So It's Just Love

A Bloody Sunhat

 

Shirika hugged her knees close to her body, the windy was rattling outside of the wooden cabin of her boyfriend’s house.

 

“Shota. You should stop working, get some rest. It’s cold.” Shirika said lightly from the carpet by the fire place. She was bundled up in a warm blanket and in Shota’s great coat.

 

“I just want to finish this.” Shota didn’t even glance her way. He was eyeing his masterpiece of a wooden carved doll. Shirika sighed and looked around the place she’s been ever since she met him. The smell of wood could be found; the scent of fresh wood filled the air in the cabin of Shota’s workplace.

 

“Who ordered it this time? Making you work like that.” Shirika asked. To her surprise, he turned around and smiled warmly at her.

 

“It’s a secret ne.” He pressed a finger to his lip. She didn’t reply him, but stared into the red blazing fire, yet the fire showed softness and loved. Just like her relationship with him. As lovers. “Don’t you find it weird? That the recent wooden dolls you made were all girls? And that they never sell?” Shirika pointed to the shelf that was filled with girl dolls wearing sunhats and flowing dresses.

 

“Hmm?” He replied her. “Ah, done!” Shota held out a newly carved wooden doll, not so much difference from the dolls on the shelf. Except this girl was smiling widely, holding onto her sunhat and her hair was flowing along with her dress. There was a ring on her middle finger and her other crumpled up inside her hand was a piece of paper. The other wooden dolls were all furrowing their eyebrows or crying, or having sad looks in their eyes. Nevertheless, the dolls all had two things in common, the same hairstyle, the same sunhat.

 

“Let’s go?” Shirika stood up from the spot. Shota pushed her to sit back down.

 

“It’s so cold.” He smiled at her, rubbing his hands and putting them in front of the fire.

 

“Told you.” Shirika said.

 

“Hai, hai.” Shota ginned playful, clapping his now warm hands on the cold face of Shirika’s and pulling them close as he stole a kiss from her icy cold lips. When the warm lips touched hers, she felt fire in her body, she didn’t feel cold anymore.

 

“So can we go now?” Shirika broke the kiss and pulled him close to her body and inside the blanket.

 

“No.” Shota hugged her waist and snuggled in her embrace. His shoulder was below Shirika’s chin. She rested her head on his shoulder and made sure that Shota was inside the blanket then he she spoke.

 

“I love you. Winter’s never been warm until I met you.” She said. Her jaw moved up and down on Shota’s shoulder, tickling him and making him laugh out loud.

 

“That’s ticklish!” He exclaimed, “Way to ruin an atmosphere Shota.” Shirika laughed.

 

“Mou, I’m sorry.” Shota titled his head upwards to see Shirika looking down at him with big eyes. They burst out laughing and Shirika hugged him tighter, loving the moment they are sharing.

 

“A night here wouldn’t hurt. Let’s sleep like this till the morning. Then we can go horseback riding in the mists.” Shirika said, pressing her cheek to Shota’s.

 

“Okay.” Shota agreed as he closed his eyes, leaning on Shirika for comfort while she leaned on the foot of a couch. Mystery and loss of trust were ought to disrupt them from their naïve and innocent love…Bringing endless adventures and obstacles toward them without any mercy.

 

The next morning, Shirika woke up in a surrounding that’s really familiar. She was in her bedroom, in her soft and warm luxurious bed.

 

“Why am I here?” Shirika shot up from her bed, looking to her side to see a boy that tends the horse placing new flowers inside her flower vase.

 

“Yesterday, your brother Daiki had a day off and came back to the village. He didn’t know you had a boyfriend. After we told him where you were, he rushed to Shota-san’s work cabin and kidnapped you back home. Then when the maids explained everything properly, Daiki felt embarrassed and shut himself in his room. But don’t worry Shirika, you guys are still going horseback riding. Shota-san will come soon. You better get ready.” The horse boy smiled.

 

“Thanks Ryosuke.” Shirika burst into a wide smile and shooed him away by pushing lightly on his back. In the household of Kiyomizu, everyone’s family, everyone’s close. The maids and the horse boys are no exception, too. Daiki and Shirika’s father made sure that their kids are not stuck up and arrogant just because they have the fame, money and power. Shirika, being a bubbly little maiden, she was friends with everyone working in the house.

