Bloom

Bloom

When they are young and still innocent, children are taught about the birds and the bees to explain adult relationships. Bees carry and deposit pollen into flowers. Birds lay eggs. Simple enough, right? However, humans are curious beings, especially children. Tenacious and observant enough to question every possible hole in the story. What if the bird is incapable of laying an egg? What if the bee is just being an annoying prick who lands on whatever flower in sight? Is the flower doomed to just sit there while bees land on its petals? Even into adulthood, some of those questions remain unanswered.

That's because the story is pure bull

Who knows what prompted this odd train of thought as Hyesung sat in the recording booth of the studio ready to record. Adjusting his headphones he smirked and shook his head. He wouldn't let such silly thoughts disrupt his focus. He cleared his throat and stepped up to the hanging microphone.

The music began.

Skin as smooth and fair as a fragile petal. Long, soft strands of dark brown hair swept smoothly across his forehead. Gentle yet calculating eyes, small rounded cheeks, thin lips. Effeminate and far more attractive than any person with is ever expected to be. Those handsome features compile the ideal elements that people define as a pretty boy, more infamously known as a “flower boy”.

An angelic voice rung out powerfully, resonating through the speakers as the sound recorded in machines on the opposite side of the transparent glass. Watching with endearment was Minwoo, swaying a full head of short black hair to the music. The shortest Shinhwa member just finished promoting M-Ten and couldn't wait to start producing the next group album. That week the producer made himself limber to the schedules of the others to do some recording on songs he'd written. After the chorus and bridge of the song, he leaned back in his wheeled chair and smiled giving a double thumbs up then cut the track.

“Daebak!!” he shouted happily.

Hyesung could see the pleased expression on his face. He had a glint of excitement in his eyes. His cheeks spread with a wide grin. He was clearly waiting to praise him, but is praise all it was? This prompted another strange thought.

If I'm the flower, does that make him the bee?

He stared up into the light in the far right corner of the booth. It was focused on him, warm and intense like rays of sunlight pouring into a greenhouse on a hot day in summer. He'd become a singer who bloomed beneath such lights, brilliant and burning. Even those few minutes of recording felt too hot to bare. He was overheating, perhaps from doing a show the night before.

Being a flower, showered by sunlight, was exhausting.

And there was Minwoo, his voice a buzz of praise fading into a murmur of concern as he noticed Hyesung's condition. Waiting, buzzing, on the other side of the glass.

Hyesung let out an exasperated sigh and put down the headphones. Sluggishly he stepped out of the booth, joining Minwoo who had run to get him a glass of water. The cool drink sent chills up his arms and the ice cubes clanked when he tipped it and took a sip. Minwoo returned to his seat.

“If you were still tired, then you should have rested at home.” he advised working at the machine to assign the recorded piece to the track.

“I'm fine, thanks. I would rather get this done while I have the momentum and rest later” he responded after taking another gulp of water. He smiled weakly and tipped the glass toward him. “This helps.”

Minwoo was tempted to insist again but knew his band-mate well. He was gonna do it regardless to get it over with. Hyesung felt his gaze studying him, wanting to persist, knowing he wouldn't.

The bumble bee had a tendency for showing affectionate concern. Resting a hand on his shoulder to ask if he's okay. Hovering about until he admitted when things bothered him, just to be shewed away. Clinging to his back just to feel close.

But Hyesung had thorns. There were times Minwoo tried best to avoid them. Buzzing around, needlessly insisting that he could help him, comfort him, maybe more. The room was silent except for the playback of the song Minwoo was busy manipulating. Hyesung's part was the last to be edited.

“So we're good?” Hyesung asked. “Sounds fine to me.”

“Yea.” Minwoo replied passively. “You can go now but...”

Minwoo turned his chair to face him and scooted up to him. Hyesung held the glass of water in his hands tightly, tensing up as Minwoo reached up. The heat, the buzzing, the confinement: it was all getting to him. His cheeks flushed red when his hand touched them. With a gentle smile Minwoo said:

“Hyesung-ssi, take care of yourself.”

The bees land on the flower, attracted by the brilliant color and fragrance. Collect the pollen and move on. The flower only sways in the wind, waiting to be used by the next bee.

“I knew it, you feel warm. Maybe you should wait until you cool off.”

Minwoo couldn't be a bee. He was still there. Always there, beaming brightly, helping him flourish.

He was the sun.

The rouge of Hyesung's face deepened. He closed his eyes while gently removing Minwoo's hand from his face. Letting it go he coughed and gulped down the rest of the cold water in his cup.

“I think I'll be fine.” he smiled.

Minwoo drew his hand back. He watched the tall flower rise from his seat leaving the glass of ice on a surface nearby.

“I'll see you around Minbong.” smirked Hyesung.

“I'll be around.” he beamed with a cheeky grin.

Hyesung left the studio. The sound of the music faded as he grew distant from the room. Once outside he exhaled as the night breeze cooled his skin. Yet he could feel an overwhelming warmth lingering. Minwoo's light was radiant. Even now as the pale moon hung over him, casting shadows around him; he was bathed in that warmth.

Now it was burning, searing his petals, kindling a flame deep down in his heart.