part I;

warm coldness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

         The world in which lives Jinki is a world unknown to humans, it’s another dimension that’s always been kept secret to the human race. It’s a world made of nature and purity but still stained by a hint of mischief and devilment. It’s those two last aspects of Jinki’s world that make it impossible for the human beings to ever find out about this community. But without the existence of Jinki and the ones who he lives with in this secluded and hidden realm, the world humans know would have never existed in the first place; everything that rules the planet as the mortals see it, is controlled by Jinki and his kind, the fairies – not the little nice and sweet winged creatures, no, something utterly different, something so human and yet so magical, other-worldly and cruel. While royalty has almost totally been abolished long ago in the human world it has never been more real and stronger in the fairy world. Each being has to respond to their Kings, Queens and Princes – this hidden and misogynist kingdom cemented by ancestral, precious words all gathered in the Great book. Some important laws are stated in there such as the one that says no Princess can exist but only Princes can rule. If Queen there has to be then she should be chosen by the King himself but she shouldn’t have any other power than giving birth to the male heir. Cruel and wicked world, reflect of the fairies themselves.

“Jinki, there’s no need to spend more time talking about this matter; I decided you’d get engaged with the Prince of Spring and you can’t do anything about that.”

Jinki stares into his father’s eyes, furious but also quite impressed by the assertiveness in the King of Summer’s look; he has always wanted to be that powerful and strong, to be able to tear someone’s hopes apart with just a glance, to be bathed into that warm, bright and yet dominant aura. Jinki didn’t want to be like his father, that we wouldn’t even think of – he even hated the idea of having anything in common with that man other than blood – but he wishes he could control their subjects as well as the King does; the latter is so respected he never suffers of any vexation, no one daring to go against such an imposing and almighty sovereign.
Jinki’s eyes slide to the woman sat at the King’s left side. No word has left since his father summoned Jinki into the throne room and it isn’t very likely any will be spoken before the young man leaves it. It’s pathetic and yet she can’t do anything about it, she’s only a woman after all; she doesn’t have any other right than to feel proud to be allowed to stand by the King’s sides.

“Father, please let me handle this matter by myself. I might have to reign on the summer people sooner than expected and I need to prove our subjects I’m a worthy prince. I’m telling you marrying the Prince of Spring wouldn’t solve anything!”

Jinki tries to keep his voice strong and steady, but his heart is shivering, his muscles are tensed and he feels so cold – ironic for the Prince of Summer, right? Opposing his father has always been something he tried to avoid, because it was nerve-wracking and most of the time pointless seeing as the patriarch would always with no exception have the last word. However, right now he has a reason to put up a fight; he wouldn’t ever marry Prince Minho. It isn’t some kind of late teen rebellion, no, it’s just his heart would never give way to someone who isn’t the boy Jinki met years and years ago. He can still remember those cold yet warm, dark, deep eyes and tho-

“Jinki! How dare you stand up to me?! I gave you time to deal with this issue and obviously you didn’t make any progress. I can’t afford to waste more time with you anymore, so you’re just going to be an obedient son and marry Prince Minho. End of discussion, you may leave now.”

There’s so much the young man would like to say, so many words but they stay stuck in his throat and he can’t let out anything else than a pathetic silence. Biting his bottom lip, he nods and bows, clenching his jaw a little too much and cutting his lip, a little drop of blood splashing on the floor as he ducks his head. He stares at the red stain standing out against the immaculate white of the marble, wanting to fight for his feelings, wanting to fight for him but he’s too weak, he knows it, so he just turns around without taking a single look at his parents and steps out of the throne room, bitter and disappointed.

As soon as he’s got one foot in the corridor a female fairy throws herself at him, a disgustingly submissive and coquettish expression painted on her face:
“Prince, I’m bored~ let’s play together” she purrs, her high voice unpleasantly assailing his ears and he grabs her arm that snuck around his waist to push it away. He’d lie if he said he never took advantage of the female fairies and their wishes to please him, the Prince, the best they could as they were taught as soon as they knew how to breathe; but he stopped acting like a brat a long time ago, he realized how wrong this society is and he is definitely not willing to let himself being played with, being controlled anymore. The fairy winces at the Prince’s unusual harshness but doesn’t let it be shown in her tone as she whispers “do you want us to be discreet my Prince? If so I’ll meet you in five minutes in your room, don’t be shy with me handsome~” and her hand wander near Jinki’s hips, shamelessly sliding a finger between the material of his pants and the leather of his belt.

Jinki frowns, wanting to shake her to set her head straight; it is frustrating how women in this world would just accept their fate, wouldn’t rise up against those foolish rules set long ago, in a world that no longer exists and totally changed. They aren’t some dolls only breathing to ually please male fairies, they are so much more and yet they can’t seem to understand that and it’s upsetting. That’s why Jinki – usually so warm and soft, so in control – can’t help but snap at her:
“Stop acting like a , stop being so bold and outrageous, you’re pathetic!”

He regrets it the moment the words slides between his lips but he can’t stop them, he’s way too mad for that. Jinki isn’t someone who gets angry easily but when it happens everyone knows they shouldn’t stand closer than ten meters to him; the fairy prince is like a time bomb. He bottles everything up deep inside but when it’s too much, he explodes.

The woman, taken aback, steps back, suddenly feeling like putting some space between the man she’s staring at with wide eyes and herself. That scary Prince isn’t the one she’s used to see wandering into the palace, smiling gently and brightly at everyone and everything.
Jinki sighs and walks away, letting the shocked fairy behind him; he really doesn’t have the time nor the desire to deal with this kind of situation right now. He just feels the urge to lock himself into his room and burry his face into a pillow to scream out loud how much he hates his father, how much he wants to run away with him and live happily after together, as he promised long ago.
But once his back finally hit the mattress of his huge bed, his heart deflates and all the angst it carried so far just evaporates into the air. There’s nothing left but the memories and the pain. The young prince stares at the ceiling, letting the thoughts carry him away, into another world, in another time – a time when everything was still so simple, bright and beautiful.

 

 

“Jinki! Where are you?!” 
He can hear the panicked voice from where he is hiding, squatted in a bush, eyes following the two year younger boy looking frantically around. The sight is so endearing, Jinki thinks as he ducks his head a little bit so his caramel-brownish hair doesn’t show between the branches and reveals his hideout. But he underestimated the other’s skills and regrets moving as soon as the younger boy’s eyes land on the shrub; the soft rustling of the leaves got easily caught by his sharp hearing. Before he realizes it, the younger is standing in front of him, both his hands grabbing branches to uncover Jinki’s face, and the smile enlightening is face is so beautiful Jinki thinks if he stares at it for too long it’d blind him for sure. 
“You’re here!” the boy says, his voice oozing relief and joy.
Jinki beams – a smile he never gives to anyone but the person he has his eyes stuck on right now – and holds out his hand so the younger can grab it and help him stand up. Once he’s standing on his two feet thanks to the other’s help, he doesn’t let go of the younger’s hand and they walk together towards the tree they’re used to climb into and from where they watch th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter