Final

Happy Belated Birthday, Hyung.

I'm back!! Kkkkkk..

Attention:

1. Grammatical errors alert.

2. A box of tissue is needed. I’ve warned.

3: Words count: 2,870

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

The scorching sun bit his tanned skin. A few droplets of salty beads savored his bare neck. There were still two food servings needed to be delivered on time. Only then, he would finish his part-time job and called it a day. He skidded around the corner and pressed the break paddle on his left foot. He quickly hopped off from the yellow bike and picked out the servings.

After he finished with the job, he rode back to the Chinese restaurant where he worked. The old man, aka his boss seemed satisfied with his job. “I’m off boss! Thanks for today.” He smiled showing his perfect pearlies. He put some notes he received from the old man into his worn out wallet.

His hunching pace was quick heading back to his home. He worried if he would be late for lunch with his family. After few minutes of walking, he reached a bungalow in the elite neighbourhood.

He entered through the backdoor. Some maids bowed to him while he was happily beam his usual smile.

 

“I’m home.”

There was faint laughs from the dining hall. He took his sneakers off and heading towards the direction, a bit impatient to join the feast.

 

He smiled towards his family who was enjoying their lunch. “Ohh!! Hyung is back!” a boy around 6 years old greeted him with toothy smile. He was munching chicken sausage when he spun his head to spare a look to his hyung. “Hi, Taehyung.” He ruffled the boy’s hair. The boy just grinned back.

The delivery boy slowly took his seat beside Taehyung, facing the empty seat on his opposite side. A maid came to him serving him a plate of spaghetti. He bowed a bit.

“Ohh umma how about we throw a party for Leo hyung this Friday? Leo hyung is free on Friday right?” a brunette beamed to his mother.

“Of course Baek. Umma had planned everything for our prince. I already planned for the cake and decorations. Don’t worry baby Bacon.” The only female on that table replied.

“Umma is daebak! So.. Can I start inviting my friends? Umma? Leo Hyung?”

“Yes baby.” She smiled to Baekhyun who was bouncing on his seat.

Leo was just gracing a faint smile. Being the eldest between the four, he could not avoid the showering loves from his mother and baby brothers for every of his birthdays. He glanced over his father who ate silently at the table. Mr. Wu was infamous with his stern and stoic look. He rarely showed any emotions. Maybe Leo inherited such face from his father.

“Ma, Taehyungie wanna invite Jiminnie and Kookie. Can I?” the youngest shoot some puppy eyes to the mother. Mrs. Wu just nodded lovingly. Taehyung hollered join by Baekhyun in the background.

 

The delivery boy, slowly look up from his half-eaten plate. He blinked, lips a bit dry to ask the mother too. He hinted the mother to look up to meet his gaze. Unfortunately, the mother was too busy talking to his brothers.

His mouth gaped open then close again, finding the courage to voicing out his mind. The others were just too immersed with their discussion over this Friday birthday party for Leo.

 

“Don’t you dare to ask me to bring your friends, Daehyun. You are not going out for the party. Stay in your room. Understand?” Mrs. Wu's voice laced with venoms.

Daehyun just lowered his head while biting his lips.

 

“You didn’t learn what happened during last thanksgiving party huh? Or do you wanna me to give you another whip?”

“Ma. Enough.” Leo intercepted.

 

“Leo. Why you always siding that deaf boy? He is a disgrace to our family.” The mother’s voice was stern.

“Because he is my brother.” Leo spat.

 

“Now. Are you bickering with me because of him? I’m your mother Leo!”

“Umma! He is your son too!” his blood start to boil.

 

Not again. Not at the dining table again. Daehyun slowly reached for his earpiece on his right ear before gingerly put it on his palm. His eyes were not moving from his plate. His appetite had suddenly gone.

 

“I’m done.” Leo got up from his seat.

“Leo!! I’m talking to you!” she barked.

Baekhyun huffed. His eyes were trailing on Daehyun who sat at the opposite. He stabbed the meatball using his fork.

“Well done. You ruin our lunch again, Daehyun.” He glared to his younger brother.

