Chapter One

Where'd You Go?

A/N: I haven't written anything long in while so this is going to be a bumpy ride for all of us. That aside I'm still doing this so I hope all of you will stick with me. The start is bit story tellish but I'll fix that as we go along, we good? Aweosome then. 


Kris sighed as he signed one last paper and placed it into a folder before placing that folder on a tall stack of on his desk. He tiredly reached for his cup of instant migraine relief, otherwise known as the only thing that kept him from being charged with assault. But the moment his usually trusted liquid touched his lips he cringed. Was there anything worse in the world than cold coffee? With a scowl he set the cup down and made a mental note to stop by Suho’s Coffee shop before heading back to his house. Leaning back against his seat he rubbed the tiredness from his face before glancing at the clock, eight thirty, there was no way he was making it to Suho’s place before he closed at nine. Another purposely long day at the office. His back was sore and neck was taunt but being stuck at the office doing work was better than resting at his house.

His eyes shifted to a framed photograph next to his clock and almost instantly gaze softened. She always had that effect on him, with her breath taking smile and cheerful dark brown eyes. Almost unknowingly he reached out to caress the picture, but froze when his eyes landed on the silver wedding band on his ring finger. He pulled his hand away, unable to touch her with the reminder that it wasn’t on her hand that the other ring made its home. He didn’t want to dwell to long on the thought so he pushed it out of his mind as he stood up and grabbed his briefcase, he couldn’t postpone going home anymore.

The drive home wasn’t a long one but he always made a note of taking the longest route back. It was another petty way he kept from going back, and it helped clear his mind from work, and it let him think about her in peace. Despite knowing the shop was closed he drove past Suho’s shop on the other side of town before settling for a quick cup through a Starbucks’ drive through. She used to always make fun of his coffee choice, plain black dark roast with three sugars, saying it fit his personality to the letter, so bitter only a handful of lunatics could like it. Funny how even these little things made him think of her.

“Honey, you’re home.” Greeted him as soon as he pushed past the door. Without acknowledging her for a second he took his shoes off and placed his coat onto a coat rack. Even in this enormous house, he still followed the little rules she had always urged him to follow. “Yeah.” He finally replied as he slipped on his house slippers and walked past her toward his study. He didn’t miss the look of disappointment on her face, she was expecting more of him again. But as usual she didn’t give up and trailed after him “Have you eaten? Let’s eat together.”

He paused at the edge of the doorway, his hand resting on the doorknob, “Krystal…” he forced himself no to sigh out loud, he really didn’t want to eat with her but they had been married for two years now, and he had to stop punishing her for something she didn’t do. “Okay, just give me a minute” he sighed out, she wouldn’t approve the way he was treating his wife. He almost felt bad when she rushed toward the dining room with an egger smile and beaming eyes presumably to get everything ready.

Once he was in the comfort of his own study he set his suitcase on the desk and walked over to the fireplace above which sat three pictures. One a picture of a solemn looking family of three, another of a smiling older woman dressed in maids clothing watching over a boy who was struggling to balance a little girl on his back, and between them was one of his favorite pictures in the world. The same girl whose image sat on his desk, same blinding smile, short blonde hair a perfect mess, wearing a t-shirt underneath a black blazer that could only belong to the grinning boy next to her who was in a formal long sleeve shirt with a black tie.

Looking at the pictures you couldn’t tell but she was wearing patched up jean shorts and running shoes, sticking out like a sore thumb amongst the formal dresses and suits. You could tell right away she wasn’t supposed to have been there. He had just been accepted into a Fraternity at his University, and it was parents’ night, but his parents had called him telling him they weren’t going to be able to make it. He should’ve been used it, they were always leaving him like that, ever since he was a little kid. Still he’d been a little more than disappointed when they cancelled so he did what he always did when he needed someone. He called her and in a matter of hours she had boarded a train and sprinted toward his University Frat house because her Korean wasn’t perfect and she was embarrassed to use it in public. She’d dropped everything for him, and when he saw her there he almost jumped her but of course he didn’t because he had a reputation to uphold. Still it didn’t stop him from grinning like an idiot for the rest of the night.

This time he did touch her face affectionately, she always did that. She would do anything and everything for him, but he had never appreciated it until she disappeared. “Amber” he breathed out wishing she could respond in that childish way of hers.

“Kris.” Someone called his name but it wasn’t the voice he wanted to hear, “Dinner is ready.” He nodded and took a step back from the fire place, turning to face his wife. Looking at Krystal standing in the doorway looking like the embodiment of a trophy wife his chest clenched. This was his life now, and she wasn’t a part of it, but he couldn’t let her go. Not without knowing what had happened to her. With one last glance at the photograph he walked towards the dining room, this time not noticing that his wife stayed behind staring resentfully at the pictures.

She wasn’t in a single one.

