the Shinning Star

the Shinning Star

 

            Black cloud crawled against the inky sky. In a distance, a thunder rolled and lightning flashed. After a moment, a drop of water hit the earth and was followed by a zillion of them. I looked outside through the window panes. I was not looking at anything particular. Without I realized, a drop of clear water rolled down on my cheek. I turned and looked at a picture. The vivid picture of a girl with a blonde hair emerged in my mind. Then, unexpected memories came to say hi and brought me away with it.

 

"Please, Jessica! Don't you think about it? Don't do it!" I appealed. She moved her right foot one step back.

"What are she thinking?" My heart pondered as she tried to do something that was unthinkable. She fathomed her arms and looked into the sky like a baby bird learnt how to fly. She turned her view by looking at me with a charming smile. I was stunned.

“Don’t do it. Please!” I appealed again. In a blink of eyes, she was gone. She jumped.

 

"Cut! Good job everybody. Now, all of you can hit the hay as long as you want to." uttered Mr. Choi, our director.

The suicide scene was the finale cut for our new movie 'Shining as the star'. I was jubilant when all of this had over after pulling everyone's shoulder on the wheel.

           

Jessica strolled towards me and waved at me. I just smiled at her in return. I have known Jessica since middle school but our friendships only started during high school as we entered the same Culture & Drama club. Jessica and I were in different class. I remembered our first handshakes in front of the club and she had her brightest smile on her face. She was beautiful.

 

Our friendships continued after high school. We still kept in touch even we were in different colleges. One day, both of us went for an audition for the famous director's up coming movie. As if the Fortune God opened a fate door for us, we were given a ticket to be part of the Hollywood world. I did not want to miss the boat and so did she. That was how our acting career started.

 

"Here. As. I. Had. Promised." She said. As usual, after we finished acting in one movie, we would go for a vacation. It has been our tradition. "No, you keep the ticket." I looked at her and spoke. I explained to her that I hoped Jessica and her fiancé, Leo went to Capri Island and had unforgettable memories there. I died to stay and rest at my place and played with Lexi. He must miss me so much.

After 12 years of acting I learned east or west, home is the best. “Seriously? But-” “No but.” I cut her before she can proceed. “Let’s make it as a pre-wedding gift from me. Beside, I had a call from complaint department. They said there is a certain dark monkey saying that his fiancé spend a lot of time with me instead of him and he misses her so much.” I added. Jessica was astonished to hear that. She jumped and jumped and screamed at the same time and threw her arms around my neck as the final excitement to appreciate me. There, I saw it again. Her brightest smile.

 

A night before her flight, we managed to go shopping and spent a couple of hours together. We walked around the street. We sat on a bench with a frappuccino in our hands. We looked at luminous stars dancing with the lunar. That night was filled with natural beauties.

"If I’m a star, I will be that one. The one beside the big one.” she pointed. “Why not pick the big one?” I asked as I sipped my drink.

“Because the big star is you. Just like you. Prettyful.” She answered.

“pftt. Prettyful is not a word.” I said.

“Yes it is. It’s combination of pretty and beautiful.”  She showed her brightest smile again. I blushed. “or... pretty and fool.” She teased.

“Asshat.” I spoke while I hit her arm lightly. “I think someone spike your drink.” I added. She laughed.

“haa.. I’m gonna miss you in Capri.” She started after our laugh lowered down. I smiled in return and finished my drink.

"Thank you, Yul. For everything." she chattered as I kept silent. “I don’t know if I can survive in this world if it’s not because of you. For 12 years you have been my pillar, you know that right?”

I nodded spontaneously with her question and she continued. “When something got so hard, I lost. I look at you. I found myself again. I found my way home. You shine the brightest just like that star.” She placed her hand on mine and I looked at her. She wore a smile which I could not recognise.

I knew all of her smile. I knew her happy smile, falling-in-love smile, creepy smile, sad smile, fake smile, guilty smile, want-to-punch-someone’s-face smile or her smile when she prank someone. Her current smile was not in all of the categories. I pondered.

I took her drink and drank it. “Yup. Someone had spiked your drink.” I said and in sudden, trying to light up the moment,  she pushed me off the bench.

“Nice way to ruin the moment, Kwon.” She huffed and I laughed. I stood up and sat on the bench again.

I cupped her face and said “You’re most welcome. Even though you don’t say it, I know.” “Okay.” She replied. “As much as you love me, I love you too.” I added and hugged her.

“It’s late. Let’s go back. I think your monkey is waiting for you.” I smirked, trying to suppress my laugh.

“Yah! He is not a monkey.” she exclaimed and pushed me off the bench again.

“Oww! Poor my ” My hurt. I glared at her as she helped me stood up and brush dirt off my . She playfully smacked my . She had her satisfaction smile on.

 

"You never say goodbye, do you?" I quized her.

"Never!" she screamed as she walked to her gate. “I’ll bring back a boyfriend for you!” she waved.

I thumbed up and waved back at her. She had her happy smile on.

 

I drove home. I took a comfortable long bath with a pleasant aroma after I hit a long road from the airport. I fed Lexi and looked how cute he was. His white fuzzy fur made me felt calm. A few minutes later, something had snatched my attention.

There was a plane crash in the middle of South China Sea. I gazed closely and heard each word that the reporter said. "Breaking news,today at 2030 in local time. the M750 Asia plane heading to Italy had crashed in the middle of Arabian Sea. There was a squall and the pilot could not control the plane save fully. All of 230 victims are now in search."

"What?" I raved.

 

A sudden tap on my shoulder brought me back to earth. "We’re here." my producer said. Tonight was our movie premiere. I closed the album on my lap and jumped out from the limo. I looked at the stars and the vivid picture of Jessica was still playing in my mind. “I missed you.” I walked through the red carpet, borrowing your brightest smile for tonight.