end

miasma sky

Sweaty palms and heavy steps, the undying fear penetrates through her. The loud drop of her boots shakes the empty aisles of what used to be canned goods, and she bites down on her tongue, keeping herself from making noise. "Dahyun." She whispers, her words seething past her gritted teeth. "Dahyun?" A bubbling swirl of nervousness twists her insides as there's not a single sound in response. Her legs numb, the shaking of them unbearable for her to get to the other side. She steps by a rummage of crumpled bags of chips of what used to edible. Her black ink boots slide against the dirty marble covering on the floor, thinking if this place had actually been a supermarket.

 

But truthfully that should be the least of her worries.

 

Her hands trail along the end of the shelves, hiding close behind despite her lanky tall height. She holds the urge back to curse herself out loud, her weakness to blend in with her surroundings coming back to bite.

 

She should've died by now.

 

The gray undertone of the dim supermarket stands cold and the smell of rotting flesh wafts around some time and around. She tries to get used to it, but the odor keeps slipping by to only hit from the behind with a hard cough pressed against . She tugs at her coat, shutting herself out from late fall cold. The sudden thinking she's stuck in this apocalyptic world sends chills down her spine, goosebumps spiking out from her skin. She needs to quickly find Dahyun, the girl with a flare of orange, pink, red ends bouncing around everywhere she goes.

 

She needs to hear her voice.

 

"Dahyun?" her voice trails faint in the next few aisles along with the steps of her boots. "C'mon, you better not be hiding." It was only a mere wish that the older girl wasn't pulling her leg, tricking her into another one of her cruel jokes. But it certainly didn't seem to be one as there wasn't a single sound around.

 

Did she leave her? Is she hiding? Was she forgotten? Have they gotten to her?

 

No, she shouldn't be thinking like that. She shakes her head, patting the sides of her face to get her back into concentration. So, she continues walking, more less dragging her body into what was the frozen food section of the store. It was no longer running, the meat below her gone bad with a foul stench. She races by, entering rows of sweets and candy.

 

But an uneasy feeling settles down when she picks up a sound of  movement nearby. There's rustle of shuffling from behind and she stands frozen to the sound growing louder and louder. Her feet's glued to the floor, her legs becoming a puddle of jelly as the sound is close, so close to the point where their breath brushes against the shell of her ear. And a hand brushes against her shoulder gently.

 

A high pitched shriek escapes her, arms flailing to push the thing behind her away, far away as possible. She shuts her eyes, flapping her long arms as somewhat as a threat, but nothing bites, hits, or attacks.

 

There's only laughter, happy, bubbly laughter. And she cracks open her eyes to the sight of a girl bent over in laughter as she flips back her fiery pink orange ends.

 

"Dahyun!" Her voice cracks in embarrassment, face tinted in a red hue.

 

"Pft, Tzuyu," Dahyun giggles, "you should've seen yourself. You were all like ah! Oh!" Dahyun starts to imitate Tzuyu throwing her arms back and forth in amusement.

 

"That wasn't funny." Tzuyu glares, arms crossed with the effort to look 'angry'.

 

"C'mon, won't you give me a smile, it was funny."

 

"No, it wasn't." Tzuyu narrows her eyes, preventing herself to fall for Dahyun's playful pout.

 

"Really?"

 

Tzuyu sighs and loosens her stiffened shoulders with her crossed arms, to slowly put out a small smile on her lips. "Fine. I have to say you actually got me there."

 

Her endearing grin spreads on her face and a cheerful laugh spills out. "That's right. I, Kim Dahyun, still got it."

 

"But seriously, don't do that ever again. You almost gave me a heart attack."

 

Dahyun raises her hands up in defeat. "Okay, okay I won't do it since my little Tzuyu said so."

 

"Oh shut up."



 




 

"Did get you what we needed?" Tzuyu asks, struggling to keep up the duffle bag full of necessities, up on her shoulder.

 

"Of course. Food, water...and candy." A smug smile slips its way on Dahyun as she holds up the other bag.