 

Daehyun grabbed his earpiece tightly, eyes not moving. He heard nothing now. He just can feel the vibration of the wooden chairs scrapped the linoleum floor under his sensitive feet.

He looked up.

His mother glared darkly to him before strutting out from the dining room. The table was now empty leaving him and Taehyung who loyally sat besides him.

The younger boy tugged his sleeve forcing Daehyun to snap his eyes to the maknae. He pointed towards his ear asking Daehyun to put his earpiece.

“Hyung. It’s alright. You can still give Leo hyung a present right? Birthday should have presents!” Taehyung grinned. Daehyun smiled faintly and nodded.

“Psst..Hyung.” Taehyung tip toed from his seat.

“I will bring Leo’s birthday cake to you. A big piece one. We can share.” The maknae whispered and winked. Once again, the elder nodded. He chuckled. That maknae knew how to enlighten his mood.

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The bungalow had luxuriously been decorated with golden balloons and expensive decorations. The swimming pool was also decorated with balloons. Taehyung ran over the garden playing with some of his friends who came early to the party. Some of the guests had started flooding the compound.

Jessica Wu was waiting anxiously at the living room. Leo still had not come back from his office. He promised the mother that he would back early. But he still had not showed up. The clock almost to 8.00 pm which the party should start at the moment.

 

Daehyun was slowly pacing out in his locked room on the second floor. He eyed the crowd on the compound. His eyes glinted with sorrow. This would be his 17th years he wasn’t present for his hyung’s birthday. Leo had helped him so much. The elder would always sneakily goes inside Daehyun’s room to bring some of his favorite cheesecakes and even presents for him.

The eldest really loved his second little brother. Leo knew Daehyun was being abandoned from the Wus, especially his mother.

 

Ever since he was 2 years old, Jessica Wu never showed her interest to take care of Daehyun anymore after he became deaf because of the side effect of a high fever.

Daehyun had limp left foot after he involved with a car accident when he was 6.

His injury could recover but he was left unattended for months without receiving physioteraphy treatment. The poor boy had grown up into a fine young man despite his handicapped left foot and hearing impairment.

The only person that cares for Daehyun the most is only Leo besides Taehyung, the maknae. He was the one who brought Daehyun to some specialists and help him to hear the beautiful sounds again.

Leo bought Daehyun’s first earpiece when the younger was 9.

 

“Daehyun. You can hear me right?” that was the first voice he heard for the first time while Leo still using the sign language.

He nodded.

“Now. Say aaaaaaaa..”

“Aa? Aaaaaaaaa….” The second voice was his. He cried hearing his own voice. He looked up to Leo signing ‘thank you’ with his right hand. Leo just nodded and ruffled his hair.

“Now. I will teach how to pronounce your name. Say it after me. Dae..Hyun.”

 

“Da..yeon..” he tried his best to utter the word. It seemed difficult since it was his first time to talk on his own.

 

“No no no. Not Dayeon. Dae..Hyun.” Leo rounded his eyes expectantly.

“Dae..hyu..n. Dae..hyun. Daehyun.” The younger’s smile reached his ears.

“Yes! Daehyun!I’m so proud of you little brother!” Leo grabbed the younger's small frame and spun him into a bone crushing hug. “Thank goodness! You can hear and talk now!” A droplet slipped from the elder’s right eye.

Daehyun sobbed on Leo’s chest, feeling grateful to have his senses back. That day was the most memorable moment for Daehyun.

The thing he thankful the most was having a loving brother like Wu Taekwoon. He did not know how to repay Leo’s kindness.

He really hoped someday he can pay Leo back since his hyung means a world to him.

 

Daehyun placed a nicely wrapped present on his study table. His hand traced the birthday card envelope he slipped under the ribbon. He can’t wait for Leo’s birthday to be over so he can hand the present to him.

It was not that expensive gift, but he knew his hyung would love the gift. His head cocked to the window. The crowd was still there.

 

Jessica was impatiently waiting for Leo. Mr. Wu was at the compound greeting for the guests. Her phone that was on the table rang and vibrated.

 

“Hello?”