 

“CHOTTO.” Ryosuke clung onto the door of Shirika’s room.

 

“What’s the matter horse boy?” Shirika slumped against the wall, arms folding in front of her chest. She raised an eyebrow.

 

“Shota-san wants to give you this.” Ryosuke pulled out a sunhat. It was fit for a girl, there was a big green tea colored ribbon on the soft yellow hat, “He wants you to wear it when you guys go horseback riding.”

 

“Thank you.” Shirika examined the sunhat. She loved the feeling of it, it was made out of a different fabric then the original sunhat braided out of dry grass.

By the time Shota came, the sun was already out; Ryosuke helped Shirika onto her horse, Beat. Shota rode on his own horse, watching Shirika get onto her horse. He smiled when he noticed that she was wearing the sunhat. As they set off, Shota spoke.

 

“Today, we’re going to a different place na?” Shota who was a few paces ahead of Shirika turned around to look at her with a small grin.

 

“Hmm…Okay.” She replied him, tugging on the sunhat. She didn’t like wearing hats, but since it was Shota’s wish then she felt that she has to do something for him. She was wearing her white sleeveless dress with a long white boot. She wore soft green stockings to match the color of the ribbon.

 

Shota led her and Beat into the forest, at first they went the same way as their usual routine. But as they came upon their original spot where they rested by the rapid stream, instead of stopping, Shota steered his black horse and turned right. Without questioning him, Shirika followed behind, secretly wondering where he’s going to take him.

 

Throughout the trip, no one talked. They were enjoying the quiet surroundings, letting only the sound of horse’s breathing and the sound of stepping on leaves or branches accompany them. The sun was slowly showing its whole self, lighting up the forest. They could also hear the sound of the stream. They were going to the upstream probably, Shirika guessed.

 

Being an impatient girl, she broke the silence, “Shota. Where are we going?”

 

“It’s a secret.” He whispered without turning back to look at her. Feeling bummed, she rode by his side and stared at her with piercing eyes. What is he thinking? Shirika thought in her mind. She continued to ride beside him, staring at his face. From confusion and suspicion, it turned to love and admiration. Why is my boyfriend so handsome? Shirika laid her head on Beat’s mane.

 

“We’re here.” Shota stopped at a cliff. There were no trees around them. There wasn’t any stream but Shirika was in awe as the whole village and the mountains surrounding it could all be seen. She hoped off Beat, feeding him some water and carrots that she had put inside her bag. Shota hopped off his black horse and did the same. What made Shirika curious was that the bag was larger than the other bags he brought before.

 

“The view’s really pretty. Why the sudden change of coming here Shota? You could have told me.” Shirika tied Beat to a tree in the shades. Shota stood by his horse’s side, looking down at the village with faraway eyes.

 

“Look at me Shirika.” Shota cupped her face inside his hands. She obeyed.

 

He hugged her tightly; he held tightly onto her waist, his right cheek was pressed onto her left cheek. A strong wind swept Shirika’s sunhat out of her hair. She broke the tight hug and ran to catch it. Shota didn’t move at all. He looked at his horse and as if the horse understood what he’s thinking, the horse turned around and galloped away the way they came. Shota dropped the bag that he brought onto the floor, knowing that Shirika would be curious of what was inside.

 

Shirika was busy catching the sunhat when Shota pulled out a gun from another bag and directed it at Shirika. He pulled down the trigger slowly…

 

A flock of birds flew away from the forest and a girl’s scream could be heard. Shirika didn’t care about anything else; she kept screaming and screaming...She slumped down on the ground.

 

Dawn came upon the village as the house of Kiyomizu was quiet and a hard atmosphere hung around them.

 

“I come back for a rest and then this happened?” Daiki cursed as he paced around his dear sister’s bedroom, looking at her pale face. Although the fire was blazing in the stove, Daiki rubbed his hands for warmth and sat down on a chair by Shirika’s bed.

 

He felt his head go numb from the pressure and lay back on the chair. The sound of rushing footsteps could be heard. Then came inside their father.

 

“Someone explain. All I got was Shirika was shot. Who did it?” Their father stood by the bed, keeping down his voice so he would not wake his precious daughter.

 

“They said that Shirika was with her boyfriend at that time. We don’t know many details, so we have to wait until she’s awake then ask her.” Daiki replied and looked up at his father was sad eyes.