She walked towards the picture he had be looking at with so much love and sighed, she wasn’t surprised. Amber had been the center of his life and his attention from the moment she disappeared three years ago. She was jealous, drowning in jealousy over someone who could very well be dead. It shouldn’t be like that, Kris was supposed to have learned to love her, that’s how arranged marriages worked. Just like her sister's, and her mother's, but it wasn’t the same for her. Her husband could never love her, not when he was in love with a girl who had disappeared from his life the moment he needed her the most. Her lips pressed together bitterly, she had left, but she had been there to try to comfort him but no matter what she did, he wouldn’t let her in. There was no room in his heart for her. It was Amber’s and Amber’s alone.

The familiar tightening of told her she’d be in tears soon if she didn’t control herself. So she took a shaky breath and let it out. She just had to think of the promise Kris had made her, if by the end of the year there was no sign of Amber, he’d stop looking for her. She just knew in her heart that once Amber was thing of the past, Kris would grow to love her. And luckily for her that time was almost up, just three more months, three more months of nothing and he would be hers entirely. Giving herself a reassuring nod she walked out of his study being mindful to shut the door behind her.

“Where were you?” Kris asked as she sat down across from him, his sleeves already rolled up to eat comfortably. “Nowhere just…arranging the cushions on the couch, they were out of place.” He knew she was probably lying but he didn’t question her, he just waited for her to sit down before he started to dig into his food. He usually ate in silence, much to her dismay, he did just about everything in silence. But he wasn’t always like that, at least not around Amber.

At one point in time Amber had been her very best friend, the first person to speak to her after she had moved back to Korea after having lived in the States for few years. Amber’s English was perfect, and while her Korean needed a little work it didn’t stop her from making friends. She drew people to her while she usually scared them away with one glance. They used to call her “Ice Princess” because she seemed so cold but in reality she had just been too shy to approach anyone. But Amber hadn’t been scared away even after a couple of “icy” glances on her part. Soon, like she had with so many people before, Amber melted her cold exterior and they became friends despite Amber being one grade above her. She could tell Amber everything knowing Amber was as silent as the grave, no one would ever learn of her insecurities.

It was through Amber that she had met and fallen for Kris. The first time she saw the much taller male he had been sitting a few rows ahead of her at the auditorium with the rest of his friends, most of which were on the basketball team. He’d looked so handsome, and it seemed like he too suffered from resting face. She was sitting with Sulli, another friend she had made through Amber, discretely trying to get a better look at his face without being obvious when she noticed Amber walk in, wrapped up in a letterman’s jacket that was obviously too big for her small frame. She noticed them and sent a grin in their direction after Sulli had gestured for her to come sit with them. She had been about to walk toward them when a hand shot out from a few rows ahead and stopped her in her tracks. She couldn’t hear what they were saying, the slowly filling auditorium was getting louder so she couldn’t make out the words, she just noticed Amber making a face at the cold looking boy who seemed to be getting irritated, much to the amusement of his friends. She found herself hoping the boy wasn’t as mean as he looked.

Before she knew it he was snapping back at her and she was the one getting irritated, it looked as if she was about to throw the jacket off when he suddenly stood up startling Krystal by just how tall he was, his large hands shot out and Krystal closed her eyes shut, he wouldn’t hit a girl right? Sulli’s amused laugh forced her to open her eyes just in time to see him leaning over her a smirk on his face while his hands quickly buttoned up the jacket on her to the very top so her lips were hidden behind the large collar.

He was a kid with her, capable of doing even the smallest of annoying gestures to get Amber to react. It was this side of Kris she had fallen for, the playful yet affectionate side that seemed reserved for only those closest to him. She wanted to be on that small list of people but no matter what she did she couldn’t get him to notice her.

Life had been nice to her though, not too long into their junior year her older sister Jessica had shared some good news that would’ve been bad news had it been anyone else. Her parents had successfully found her a suitable husband. She had been expecting it, they had after all done the same thing to Jessica but her older sister had been so much older, ready to be married and she, well she was still a kid. She was worried, how much older would her husband be? Would he be an old middle aged man? She really hoped not, and she really hoped the wedding wouldn’t come too soon. That was until she found out the man whom she was to marry was none other than the boy she had spent the last three years of her life longing after.

There was just one problem, in those three years she had learned Amber was in love with him too. Although the other girl would never admit it, Krystal had seen the way she looked at him as if though he could do nothing wrong. She had seen her drop everything at a moment’s notice just to be with him. Yes she was in love with him and Kris had no idea. A part of her had been jealous, it wasn’t fair she had had Kris her whole life, how come she would get to love him too? Why couldn’t he love her? She did something stupid, something she partially regretted doing, partially because it could’ve been the reason Amber disappeared and if it wasn’t for her disappearance she knows, Kris would have never married her.

The sound of a vibrating phone pulled her out of her memories and she looked up to see Kris standing up, quickly wiping his mouth off with a napkin “I need to take this.” Without another word he all but sprinted off to his study and her stomach clenched, something deep down told her he never would be completely hers.