Prologue

Masquerade

The pounding of the rain echoed throughout the empty warehouse. Drops of water fell from the openings in the roof forming puddles on the ground and coated railings and stairs with their wetness. Her enemies were agile and moved along with the shadows. She scanned their movement before her eyes landed on the single drop of water that had landed on one of the handles of her sword. She watched as the droplet trickled down from the handle to the hilt. With the aid of the light that shined on the droplet she saw as the first attacker had launched itself towards her from her left side. She quickly rose from her crouching position and swung her massive sword in an angled upwards motion and cut cleanly through the torso of her attacker.

The sound of guns firing made her react quickly as she slammed the massive buster sword into the metal railing and sat behind it to shield herself from the shots. The bullets made clicking noises as they reflected off the sword. Eunjung gritted her teeth and reached for both of her pistols that were snugly tucked into the holders around her thighs. In a swift motion she moved to her left and accurately shot the two assailants on the bottom floor and then shot the two that were coming from each side of the metal railings she was standing on. The two men fell with the sound of a loud thud and gasped at the pain and blood that poured out from their wounds.

She tucked the guns back into their holsters and picked up the massive sword from where she had stuck it. On the ground below, her second in command deflected the swing of a broadsword with her katana before kicking another attacker in the chest to push him back. As she swung back around towards her right to cut through the torso of the first attacker she missed the sword the swung at her from her right side. The blade cut a shallow cut on her side and Hyomin gasped out in pain. She fell to her knees and grabbed at the cut with her left hand while using the katana in her right hand for support.

She could hear the footsteps of the enemies approaching her to take her down. A robed figure suddenly landed beside her and slammed her staff into the ground. A serene aura surrounded her ally as Soyeon glared at the enemies approaching them.

"Holy Nova!" Soyeon shouted out and instantly a dome of light began to spread from her as it cratered the ground around the two Guardians. The dome spread, its holy power burning and inflicting pain on all the attackers headed towards them and healing Hyomin's wound at the same time.

As soon as the dome of light dissipated, one lone attacker came running towards Soyeon, but she quickly called for her Holy Fire attack, incinerating him with holy power. Hyomin was about to run towards him to cut him down but a cone of ice quickly blew the attacker away. He became frozen in the spot he landed and was then pierced in the chest by a lance made of ice.

Qri winked at Hyomin and Soyeon and then began to channel her powers creating a chilly atmosphere. The wind grew more intense and blew open the doors to the warehouse, instantly chilling the air that came in and freezing all the water droplets falling from the openings in the roof. Hyomin and Soyeon simply nodded at each other and ran off to strike down any lingering enemies on the bottom floor of the warehouse.

Meanwhile, across from where Eunjung had been scanning her surrounding minutes before, a single warrior effortlessly cut through all the enemies attacking with powerful swings of her spear. Hwayoung's movements almost mimicked a beautiful dance as she moved with the long and sturdy, yet powerful weapon.

From the roof of the building, a shorter girl accurately struck down all the enemies headed towards the warehouse with a flight of arrows. When one managed to get within range of her, she dodged his attack and jammed the dagger that was hidden in her boot just moments ago into his neck.

Qri's intense blizzard stopped abruptly as one of the attackers struck the side of her face with the handle of his sword. She fell to the ground holding the side of her head but simply laughed through the pain as she saw him trying to douse the raging fire on his arm, something caused by the molten armor that invisibly surrounded her.

As soon as he managed to douse the fire on his arm, the attacker ran towards Qri with all the intent to end her life, but luckily for the mage, Boram came swinging towards the attacker and kicked him towards the other side of the room. She landed lightly on her feet and pulled at the rope she had used to jump down from the roof.

Hyomin and Soyeon joined them just seconds later, the priest kneeling down to apply a quick healing spell on the mage. Hwayoung jumped off the metal railing and landed next to them. The five of them formed a circle as they stood defensively facing the men who were still up and able to fight. All of them surrounded the girls, ready to attack at any moment; the girls knew that this is where the fight was going to get harder.

Suddenly, the crescent shaped end of a scythe attached to a chain flew from the south towards the group but was cut down by Eunjung's buster sword as she landed just in front of her teammates. Another chained scythe flew towards them before she got a chance to stand up, but Hwayoung was ready this time. She used her long spear to catch and tangle the chain around her weapon and then tugged the spear back like a fishing pole causing it's wielder to fly forward towards the group.

Wasting no time, Hyomin ran towards him and jumped up with her katana and struck him down. Both she and the dead attacker landed a few feet in front of Eunjung who was standing still, sword already attached to her back.

"Impressive." A light cackle and clap could be heard from the man who stood in the back of the group of attackers. It was obvious he was their leader, clad in dark chain mail with a long sword on his right hand.

Hwayoung and Hyomin stood defensively next to Eunjung who simply looked at the man with no expression in her eyes. She looked at him like he was of no interest to her which made him scowl. He stepped forward a bit making the men part a little wider.

"I challenge you." He pointed his sword towards Eunjung before dashing towards her. She didn't move until he was about to strike. With lightning speed, she grabbed both handles of her sword, twisted them, and separated the buster sword in the air. The shorter blade on her left hand cut through the leader's long sword like it was butter and the longer sword on her right hand landed on the man's right shoulder.

He laughed, thinking her strike had missed him, but his eyes suddenly marked a shocked expression on his face. The back side of the longer blade sliced his head cleanly off his shoulders. The indent shape on the sword was just as sharp as the other side of the blade. The attackers were shocked at the sight of their leader's body falling to the ground and the head rolling away. They backed away and then ran out of the warehouse. Hyomin tried to give chase to them but was stopped by Eunjung's sword that appeared right in front of her neck. She looked at Eunjung from the corner of her eye and backed away gritting her teeth.

"I think this is the first time in a long time that we've seen this many." Boram commented as she began to loop the rope in her hands.

"Yes, but it's the high activity of The Shadows that has me worried. They haven't attacked or appeared to cause trouble for hundreds of years and now all of the sudden they've begun to move." Soyeon said as she applied healing spells to each one of the other girls to help them recuperate their energy.

"The answer to all this is a simple one. The Chosen One has been reincarnated." Hyomin said with a simple shrug of her shoulders.

"They want to know how powerful we've gotten in all this time. This group was made of basic trained recruits. We shall head back to headquarters. Soyeon cast a purifying spell and then set the place on fire Qri." Eunjung ordered the two casters and began walking towards to the exit. The rest of the girls began walking behind her, leaving only Soyeon and Qri to complete their tasks.

Outside of the building, Hyomin quickly caught up to Eunjung. "Are you going to ask Him if the Chosen One has been reincarnated? You know it's our duty to find him or her."

Eunjung stopped walking and turned to look at Hyomin with the same blank expression she looked at everyone with. "I already have." She then turned around and headed for her motorcycle.

Hyomin frowned as she watched their leader speed away on her vehicle and turned around to see Soyeon and Qri headed towards her and the two other girls. They got into Hyomin's car, and as she drove away, the blaze behind them lit up the night sky.