 

“Okay then. Inform me when she’s awake. And someone, throw more coal into the stove would you?” Their father sighed and walked out of the room. Daiki knew exactly where father’s going. Whenever he’s sad or upset or frustrated, their father would always visit their dead mother’s room. One time, Daiki cheated on a local test and their father was upset and Daiki saw father go inside their mother’s room. Their father would sit on the bed and talk as if mother was there with him. After a day, their father would come out with no trace of emotion and would be very calm and patient with whatever Daiki had to say. And that would be the end of everything. It was always like that.

 

“Ryosuke, would you? Everyone’s so stiff; I want to lighten up the atmosphere.” Daiki pointed to the horse boy. The close friends of Shirika are staying in the room looking gloomy. Ryosuke gestured for everyone to leave. He was about to leave, but remembered something. He threw new coals into the stove.

 

After walking out of the room, Ryosuke pulled his friend Yuto along and dashed to the stables.

 

“What’s the hurry?” Yuto asked.

 

“I want to check something at the place where everything happened. Beat must know the road.” Ryosuke let Shirika’s brown horse Beat out. He whispered something to his ear and hopped on the horse. Yuto hopped onto another horse and followed after Ryosuke.

 

Ryosuke was right, Beat did know the road. The sun was almost set, so they galloped faster up to the cliff. Ryosuke looked hopped off Beat and started searching around for something.

 

“Hey, Ryosuke. What’s this bag?” Yuto pointed to a bag on the floor.

 

“Don’t touch it Yuto. We need everything to be right where it is so the police can investigate.

 

“Who said we’re calling the police for help?” Yuto questioned.

 

“Didn’t master call the police?” Ryosuke looked up, shocked.

 

“No. He was about to, but decided not to.” Yuto replied.

 

“WHY!?” Ryosuke asked.

 

“It seems like master knows something.” Yuto said as he was about to pick up the bag.

 

“Wait, don’t!” Ryosuke shouted again.

 

“What?” Yuto asked.

 

“Do you have a marker? Draw around the bag and then take it up. Shirika might want to see where the thing was last left.” Ryosuke said. Yuto nodded and took out a red marker and drew around the surrounding of the bag. Lastly, he brought the bag to his shoulder and hung it on his shoulder.

 

“What are you looking for, Ryosuke?” Yuto questioned.

 

“A sunhat.” Ryosuke replied.

 

“You mean the sunhat that Shirika wore to go out this morning?” Said Yuto. Ryosuke nodded his head in the dim sunlight. “I’ll help.” Yuto looked around in the trees, while Ryosuke searched the ground.

 

“I found it.” Ryosuke muttered, as he pulled the sunhat out from a hole in a tree. Yuto raced over and looked at it along with Ryosuke. Yuto hated blood, he was about to throw up as he hopped onto the horse and begged Ryosuke to get going. Ryosuke used the marker and drew around the hole and took the bloody sunhat with him. And then they rode back to the Kiyomizu manor.

 

By the time they got back to the house, the sun was perfectly set and crickets started doing their job. After adding new hay and fresh water to the horse’s food, Ryosuke hurried to Shirika’s room. Hoping to find Shirika awake by now. Yuto went to ‘settle’ himself. He couldn’t hold it anymore. The smell of blood made him have Goosebumps and his tummy was churning weirdly, making him wanting to puke. Yuto handed Ryosuke the heavy bag and rushed off, passing by a maid for looked at him weirdly.

 

“What’s wrong with him?” The maid asked.

 

“I’ll tell you later, Mai.” Ryosuke rushed through the long and dark hallway to Shirika’s room near the bottom of the hallway. Mai followed him; she was going to Shirika’s room anyway.

 

“She’s not awake yet.” Mai said, running behind Ryosuke. He stopped and looked at her.

 

“It doesn’t matter.” Ryosuke continued to run.

 

“You shouldn’t just barge into the room like that…” Mai found a stunned Ryosuke at the door of Shirika’s room. Ryosuke walked inside the room and placed the sunhat on the dressing table.

 

“I saw Shota…” Ryosuke mumbled.

 

“Sit, Ryosuke, sit.” Mai pulled him to sit down and asked him, “What did you see?”

