Old Friend, Why Are You So Shy?

Someone Like You

 

He had dragged me to his ‘favorite place by campus’, a quiet little café with almost no customers since it wasn’t the right time for business yet.


“This is probably one of the only places I can go and have some time to myself,” He explained.


“That’s nice,” I nodded as I took in the place. It was dimly lit, with most of the natural light coming through the big windows toward the back that showed a beautiful garden.


“What do you want?” He asked politely.


“I’ll have whatever you’re having,” I replied distractedly, I was really taken by the garden. He just nodded and turned back to the cashier—luckily a guy, who wasn’t about to go all crazy like a fangirl would.


When he brought our drinks over, I was still staring at the garden that reminded me so much of the café I’d frequented in my childhood when visiting my halmonie. 


“Guess you like the garden?” He asked as he handed me an iced coffee.


“So much,” I breathed. “It reminds me of somewhere else I used to go.”


“Where?”


“This little café in Pohang, Arabica, we’d gone ever since I was little and knew the owner and his family pretty well.” I explained.


Suddenly a smile spread over Dong Jun’s lips.


“What?” I asked, suspicious.


“Seon Ah-yah, come here.” He pulled me back to the cash register.


“Hyung,” he called. The cashier from before reappeared. “Is this the girl?”


The cashier studied me closely, so I tried not to meet his eyes—I felt really shy, what were they talking about?


“Waa,” He breathed. “Dong Jun ah, I can’t believe it, you found her.” Dong Jun just smiled, looking back and forth between him and me.


“Seon Ah yah,” the cashier called me. I jerked my head to face him and bowed.


“How do you know my na—“ but I stopped. I knew him. He was the son of Arabica’s owner. He’d known me since I was three.

“Omona,” I whispered. “Its so nice to see you again,” and bowed again.

 

“Yah, Seon Ah,” He grinned. “No need to be so formal, we go way back.”


“What are you doing here?” I asked politely. “Shouldn’t you be at the main store?”


“My hyung is at the main store,” he began. “Remember the last time you were in Pohang, we’d discussed expanding to a more student-oriented store?” I nodded. He gestured to the air. So this was the store they’d talked about opening, it’s nice.


“Wow, so you have your own now?” I smiled. “Guess it’s good that I went to school here so I could see you again.” Jiwon just smiled back at me.


“We can catch up later, you two go sit down, I’ll have someone bring you a cake,” He shooed us away. I bowed again before following Dong Jun to a window seat.

 

“Aren’t you glad I brought you here?” He smiled smugly.


“Thank you so much,” I dipped my head.


“Aiish,” he made a face. “Let’s speak informally so we can get closer, okay?”


“Are you sure?” I asked, surprised that he’d asked so suddenly. “Can I do that? You’re ZE:A’s lead vocalist.”


“Please don’t start with that,” he shook his head. “That’s the only reason people around here want to be my friend, and so far, you haven’t brought it up so I thought you’d be different.”


“Sorry,” I apologized sincerely. “I didn't mean in sarcastically, i just don't want to be disrespectul."

“Please,” he insisted. “Just drop the honorifics, kay?”


“Yes, Oppah,” I replied shyly.


“There we go,” He smiled, seemingly satisfied.

 

~

 

The cake came and we started chatting, he wanted to play twenty questions to get to know each other better.


So far, I’d found out he loves soccer, his blood type is B, he’s originally from Busan and has one older brother.


“Where’d you go to elementary school?” I asked.


“Oh, I went to a school in Seoul because my aunt lives there, it was Goyang Elementary School? (CLARIFICATION, THIS IS MADE UP INFO, NONE IS TRUE)


“In Goyang?” I repeated, he nodded. “Wait, I went to there too…”


“What?” When?” We were both flustered.


“Ever since kindergarten, but I left in fourth grade to go to the States,” I explained.

“I was there since kindergarten too,” Dong Jun added.

“Hah, I sure don’t remember you.” I joked, we were so young, how could I?


“I don’t remember you either.” He mumbled, as if it was some big deal.