 

"Candy?" Tzuyu's face lights up while they continue walking out the supermarket.

 

"Yeah, I grabbed them just for you," Dahyun states proudly, standing taller than she is, boastfully. "Because I love and care so much for you."

 

Tzuyu rolls her eyes. "Whatever you say."

 

"C'mon, at least Chaeyoung would agree with me–" Dahyun cuts short, spotting the short brunette waiting by the corner. Her face lights up, hitching a run at the very next second leaving Tzuyu in the dust.

 

A short haired brunette perks up to the sound of loud footsteps and feels an immediate warm hug enveloping her from the behind. (She knows exactly who it is). "Wow. Dahyun you actually made it out alive?" Swiveling her head to the side, Chaeyoung raises her eyebrows.

 

"It could've gone worse," Dahyun grins, letting go of Chaeyoung. "Tzuyu could've killed me with her giraffe long arms."

 

Tzuyu's whine echoes, and Chaeyoung turns around with a laugh. "What did she do to you?"

 

With a grim frown, Tzuyu drops the bags gently and sighs. "She purposely pulled a prank on me at the worst possible time!"

 

"Hey, it was totally harmless." Shrugging, Dahyun pulls off a lopsided grin. "She didn't die or anything."

 

"What do you mean it's okay? It wasn't." Tzuyu puffs up her cheeks, waiting for Chaeyoung to say something, do something. Like a little kid waiting for their mom to scold the other sibling for their wrongdoings, but cheated off by the guilt trip card.

 

"Can't really say anything, since the both of you are pretty much overreacting." Chaeyoung admits, "so let's just pick up the bags and take them back to dorm."

 

"Oh fine." Tzuyu heaves the bag over her shoulder, watching Dahyun prop a bag on her back. "I'd rather go home anyway."

 

Home. (Technically there's no such thing as home. It doesn't really exist at a point in an apocalypse. It settles to a point where each place Tzuyu ends up staying is another temporary closed off apartment. An unusual smell she's not used to. Clothes she haven't owned before. Shoes she hasn't worn before. Instant food that lies untouched in the cabinets. The rest she doesn't want to get into). She wants to go home. She wants the secure feeling of being safe. Her mother's arm wrapping around in a hug–

 

–a warm touch snakes around her side and Tzuyu looks down.

 

It's Dahyun.

 

Dahyun. Sometimes being with her doesn't feel bad. It's a light, fuzzy warmth she can't help but to relate. She's not her mom, definitely not, but still Dahyun's close. Something that tells her to refuse to believe an apocalypse had actually happened. A widespread disease, the ones in those movies, those shows. Tzuyu clicks her tongue and slips an arm on Dahyun's shoulder.

 

They've already reached the temporary two floor apartment, all sighing together in relief as Chaeyoung's manages to unlock the door open. It's small, a simple one–two person stay, but three might manage to fit. Tzuyu groans as she drags herself up the stairs before Chaeyoung takes the heavy bag from her hands.

 

"Oh thanks," Tzuyu breathes.

 

"No problem."  Chaeyoung nods, laying it on the wood polished floor when she finishes the last step up. Tzuyu does too, pulling off her coat in desperation.

 

"Wow, we're finally home."

 

Dahyun hums in agreement, peeling off her varsity jacket in relaxation. She drops down effortlessly on the couch as she were to savor the little time they had before they were to head out.



 



 

Chaeyoung shushes the other two, putting a hand behind her to stop them. “We have to be extremely cautious guys, we can’t take any chances to make loud noises to attract them, got it Da-”

 

A clash of breaking glass echoes and Chaeyoung whips her head back behind where Tzuyu stands buried in her red scarf  refusing to look her into eyes. And Chaeyoung fixates her gaze upon Dahyun who’s reaching past the broken glass display to shove chocolate into her pockets. A neverend of Dahyun’s name spills from Chaeyoung as she stares numbly at the scene.

 

“Dear lord...what are you doing!” Chaeyoung strikes a surprised pose, arms and hands outstretched to point at the absolute mess that’s been created. “You’re gonna get us all killed!”