 

“Shota was by the window. He was looking down at her with sad eyes. When he saw me, he ran away.” Ryosuke gulped.

 

“Are you sure it wasn’t just a ghost?” Mai asked.

 

“I’m really sure.” Ryosuke replied.

 

“Let’s keep this for a secret and see if Shota comes back again. For now, call Daiki in here and tell him about that bloody sunhat. I’m here to change her bandage, would you leave?” Mai poked his cheeks and sent him out to call Daiki. As the door closed, Mai took the covers off of Shirika and lifted her nightgown and found the white bandage rolled around her chest to her waist. She unrolled the white cloth and was shocked to see a not so deep hole by her ribs. “Good thing it wasn’t in the heart…But I bet Shirika’s able to do anything with broken ribs…” Mai carefully rolled a new bandage around Shirika and continued to roll a white cloth over the bandage. She had stopped bleeding and the doctor already said that her condition was okay. Mai felt sweat going down her face after she pulled the covers above Shirika.

 

Just in time when Daiki came in, “did I bother you guys?” He asked. “No, I just finished. The wound doesn’t seem deep.” Mai replied politely. She took the old bandage and bowed before walking out of the room.

 

“Now Ryosuke, you may speak.” Daiki looked at Ryosuke while he sat down by Shirika on her bed. Ryosuke stood by the dressing table and held up the bloody sunhat and showed it to Daiki.

 

“There isn’t much to say. But that his hat was the sunhat that Shota gave her this morning. I think it has something to do with these wooden dolls with the same sunhat. These wooden dolls look exactly like Shirika. Yuto and I found them near the place where everything happened. Beat remembered the road and took us there. But we’re not sure if it was Shota who shot her. We have to ask Shirika when she wakes up. All the clues are with her.” Ryosuke explained.

 

“So overall, what you said meant nothing at all? Because Shirika isn’t awake?” Daiki asked with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Yes…But I remember seeing the wooden dolls on the shelf…Shirika must know something…” Ryosuke looked intently at Shirika.

 

“Let’s talk when she’s awake.” Daiki signaled for him to leave the room. The restless Daiki sighed loudly. He looked at his sister. A tear trickled down her eye. Daiki caught the tear on his finger like morning dew. He wiped the dew drop of tear on her forehead and around her face. He held her hand before placing it inside the warm covers. Daiki stood up; he went to the window and pulled the curtains shut. He caught a glimpse of a boy running away. He shrugged and closed the window just in case the cold wind would get inside. After locking the window and closing the curtains, Daiki walked out of the room.

 

Just a little early in the morning, Shirika woke up with a start. She screamed for Shota’s. Which made everyone in the house wake up. Daiki and Ryosuke were the first to rush to her room.

 

“You’re awake.” Daiki hugged his little sister. He made sure to be gently because of her healing ribs.

 

“Where’s Shota? What happened?” Shirika asked worriedly.

 

“We should be asking you that.” Mai came inside the room with a soft smile.

 

“But…” Shirika sat there dumb folded.

 

“That’s okay. We’ll ask you questions, just answer them truly okay? Then we can guess what the scene when the shot happened and who did it.” Ryosuke replied with his eyes glowing.

 

“You really want to become a detective huh?” Mai hit him lightly on the head.

 

After eating, Shirika sat up right in bed, facing Ryosuke who was at the end of the bed. Yuto, Mai and Daiki surrounded her with wide eyes. Making her gulp down lightly. She was afraid of answering something wrong and her confident self disappeared after what happened.

 

“So, first. Tell us about your trip all the way to the cliff. Anyone following you guys? Anything unusual around the scenery of the cliff?” Daiki asked.

 

“Ryosuke and Yuto saw Shota pick me up and they also bid us goodbye. While we were going through town, no one has woken up yet, so it was really quiet, everything was fine; no one was following behind us. There were no other horse sounds so I’m pretty sure no one who rode a horse was following us or going the same way. There were only us. I don’t recall anything weird while we were riding up to the cliff.” Shirika paused down, looking out the window as if she saw someone.

 

“And?” Yuto asked.

 

“While we were on the cliff, the moment I hoped off the horse, Shota embraced me inside his arms…After that, I broke the hug as a huge wind came and swept the sunhat with a green ribbon that Shota gave me away. I went to search for it back the way we came. I was still in Shota’s view; I remember catching the flying sunhat before screaming…Something was through my ribs. But before that…I remember hearing a horse galloping. The sound was quiet loud, so the horse must have been close to where I was, probably going down the way we came. That’s all I remember in my point of view.” Said Shirika.