“Hello. Is this Mrs. Wu’s number?”

“Yes. I’m speaking.” She was irritated answering to the stranger.

“I would like to inform that your son, Wu Taekwoon is currently at Seoul Hospital. He was involved in an accident.” The female voice at the end of the line calmly informed the mother.

“What?!!” the phone almost slipped from her right hand. It seemed like the time has stopped.

 

The family rushed towards the emergency room. A doctor came out from the room. Jessica almost ran to the doctor. Her face was restless. Worrisome was all over her face.

 

“Doctor. Is my son okay?” she glanced over the closed glass door.

 

“Ma’am. I hope you can calm down. Your son’s current state is 50/50. We have to place him in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in a meantime.” The male doctor adjusted his white coat.

“Doctor, please. Please do anything to save him! We have money!” the mother yelled.

The doctor just shook his head. Mr. Wu neared the doctor.

“So, what you can do? Or else I’m taking my son to States.” His voice was calm, but it had the hint of worry on it.

 

“Mr. Wu, Mrs. Wu. It is not about money matters now. Your son’s coronary artery and a few parts of his heart are severely damage. We can only prolong his life by using machine until we can find a suitable donor as soon as possible for him. That’s all I can say for now.” The doctor excused himself and walked away.

Jessica plopped down on the bench while her hand covered . She wailed over her eldest son.

Baekhyun was soothing Jessica by embracing his mother. Taehyung was crying on Jessica’s left side despite being clueless with their current situation.

Mr.Wu left a long sigh. That night supposed to be a big celebration for Leo’s 25th birthday party.

It seemed the fate was not written that so.

 

 

Daehyun peeked over the living room from the stairs. The house looked empty. Maybe the party had over early.

He went down step by step heading to the kitchen. There was his family maid arranging the untouched nicely decorated chocolate cake on the dining table.

“Mrs. Kim? Is the party already over?” Daehyun hunched over the table.

 

“Young Master Daehyun?” the maid looked surprise by Daehyun’s presence.

 

“Well, why the cake is here? Where is everyone?” the boy frowned.

“Uhmm.. I guess you don’t know. The party got cancelled…Young master.”

“Hm?” Daehyun’s eyes flickered.

 

“I have to tell you this. Actually, Young Master Taekwoon had involved in an accident. The others went to hospital to visit him just now.” Mrs. Kim’s voice faltered as seeing Daehyun’s pale face.

 

“Young Master.” The maid reached his arm.

“Wh..Which..Which hospital Mrs. Kim?”

“…..Seoul Hospital.”

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

A bright light was coming to his way. Leo only sat on the grass ignoring it. He felt at ease sitting alone in a grassy field under a shady tree.

Sometimes, the breeze would dance over his hair and lightly smooch his soft skin.

The light seemed getting closer.

Slowly, the light formed into a blob. Leo was waiting it. If it was a ghost, he will just shoo it.

 

As it getting closer, it became a figure that Leo had known before.

 

 

“Daehyun?”

 

 

The 9 years old boy smiling to the elder showing his perfectly arranged teeth. He felt warm inside seeing his beloved little brother. The small kid handed out his small hand for Leo to reach.

 

“Where are we going Daehyun?”

“Home.”

“But, I don’t wanna go home just yet. I like to be here.” Leo mumbled.

“Home. Everyone is waiting.” The small voice chimed. His smile never left his pouty pink lips.

 

He gave up with his dongsaeng’s blinding smile. He got up and followed the small boy. Daehyun led the way and few airy giggles left his wide stretching lips. Leo chuckled.

 

Their walk felt like hours before they reached a gate.

 

Daehyun opened the gate a little.

 

“Go.” He beamed.

 

“Huh? We should go inside together Dae.” Leo frowned.

 

Daehyun shook his head. He pushed his hyung’s back to go inside.

 

“Hey!” the elder shouted.

 

 

The small boy waved his goodbye to Taekwoon. The elder was grown confused. He tried to reach for Daehyun’s tiny hands. Unfortunately, it felt like the distance between them was growing apart.

 

Close enough yet so far.

