Final

Even If

             Dongwoo walked around the courtyard as he always did every evening and, in comparison to earlier that day, the courtyard was silent and empty. He usually walked to clear his head and think about his busy schedule; after all he was a prince. This evening was rather chilly, in contrast to the summer afternoon, the frosty wind left Dongwoo with a shiver. “Ah…” He said as he wrapped his arms around himself in search of warmth “Maybe I should head back inside.” Turning 180 degrees, he started on the path back up to the castle, his feet leading the way to his room. As he walked, his attention was pulled to the left where the water fountain stands and it was there where he saw someone he had never seen before.  He stayed in the hall of the courtyard behind the wall besides the opening, as he peeked around he looked at the figure that stood beside the water fountain.

            You looked absolutely stunning as the moonlight light up the courtyard. Dongwoo had never seen you before, because if he had he would have never forgotten, and it wasn’t until he looked at your clothing that he understood why he hadn’t. You stood in the standard servant wear that all servants wore who served the Jang family. He should have continued walking up to the castle, but he couldn’t get his feet to move. Those of the Royal family and their servants did not associate in any way other than doing the ordering or being ordered. Dongwoo knew that he was taught to not associate with those from a lower class, but he couldn’t fight the feeling down that he should go talk to you. In fact, he oddly wanted to know everything there is to know about you, and the best place to start was you name. 

          Dongwoo approached you hesitantly as he debated whether or not to speak to you. You were facing the water fountain so you neither heard nor saw Dongwoo coming until you heard someone clear their throat from behind you. You were suddenly aware that you were no longer alone and quickly turned around to face the person that now stood behind you. However, you partially expected someone you work with to be standing there, calling you back in to finish off the rest of the evening duties, so you were surprised when you saw a handsome face of someone whom you did not recognize.  Since he approached you, you had expected that he had something to say, but as the seconds passed by he stood still and silent with a silly smile on his face. Deciding that you should probably say something before the atmosphere gets even more awkward, you said with a timid smile, “Did you need something?” Coming to his senses, he averted his attention while bringing his arm up to his neck, in an embarrassed manner, while saying “Oh…It’s just that I have never seen you on the grounds before so…. I wanted to ask for your name.”  Unable to deny your own curiosity as to whom he was, you said, “My name is_______. May I ask your name?” “My name is Dongwoo.” He had said without really thinking of his status, he wanted to be known as just Dongwoo, not Prince Dongwoo, so he quickly added “I am a Jester.” “You are dressed in high quality clothing for being just a jester, and, now that I think about it, you have the same name as the Prince.” Flustered that he might get caught, he began to say something only to be cut off by you, saying “Though, why would someone of the Royal family waste their time with someone like me.” “What is that supposed to mean?” Dongwoo asked, his eyebrows raised, looking into your eyes, as if he was searching for the answer himself. You sighed, looking back at the fountain “I am just a servant. The only people I talk to are the other servants. They probably have something better to do.” “Well,” Dongwoo began, “I am not a servant, so you can add a jester to your list.” You glanced at him, wondering what he was doing with you in the first place. So you decided to ask, “What are you doing here anyways? Don’t you have important people to ‘entertain’?” “Not really,” Dongwoo started “I bring happiness to all of those in need, and the way I see it, you are just as important as anybody else, whether you are or are not a part of the royal family.” It was after he said those words that a smile spread across your face. After seeing your smile, Dongwoo decided he would do anything to make sure that a smile would always stay on your face, because he thought a smile suited your face best.

           Dongwoo seemed to pop up whenever you were alone, and no matter your mood, he always made you feel good.  You never saw him when you were working, but he had ways of making his presence known. You would always find a flower or a note from Dongwoo outside of the servants’ quarters in the same exact place. As time passed, you began to look forward to the flowers, the notes, and your late night meetings at the fountain. It was inevitable that your feelings for this Jester only grew with the time you spent together.