 

“Wait, was Shota on the horse? Or was he with you? What’s important is that, where was Shota? What was he doing?” Ryosuke stated the facts, “What was he doing when you turned your back on him? Anything suspicious?”

 

“I refuse to think that Shota was the one who fired the bullet.” Shirika closed her eyes and looked away once again.

 

“We’re not blaming him. If we want to find out the truth, having suspects is a part of the route. We need him to extend the search.” Daiki said softly, he took hold of her chin and turned her face to look at them once again.

 

“…” She didn’t speak, nor open her eyes. If she opened them, they could clearly see that she was fretting and scared. What if it was Shota all along? What if he was actually the one who fired the gun? What if he was using her?

 

“Do you want to know the truth? Or let it escape? Do you want to clear Shota’s name? Because from what you told us, we can inference that it was Shota who did it. The police would go after him.” Ryosuke told her.

 

“Ryosuke…That’s a bit harsh.” Mai put an arm around Ryosuke’s shoulders with pursed lips.

 

“I remember, from the side of my eye…That the horse when back on its own. I would have heard the sounds of reins if Shota hopped onto the horse. And…When I was almost about to reach for my sunhat, something hard dropped onto the group and when I was about to turn my head…The bullet fired. Thinking about it now…” Shirika paused, trying to swallow some saliva even though there isn’t any…she wiped her forehead even though there were no sweat…she continued, “the shot gun came from behind me. BUT, it can’t be Shota. It isn’t him.” Shirika said stubbornly, her eyes rolled to the top, glaring at Ryosuke somehow.

 

“Then there’s no one else but Shota who had shot you. You guys were near a cliff; nobody could have shot from somewhere further. There was simply no land. This is too easy.” Ryosuke ignored her eyes; he didn’t like the fact that he was being seen as the bad guy when he was only trying to solve the situation. 

 

“You’re taking things too seriously.” Shirika looked out the window. Mai turned the same way, and there he was. Shota was by the window, looking at them. Mai didn’t know if Shirika saw what she saw, but there was no change of Shirika’s expression. Not a single change. Mai walked over to the window, the wind was hitting against the window. Before she closed the curtains on the sealed window, Mai hid behind the curtains and opened a peak of the window.

 

“Are you…” Mai tilted her head as she whispered at the blurry image of Shota. It has been snowing these past few days; Mai couldn’t believe that someone wearing this little can come out in the cold night.

 

“Un.” He nodded a finger on his pale lips.

 

“Why are you here? Why did you do that to Shirika? Why?” Mai asked.

 

“…” Then he vanished when a loud wind came. Mai sighed and shut the window, locking it and pulling the curtains close.

 

“What’s out there?” Yuto asked.

 

“Nothing. I thought I saw someone, but it was just a fox.” Mai shrugged and came back inside, sitting on the floor beside Yuto.

 

“Where’s Daiki?” Mai asked.

 

“He went to tell the police. They will be searching for Shota.” Ryosuke replied. The three looked at Shirika, who was still looking toward the window. Her eyes showed longing.

 

“Is there something you haven’t told us?” Yuto asked. Shirika didn’t respond. Mai was about to leave when Ryosuke stopped her.

 

“Daiki told us to always be by her side. It’s an order.” Ryosuke said. Mai understood so she sat down once again. They all stared at Shirika for a while and watched her slide back into bed and dozed off.

 

Slowly it was morning and the three spent their night in her room, the sun was out and it shone through the red curtains. Mai tied the curtains to the side, happy that the sun was finally out. Something good was bound to happen.

 

“Do you think she’s hiding something?” Yuto looked around at the three. Mai kept quiet about meeting Shota last night. As much as she wanted to tell Ryosuke, there are things she wants to see for herself.

 

“I think there is. She might tell us when she has the mood. And when Ryosuke stops accusing Shota about everything.” Mai replied.

 

“Hey! I want to solve this so…” Ryosuke was cut off.

 

“For the fame? Money?” Shirika said.

 

“…” Ryosuke sighed.

