48th: The Other Friend

HINTED

I contemplated whether I would have a turkey sandwich or chicken and fries for lunch. The cook, Miss Hannah, looks at me sweetly. They say she came from Britain that's why she has a peculiar accent among us. She also got the same feature British people has- a long, slightly crooked nose, round lips, high cheekbones and deep blue eyes which crinckles whenever she smiles.

She has been there, cooking delicious food for the students at the school canteen, even when I was not yet born. My mother said that she found the love of her lifetime there, a man named John, who was also a cook. Unfortunately, John died early from stage-four lung cancer. Miss Hannah was left in the school kitchen, alone and broken-hearted. That must be the reason why she could not leave the kitchen. Why she had managed to put up with our nuisance. Because in the school canteen, she met her man, loved her lover, and lost him. It stores the memories she treasures the most.

I look at her, wih the counter between us, and I wonder why she could not give up the position yet. Haven't she gone tired of recalling her memories? Of why she was still leaving in her past? I wanted to ask her, but the other students standing behind me started to protest. One even asked me if I planned to starve them all as my form of revenge to their insults to me a few days ago. So I picked up the sandwhich and rushed towards the table at the corner of the room.

I put the tray in the table and sat down. I picked up my sandwhich and peered outside. The table has become my permanent place. No one would dare to sit on it because they know I am sitting there, and no one would want to sit in a chair where an outcast used to sit. So I basically marked it as mine. But the place was nice. It is a little bit far from other tables, and it has a window perched in it, letting me see the basket ball court below.

Hyuna just  gave me a disgusted look when I offered her a bite from my sandwhich. "Don't you know how many calories that sandwhich has? It will take you half an hour of running in the treadmill just to burn that calories!" She shrieked.

 Im Hyuna. Do you still remember her? Of course, you do. What am I thinking. Hyuna is a hard person to miss. She is a remarkable person, and I am not just talking about what she did to me, I am talking about her personality. She always stands out among the crowd. She might be not tall, but her beauty makes up for her height. Her pale face, on fleek eyebrows, long lashes, big brown eyes and small nose combines together to make a perfect look. Her brain doesn't have any filter that's why she always picks up fight, which are mostly from her fellow cheerleaders. She is assistant president in the school's cheerleading team. And because cheerleaders are required to be y, you can also count on her on that field. She really wanted to be the head cheerleader even if she was still a child, and now that she is a step away from it, she maintains her slim body by going on a diet.

"I'm hungry." I replied to her, my mouth stuffed with food.

She sighed, annoyed at me because I never listen to her lectures to me about my high-calorie content diet. I didn't know that time as to why she became my friend. She's pretty, y and popular. She is everything I am not. She can easily mingle with everyone. She can be a friend to anyone. And yet, why choose me? Why me, who is a loser and an outcast?

"You know, you have to eat the right number of calories a day..." I just look at her as goes on to her speech about calories and losing weight and being y, but unlike those other times where I cut her, I just let her chatter on. A small smile forms into my lips as I look at her animated face and expression. Maybe she is with me because she doesn't care about what others say about me. Maybe she doesn't care about the heirarchy in the school. Maybe she sees whatever quality I don't see in myself that makes her stay with me.

Because she has a golden heart.

Suddenly, I can't stop the tears from flowing. Hyuna immediately sits up and offers me a tissue.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" She said, while helping me wipe away the flowing tears. Her beautiful face creasing to show her concern.

"I'm... I am... I am just happy." I sobbed. "Because you are with me. Thank you."

"Pabo. I thought you were hurt or whatever bad thing has happened to you that made you cry. I thought it was worse." She sneered. "You are so full of drama. What's so important with you having me as a friend? It should be me who should be thankful to have you as my friend."

Her words meant to cheer me up so that I would stop crying, but instead it did the opposite to me. Her words filled my heart with warmth. She cannot look at me in the eyes anymore. She hates drama. She used to turn off the tv once a crying scene comes up, so I can just understand her discomfort during that time. She looks out the window as I continue to sob, overwhelmed with joy and gratitude.