Unexpected

Once Bitten, Twice Shy, or not

“Yah, Yoon Ha Eun!” Eunbyeol's piercing voice rang through Eunseol's room. Both of them were lying on their stomach on the cozy white sheets of Eunseol's bed. A video call had came from Ha Eun while Eunbyeol was surfing on Tumblr. Eunseol sighed in pity the moment her sister sat up, popped her knuckles and clicked the accept button.

That girl does not know what's in for her.

“Why didn't you tell me you guys were returning from Japan?” Eunbyeol accused, feeling upset that her best friend and sister kept their arrival a secret from her. Ha Eun's gaze flickered to Eunseol who was twiddling her fingers nervously on her bed, and replied just like what they've rehearsed. “It was a last minute decision and we needed to obtain approval first before we can move back to Korea. Anyways, it was a good surprise right, Eunseol?”

“Yeah.” Eunseol smiled gratefully at her best friend, relieved that her sister fell to their lies. Technically it wasn't exactly a lie as Eunseol needed to gain her doctor's approval and referral letter to a capable practitioner in Korea before they can pack up and leave. It was ambiguous whether she would be able to return to Korea based on her condition then.

Eunbyeol continued whining, “Still, I could have asked someone to fetch you guys up from the airport.” Ha Eun giggled at her cries before a thought cross her mind, “Jeonghan oppa told me that the wall between the female and male campus has been removed and they are merging the two schools next year.”

“Yeah, apparently the girls in our school are going crazy because of the supposed hot guys that they have at Shinhwa Boys' High. But hey, look at my bro and look at yours.” Eunbyeol explained, “If they are considered hot, I don't want to see the rest of the boys' visual.”

Eunseol had been listening and she shivered at the thought of sharing classrooms with obnoxious boys. “Oh my...” She burst into laughter when she saw a long haired pretty boy peering out from behind the chair Ha Eun was sitting on.

“Is that Jeonghan oppa? Hi!” Eunseol gave a little wave before collapsing on the bed once again, surprised at his change in appearance. “Choi Eunseol, I haven't seen you in such a long time and this is the kind of greeting you give me? Better be careful because the next time I see you, I'll get you for it” He jokingly threatened.

Eunseol stuck her tongue out at him when Eunbyeol announced, “It's past 12 already, you both have had an early morning, let's say goodnight here okay?” Wow, they had been talking for over an hour.

“We'll meet again tomorrow. And Yoon Ha Eun, please, please, please, check your phone.” After that, Eunbyeol ended the video call and sets the laptop on the bedside table. Eunseol thought she was going to leave but Eunbyeol flops herself on her bed.

“Nights Seollie-ah” With her greetings, she snuggled deeper into Eunseol's quilt and promptly fell into a deep sleep. Eunseol looked amused at the sleeping figure on her bed but still, she went under the covers and closed her eyes, slipping into a steady slumber.

Her body clock seems to have adjusted itself because when Eunseol awoke, the sunlight was streaming from the window directly opposite her bed. Right, we've forgot to draw the blinds. She turned to her side where a warm physique lay. And of course, Eunbyeol would not get up until the sun is high and up in the sky.

Eunseol dragged herself to the en suite bathroom to wash up before skipping down the steps to the kitchen for a cup of filtered coffee. Surprisingly, Seungcheol was already up and sitting on the high chair, forehead lying on the cool countertop, waiting for his bagel to pop up from the toaster. He seems so out of it, so stressed that it worried Eunseol greatly. She did not want him to be so stressed in case he turned out like her.

“Oppa, did you get any sleep last night? ” Eunseol asked as she make her way to the coffee machine as she prepared two shots of Americano, one for her and the other for her lifeless brother.

Just then, the door bell rang. Figuring that her brother was not going to make a move to answer the person at the gate, she took the initiative and walked towards the intercom but not before handing Seungcheol oppa his shot of caffeine. “Here, this should wake you up.” She whispered, nudging him out of his zombie state.

Eunseol then made a beeline for the monitor beside the gate, checking out who the visitor was. “Oppa, I bought breakfast for us.” a honey brown haired girl called out as she shook the brown paper bag in her hand. Apparently, there was an intercom in the kitchen that Eunseol failed to notice which allowed Seungcheol to see and hear the angelic voice of his girlfriend.

“My baby! Let her in, Seollie-ah,” he croaked, not able to contain the sleepy voice of his. Eunseol obeyed her oppa and went out to unlock the main gate for her. “Choi Eunbyeol, what took you so long to open the gate for me?” She questioned as the girl toes off her sneakers and enter the warm heaven.