 

“Can I see the bag you’ve brought back? And my…sunhat?” She asked. Yuto got up and fetched the items from her desk. He handed the dirty bag and the bloody sunhat to Shirika.

 

“There.”

 

“Thank you.” She replied. Everyone watched her open the bag, slowly pulling the string, letting the bag open. Shirika peered inside the bag. Shock was seen on her face. “Shota worked on these for the past few months and he would never tell me the reason for it. I don’t understand…And…” She paused.

 

“And what?” Ryosuke looked at her. He shook her shoulders. Shirika’s eyes bolted up, she rummaged inside the bag deeper, not caring that the sharp wooden parts scraped her hand, making small cuts with blood oozing out little by little.

 

“I found it! I remember…Shota writing a letter, he placed it inside one particular wooden doll’s sunhat. It was the last doll he made before everything happened.” Shirika pulled out a wooden doll, the girl had a wide smile on her face. The sunhat was twice the size of the other girls, and to everyone’s surprise, there really was a letter inside the sunhat! Shirika took it out with her fingers carefully.

 

She flipped onto to wood scent paper and a tear escaped her eye just by seeing Shota’s handwriting. His handwriting was never pretty; he didn’t have the money to learn how to write properly, he just mesmerized the words and try copying it onto the paper without knowing the of the Japanese characters.

 

“Read it please.” Mai urged her. Shirika shook her head; hence, Ryosuke took the letter away and read it.

 

“This is you and your faith, I’m sorry. It was me. I hope that, you can see through the message that I’m trying to give you. The dolls are clues, to find me.” Ryosuke read. 

 

“That’s romantic!” Yuto called out, he went over to give Shirika a brotherly hug and squeezed her inside his arms. He wept beside her.

 

“So it was Shota who did it.” Mai said confirmed, “But why? He loved you.” 

 

“Never mind that, we should start checking out the dolls for clues.” Ryosuke said, he was already helping himself with the things Shota left Shirika. She couldn’t stand it and took the bag away from him.

 

“This is mine.” She said stubbornly. Ryosuke groaned by sat back down, he played with the carpet until Shirika took pity of him and handed him the bag. His face lit up like a three year old getting candy after being scolded. With that, Shirika burst out laughing, catching the laughing disease, Yuto who was beside her laughed along with Mai.

 

This lightens up the mood, Daiki came in clueless of what was happening, but he said he had great news.

 

“What is it Daiki-niichan?” Shirika looked at him.

 

“Shota has come to the police! He begged to see you.” Daiki said with a playful smile.

 

“I’m not sure if I’m ready…And, the mystery hasn’t even been solved!” Shirika looked down. She caught Ryosuke’s eye. He was clearly disappointed, but he couldn’t do anything about it. Mai was suspicious once again.

 

“You’re going to meet him. On court the day after tomorrow.” Daiki said. He caressed her cheek, “and you’ve just got a younger brother!” He exclaimed happily.

 

“What?” Shirika burst with joy.

 

“Shinbei, come in.” Daiki called and a boy came inside, “he’s twelve years old and really likes sword fighting and horseback riding.” He explained while urging the Shinbei to sit on Shirika’s bed.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Shirika smiled. She couldn’t help but notice that Shinbei had the same features as Shota, straight nose, sharp chin and cute eyes. They even had the same hairstyle. Shinbei’s bangs were cut unevenly.

 

“Father took him in this morning. I think father knew he reminds you of him.” Daiki said softly. Shinbei sat on Shirika’s bed. Shirika pulled Shinbei inside her lap, although he was twelve years old already, Shirika couldn’t believe her luck. A younger brother!

 

“Forget your past, let’s make beautiful memories na?” Shirika rested her chin on his small shoulder. He was stiff and his eyes were blank, but slowly, he touched his new sister’s hand and held them in his smaller ones. Yuto who also had a younger brother, loved seeing the scene between the two. He knew that, a younger sibling could take Shirika’s mind off of him. They could work together to make happier memories.

 

“Now that Shinbei’s here, you three may go. Sorry for disturbing you guys.” Daiki rubbed his head indicating that he was being stubborn at that time. After the three left, the siblings were left with each other. Daiki decided to have a day off and read. He found himself a comfy spot by the fireplace and started reading with the sunlight accompanies him.  

 

Shinbei fell asleep leaning on Shirika’s body. Daiki told her that Shinbei traveled for miles before he got here.

