Chapter 6: Upon Realization

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’re disinvited from my home.” 

“Good morning to you too.” Mino responds, not the least bothered by Haneul’s sudden words. He turned back and focused on his task of locking his apartment door once more.

Haneul pushed her own door open. “Can we test it out?” She didn’t want to trust it until she witnessed it herself. 

Seeing that Haneul won’t believe him even if he were to tell her for a second time, Mino did just that. He took a single step forward, firmly planting his foot inside, passed the doorway before sending her a look. “Satisfied?”

Speechless, Haneul can only watch as Mino reached in to close her door for her. There was no appearance of smoke like yesterday when Bom tried to enter. 

“You’re going to miss your morning bus if you continue standing here.” He says last before turning on his heel. “Unless you would like a ride.” There was something they needed to discuss also.

“…No, thank you.” She’ll pick the bus over his offer any day.

***

“I have a few things we need to talk about.” Mino slid into the chair across from Haneul at the table in the wide-open cafeteria. He has managed to find her again during her short break before her next class began. 

Haneul sat there silent, waiting for the young man to continue.

“What happened yesterday is not going to happen for a second time.” He gently warned.

She thought about his words and finally realized what he was hinting at. “When I interrupted –“

“Yes, when you interrupted my late night snack.”

“How could you refer to her as that?” Haneul asked, incredulously.

“If you asked her, she would say the same thing about me.” Mino responded but returned to the main point of the conversation. “Haneul, I’m serious. Don’t go messing –“

“I can’t just turn a blind eye.” 

Mino froze and stared at her. “…What?”

“I think this is fate. Since I know about…you, I am meant to do something about it.” Her mom said to make the most of it and this is what Haneul decided she needed to do. She couldn’t just sit on the side as Mino continued to make others into possible victims.

“There is no such thing as fate – there is ‘chance’, but no fate.” Mino denied. “And it is not your job to do anything. So, be a good girl and mind your own business.” If this continues, he would have to find some other place besides his own home, causing more inconvenience for himself. So no, Haneul is not doing this.

“I don’t want to be an accomplice.” Haneul stated back matter-of-factly.

If she so insists – “Haneul, I can make you listen.” 

His mere words were enough to remind Haneul of the fear she tried to keep tucked away. “…No interfering.” She repeats as his unfinished threat settled in and it prompted a pressed smile from Mino in response.

“Good girl.” He pushes his chair back and gets to his feet.

From where Haneul sat at the table, she watched Mino walked away from her as she begins wondering where to go from here now that the young man has made it clear about not remaining still if she continues her meddling. 

***

After classes ended for the day, Mino returned home and remained seated on his couch, spending hours deciding what he should do. The only reason why he chose Bom was because he hadn’t been getting back into the habit of hunting. 

The act no longer spurred fascination or excitement as it used to. But, Mino had come to the conclusion that it was bound to happen after hundreds of years doing the same thing.

Staring at the clock, Mino knew where the others were at this time. 

Forcing himself to make a decision, he gets up on his feet and grabs his jacket on his way out. It was the end of the week so it is only accurate that the nightlife was a little busier. Driving down the street, Mino kept his eyes out for his destination. 

After pulling into a parking spot, Mino made his way past the long line of club-goers and appeared before the bouncer. Flashing his red eyes for a quick moment, the man realized his identity and moved aside, allowing Mino to walk on through. Entering the nightclub, Mino didn’t go unnoticed.

“You decided to come out after all.” Seunghoon flung his arm around Mino’s shoulder before trying to hear his own words over the loud bass in the background. 

“Where are the rest?”

“By the bar.” Seunghoon responds before leading him over.

Seungyoon perked up at the sight of Mino – it’s been a while since the young man joined them. “Nice to see you.”

Mino nods back in acknowledgement. 

“It seems Mino will have no trouble again tonight.” Jinwoo comments while nodding across the dance floor. Mino already managed to grab some attention on the way in.

“Who wears slacks and a button down to this kind of place.” Taehyun muttered.

“Yet, it doesn’t change anything.” Mino retorts, hinting at how easy it is for him to grab a meal. He walks off and naturally appears before the attentive woman.

“Maybe he’s returning to himself again.” Jinwoo whispers over to Seungyoon.

“I can only hope.” 

***

This is why you shouldn’t trust others so easily. 

Mino has said it over and over again but unlike him, others didn’t feel the same way. He may sound careless but there were things that made sense if they would only listen.

Mino was currently getting tugged out by the woman from earlier through the dance floor and out the back of the club into the alleyway. Mino darted his eyes through the night to see if they were alone while the woman grabs both his hands and making them wrap her body. She placed her back up against the side of the building before connecting their lips.

Mino responded for a moment before moving his lips across her jawline and down her neck. The unsuspecting woman allowed him to have his way and the scent of her blood draws out his fangs while his eyes flashed a vivid red. 

“Would you like to come home with me?” The woman asks through her soft breaths, unknowing of the situation she was caught in.

“Not today.” Mino responds before puncturing through the delicate skin on her neck. 

She lets out a heavy gasp at the sudd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter