Chapter Eight

Masquerade

Tall barb wire electrical fences, a wide piece of land leading to another fence and tall watch towers represented one particular area of Korea, the demilitarized zone. The border between the South and North is always heavily protected and armed with land mines, so for anyone to get past it is a difficult feat. But the tracks from the King’s men had led Seunghyun, Jiyong and Kyurhee here. Even in their undead forms, they should have been spotted by guards on either side of the zone, so for them to make it past this area and into the south, they must have received help from someone.

The three Shadows currently hid themselves in the shadow of one of the guard towers in the south. They noticed that there was no apparent damage to the fences and movement from guards on either side was kind of slow. Using the shadow of the tower, Kyurhee climbed up the side of it and incapacitated the two guards at the top. She took the binoculars one of them had and used them to look down into the land mine field land.

If any land mines had been detonated recently, there would be evidence of them on the ground but she saw none. She gritted her teeth and slammed her fist down on the railing and then made her way back down to where Seunghyun and Jiyong where.

“There is no evidence of land mine detonations on the ground and there is no apparent repair to the fences. If someone had crossed through here we would have seen people working out here on the fences and replacing land mines.” Kyurhee said.

“You’re right. They used a different method to get the men on this side. Too bad there are no more sets of tracks, only the ones from the King’s men.” Seunghyun said while crouching down to touch one of the footprints on the ground.

“Perhaps a warlock summoning? It’s the easiest way to do it.” Jiyong mentioned.

“How do we even know they came from the north though? They could have just set the bodies to walk from here to make us think they came from the north.” Kyurhee said while pointing towards the fence.

“We’re not sure of that. I think we should inform Jaehee of this and see if she wants us to proceed into crossing over. There could be more tracks of them on the other side.” Seunghyun told her and Jiyong nodded. Kyurhee sighed and nodded at her friends. She would like to just go ahead and cross over now but she knew it would be better come prepared. This area was dangerous even for the Shadows.





Eunjung sat motionless in the chair next to her bed where Jiyeon was currently laying on. After Jiyeon fainted, Eunjung had quickly picked her up and taken her to her room to lay her down on the bed. She had asked Soyeon to cast a healing spell on her to awaken her but Soyeon told Eunjung that it was best to just let Jiyeon wake up on her own. Waking her up right after fainting would probably shock the young girl even more.

The rest of the guardians were waiting around the common area, while five out of the six were still in Eunjung’s room. Soyeon, Hwayoung and Boram were leaning against one of the walls in Eunjung’s room and Hyomin was pacing back and forth. It was hard for the warrior to stand still when she was waiting for something or someone.

Qri had woken up soon after Jiyeon had fainted so when she made her way down to the common area, she was surprised to see all the guardians gathered there. She heard one of them mention the Chosen One, so when she asked what he was talking about he told her to head up to Eunjung’s room to see what was going on.

She lightly knocked on the door to Eunjung’s room and was greeted by Hyomin who moved to open the door. She saw the rest of the girls there and Jiyeon laying on Eunjung’s bed unconscious. She gasped at the sight of the younger girl because she didn’t expect the girl to make it to their headquarters so soon.

“What is she doing here?” Qri asked.

Eunjung turned to look at the mage and responded, “I brought her here to tell her everything.”

“But she just met you a few days ago! Don’t you think it’s kind of early?” Qri shouted.

“Shh! She’s waking up.” Soyeon said as she walked over to Jiyeon who had begun to stir. Noticing the slight movement, Eunjung grabbed Jiyeon’s hand and held it close to her lips. Jiyeon frowned and slowly opened her eyes, the gray ceiling greeting her.

She felt someone holding her hand and turned to look to the right. Eunjung’s eyes greeted her own and this relaxed her a bit. “Eunjung…where am I?” She started to sit up but her throbbing head made it hard and she fell back on the bed.

Eunjung moved to help her sit up, “You’re in my room. I brought you in here after you fainted.”

Soyeon took a seat next to Jiyeon and placed her hands on each side of Jiyeon’s head. She was going to cast her soothe mind spell to help Jiyeon relief her pain but just touching her seemed to do all of Soyeon’s work.

Jiyeon turned to look at the priest and gave her a slight smile, “Thank you for whatever you just did. It made my headache go away.”

“I…I didn’t…you’re welcome.” Soyeon stumbled to find the right words. Was this her affect on Jiyeon? She wasn’t sure.

Jiyeon turned to face Eunjung and placed her free hand on top of Eunjung’s hand that was still holding onto her other hand. “Eunjung…all those people out there, everyone here, and you…what’s going on? Why kneel before me like that?”

“Because you are our true leader. You are the person who was born with the soul of the Chosen One. God himself has blessed you and chosen you to be hero of the human race and we are nothing more than your guardians. We protect you in order for you to protect the human race.” Eunjung explained and squeezed Jiyeon’s hands.

Jiyeon frowned and shook her head. God? Chosen One? Guardians? Human race? She didn’t understand what Eunjung was talking about; she was just a human girl, 19 years old, a freshman in college with dreams and aspirations just like everyone her age. She was trying to find her way in this world not be its hero.

“I think you’re mistaken Eunjung. I’m no one, just a teenage girl.” Jiyeon responded.

“That’s where you’re wrong.” Soyeon replied. “You think that that is who you are because you’re not born knowing what your fate it is. In fact, none of us did, but we ended up here and being one of your guardians. It is our duty to help you discover who you are and help you unleash your powers. You’re way more than what you think you are.”

“You are all that is good in this world Jiyeon. You are the light of this world itself.” Eunjung told her and finally let go of her hands. You’re the light of mine.

Jiyeon looked into Eunjung’s eyes and saw the sincerity in them. She turned to look at Soyeon who gave her a reassuring smile and then she looked at everyone else in the room who gave a nod. She looked down at her hands and clenched them tightly. She sure didn’t feel that special right now nor did she feel any ‘powers’ flowing through her. Her thoughts went back to the night she met Eunjung and the people who had attacked her.

It now made sense as to why they would try to attack her. Shadows. Eunjung had mentioned them and then she remembered Jaehee. She remembered what Eunjung had said about the taller woman in the restaurant. But those vibrant green eyes, that genuine smile and generous kindness how could Jaehee be one of them. The Shadows that had attacked her didn’t show anything like that in their eyes or faces. They were pure evil.

In her reminiscing and realization of current events, Jiyeon failed to notice the bright aura emanating from her body. Everyone was surprised by it and looked at her with shocked expressions, except for Eunjung.

“You’re…you’re glowing!” Hwayoung shouted and pointed at Jiyeon.

Hwayoung’s voice broke Jiyeon out of her thoughts and made her look down at herself. She managed to catch a brief glance at the glow around her but it quickly disappeared now that she wasn’t focused on past events.

“Your powers seem to be awakening at a rapid pace,” Soyeon smiled and continued; “Eunjung and Hyomin have already said you have an affect on them. I also felt something when I touched you.”

“She shook my hand this morning and had an affect on me as well.” Qri admitted. Everyone looked at her.

“Praise!” Hwayoung shouted which caused everyone except Eunjung and Jiyeon to burst into laughter. Qri gave the younger guardian a nasty glare which Hwayoung just shrugged off and kept giggling.

“I guess I am special…” Jiyeon said making everyone look at her once more.

“Is it too much for you to take in?” Eunjung asked.

Jiyeon nodded slightly, “Yes, but realization is the first step.”

“If you want I can take you back home now. We can continue another day when you feel better.” Eunjung told her.

Jiyeon shook her head. “No, it’s fine. I think the least I could do is get introduced to everyone today. I know some of you in here, but I think everyone else outside of this room is expecting to see me once again.”

Eunjung nodded and helped Jiyeon get out of the bed. The members of the Elite Six introduced themselves to her and then led her out of the room to greet all the other guardians who erupted into cheers once they saw her exit the room. Jiyeon smiled and waved at them as she made her way down the stairs.





Jaehee had been arranging all of her school supplies to get ready for the next day. She had spent most of the afternoon shopping for school supplies and a few items of clothing. She was placing the last few items in her backpack when Kyurhee, Jiyong and Seunghyun entered the apartment and greeted her. The three of them eyed the school supplies as they came around to take a seat on one of the couches in the living room. Jaehee patted the backpack and turned to face them.

