Final

When You Know

First day of college

  You walked to your new dorm, in your new university, far away from your home, friends and family. It seemed scary but you're still excited, and as the building comes into view you develop a slight spring in your step. It's definitely big, though it doesn't really look like a dorm. It's more of a really big house. It was wooden and cozy, and as you walk in you're greeted by a girl with long brown hair. "Hi, I'm Mina!", she says. She shows you to your room, which is on the top floor of the building. There's another room on your floor, and both rooms have their own bathroom. You have a small shared living room space with a fire place for winter. The house has a total of three floors, each with two rooms. The ground floor is where the kitchen is placed, as well as the main living room with the television and bean bags. It's really different from where you lived back home, you didn't even have winter where you came from. You step back and smile. You have a good feeling about this.

  You start unpacking your bags, and hang your clothes in the closet. You unload your books as well, and shove your luggage bag into the store room. You then walk out into the living room space and sit there admiring the view at the window, which looks out onto the gorgeous garden. You hear faint footsteps, and a pair of bunny slippers comes into view. Your floormate introduces herself as Talia, and you sit there talking for a while. By the end of the day you've met all the girls in your dorm, Talia, Mina, Denise, Kei, and Kyoko. Luckily, none of them are disagreeable, although Denise and Kei are a bit quiet. You lie on your bed smiling and thinking that university life will be rather fun. 

  The next day, you walk to your first class with Kyoko. You take seats next to each other and chit-chat for a while before class starts. The lecturer does basic introductions and instructs the class to form groups of four. The two boys on the table in front of yours turn in their seats. The one with dark hair smiles. "What's the point in moving,eh?", he says lazily. His friend smacks him upside the head and snipes. "That's just because your is too heavy to move." The dark haired one ignores him and looks at the two of you. "Hey guys, I'm Wonwoo, and this tomato head here is Joshua." Said 'tomato head' starts griping that his hair is "most definitely orange,not red!". The four of you get to know each other, and you find out that they've known each other since childhood, and you exchange numbers. The boys attempt to walk you to your next class, but it turns out that your Dietetics class and Kyoko's Psychology class is in the opposite direction from their Algebra class. Ha. Joshua turns and offers a small wave and smile, which you return. 

Sunday, first week of school

  You walk out of campus, heading towards the church a few blocks away. You're wearing a mint strapless sundress with a black lace kimono cardigan. You bring along your small purse which has your wallet and phone in it. You sit at the second pew from the front and start saying the rosary while waiting for mass to start. Mass goes as it usually would, and as you exit the church, you spot a familiar head of orange hair. "Joshua!", you call out. He turns and smiles when he sees you. He walks over to you, and the two of you start talking. "Hey there, I didn't think I'd be seeing you here", he says. "Me neither", you answer. He tells you that he's been frequenting the church with his family for the past 20 years, and then offers to walk you back to campus. He goes to hug his parents and sister goodbye, and you set off. "Why do you stay at campus if your family is right here?", you ask him.  He shakes his head and says "Nah, I don't rent a room on campus or anything, but a few of my old friends are from another state and they've rented a whole house to themselves, so me and Wonwoo crash there during the week." 

  There aren't any classes on Sunday, and the dance studio at the campus only opens at 5pm. You're pretty much at a loss on what to do. Joshua looks at his watch. "It's about 1, do you wanna grab some lunch?" he asks. You nod yes and he leads you to a cafe on campus. It has a burgundy interior which contrasts nicely with the black and white checkered furniture. "They have the best ciabatta sandwiches here", he told you. You guys were sitting at a two-person booth somewhere in the middle of the cafe, since those were the only seats left. You ordered a grilled chicken sandwich, and he ordered beef. While waiting for your food to arrive, you wracked your brain trying to figure out what to say to him. He breaks the silence first. "You're not from around here, right? How are you liking it so far?" he asks. You smile and tell him how excited you are to be here. "My housemates are really cool too, we've all already clicked", you say. Your food arrives and you start eating. Joshua smiles to see you enjoying it. After you've both finished, you pay for your meals and head out of the cafe.