 

“He must have been really tired.” Shirika said. She liked looking at his angelic face, he seemed so peaceful. She was mesmerized with her new little brother; she didn’t notice her father looking at her and Shinbei from the door of her room. Daiki noticed father immediately, he waved to father and kept reading. Their dad took a seat beside Daiki, picking up a random newspaper and started reading. Their dad mother’s photo was on the book shelf. Everyone was reunited.

 

That’s how the Kiyomizu family spent their whole day quietly, enjoying the sunny day indoors.

 

The next day came by quickly, in the morning, a storm has hit the village and there was no sun out. The peaceful and quiet day like yesterday was gone. It wasn’t a surprise, it was winter after all. The weather changes with its mood.

 

Mai found Shinbei asleep in Shirika’s arm on the bed. Yuto came in and sighed, he misses his brother so much just seeing the two of them together. Ryosuke also came in, he patted Yuto on the back, understanding that Yuto’s in the village just so he could earn money and help his family.

 

“Time to get up.” Mai whispered in their ears. Today was the day for court. Shirika woke up slowly, yawning and rubbing her eyes and she smiled to see Shinbei’s warm body close to hers. They talked about Shinbei’s past last night when he suddenly woke up. It was as if they were siblings for a long time, not just for one day. Shinbei’s blank eyes were replaced with happiness. His heart opened up, but only to Shirika.

 

Throughout the day, when they were eating breakfast in the hall, he stuck close to her side, when Shirika was going to dress and clean herself for court, he stayed in her room. He lay on her bed, waiting for her to finish dressing herself.

 

“Are you done?” He asked playfully like a little kid.

 

“Yes.” She came to sit beside him on the bed. She was wearing a long sleeved dress, it was thin and Shinbei worried if she would be cold. She shook her head, saying that she would wear a warm coat, and Shinbei would be close to her to keep her warm. She also said that if he was that worried, the court also has a heater. Shinbei blushed when he heard her say that he would keep her warm.

 

“You seem happy. Really, really, happy.” Daiki pointed at Shirika, then to Shinbei and then back to Shirika with a cute smirk on his lips. Their father came in just in time, telling them that the carriage was ready.

 

“Ladies first.” Their father led Shirika inside the carriage, following by Shinbei who was only a few inches behind her. When Daiki was about to get on, father muttered, “Shinbei seems to really like Shirika.” Daiki laughed and nodded.

 

Inside the carriage, Shinbei who’s never been into one was pointing out the window, smiling and talking to Shirika who chatted along with him. Daiki and father were in a deep conversation regarding their move to a new place, a new home. A better place with an actual school and better medical treatments.

 

When they got to court, Shirika shivered, but Shinbei cuddled close to her, a smile escaped her lips just when she saw him—Shota.

 

They weren’t supposed to talk due to the rules of the court. Shirika looked away fast and tried to take her mind off him by chatting with Shinbei.

 

When the court started, Shirika didn’t pay attention to anything, she was simply blank. She stared ahead. Her lawyer and brother answered everything for her. Then the judge declared that Shota would be going to jail. Shota had tried many times to try and catch her attention, but she didn’t look at him. She herself didn’t know if it was betrayal that made her like this, or was she just simply bored?

 

They didn’t get a chance to speak, and the court ended quickly and smoothly. The lawyer was pleased with himself and gave Shinbei a candy because he was in a good mood. After that, Shirika remember Shota trying to barge through the doors to where Daiki, Shinbei, father and Shirika rested somewhere in the back court.

 

“Don’t forget about the dolls! Find me!” Shota gripped her hand tightly until the police pulled him away without mercy. He looked like he hadn’t slept and he looked horrible. Untidy clothes, messy hair and worn out face. She felt bad for ignoring him.

 

After getting back home, Shinbei was taken away by father so he could give him some schooling so he would be able to go to school in their new home. Despite Shinbei’s protest, Shirika told him to go, and that she was only in her room. Their father sighed in relief and gave his daughter a rare smile.

 

Alone in the room, Shirika picked up the bag full of wooden dolls. She noticed closely, that at the bottom of the doll figures, there were words of verbs and a small number beside it. Having nothing to do, she put the dolls in order of the numbers. After that, she actually tried doing that the verbs said.