“What’s with the backpack?” Kyurhee asked.

“I start school tomorrow.” Jaehee replied.

“You’re going college?” Jiyong asked her and Jaehee nodded.

“Why the sudden interest in school?” Her sister asked.

“I’m sure you all remember my plan to get closer to the Chosen One,” the three of them nodded and Jaehee continued, “well, I went against your advice. I found out what school she goes to and it happened to be one of the universities I had been accepted to. I registered and was allowed to attend this semester. I also kind of managed to not only meet her but befriend her and hang out with her.”

“What?!” Jiyong and Kyurhee yelled out at the same time.

“Really? But what about her guardians? I mean, they would never allow you near her.” Seunghyun asked and expectantly awaited her answer along with the other two.

Jaehee chuckled, “Actually…one of her guardians was with her the whole time. In fact, I’ve seen two others.”

She laughed at their shocked expressions. “Jiyeon and I had met briefly before her guardians even found her. She was already too friendly towards me for Eunjung to stop her from being near me. I also think that Eunjung hasn’t informed her of anything yet, but I know that she knows that I’m a Shadow. Eunjung though…she’s an interesting one.”

“I can’t believe you were able to do that! I mean, you even have names! Wow.” Jiyong was incredulous at the moment and Seunghyun and Kyurhee were no different either.

Jaehee grinned, “I made sure to present myself in a friendly manner. I don’t mean any harm to them.”

“Yes, but you’re still a Shadow. You might have won the girl’s trust but that guardian is not going to be easy.” Kyurhee told her.

The green eyed Shadow sighed, “I know…but I’m still going to try. Anyways, how did the scouting trip go? Did you guys find any clues about where my father’s men came from?”

The three Shadows nodded and proceeded to inform Jaehee of their findings. They told her about the tracks leading to the border with North Korea and how they ended there. “We don’t know whether there are tracks on the other side, but we would like to crossover and find out.” Seunghyun said.

“Crossing over is dangerous even for us. If you’re going to do it, I want you gather a scouting party. Rogues to disarm land mines and incapacitate guards, warlocks for summoning to make crossing over faster-” Jaehee was saying before being cut off by her sister.

“Yes, we already mentioned all that while we planned on the way back. I think we should proceed with that tomorrow.” Kyurhee explained.

“No, gather those who would aid you the best first, but wait until next week to go.” Jaehee told them.

“Next week? That’s too long.” Kyurhee replied.

“I understand that, but I don’t want anything happening to you guys right now if you manage to find something on the other side. Jiyong and Seunghyun, you guys have been looking forward to this weekend for a while now. I don’t want your anniversary celebration getting interrupted.” Jaehee looked at her two best friends as she explained her reasoning for waiting so long.

“We didn’t think of that. I mean, yeah we’ve been looking forward to it but we didn’t think that it would be a problem to it tomorrow or the day after.” Seunghyun replied.

“I think we’ll be fine. There shouldn’t be a reason to wait.” Jiyong added and Kyurhee nodded.

Jaehee shook her head, “I like your confidence but I rather not risk anything. You guys are excellent trackers so I know that you’ll find clues once you cross over even if we have to wait four more days. I insist you wait.”

The warrior and the warlock looked at each other and then back at their friend. “We’ll do as you say then.” Seunghyun replied.

Kyurhee slammed her fist on the coffee table. “Fine! We’ll wait until then but Jiyong your party better be the best one yet!”

“Gurl you know it~” Jiyong snapped his fingers at Kyurhee and all four of them burst into laughter.

“Well, it’s settled then. Who’s hungry?” Jaehee asked and they all raised their hands. “Let’s go eat then. My treat!”

“I want a cheeseburger and shot gun on the front seat!” Jiyong called out as he followed after Jaehee with Kyurhee and Seunghyun trailing behind them.

“Pizza sounds better.”

“Kimbap es!”

“We’ll just hit up a buffet damn it!” Jaehee yelled at them as she shut the front door and locked it.