“Well of course you don’t remember me, you were a year older, it wasn’t important for you to know your hoobaes. And we were like, five.” I said sarcastically.


“I feel like I’d remember someone like you,” He cocked his head and squinted his eyes, as if that’d help him remember. “Either way,” He shrugged. “This just means we’re already closer than normal people since we’ve known each other for so long.”


“But we didn’t know each other then,” I disagreed.


“I’m sure I knew you,” He said seriously. I thought for a second that there was another meaning in his words, but his face reverted back to the smiling one, so I thought nothing of it.


“You know, we should eat lunch here everyday.” He said.


“Uh, won’t we get tired of the same place all the time?” I asked.


“How could you get bored of this place?” He looked around in awe.


“I guess you’re right,” I smiled to myself, knowing that was exactly how I’d felt at the original store.


“Promise?” He held out his pinky.


“I promise,” I agreed.


“Too bad tomorrow’s Saturday, I wanted to bond more,” He pouted. In my mind, I wanted to laugh at the cute face he was making, but I felt that I shouldn’t and kept myself semi-serious.


“Too bad, but I’ll see you Monday in class.” I offered.


“And at lunch,” He added. I just sighed and nodded.


“Hey, can I use your phone? Mine just died and I need to call my hyungs.” He asked suddenly.


“Sure,” I fished it out of my bag and handed it to him. He dialed a number and called it, then when the other end didn’t pick up, he fiddled with my phone a bit more and gave it back. I looked at him suspiciously, but he just gave me an innocent look…hmm…


“Well, I have to go, dance practice.” He made a face.


“Yeah, it’s so hard being an idol,” I observed.


“It really is,” he said defensively. “I practice at least three hours a day and sometimes all through the night, I barely have a social life and I don’t ever get to see my parents, you try doing that every day.”


“Dong Jun Ah,” I used the informality to make him happy. “I wasn’t being sarcastic, I was sympathizing with you…”


“Oh,” He froze. “I didn’t know, I thought you were just like everyone else who hates it when I even say one complaint, thinking that I don’t deserve it.”


“Of course you do,” I said sincerely. “You’re talented and shouldn’t care about everyone else.”


“Thanks,” he let out a large sigh. 

That’s when I realized how tired he looked. Before I could say anything, he gave me a huge smile and said, “Need a ride home?”

“What?” I was caught off guard.

“My manager is picking me up,” he explained. “And I don’t want you to have to walk back by yourself.”


“I’m fine,” I argued. “I do it everyday.”


“Not today,” and with that he dragged me out of the store calling, “Bye Hyung!” to Jiwon.


“Bye kids,” He called back. “Come back soon!”

 

~

 

“I’m really fine,” I insisted as I saw the silver minivan approach.


“I’m not taking no for an answer.” He said stubbornly.


“Fine,” I gave in and entered the van. He introduced me to his manager and he had me rattle off my address and then I was done.


So flustered after my weird day, I just wanted to go home and sleep.

 

“Ya, Seon Ah ya,” Dong Jun mumbled when we were close to my apartment. I looked over from where I was staring out the window. “You look tired.”

 

“Says the overworked idol slash college student.” I rolled my eyes. “You should take better care of yourself before you even start to think about worrying about me.”


“It’s always easier to take care of someone else,” he muttered as he looked away.


“I guess that’s true,” I thought about it. “Guess it’s good I’m here then.”


He gave me a puzzled look.


“Someone has to make sure you drink enough and eat enough and don’t die of exhaustion,” I joked. He cracked a smile and I felt somewhat elated at the thought that I’d made him feel better.


“Thanks, Seon Ah ya,” he continued to smile as we pulled up to my apartment. “Here you are,” he said as he opened the door for me.


I began walking up the sidewalk but stopped and turned back to him first.


“Oppah,” I called. He jerked his head towards me, I guess neither of us were used to it—I knew I was blushing. “Be careful, don’t overwork yourself.”


“Thanks for worrying about me, Seon Ah ya, but I’ll be fine. You can’t get rid of me that easily.” He grinned and shut the door.


I sighed as they drove away. What a weird day.


This is going to be an interesting friendship.