 

 

“Daehyun!!”

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

A man longingly gazed towards the sunset. He just woke up from a little nap. The dream had replayed on his mind for nth times since that day.

It had been three days he woke up from his 2 weeks of comatose.

The heart surgery was a success. He survived.

But, he still did not prepare to have a talk with his family. His parents and his siblings kept in and out from his room. But, the person he waited the most did not even pay him a visit once.

He grew annoyed and decided to give his piece of his mind later if the person knocking his door.

 

Tok! Tok! Tok!

Leo glanced to the door hoping for that particular person was coming to visit him.

 

The door slid open, revealing his mother on her blue dress.

Jessica strode into the room wearing a faint smile.

She was carrying a perfectly wrapped gift tied with silver ribbon. The mother took her seat beside Leo.

 

“Umma. Where is Daehyun?” he asked the same question for nth times to each of his family members. Jessica looked up.

“I bring you a gift. From Daehyun.” She smiled faintly.

 

Jessica placed the gift on his lap.

“What is this?” his fingers traced the ribbon.

 

“Leo.. I think, it’s time for you to know.” The mother tried to find his elder’s son eyes. Leo looked away.

 

“No matter what I’m going to tell you, I hope you can accept it Leo. Please.”

 

Leo frowned and trying to find the truth on his mother’s brown orbs. Why everyone does not answering his question about Daehyun’s whereabout?

 

“…..You went into the heart surgery a day after you admitted into ICU. There was a donor. That’s why the surgery can be carried out.”

 

“..Wh..at? Donor?” the first born squinted his eyes looking straight to his mother.

 

A tear slipped from Jessica’s eye. He grabbed Leo’s hand to give him strength.

 

“…Few hours before the surgery, your heart was in critical state. It was impossible to carry out the surgery by stitching half of the donor’s heart to yours since your heart had fully damaged.” More tears slipping from her eyes.

 

“What do you mean?” Leo pierced his gaze impatiently.

 

 

 

“It was..It was..Daehyun’s..” the mother sobbed.

 

 

 

The mother's voice rang in his ears. It felt like eternity for Leo to digest his mother’s words. What about Daehyun had to do with this? He couldn’t understand.

 

“Umma. Where is Daehyun?”

 

“Umma!” he got up from his bed.

“Please Leo, please…” Jessica gingerly hugged his son.

 

“Umma…Where is Daehyun?” his tears pooling and rained uncontrollably.

 

“Daehyun, where are you?” his heart ached.

 

“Daehyun-ah!!”

 

“I’m sorry Leo. I’m sorry... Daehyun had donored his heart to save your life..” the mother whispered into his ear.

 

 

“No..NO!!!” everything was aching him. Everything!

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

His fingers traced over the nicely framed photo. It was Daehyun and his selca, with Heundae beach as the background.

It was the last selca of Daehyun and him during last summer. The younger smiled widely showing his white pearlies. His eyes stretched into crescent moon. There was Leo with his stoic face, the one who took the selca.

 

His tears were still pooling. The salty droplets had countless time wet the neat writings on the birthday card on his lap.

 

Hyung,

I know when this card reaches you, it would be past midnight. Hehe~ I wish you best of luck in your life and hope Lady Luck would always following and favoring you, hyung.

I hope you can find a beautiful and kind wife. Hehehe~ Please get married soon neh? I can’t wait to play with my future nephew!

Hyung, thank you for all this time. I’m very grateful to have a great brother like you.

Thank you for showing me the beautiful sounds of the world.

Thank you for teaching me how to utter witty words.

Just.. thank you hyung.

I wish, someday I can repay you back. It’s a promise.

 

Taekwoon hyung, if you miss me later, remember, I’m always here in your heart.

 

P/s: I know my present is not that flashy, but I hope you like it. : )

 

Happy belated birthday, hyung.

 

Sincerely,                                                             

Daehyun

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

I’m sorry guys~~TT_________TT I was crying like whale while writing this one shot. Upvote and comments would be nice. Bye. T____T (pity over Daehyun)

Are you guys ready with November comeback line-ups? Huhuhuhu~~