Jiyeon was walking a few steps ahead of Eunjung as they headed towards the guardian’s motorcycle. She had spent that last hour meeting all of the guardians and just being completely overwhelmed by it. Everyone had been really nice, and talked to her about how they would make sure to do their job even better now to make sure she was proud of them. Jiyeon had thanked them for doing what they do but it bothered her that all these people had to put their lives in danger for her.

Realization of who she is was one thing but accepting it was another. She was now standing next to the motorcycle while Eunjung was placing her separated swords in the attachment areas of the bike and then getting both of their helmets. Her mind was racing with everything that had just happened and it was building up another headache. She knew she wouldn’t sleep well tonight.

“Jiyeon? Jiyeon?” Eunjung lightly shook her while trying to get her attention.

Jiyeon shook her head and looked at the older girl, “I’m sorry what is it Jungie?”

“Your helmet. Put it on.” Eunjung told her and handed her the open face helmet. Jiyeon put the helmet on and then climbed on the motorcycle to take her seat behind Eunjung.

“You shouldn’t have stayed as long as you did. I know it made it worse for you. I’m sorry for bringing you here. It was too early.” Eunjung apologized and started the bike.

“No, you did the right thing. I wanted to know more about you and about the events that had happened. I don’t think it would have been any different if you had waited longer.” Jiyeon explained.

“Goodbye Jiyeon! We wish you a safe ride back home.” Hyomin said as she waved goodbye. Next to her Boram, Qri and Hwayoung were waving as well.

“Thanks guys. It was nice meeting all of you.” Jiyeon waved back at them and smiled.

“Jiyeon!” Soyeon called out. “It’s my shift in the city at the moment. I’ll see you when you arrive home.” Soyeon was currently in the passenger seat of a Jeep with one of the guardians driving and two more seating in the back. All four of them waved at her and then pulled off.

“See you later unni!” Jiyeon shouted out to Soyeon while waving back. Shouting was a bad idea though, pain shot through her head and she winced. This headache was going to be a bad one. Eunjung wasted no more time and pulled out of the parking spot and took off.

Half an hour later, they were pulling up to Jiyeon’s apartment building. Once again showing her chivalry, Eunjung helped Jiyeon get off the bike. She noticed the slight frown on the young girl’s beautiful face and moved her hands to massage Jiyeon’s temples. Jiyeon’s expression softened with Eunjung’s thumbs diligently working away her headache.

“That feels good Jungie…” Jiyeon moaned.

“So you did have a headache then? It will go away now.” Eunjung said as she continued. “You will be ok to attend school tomorrow right? I’ll be here early to pick you up.”

“Yesss…” Jiyeon moaned once again. Her headache was going away but with Eunjung’s hands on her and her body so close, jolts of pleasure were running down Jiyeon’s body. She had never felt anything like it and she was really enjoying it.

Noticing the change not only on her face but how relaxed her body was becoming, Eunjung knew she was affecting Jiyeon more than she needed to. She stopped the movements of her thumbs and moved her hands to hold Jiyeon’s. The abrupt stop from Eunjung brought Jiyeon back to her senses and she opened her eyes to see the older girl staring back at her.

She blushed madly at this moment. Oh my goodness! Did I…is this…ahh! I can’t believe I became aroused with that! Get a hold of yourself Jiyeon! “Th-thank you. I-I feel better.” she stuttered.

“Good.” Eunjung replied.

“I should head inside now. I’ll see you tomorrow Jungie.” Jiyeon wrapped her arms around Eunjung and hugged her.

“Okay, you have a goodnight Jiyeon.” Eunjung said as she hugged her back. She took in Jiyeon’s scent and felt herself becoming intoxicated with it. The tiniest of smiles crept up her lips but disappeared as soon as Jiyeon detached herself. Jiyeon stepped back and turned to head towards the main doors of the apartment building. She waved at Eunjung before heading inside and then disappeared into the first elevator that opened its doors.

Eunjung waved back and then jumped on her motorcycle. She started it up and looked around the area spotting the guardians on look out. She turned to look at Jiyeon’s apartment building and noticed an older woman looking down at her from one of the windows. She briefly glanced at her but then turned to look in front of her took off back to the warehouses that she called home.