End

Cigarette Daydreams

 

 
It was a typical night for Bae Suji, the epitome of disguised innocence. Her white chiffon dress fell to the grown giving the illusion that she floated on air, her dark locks were messily kept in a bun on the nape of her neck, some whisks framing her face. Suji's red stained lips curled upward watching people dance and be merry. Her pale fingers grabbed her fluke, chugging the rest of the cheap champagne that she got one of her friends to smuggle for her. She watched from the glass balcony the flashing lights of neon colors dance along with the environment. Suji herself wasn't fond of dancing in crowds, instead she liked to judge from atop. Making a story in her head of every stranger on the dance floor. 
 
Not long after mindlessly looking down she felt a presence stand next to her, she choose to ignore it. A cigarette came in her line of vision, already knowing whom it was from she grabbed the cancer stick and brought it  to her lips. She finally turned to acknowledge the person who offered her a drag. She looked at him a flash of a genuine smile darted across her face. 
 
"I got you." He said leaning closer to her, putting fire to her cigarette. From the dark lighting she saw his puppy like eyes, his hair a usual mess and his lips formed a lopsided smile. 
 
"Thanks." She said a drag of smoke coming out from her pure lips. 
 
"I'm surprised you're at such a posh club." He said smirking. 
 
"Well Soojung wanted to see her man and I decided to tag along." Her voice came out raspy but soft at the same time. That only made him lean closer. Suji could smell the expensive cologne he wore and the faint smell of manly musk. It thrilled her. 
 
"Never pegged you for a third wheel type of girl."
 
"Free booze."
 
-
 
She found herself outside with him at the back of the club where the dumpster resided leaning against the wall drinking from a flask.  They didn't talk much and she liked it that way sometimes they said to much getting themselves in unnecessary trouble. Even though it was cold she didn't mind it, it made her feel alive. 
 
"Come here." He said opening his leather jacket to embrace her in his own warmth. Suji didn't hesitate and scooted closer to him. He engulfed her in his jacket. Her face pressed on his chest and her freezing fingers wrapped around his lean waist. He was taller than her, she missed it. Missed them. 
 
"Why?" She asked a bit muffled from her face still buried in his chest. She oddly felt safe in his arms. A sense of comfort filled her up whole. 
 
"Why what?"
 
"Why did we loose ourselves?"
 
He didn't respond but Suji knew he was thinking deeply. His heart had speeded up and his grip on her tighten a bit. She never could read him well no matter how goofy he was he was the one person she could never read. 
 
"Because we did." He finally answered. But it wasn't the answer she was looking for. 
 
"I really did." Suji said not wanting to find out what she started. But he knew what she was talking about.
 
"Me too."
 
-
 
Suji closed the door behind her. His apartment smelled of him. The place itself brought her memories. She was now taking off his jacket, Suji wanted to keep it as a treasure. Like many other things she kept for herself that belonged to him.
 
Everything looked the same, the smell of cigarettes and fried food. The hole in the wall, the chipped paint, scattered ash trays and the piano next to the window. She walked towards the piano her fingers grazing the white and black keys. Suji didn't know why she was there, everything was starting to hurt and like always she wanted to runaway. Her feet wanted to move but her mind wouldn't listen to her. 
 
"I see you kept it."
 
"I couldn't let it go."
 
"Why?"
 
"You know why. It's the same reason why you're here." He walked closer to her.
 
Suji didn't see it coming. His lips crashed on hers. Not in an urgent way like they used to. This time his kiss was delicate, sincere; almost apologetic. She kissed him back, her now shaky hands circled around his neck. His hands squeezed her sides, she wasn't dreaming. She felt it the same ignition that he always seemed to start in the pit of her stomach. 
 
She pulled away, her eyes open and searching.  His eyes were still closed as she looked at him. She was on her tippy toes, forehead to forehead. It was crucial for her to know what was going through his mind.  
 
"Wonpil."
 
"Hmm..."
 
"Let's go back."
 
With his eyes closed, he nodded a lopsided smile grazing his face. 
 
"Let's."