part one: that moment when your friend has a boyfriend

love is nonsensical

Term papers were due in two weeks but the content in his cluttered Cloud Drive had nothing to do with psychoanalysis. In fact, passing glances to his open documents could probably warrant his need for one.

File after file of music started yet unfinished.

It wasn’t like he wasn’t focused on schoolwork – because he was – but he had this nagging thought digging into him for months now. It was an idea for a piece and he’d be damned if he’d settle for something that wasn’t every bit perfect. So, when he came to a crossroads in his writing, he’d scrap it.

His phone screen lit up again for the third time in maybe the last two hours. How much time had he spent like this – sprawled out, upside down, legs kicked over the back of the couch? Last time he’d checked the clock it read 1:24 P.M.

It was now 3:05 P.M.

Exhaling slowly, the light haired boy grabbed for his cell phone and pulled it close to his face so he could read the text messages he’d missed.

 

1:45 P.M

From: Joonie

Message: don’t forget to load the dishwasher – jin will be pissed if the dishes aren’t done.

 

2:24 P.M

From: okay mom

Message: I won’t be home until later tonight. Don’t forget the dishes. Leave the key in the usual place, please.

 

3:03 P.M

From: Joonie

Message: dinner tonight with jackson. you’re buying because you’re so nice. comb your hair this time.

 

His tongue pressed hard into his cheek as he swiped at the keys, a few choice responses coming to mind about what exactly he could “eat” and when he could eat it. Midway through, he exhausted himself and erased it, simply sending back:

 

3:07 P.M

To: Joonie

Message: off

 

He would get the deeper meaning behind his two words; Namjoon knew him better than he sometimes knew himself. Only sometimes, though, like now. If that tall piece of wanted dinner so bad, well, Yoongi was at least picking the place. This is how the concept of his misunderstood sweetness came about. It seemed he did have a soft spot for the six best friends he’d gotten involved with in the past few years. They were unlike the many people he’d grown up with. The biggest difference being that they – mostly – left him alone. They understood his moods and could read him like the weathered book he was, determining what he needed and when they should leave him be.

He’d deny it if it was brought up, but he guessed he cared for them, too, quite a bit. This was the very reason that he was letting Namjoon off easy, the reason that he was rooming with three of the six brats he’d decided to call friends. In reality, they fought more like a family.

Swinging his legs over to where he could sit up, he made sure to shoot Namjoon another message about where he’d be oh so graciously paying for their meal before closing his laptop and heading for the shower.

Love was nonsensical.

Namjoon was also a nonsensical person, it seemed, because although he didn’t outright claim truth to this – Yoongi and the others could pretty much tell his association with Jackson extended far beyond Model UN. There’s only so much time you can argue as delegates of foreign nations before the time spent together is deemed extracurricular. So, in that logic, Namjoon totally had eyes for Jackson. It was a bit weird, honestly. Yoongi had never been interested, per say, in anyone. Especially not enough to where he spent a majority of his precious free time with them. And while all of this was true, he still had eyes.

And those eyes could wander if they wanted – sometimes they did – but they hadn’t rested on any one person long enough for interest to be found.

He thought if he ever looked at someone the way Jackson looked at Namjoon, it was safe to assume he was out of his mind.

 

He was toweling off when he heard the padding of footsteps over the sound of his music. With one hand scrubbing a towel against his damp hair and the other grabbing for his cellphone, he turned the music down long enough to holler out a short ‘hey’ before beginning to get dressed.

Floppy blonde locks were tucked under a knitted beanie, a loose shirt and jeans tugged on haphazardly while the voices outside the door grew closer. He guessed Namjoon and Jimin had arrived home from the library already and would be getting ready for dinner later, too.

“Hey, did you get my text earlier?” His voice was rough, giving way to the obvious fact that he hadn’t been using it.

“Yeah- sounds good. You’re paying anyway, not like I can put up much of a fuss.”

Jimin was grinning, sprawled out on Namjoon’s bed as Yoongi entered. They exchanged a look of ‘this guy’ before Yoongi focused his attention on the lovebird. “Damn right you can’t. Why am I paying again? I thought you got paid like three days ago.”

“You thought right! But tonight is special. We’re finally –“

“—you’re finally going to ask him out!” Jimin interjected, throwing a hand up as if asking for a high-five. Namjoon’s head snapped to the youngest one in the household and he swatted at the extended hand.

“It’s not like that! Jackson and I are just friends—“

“Yeah, until tonight!”

Jimin’s hand was grabbed this time, Namjoon using his own to twist a burn against the other’s arm. Through the hissing, Jimin still managed to grin, obviously amused at the reaction he was getting.

“As I was saying,” he paused long enough to grab a pillow, planting it firmly on Jimin’s face with his free hand not holding the wrist, “tonight is special because we’re meeting his other friends.”

Yoongi’s eyes drifted from the phone where he was scrolling Twitter, back up to Namjoon who seemed to have finally found amusement with bothering Jimin. His other friends? He’s known about them for a while – mainly because Namjoon blabs about everything Jackson related – but he only knew names. If he saw them in passing he’d be clueless.

“All of them?” He sounded resolved, but inside he was less than calm. He wasn’t necessarily a fan of large gatherings. Especially when he didn’t know the people.

“Nah- only JB, Junior, and Youngjae could make it. Mark and BamBam and Yugyeom had plans to go see some foreign film for their class.” Namjoon was busying himself with his phone as he spoke, most likely texting Jackson about how much food they could put down, clearly missing the priceless look on Yoongi’s face. “Why? Is there a problem?”

That sounded like a challenge.

“Of course not.” He could play it cool. “Just wondering.” Smooth, Yoongi. “You know- needed to figure how much money to bring with me. Are you at least covering drinks later?”

“I’m not going out after dinner tonight.” Namjoon finally peered up long enough, glancing from Jimin to Yoongi. “Jackson and I have a—“

“A date!”

And the torture on Jimin continued.