1 || END

Letters to the Moon

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Dear Hyukjae,

We're in the army !! Loyalty !! I thought of you a bit when I went in. You were so brave to meet ELF like that. I saw them on the parade ground and they all cheered me on happily it made my heart hurt a bit. I don't know how you were able to stand there and talk to them like that. The other recruits were teasing me a lot about the fans being there, but later one of them said it made his enlistment feel extra special, so I'm glad they didn't mind. It's a bit funny, I am the hyung here. I'm not used to that, but I'm trying to be a good hyung to the rest. Leeteuk hyung is a good example, so I'm trying to be like him. I'm sure you are easily leading everyone on your team, just as you led Super Junior when Teukie-hyung was gone. Anyway look at this letter. They only gave us paper to write letters just now and I'm immediately writing to you. I miss talking to you, but let's do well !!

Your Donghae

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Hyuk-ah~

What are you doing now ?? Are you sleeping well? Is it as cold there as it is here? I'm cold all the time here, and I'm not sure if the other recruits like me. Maybe I'm overthinking. The other day we had gun practice and I did quite well. ELF are writing me lots of letters, and they mention you a lot. Are you eating enough? Is your food any better than mine? This letter is really scattered but my fingers are numb so I'll end it here.

Your Donghae

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Hyukjae!

This letter is pretty soon after the other one, that's ok right? It's ok if you don't respond quickly. I was talking to my mother the other day and she said your mother was worried about you because you hadn't called her. Call your mother, Hyukjae !! We've already been in the army for 1 week ! Well, a bit longer for you, but can you believe it~ 1 week closer to being together again. You miss me a lot, right ?? I'm sure you are acting all cool with those younger recruits but don't forget about me ^^ Or the other members. Or your mother !! She is the most important. It's still cold here, is it cold where you are? Are you staying healthy? Some of the recruits here are sick, and it seems like they miss home more when they are sick. I hope I don't get sick... Well, Lee Hyukjae fighting!

Your Donghaek ^^

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Dear Hyuk

Wuah.. another week has already passed. I thought I would write you before this but the second week was very busy for me. Was it busy for you, too? Some of the training I don't like, when it makes me stay outside and in the cold for very long. I really like the classes though !! I am learning a lot about how our society works and how we can keep it safe. Are you also learning this ?? Or do you learn about international relations ?? Because you are going to be a front-line soldier !! The letters from ELF are coming like heavy snow here, is it the same for you? Oh right, did you call your mother? I heard you were selected as platoon leader and apparently acing all your physical tests. That's my Hyukkie ^^ Don't work too hard though !! You have to stay healthy. Don't use up all your energy in the army !! I am making friends now with some of these recruits. They are all younger than me, but they seem very nice. One of them has a kid! I really want kids some day, I was asking him all about it and told him I would sing at the baby's first birthday ^^ It's a very cute baby, Hyukjae, I saw a photo. It kind of looks like you, and it made me miss you a bit. But don't worry !! This Lee Donghae will be strong and protect the country well !!

Loyalty!

Conscripted Police Recruit 089 Lee Donghae ㅋㅋㅋ

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Hyukkie ㅠㅠ

I got sick ㅜㅜ It's really cold here and everyone is sick. I miss the warm dorm and my warm bed and I miss the members and I miss my family.

I miss you ㅜㅜ

Your Sick Donghae

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Dear Hyukjae,

How are you? I am fine. I got better, but I'm still cold. Probably I'll tell you in every letter I'm still cold ㅋㅋ What to do.. Well. What are you doing these days? Are you settling into the army life well? I have to assume so, since you are doing so well with the training. But.. are you happy? You have to talk to people if you are having a hard time, remember !! You can write me a letter and I will read it diligently ^^ Pour your heart there, for me ^^. Was that too cheesy ?? ㅎㅎㅎ If someone reads that part of this letter they might misunderstand, right? Maybe I shouldn't say more then ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ Soldier Lee Hyukjae !! Your friend Donghae is missing you but otherwise doing alright !!

DH

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Hyuk, where are you ??

It is three weeks. Do you know my address? Maybe you don't know my address.... I don't have much to say. Still cold. Still training. I am quite bad at waking up in the morning as usual but I'm getting better !! Wait, my address is on these letters. Hyukjae !! My address is there !! Please check it !! Your letters are not arriving here !!

Your Donghae who is not receiving even a single letter from his best friend

 


 

To: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

From: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

Hyuk ㅠ

We just had chemical weapon training and I really didn't like it ㅠㅠ They are taking care of us well here but I'm so cold and tired all the time and the days are not passing. How many letters have I written you now? 6? 7? I think about how many days have actually passed and the number is so small, but it feels like years since I saw you ㅠㅠ Teukie hyung sent me a nice letter and told me how the members were doing. He said he also sent you one.. did you receive it? Are you receiving my letters? I can't tell ㅜㅜ

Your Sad Donghae

 


 

To: Recruit 089 Lee Donghae

From: Recruit 216 Lee Hyukjae

Yah idiot~

So many letters! Are you ELF?? Sorry (sorry sorry sorry) I haven't replied until now... you haven't been too worried, right? Honestly... the hardest part is writing these letters. If I don't have to write, or call, then I can just be Recruit 216 and live successfully in the army. Writing these letters means I have to think about people I care about and then I start to feel sad. I miss you too... take care of yourself ok? Are you eating well? The food is really delicious right ㅋㅋㅋ let's eat taco together if our breaks coincide, to rinse the taste of army food ㅋㅋ. It is also quite cold here, but I'm not so bothered. I was sick too, I think everyone has been sick.. You have to take care of yourself, ok? Eat the warm food and wear your warmest clothes under the uniform. Are you sleeping ok? Dream nice dreams of me ㅎㅎ

Your Own Personal Anchovy

...

...

...

PS: I will draw out the footprints for you...

 


 

Donghae roughly rubbed his sleeve across his eyes as he read the last words, glancing around in the hope that nobody saw the few tears that managed to slip down his face. Folding the letter carefully, he tucked it back in the envelope and shoved it under his pillow before laying down himself.

As the other recruits fell asleep around him, Donghae smiled and reached up to touch the letter again, singing softly to himself.

Oh no this is not the end, baby~