Prologue

I'm from Direfall

The street was empty, except for the shining snow covering its road. Frail sparkles were falling down from the sky, trying to give that lost place a bit of hope.

         My boots kept making deep footprints in the white snow as I was walking alone on the dead street. I would lie to say I was alone. My trustworthy shadow was there as well, following me as always, without complaining that it might not like the places I visit or the people I meet.

         But my shadow was feeling quite unsure that day. It wasn’t able to recognize the road and  I couldn’t judge it for that, it has been too long since we last visited this place.

 But if I could talk with my shadow, I would tell it everything. I would bring back all the memories we had together in this city that now, is nothing more than an old grave where all those lost souls are still alive and fight every day to comeback, to see the sunlight again and to take their revenge to those who buried them alive in a deep darkness, after an infernal life.

While thinking about a possible conversation between me and my only friend, I had to stop because the clouds were covering the sun again.

“Now I’m the only one.” I murmured to myself seeing how the shadow leaves me behind and disappears once again in that day.

I kept walking until I reached the building I was looking for.

I entered and took a look at the first floor. The door of Apartment 7 was half opened and my heart stopped for a moment.

“They are waiting for me” I said to myself “They knew I will come today and they left the door opened”.

         I walked inside and  saw my family again, after a long time. The room was covered with the smell of my favourite food that mom used to prepare. She was probably in the kitchen. Dad was sitting on the green sofa, reading the newspaper with his little glasses on. “He looks so young” I wondered. I wanted to ask him about the news but I knew he would get angry if I bother him while reading. The door from my room was opened and I could see me and my cousin running and fighting for the sweets mom bought for us.

         In the next moment, I heard that powerful sound again, the screams, the windows being crashed and the wind coming inside telling us that the hell surrounded the whole place.

        

         The apartment was empty now. Everything was destroyed and the dust of the long time passed was now occupying the space. But the smell was the same. The smell of the war coming and taking everything a human could ever love.

         The war was still in my heart.