At that exact moment, Eunbyeol drags her sleepy down the stairs and stared at Seungcheol's girlfriend, well more of the paper bag in her hand. “Good morning Seulgi unnie, is that for me?” Eunbyeol pointed at the food, stomach growling loudly. She seems to not note the disbelief that was in the female's eyes, who seems bewildered by the sudden appearance of Eunbyeol's clone.

Seulgi whipped her head back and forth, trying to make sense out of the almost impossible situation. Eunbyeol came down and snatched the paper bag containing their breakfast and made her way into the kitchen while Seungcheol was watching from the kitchen, making fun out of his girlfriend's puzzled features, not wanting to help her solve this mystery.

Eunseol decided to approach the girl and introduce herself politely, “Hi, I'm Choi Eunseol, Eunbyeol's twin and that dork you called a boyfriend's sister.” By then, Seulgi appeared to have grasped the situation and she too, bowed and began getting herself acquainted with her possible future sister-in-law.

“My name is Lee Seulgi, just call me Seulgi. I've been dating this piece of for two years and he didn't mention anything about having another sister.” She sent a piercing glare in her boyfriend's direction which caused Seungcheol to cower in fear.

“Let's start on breakfast and continue our getting-to-know-each-other session.” They both took a seat across each other and Seungcheol instantly pulled his girlfriend into his arms, nuzzling his head into the neck of hers.

“So, Eunseollie, I can call you that right?” she paused, gaining approval from the girl sipping on her coffee. Eunseol nodded which gave Seulgi the 'okay' to continue, “What are you planning to do today? You'll be attending our school right? How about asking Byeol to bring you around our campus so you can familiarise yourself with the school?”

Before Eunseol can make her decision, her twin sister was already making the necessary arrangements for them, asking their chauffeur to meet them in 30 minutes and planning the so-called itinerary for today. She also called up Ha Eun who readily agreed to go with them on this tour around campus.

“The time now is 10:04” Seulgi glanced at the watch clasped onto her wrist, “You three can come round to the boys' campus after you are done. It would be lunch time then. Maybe the President of the Seventeen Elite Committee would be kind enough to let me off for lunch for y'all.” She suggested as she elbowed her boyfriend, hinting to the said President.

Seungcheol finally woke up from his short nap while the girls were eating and saw the clock from the corner of his eyes. “, babe, why didn't you wake me up? We need to leave now” He emphasized the now, stressing the fact that they were already late for the board's meeting. Seungcheol then ruffled each of their hair, a habit he picked up over the years to annoy Eunbyeol, and dragged his girlfriend out of the kitchen. “See you both later,” Seulgi chorused as they rushed down the hallway to the garage

The both of them retreated back into their rooms and prepared for the mini tour later. The door beeped open and revealed Ha Eun who was in a furry denim jacket and knitted beanie. “Yoohoo, anybody home?” She called out to the ostensibly empty house.

Eunseol sauntered down the stairs and mocked the girl in front playfully “For once, in your lifetime, you are actually early. Let me present a trophy to you, Miss Tardy.” She held out an imaginary crown and presented it to the prize winner. Ha Eun decided to play along and pretended to receive the crown with her two bare hands and position it nicely on her head, giving off a queen aura.

“You two goofballs, let's go. Mr Lee is already waiting outside for us.” The three of them linked arms before skipping out together, eagerness plastered on their face, hoping that the campus lives up to its expectation as one of the top female high schools in Seoul.

“You're taking music composition?” Ha Eun screamed, voice echoing through the empty halls. She stared at Eunseol, perplexed, unable to comprehend what was in the head of the latter. Did that girl not learn her lesson yet? She finally escaped it, why bother running back to it again?

Eunseol caught her puzzlement, totally understanding why Ha Eun had reacted this way. She replied, showing a glimpse of resignation. “Yeah, if not what else should I major in? I have the passion and talent for it, so why not expand my potential in this prestigious art school” Bull. I hate it. But as much as I hate it, there's nothing else I can do.

They were exploring Block B of the campus after a brief round in the main building. Eunbyeol had came across the recording studio and casually remarked that this would be her second home next time when she starts attending the school which starts in a few days time. Eunseol voiced out the assumption that the student composer's work must be tough which then sparked off Ha Eun's question about her major.

Probably not sensing the tension between the two best friends, Eunbyeol swiftly shifted the topic to lunch as they came to the end of the tour.

“That's about it in this school. The campus isn't that big here, it's bigger at the boys' side. Oh, and another thing you need to know is that the teachers..., they aren't exactly the helpful ones.” Eunbyeol winced, remembering the time when the teachers tried organizing a party for them. It had been a disaster.

