chapter one

Tis the Season
 
chapter one
deck the halls
 
"I don't understand why a waiter has to help with these stupid decorations," Yoongi grumbled as he attempted to hang a wreath on the pillar in front of him. The hotel lobby was bumbling with both guests and employees as the staff attempted to match the building with the holiday season.
 
Wonwoo chuckled at his grumpy friend as he finished sticking a red ribbon to the wall. "Everyone's helping with the decorations, you scrooge. The maids, the bellhops, the waiters." He emphasized the last word as he leaned over and took the wreath from his friend, hanging it up with ease. "Besides, Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year," he added with a playful grin, dodging a candy cane.
 
"You're lucky my aim is terrible." Yoongi picked up the now broken candy and the two stepped back to admire their hard work. Holidays were always the busiest at the Lotte Hotel, especially Christmas. Being one of the top hotels in Korea, it was inevitable that the interior and decorations were also top-notch.
 
Across the lobby, Kang Seulgi was greeting the guests and offering cookies and hot chocolate to everyone who passed by. She walked over to a certain counter and peered over with a mischievious grin. "What's up, Boram." Her playful tone was met with an icy glare. Yoo Boram was the hotel's event coordinator and was the definition of prim and proper. Boring and prude could easily be added to the list of adjectives. "Do you want some hot chocolate?"
 
With a look of disgust, Boram pushed the mug away before cleaning her hands with a tissue. "Don't leave that there, it'll stain the counter. And for the hundredth time, it's Ms. Yoo. Not Boram." She huffed as she stood up and glared at the female employee. "Now if you don't mind, I have a guest to attend to." She quickly turned away from Seulgi and greeted a man who had been standing there. "I'm very pleased to meet you, sir, and I assure you, the Lotte Hotel is perfect for your special occasion."
 
"Are you planning something here?" Seulgi piped up, earning an irritated eye roll from Boram. "Well you've definitely come to the right place. Boram is very capable. Of course it wasn't her fault that the chandelier almost killed the ambassador last month-"
 
"Kang Seulgi!" Boram snapped at the girl with murderous eyes. "Shouldn't you be off serving those goodies to the staff and guests?"
 
Clearing , Seulgi gave a quick grin before running off. When she was finally out of harm's way, she stifled a laugh as she munched on a gingerbread cookie. Wreaking havoc was just another part of her daily schedule and the old cranky ones were always a favorite target. "Hey, losers. Have an energy boost," she called out as she extended the tray to Wonwoo and Yoongi. 
 
The three of them had become close friends ever since they started working. Wonwoo had been an employee three years prior to Yoongi and Seulgi's arrival but because of his friendly personality, the trio had hit it off from the beginning.
 
"How can people expect me to be so jolly this time of year if I'm forced to work my off just so some people can look at leaves and lights," Yoongi complained as he grabbed a cookie. "I don't even get paid extra for this." Wonwoo and Seulgi just rolled their eyes and let him continue ranting. It was usually the fastest way to get him to shut up.
 
As Seulgi sipped her hot chocolate, the man who had been talking to Boram caught her eye. She unconciously watched him as he crossed the lobby, suddenly crashing into Park Jimin, a bellhop. The collision caused Jimin to drop all of the luggage he had been carrying as he fell to the floor. Expecting an apology, she continued to watch but raised her eyebrows as the man turned back and gave an irritated look.
 
"Watch where you're going," he snapped before storming off. Jimin gave him a surprised look as he bowed in apology to the male's retreating back.
 
Twitching her nose, Seulgi scoffed at the man's rude behavior when Wonwoo's voice brought her focus back to her friends. "Hey, if you keep zoning out, you're gonna spill your drink all over the floor," he said with a brow slightly raised in concern.
 
"Oh, sorry. What were you guys saying?"
 
Yoongi tsked at his friend's lack of conversation. "We're all supposed to help set up for an event in the dining room. You're coming right? We haven't been near the piano in weeks!"
 
The female chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll be there."
 
 
Seulgi got out of the elevator and onto the second floor with heavy steps. The hotel owner had called for her to come up to his office for a "talk" and that usually meant a lecture of some sort. Boram, that stupid wrinkly old prune must've ratted me out again, she thought bitterly as she turned the corner. She approached the room, clearing nervously.
 
"Mr. Lee?"
 
The hotel owner looked up from his desk and motioned for her to come closer. "Ms. Kang. This isn't the first time you've been here, is it? I think we've been seeing a bit too much of each other."
 
Seulgi grinned sheepishly. Her and Yoongi had been sent up multiple times for causing trouble throughout the years, Boram usually being the snitch behind it.
 
"I'm sorry Mr. Lee but I didn't mean any harm! It was just some casual talk and maybe she took my comment a bit too seriously. It's not like I was intentionally trying to ruin her reputation in front of a customer. Although, if you ask me, that customer doesn't deserve to get treatment from a hotel this amazing," she added, crinkling her nose at the memory of the rude man. She opened to continue but the owner cut her off.
 
"Not today Ms. Kang. I just needed to give you a warning and you are free to go. I'm expecting an important guest any second n-" He stopped his words as he glanced up to see a beautiful young lady at the entrance of the room. "Halla."
 
Seulgi turned her head to see a girl smiling softly at the man. Looking down at the hotel owner's desk, she saw a picture of the same girl and realized this was his daughter.
 
"Hi daddy," she said with a soft grin before running into his embrace. Seulgi smiled at the heartwarming moment in front of her. It wasn't often you get to see your boss be as gentle as this. After the hug, Halla finally took notice of Seulgi, tugging at her father's sleeve. "Who might this be?"
 
"I'm Seulgi," the employee said, introducing herself as she extended the hand to the other female. "I help out with housekeeping and other jobs where they need me." She grinned, already approving of the daughter's sweet and bright personality.
 
"And she was also leaving," Mr. Lee said, giving Seulgi a slight eye raise, motioning for her to get back to work. Catching the look, the female gave a sigh and began to take her leave when a man entered the room. She looked up and froze as she saw the same rude man walk right past her and straight towards her boss.
 
"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir." He shook the older man's hand as he bowed his head in respect.
 
"This is Kim Jaewon, my fiance." Halla said as she gave a small smile. "He's a graduate of Seoul University and is a businessman like you."
 
Jaewon gave a sheepish grin as he placed a hand on Halla's waist, pulling her closer to him. "I apologize that my parent's can't be here for the wedding. Every Christmas Eve, they go on vacation to Europe."
 
Seulgi's eyes widened in surprise at his comment and couldn't refrain from jumping into the conversation. "You're getting married on Christmas Eve?! That's so romantic!"
 
Mr. Lee blinked in surprise, unaware that the girl hadn't left. "Yes, yes, and you're supposed to be helping with the decorations in the dining hall, aren't you?" He put a hand on Jaewon's back and grinned. "Well, I'm sure we have lots of things to discuss before the wedding. Why don't we get some coffee?" He led the two out of the room.
 
Seulgi watched them leave, waving to Halla before she disappeared from sight. A Christmas Eve wedding? That had definitely had to be the cutest thing she had ever heard of. Of course I'd rather die alone than marry that Jaewon jerk, she thought to herself as she made her way to the dining hall. What does an angel like Halla see in him anyways?