 

“What? Look at the one who’s shouting. All I was trying to get chocolate for the fam.” Dahyun states stubbornly, eyes glint in determination.

 

“Chocolate? This isn’t the time for chocolate! You know that.”

 

“I was trying get us our favorite bar of chocolate that you so dear wanted badly! This was the perfect chance to grab and go!”

 

“But the sound of you breaking glass surely would bring a hell lot of zombies.” Chaeyoung hisses out with a hint of anger.

 

“Well–hey Tzuyu!” Dahyun immediately stretches her arm, latching her hand on Tzuyu's coat, harshly pulling her forward.

 

Tzuyu stumbles, unsure of what's happening before Dahyun's face screams of horror and shock as barely stops herself from trembling.

 

"Ahdjdshifbdkdb! Chaeyoung use your ax! Use your ax!" Dahyun shouts, still pressed close to Tzuyu.

 

Widening eyes and confusion, Chaeyoung whips her head to the side as a group of the dead mourns their way around the corner of the alleyway. With her blood running cold, she raises her ax, hacking the arm of some to at least slow them down as Dahyun fumbles with the gun in her head.

 

"Oh ! What the hell," Chaeyoung seethes, starting to pick up her feet away from the alley. "Ah forget about it Dahyun, just start running!"

 

Tzuyu feels Dahyun pulling her away, immediately reaching for her hand. Thoughts begin to run wild, her vision blurring and hazy as she can't help but to turn her head back.

 

But Chaeyoung stops her from doing so.



 

 


 

Deep breaths and heavy sighs, Tzuyu has to stop herself to breathe. She runs her fingers through her hair, a sudden shock of anxiety palpitating through her. Her gaze scatters to Chaeyoung who drops the dirtied ax onto the floor of the apartment, trudging to the bedroom in silence. Dahyun sits on quiet in bed, head in her hands as she mumbles an apology twice.

 

"This all my fault," Dahyun groans pulling the ends of her hair. "I'm so sorry."

 

Tzuyu stares down, patting her head. "Hey...it's okay. People make mistakes."

 

"But," Dahyun whimpers, "what if you or Chaeyoung got hurt."

 

Chaeyoung shifts uncomfortably at the spot, eyebrows furrowed and pressed. "Exactly," she snaps, "what if any of us got hurt? You should start by thinking ahead of yourself!"

 

Tzuyu sees Dahyun's expression of taken aback. "That's why I apologized?"

 

"But you treat this whole thing as a some comedic joke."

 

"When did I–"

 

"You do! And is this some fun game you play out in your head where everyone's happy and dandy? Us trying stay alive during a literal ing apocalypse? Tzuyu nearly died." Chaeyoung shouts, grimacing over her own words, but regretfully enjoying the burning sensation thrilling in . The exposure of her feelings. She stares, boring holes with hot anger, annoyance she's been holding.

 

Dahyun strangely stays composed however, furrowing her brows slightly. She opens , but closes it shut as if she's just breathless from this whole situation. There's a nervous glint shimmering in her eyes, a shaky weak voice starting to form words of what she dug deep inside. Her fingers nervously plays with the hem sweater, eyes drifted down in guilt.  "I'm trying though." The faint lullabic voice slithers past and Chaeyoung perks up. "I'm trying a lot to keep my position as the oldest, but it seems we're seeing things in totally different ways. All I'm trying to do is keep you guys happy. That's all I want to do."

 

Chaeyoung's expression crackles and her eyes linger back and forth between Dahyun and Tzuyu.

 

"–And all these–these depressing thoughts about us dying, is the last resort in my head. My first priority is you guys being okay–alive. So, I'm sorry if guys weren't up to that, you should've told before. The only reason I tried pulling these jokes were to keep the gloomy mood up with something better y'know?"

 

Chaeyoung's eyes widen in realization, groaning in regret as she buries her face in her hands. "Oh what have I done?" She lifts her head up apologetically, expression full of mistake and panic. "I–I–"

 

"I'm sorry." Chaeyoung whispers, ever so gently. "I'm sorry I didn't know. I–didn't know. I'm sorry. I never thought taking care of us would be such a burden."

