Final

Glad for Physics

  You smiled widely as you hopped off the bus onto the park concrete, Mark following closely behind you. You had Mark agree to teach you how to skateboard a while back, and this was one of the only days he was free. You quickly ran over to one of the empty benches and patiently waited for Mark to sit next to you. As soon as he was seated, you opened the backpack you brought and pulled out the knee and elbow pads. Mark instantly took them from you and strapped them on.
  He pulled you up onto your feet and helped you put the helmet on. You watched as he set his skateboard onto the white concrete. Mark looked up at you.

“So, ready to learn?” He smiled at you.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” You replied, a grin on your lips.

  You shakily stepped onto the board. You felt the warmth of Mark’s hands as he held onto yours. You could see the smile on his face, obviously happy to teach you.

“So, what now?” You asked, looking to Mark for instructions.

“First position your feet like this.” He motioned for you to copy his stance, “Then you use your right foot to push off the ground.”

  You pushed off like Mark showed you. Slowly, but steadily, you got the hang of it and your speed was increasing. You laughed as you sped around the small park. It felt good as the wind caressed your checks and swam through your hair. You turned, with slight trouble, onto the path that led to Mark. You looked up from the ground to Mark.

“(Y/N)! Watch out! The crack!” You heard him shout.

  Faster than your mind could process, the skateboard jerked to a stop and your body lurched forward and off the board. You braced yourself for the impact of the floor, but instead of concrete, your body landed into arms. You felt Mark help you to your feet.

“Stupid physics.” You mumbled.

  You looked at Mark as he laughed at your disheveled state.

“It’s not funny. I could’ve face planted into the floor!” You said as you picked up the board.

“But you didn’t.” Mark said as he put an arm around your shoulders, “You wanna get ice cream?”

  You looked up at him with a devious smile.

“As long as I can get anything I want.”

  Mark nodded and pulled you closer.

“I love you, (Y/N).” You heard Mark say softly, almost shyly, too.

“I love you, too, Mark.” You said, a grin plastered on your face.