 "Where's your dorm? I'll walk you there, not much going on today anyways", says Joshua. "It's near the west wing, the dorm with the big blue mailbox", you answer. He walks you to your dorm, the two of you chatting along the way. You go to ring the doorbell and Mina opens the door for you. "Joshua, hi!!" she exclaims when she sees him, then widens her eyes comically at you. He laughs and returns the greeting, then turns to walk away. "Bye Mina!", he says to her, then turns to you. "It was nice talking today, if you want maybe I could walk you to church next week?" he says to you. You smile and nod, then wave goodbye. Mina pulls you into the dorm, closing and latching the door. She grabs you by the shoulders. "Details. Now." She looks rather serious, but she doesn't seem to have any bad intentions so that puts you at ease. "Well we're in the same group in Literature class, and I happened to see him at church, and then we went for lunch, and then he walked me back here", you say. 

  "I have known Joshua Hong Ji Soo for the past eighteen years, and he has never offered to walk a girl home", says Mina. "He's best friends with my brother Seungcheol, and our parents are friends, so I've practically known him all my life", she explains. You relocate to her room, where she sits you down on the bed. "How do you feel about him? Are there any sparks? Gosh, I hope there are, he's never seriously liked a girl in his life and that idiot is fragile and I think you'd be a good match and I hope this works out and amagash if this works out I'm totally guaranteed a spot as maid of honor right?", she shoots off in one go. "We just met, I bet he was just being polite", you say. "You totally don't believe that, look, you're blushing!", she squeals. You sigh and try covering your face. "If anything else happens, you have to tell me, okays?" said Mina, busting out some aegyo to try and get you to agree. "Alright, alright. I doubt anything would happen though", you say. 

Two months into the semester

  So far, you and Joshua have been walking to and from church together every week, and Mina had already spread the news to Talia, Denise, Kei and Kyoko, all of whom teased you relentlessly every time Joshua walked you home. Kyoko had also gotten Wonwoo in on the teasing, which made things slightly awkward during class. And, as it seems, things weren't very different at Joshua's dorm either. 

  "Guess what, boys!", Wonwoo had come yelling into the dorm after class one day. Jun, who was half asleep on the sofa, threw a pillow at him. "What is it, Wonwhore?", he asked. Wonwoo looked around, then ran into the other rooms, pulling Seungcheol, Jihoon and Jeonghan out. Joshua looked on, having no idea what was going on. "Okay,big news, my children", Wonwoo started, then looked around the living room excitedly. The others were barely half as enthused as he was. "Our Joshua here...has found a girl!", he exclaimed, prompting Jun to launch himself on Joshua. "Who is it, you little tomato? Why didn't you tell Junnieeeee?", he whined. Joshua pulled Jun off. "It's not like that, guys, we just go to church together", he tried explaining. "Okay, one, there's a chapel right on campus, so you two must be the only ones who make the twenty minute trek, and two, my sister's been squealing that you walked her back to the dorm too", deadpanned Seungcheol. All eyes turned to Seungcheol. "You knew? You knew and you didn't tell us?" Jihoon shrieked. Seungcheol shrugged. "You guys would've found out sooner or later", he said with a shrug.

  "Dude, remember when Yena asked you to walk her home that once? You hoisted her off on Chae Hyungwon and lied that you had to make a baking soda volcano for algebra", said Wonwoo pointedly. "Well, Yena wasn't my type. You know how she was..", Joshua trailed off. "Hah! So this girl is your type then?", asked Jeonghan with a smirk. "Guys! I didn't mean it like that!" Joshua tried defending himself, but to no avail. He spent the rest of the day being pelted with pillows (by Jun), being given bogus dating advice (courtesy of Wonwhore), being dragged to his closet and made to pick out numerous date outfits 'just in case' (by Jeonghan), hearing a male voice crying "My little tomato sprout is all grown up, mommy has to let you go now" (Jihoon), and last but certainly not least, having both Mina and Seungcheol trying to set up 'coincidental' encounters. "Oh, how about we lock them in one of the classrooms?" (Mina was on the phone, hiding in a corner of her room while she made sure Denise kept you busy watching a movie). 