 

There's a soft smile and Dahyun chuckles softly, "burden? No way, you and Tzuyu are the reason I'm still alive."

 

Chaeyoung picks her head up and another apology slips by.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"I'm really sorry too."."

 

"And–me."

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun turn their heads to Tzuyu who starts tearing up, vision already blurry of tears.

 

"Tzuyu why are you crying?"

 

Both struck in confusion, Dahyun stiffens and Chaeyoung debates what to do in a situation that's never happened. "Don't cry!" Chaeyoung jumps up in panic, quickly making it to the other side of the room to the taller girl. She stands unknowing what to do before Dahyun comes in with a gentle but tight hug of emotions around Tzuyu. She pulls along Chaeyoung too, their arms all entangled and circled around each other.

 

"You're a big baby," Dahyun whispers as Tzuyu whimpers out a cry with a puddle of hot tears, soaking her sweater. "A really big baby."

 

"You're one too Dahyun," Chaeyoung mutters back, clinging on tighter.

 

"No–no, I'm quite the mature 18 year old here." Dahyun chokes out between a blur of tears building up in her eyes.

 

"Look at you," Chaeyoung smiles, "already crying before me?"

 

"Oh stop it," Dahyun sniffles, burying her face at the crook Tzuyu's neck. "I won't cry."

 

Tzuyu stops sobbing, gathering herself together to then replace all the crying with a weak grin. She sniffles back in all the tears and swallows hard. She lets go of the hug, taking in a deep breath. "I love you guys."

 

Startled, Chaeyoung looks up with wide eyes and quickly hides the pink color that washes lightly over her cheeks in surprise. She covers it with a loud cough and hears Dahyun's snarkish laugh stifle.

 

"Me–me too. I l–love you too."

 

She sees Tzuyu cringe at the spot, but nonetheless a lit up smile stays evident. Dahyun sighs in relief, habitually running a hand through her hair. "Oh god, I love you guys so much, it makes my heart warm," she starts, gleaming in pride. Chaeyoung burns lights red in embarrassment, and Tzuyu laughs tiredly as she plops down the bed beside her.

 

Tzuyu doesn't feel so much as distant–or was it emptiness? It was awkward, but the sweet comfort riles her up for the next day as she curls up on the large bed next to Chaeyoung. Her body's closer, warmer than the time they first met when they fought over who got the last can of soup or when Dahyun nearly blew them to bits. Surely she'll remember those, but right now she figures it'll be better to sleep than dulge into a sentimental memory search. She has to wake up for the next watch anyway.

 

Dahyun takes the first shift by the door, sitting down with an open pack of gummy bears laying on her lap, a pistol on her hand firmly gripped and the ax and rifle laying by the stand near the bed. It reminds her, pulls her back into reality where this isn't a place where she could sleep the day off. It's a place she has to stay woke.

 

She turns, staring at the low flickering colors of orange and blue crackling on the tip of the lighter. A little flame dances joyous as Chaeyoung flicks it on and off back and forth. The metallic lighter soon clicks shut and Tzuyu can't help but to drift slowly into slumber. Her eyelids are heavy as ever, swollen at most and she can't help but to let them fall shut. The sun's already set down early, the curse of the late fall season. Blue orange speckled colors dim with the sundown and soon the stars are lit bright. With the star scattered sky, it starts to feel like hushed hazy voices in nighttime cityscapes when she drowns out from the view of the window.

 

Chaeyoung flicks the lighter on again.

 

Tzuyu closes her eyes.

 

Dahyun starts to hum a lullaby.

 

And she thinks maybe everything's going to be alright, because as long as it's the three of them, everything's going to be okay.

 

Just maybe.








 

————

a/n: //story so far unedited.

but wow this has been sitting on my docs for weeks and it's done. hopefully it's not as disappointing as it's ooc. but like yo thanks for all the subs, upvotes and comments.

thank you all///