 

Days past, Shirika would always spend time doing the verbs whenever Shinbei was being tutored and no one was in her room. Mai has been quiet, being suspicious of everything; she decided to tell Ryosuke about everything. And ever since then, they’ve been discussing something really secretive.

 

One time, Yuto caught them whispering to each other.

 

“We will just have to wait and see. If her condition is worse, we have to warn the others. Or at least give try to talk to her.” Mai said.

 

“Yes, time will explain everything…” Ryosuke replied, and then he noticed Yuto and pretended to do other things.

 

A month later, on one sunny afternoon, Shinbei was being tutored and Daiki was gone into the city for some appointments, no one was in the house as it was a small holiday for the maids and staff. So Shirika continued the verb game. She has listed the numbers of dolls and placed them on the wall. There were only five dolls left.

 

Doll number 16, riding.

 

The first thing Shirika thought was horseback riding, the doll was even holding reins. She grabbed the rest of the four dolls, thinking that it must have something to do with doll 16 and rushed to the horse pen. She found her long friend, Beat in the pen. She quickly fed and groomed him before hopping onto the horse. She and Beat trotted around the yard until Shirika pulled out Doll 17.

 

Doll number 17, hiking.

 

Without a second thought, she steered Beat to the mountain that she and Shota always went to. She saw the doll’s right leg lifted up, as if taking huge steps up a steep slope.

 

Mai who was in the city saw Shirika riding away. She immediately called Ryosuke and they followed her secretly. They took the short way so they arrived at the destination they predicted Shirika and Beat would come to. And they were right.

 

“What’s up with her suddenly?” Mai questioned.

 

“She’s been secretly doing what the dolls say.” Ryosuke said, “I saw her once. I have a bad feeling about this. Ever since reading the letter Shota left and you telling me about everything.”

 

They continue to follow her up the mountain. Until Shirika stopped and pulled out another doll.

 

Doll number 18, changing.

 

Shirika didn’t quite understand what it meant, but she understood when she came to two roads. She took the one that led her to where everything happened. She didn’t think that much. The doll was facing the left so she went that way.

 

“Something’s definitely wrong!” Ryosuke cried as he ran to get close with Mai following behind worriedly. They were having a hard time running up the hill, Ryosuke kept chanting that everything might be too late.

 

Doll number 19, standing and wearing.

 

Once Shirika and Beat got to the cliff, she found it weird that there were two words on this doll. The doll was frowning, her eyes were closed and she was holding onto the sunhat. Shirika decided to do the same. It surprised her that she brought her bloody sunhat with her. She put it on and stood by the cliff like what the doll said.

 

Lastly, she read Doll 20’s verb,

 

Doll number 20, fall.

 

She hesitated and wondered what that means, the doll was smiling, but there was no sign of falling. Just then a large wind came and swept her sunhat away, she wanted to grab a hold of it, but her foot slipped and she fell.

 

Ryosuke and Mai came too late; she was already falling down and down.

 

Shirika didn’t scream out loud, she felt that the stress and everything was taken off her shoulders, she understood why the girl was smiling. The girl was free and it was the same feeling Shirika’s feeling. By a second, she saw Shota. He was glowing, she looked down at herself. She was glowing, too. She ran to hug him.

 

The sunhat floated to Ryosuke. He grabbed it and gripped it tightly.

 

“I knew it. Suicide.” Ryosuke sighed.

 

“No, it was more like someone controlled her.” Mai replied, “She misses Shota. And a voice must have told her to find him just like the letter said.”

 

“She must have heard that Shota killed himself in jail.” Ryosuke sighed once again.

 

“It’s so sad.” Mai walked back to Beat. He was walking in circles. As if thinking, what happened? Where’s master?

 

“Let’s just go.” A tear escaped Ryosuke’s eyes.

 

“Farewell Shirika.” Mai and Ryosuke both chanted. Just at that time, they saw a bright glow in the sky. They knew she was happy. They knew she would never regret what she did.

 

‘Please take care of Shinbei…Tell him I love him.’ A voice echoed faintly in both Mai and Ryosuke’s ears. They rode Beat back to the Kiyomizu manor.

 

“I don’t understand Shota’s motive in the first place.” Ryosuke groaned, “Too many mysteries unsolved.”

 

“Some things, should lay unspoken.” Mai caressed his cheek.