The Seven Basic Plots

Callback: Your Narrative and Characterization Guide

 

callback

 

Home

Getting Started

About Callback

What callback is for

The Look Book

style and fashion needs

Masterlist

where to find everything

The Seven Basic Plots

 

Date posted: 20-November-2015
Source: Link

The Seven Basic Plots

 

OVERCOMING THE MONSTER:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - Basically, the hero learns about evil (in the form of a villain or monster) and the story is about the hero's journey and the villain's subsequent defeat. The hero is all about the bright side of the humanity while the opposite is the case for the villain. Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: Anticipation Stage and Call (where the villain makes his existence known to the hero), Dream Stage (hero prepares for battle. danger seems far away), Frustration Stage (the villain finally appears and seems unbeatable), Nightmare Stage (hero heads for 'battle' with villain), and The Thrilling Escape from Death and Death of the Monster (good reigns over evil).

EXAMPLES - Beowulf (literature), Terminator (film), Jaws (film)

RAGS TO RICHES:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - This kind of plot is often and closely associated with Cinderella. Stories using this plot involve starting in an undesired state (poverty, etc) and ultimately reaching happily ever after. There is usually a 'false ending' where the hero seems to lose it all because of some mistake he committed but eventually regains it during the . Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: Initial Wretchedness at Home and The Call (hero is in an unhappy, unfavorable state and gets the chance to improve his life), Out Into The World, Initial Success (hero seems like he's succeeding in improving his life), The Central Crisis (where everything goes wrong), Independence and The Final Ordeal (hero matures and faces one last challenge), and Final Union, Completion, and Fulfillment (happily ever after).

EXAMPLES - Jane Eyre (literature), Harry Potter (literature and film), Wreck-It Ralph (film)

THE QUEST:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - Hero finds about some treasure or the like and goes out on a journey to acquire or discover it. The hero usually has a person or more tagging along during the journey. Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: The Call (hero has the urge or reason to go out on an adventure), The Journey (the adventure leads hero and friends to villains such as monsters and temptations), Arrival and Frustration (hero and friends reach destination but discover there is still actually a long way to go), The Final Ordeals (the final test, in other words), and The Goal (Hero and friends have won)

EXAMPLES - Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (film), Persona 2, 3 and 4 (video games)

VOYAGE AND RETURN:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - The hero sets off an a journey, achieves a goal (it's also possible that the hero doesn't) and comes back home a changed character. Usually involves a foreign land or place that needs to be explored and is instrumental in the character development of the hero. Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: Anticipation Stage and 'Fall' into Other World (something or someone makes the hero leave home and hero discovers new territory), Initial Fascination or Dream Stage (hero explores new territory), Frustration Stage (the tone of the story starts to darken and adventure doesn't seem as easy anymore), Nightmare Stage (it seems like the hero will fail), and Thrilling Escape and Return (hero beats the odds using maturity or new learnings and heads home)

EXAMPLES - Finding Nemo (film), Alice in Wonderland (literature and film), Digimon (franchise)

COMEDY:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - Misunderstandings between characters are common and villains are often not defeated but are redeemed (meaning they come to realize what they are wrong and end up joining the side of the hero). Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: Under the Shadow (relationship conflicts created by uncertainty and frustration), Tightening the Knot (things get worse), and Resolution (truth or other things come to light, perceptions change and relationships improve).

EXAMPLES - works by Jane Austen (literature), A Midsummer Night's Dream (literature and theatre)

 

TRAGEDY:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - The opposite of the Comedy, villains fall deeper into evil and darkness instead of being defeated. Hero can become a 'tragic hero'. Stories using this plot usually follow this formula: Anticipation Stage (hero feels incomplete and is restless), Dream Stage (things seem to go well for the hero), Frustration Stage (things get difficult for the hero), Nightmare Stage (it seems like the end for the hero), and Destruction or Death Wish Stage (as the name suggests, the hero -- now the tragic hero -- destructs or dies)

EXAMPLES - Macbeth (literature and theatre), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (theatre and film), Death Note (anime and manga)

 

REBIRTH:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION - Similar to the Tragedy but is more positive as when it seems like the villain or tragic hero is about to lose himself to evil, he is saved and redeemed by someone else. It involves the hero falling under the control of darkness, the threat seeming to disappear only to reappear very strongly until the end looks very near, and a miraculous redemption.

EXAMPLES - A Christmas Carol (literature and film), The Secret Garden (literature), Sleeping Beauty (film)

Everything on this thread unless otherwise stated was not created by the callback admin.
This theme is by Nefelibata Themes.