One moonlit night in Joshua Hong's moonlit sanctuary

  'Well, she's cute, that's for sure. Cute never got me to act like this though. She's got nice eyes, and lips, and mhmm those hips- Joshua, stop! Bad thoughts, bad thoughts!' Joshua was rolling around in his bed, lost in his own thoughts. 'The guys seem to think this is going somewhere, and so does Mina- and the rest of her dorm. Wait, does that mean that she knows too? She hasn't acted differently, but what if she totally hates me for making things awkward? But wait, when I'm with her she looks like she's enjoying herself. Does she like me back? Wait, when did I decide I like her?' He sighs to himself and decides there's only one thing to do- let Jesus take the wheel. He folds his hands and looks to the ceiling. 'Hi, God, it's me. I've never felt this way about a girl, and it feels so....right. Could you, like, give me a sign or something so I'll know what to do?' he asks mentally. He feels calmer, and manages to fall asleep after that.

 Joshua's on clouds. Literally, he's walking on clouds. He hears a tinkling laugh coming from somewhere, and when he looks around he sees a girl with her back turned to him. She has long black hair and is wearing a white dress. He feels drawn closer. "Hey, are you alright?", he asks tentatively. The girl turns around. He barely manages to catch her face before he's falling, falling, falling.... off his bed and onto the wooden floor. 'So is she the one, then?' he thinks. He makes the sign of the cross and closes his eyes. 'God, that means she's the one, right? I should go for it, right? Right?' He looks at his phone and notices the time, and oh noeees, your English class starts in 10 minutes. He takes a shower at the speed of light, then grabs one of Jeonghan's meticulously prepared 'date outfits', then rushes out the door.

 He arrives at class to find you, Wonwoo and Kyoko already there. He yawns, then takes the seat next to Wonwoo. "Dude, why didn't you wake me up?" he grumbled. "I tried, man, but you didn't budge. I was half worried we'd have to call the ambulance or something", answered Wonwoo. Joshua then notices you right across from him and stutters out a greeting. You put it down to him still being tired and return his greeting with a smile. After class ends, he follows you out and asks "Hey, do you wanna grab lunch after church this week?". You can practically feel Wonwoo and Kyoko pulling out their shipper banners behind you, but you agree. Kyoko trails after you. "He totally asked you out! Don't even deny it, do not even try", she says. You sigh and smile to yourself.

'Date week', according to the residents of your dorm

  "Has he asked for your number yet?" asked Talia. Naturally, the news spread fast around your dorm, and you had the girls coming at you from all directions. Your face fell when you realised he hasn't, and Mina clocked your reaction. "It's alright, Joshua has the dating knowledge of a turnip. It probably wouldn't occur to him until Jun and Wonwoo mention it." What she didn't say, though, was that her brother had just told her that Jun had already brought it up, then responded with yet more pillow pelting after Joshua realised he hadn't thought about it. Kyoko came into the room. "Alright, you wanna look good, but don't show that you put effort into it, alright?", she said. The girls spent the rest of the night pulling out random pieces of clothing from your closet, deciding that they'd put in the effort for you. Heh. 

  Back in the boys' dorm, Wonwoo had run in squealing that "our baby tomato's all grown up now", which prompted Jeonghan to try dragging him to a hairstylist. "You can't be a tomato forever!", he was shouting. "I like my hair just fine, thank you very much", he answered indignantly. Jun popped up. "A tomato is in no ways ually appealing", he deadpanned. "I- it's our first date! We're not going anywhere near the word ual until marriage!", Joshua spluttered. "Ahah, thinking of marriage already, my boy!", shouted Jihoon who'd popped up beneath the mound of pillows in the living room. Joshua turned beet red, then sighed in exasperation. "I. Give. Up.", he groaned. He trudged up to Seungcheol's room, and let himself in. Seungcheol looked up from the book he was reading. "Well, ello there, loverboy", he said. "Is it so unbelievable that I'm interested in someone?" he asked, then sat on the bed. "Well," Seungcheol started, "Yes. But tell me, do you think she's the one? You said you wouldn't go looking for a girl until God plopped her right in front of your eyes."