            Dongwoo was beginning to feel the same way as you were, but the guilt of hiding a huge secret was eating him up inside. Every time he thought he could finally tell you the truth, he changed his mind because of his fear of losing you. However, his fear came true on one, seemingly, normal morning. His parents had called him to tell him to prepare himself because they were expecting very important guests. So he prepared, as he normally would have, and in no time, it was time to greet the guests. In walked a man, a women, and a girl, who was about his age, all dressed in Royal clothing, as he was. Dongwoo’s father began to speak, “Dongwoo, this is the Royal Kim family. “ Dongwoo glanced at the people that stood before him and bowed. “This young lady here is Princess Kim Minji, Your fiancé.”

            Dongwoo felt like everything in the world was wrong.  He immediately felt like he was out of place and his thoughts instantly went to you, ‘What about _____?’ Though, he could not voice his internal thoughts because they did not know about his association with, let alone his feelings for, you.  “But, father, I don’t even know her.” “That is not the main concern, Dongwoo. This is what is best for the Jang family, and I expect that you won’t let us down.” “What about what is in my best interest. I feel that I would be in the best condition to take my spot as the heir to the throne with someone that I actually care for by my side.” “You never expressed interest in the women that came before, so your mother and I took it upon ourselves and chose for you.” “You never asked. You just assumed that I don’t have any interest, but I do. There is someone that I care for.” By now the Kim family was escorted elsewhere, whilst the argument between father and son ensued. “If there is someone that you care for, why didn’t you tell us before? What family is she from?” “That is exactly why I didn’t tell you. Family name is all you care about. You don’t seem to care about who they are on the inside or who would make me happy.”  “Then who is the person that you fancy.” “You wouldn’t know.” “Tell me.” “Her name is _____. She is a servant of our house.” “A….servant...” Dongwoo’s father said, “This is below you.” “I have feelings I have never experienced before, and all the feelings I have felt feel new when I am with _____.”  Dongwoo was on the verge of tears, feeling helpless, he continued “If you cannot accept that the only person I want to be with is _______. Then I think you might need to find a new heir.” He was confused as his love for his family and his love for you fought for his heart. “Dongwoo.” His father looked at his with soft eyes, “I didn’t know that this is how you felt. If you feel this strongly about ______, then I will trust your judgement as the next heir, but don’t let me down.” Dongwoo did not believe that his father was going to let him have what he wanted, but all he could think of was you. He just had to find you and come clean about being a prince and his feelings towards you. Now that it was already evening, he knew that you would be at the fountain. As he saw your silhouette seated beside the fountain, he smiled but was also nervous, worried about your reaction.

            You were looking at the stars in the sky, when everything suddenly turned black.  You brought your hands up to your eyes, only to feel another pair of hands, slightly warmer than your, covering your eyes. You knew exactly who it was and smiled as you said, “Dongwoo?” “How did you know it was me?” You laughed as you turned to look at him, cheeks slightly flushed, “You do this every time.” He sat next to you and you took notice that he avoided eye contact, and grew unusually quiet. “What’s wrong, Dongwoo?” “_____. There is something I have not been truthful about,” He took one deep breath before looking into your eyes, “My full name is Jang Dongwoo and I am the heir to the Jang throne.”  You were shocked by this sudden revolution but the thing that came to your mind was that you had fallen in love with a prince. A servant and a Prince being together was the least likely of things in the universe to happen. Dongwoo took your silence as a chance to continue, “I knew we were not supposed to associate with one another, but I was immediately drawn to your presence.  I wanted someone to know me as who I truly am, a Jester. It felt so great to be able to let loose and act like myself for once. As the time we spent together grew, so did my feelings for you. ______, I love you and I want you to be by my side.” You were torn between being happy that your unrequited love wasn’t so unrequited after all, and your role as a servant. You were supposed to serve the royal family, not fall in love with the next heir. “We shouldn’t be together. We are not supposed to even be acquainted. You would lose so much if you picked me over someone of the same status.” Dongwoo kneeled in front of you while grabbing your hands, and looked into your eyes, the stars reflecting in his brown orbs. “______, Even if I lose 10 to gain 1, I would never regret it. I would give everything I have to you, as if every day was my last.”