“We may be a prestigious school but the only thing they know is to teach. Those wolves hardly know anything about managing the welfare of the students so most of these are done through the student council. Seungcheol oppa's girlfriend, Seulgi, she was nominated this year as the head, so if there's anything you can just feedback to her.”

A loud ring blasted from Eunbyeol's phone when Eunseol was arguing at the back with Ha Eun and at the same time, letting her know who Seulgi was. They were still engage in a hushed debate about Eunseol's major when Eunbyeol pouts and announced, “Seulgi unnie said she can't afford to leave now. Something about her landing in a crisis, more or less along those lines.”

Suddenly, a light bulb came into both Ha Eun and Eunbyeol's minds and they exchanged knowing looks. “We can buy chicken and visit the them now! We can also tour around the boys' campus then!” Ha Eun said, looking proud of her idea.

“I second that, but I don't want chicken. I'm pissed just thinking about it. Let's get MacDonald's” Eunbyeol mumbled, smoke starting to rise from her head as she thought about the previous day incident with a strawberry head guy.

Without further hesitation, Ha Eun dragged the two sisters, excited at the thought of greasy burgers and salty fries for lunch. However, she was stopped by Eunbyeol who belatedly realised that they were going in the opposite direction of the main gate. They did a u-turn and headed for the right way this time.

After 20 minutes of trying to figure out where the nearest MacDonald's was and passing by two fried chicken shop, they finally located the big, yellow 'M' that was supposedly only 500m away according to Google Maps. “I still don't understand why we couldn't have just gotten fried chicken, it was literally the closest shop to the school.” Ha Eun grumbled, holding a grudge against Eunbyeol after having walked 20 minutes out in the cold.

“I'll explain someday, when I've cooled down enough,” Eunbyeol sighed and added under her breath, “which is probably going to be never.” The two bickering girls stood in two different queues, exchanging conversations across the line until one of them got to the counter.

“Can I have 4 Big Macs, 2 1955 Burgers, 5 Deluxe Shrimp Burgers all with set meals please.” Eunbyeol ordered as she scanned through the menu. “Unnie, we need to order for 12 people, not 11. You're missing one.” Eunseol tapped her shoulder and informed her.

“Aish, I really didn't want to order for that piglet. 1 more Deluxe Shrimp Burger, meal.” She begrudgingly mumbled the extra order to the cashier. Eunseol instinctively took out her card, wanting to pay for the lunch but Eunbyeol shot her down and gave her a disapproving stare.

Right, they insisted on paying for the food. Since she has made a promise with her sister, Eunseol did not force it anymore, reminding herself that there is someone now to share her burdens with her.

They waited for approximately 15 minutes for the burgers to be ready as they sneak fries into their growling stomachs, trying to sate their hunger. When their orders have arrived, they piled into the SUV as Eunbyeol had kindly requested for her chauffeur to come to the diner to pick them up, for they did not want to walk back in the cold with the hot burgers and fries.

It was only a less than 5 minute drive when they entered the Shinhwa boys' campus. Eunseol looked out of the window as they near the large structure. In the distance, she could see a towering figure, standing in the cold, waiting at the entrance.

She caught a glimpse of silver hair, I don't think it would be him, would it? She reflected as she jogged her memory, thinking about when did she see this tuff of silver hair before. Before she could remember where she had encounter him, Eunbyeol had open the door and stepped out.

“Your royal highness, peasant Kim Mingyu was sent by the queen from above to bring you through our grand palace. I humbly welcome you t-” As he bends forward to curtsy the so-called princess, he was met with a slap on the back of his head by Eunbyeol. He intuitively stood up and glared at the much shorter girl while cradling his head with his left hand.

“You are such a dork Kim Mingyu, just bring us in already.” It was only then when he turned his body to face the two newcomers, it was then when he saw her again. Eunseol was standing rooted to the ground, speechless. She didn't expect to meet eyes again with the guy who ruined her favourite white button-down that she had painstakingly tried to remove the stain from.

She didn't expect to see the guy who had probably stole her navy blue badge. What she didn't expect the most was that the guy who probably figured out her deepest secret is standing right in front of her, appearing to have a very close relationship with her sister.

, he is so gonna reveal everything about me.

Mingyu studied her face features, confirming that she was the same person he had met at the airport before bursting out, “Eh? Aren't you the de-”

 


 

Characters:

Choi Eunseol

Choi Eunbyeol ; the twin sister

Choi Seungcheol ; the brother

Yoon Ha Eun ; the best friend and Jeonghan's little sister

Yoon Jeonghan ; Seungcheol's best friend and Ha Eun's elder brother

Lee Seulgi ; Seungcheol's girlfriend

 

Thank you to my subscribers for supporting my first story ever!!

Word count: 2737