  "Honestly? I think so. I prayed for a sign, and there seemed to be an affirmative....", Joshua trailed off. Seungcheol nodded. "But dude, just because you're destined for each other, it doesn't mean you don't have to court her like a normal guy. She isn't just gonna fall madly in love with you. And, to be brutally honest, to quote my sister, you really do have the dating knowledge of a turnip.", he said. Joshua groaned. "Then what do I do?" he asked. "Just listen to our suggestions more, alright? They might not suit you 100%, but some of them do work", Seungcheol offered with a smile. Joshua smiled back. "Thanks, Cheol."

  "The doorbell just rang!", squealed Kei. "Well, open it then!" yelled Denise. "Wait! Just let us put on the finishing touch!", Mina yelled back. She proceeded to spray some perfume on you, then gave Kei the thumbs up. Mina helped you do your hair for today, since you aren't very good with styling tools. You were wearing a pastel pink dress, and black ballerina flats. Your hair was done in loose waves, and you'd put on mild makeup, just some eyeliner and lipgloss. Kei opened the door, and you heard her say "Well hey Joshua! I've heard so much about you!". You groaned and rushed downstairs to save both him and yourself the embarassment. "Hi, Joshua", you said softly. He looked up at you and smiled. "Hey there. Are you ready?", he asked. You nodded, hoping to get away from your dormmates as soon as possible. "Be back by midnight!", Mina called as you walked out.

  "You didn't have to pick me up for church,you know. Our dorms are so far away", you said. "I don't have much to do in the morning anyways, plus it seemed nicer to have company on the way", he said with a smile. You guys chatted while walking, and when you got to church, you made to go in the opposite direction. "You usually sit with your family, right?", you said when he looked at you questioningly. "Well, yes, but you could stay near, it'll be easier to find you after this", he replied with a laugh. You agree, a slight blush forming on your face, and sit at the pew behind him. Before mass starts, he turns to you and says "This is gonna sound really weird, but I want you to ask God if this is right, and see what happens. I'll tell you what I'm talking about later,okay?". You're, obviously, confused by this but you nod. During the mass, you do ask, and you instantly get a peaceful, affirmative feeling. Again, you're very, very confused.

  Joshua turns to you after saying goodbye to his family, then walks you out. "So, err, did you get an answer?" he asked, somewhat awkwardly. "I'm not telling you till you tell me what this is about", you say. He sighs and decides to bring you to the cafe he picked out, and brings up the topic only after you've ordered. "Alright, so, I really hope you got an answer because if not this is gonna be the most embarassing moment of my life, but I think God is telling me you're the one." He said it rather fast, and he braced himself for your reply. "Wait, what? The one? Like your....soulmate?", you asked. "I guess you could say that. Look, I was taken by surprise too, okay? Now, did you get an answer?" he asked tentatively. You blushed bright red, looked down, and nodded. His face lit up in a smile of relief. "I'm not really sure how to do this, but let's be happy, okay?", he says.

  You eat in a somewhat awkward silence, trying to process this. He was cute, so you thanked God for that, and so far he did seem like a good guy. After you both finish, Joshua goes to pay, then leads you out. "I guess we should.... get to know each other?", he offers. You nod. "I guess so." You start to tell each other about your families and childhoods. "I really liked the Little Mermaid", you were telling him. "In other movies, the princess always gets saved by her prince, she just waits for him to show up, but Ariel found her prince, and she went out to get him herself", you said. "Well, your prince seems to have found you though, no?" he asks teasingly. The both of you blush. "Hey, what's your ideal guy, though?", he asked. He was kind of scared of your answer. "I like musicians", you answer. "Especially singers and guitarists." He feels instant relief. "Really? I play the guitar. And sing", he says happily.

  You continue talking, and actually get to know a lot about each other by the time you reach your dorm. "I realised I don't have your phone number yet", he says shyly, pulling his phone out and handing it to you. You enter your number in, then pass it back to him. You start to go in. "Thanks for today, Joshua. And um, we can figure this thing out together", you say. He hugs you from the back, the both of you blushing furiously. "Bye", he says awkwardly. "Bye, Joshua." You walk in, thankful that the girls are all out so you can have some time to yourself, and watch him walk away through the window. Joshua smiled to himself and sent a silent thank you to the heavens as he walked back to the boys' dorm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,guys! I'm really sorry it took me 29475358484646 years to finish this huhu. I recently started writing again after about a year, so I'm kinda rusty but I hope you guys like it!