Lifeline

Lifeline

After making sure everything was perfect, Sungrin finally went to get ready. She wore the dress that she wore on their first date.

"Will he remember this dress?" She asked as she looked at her reflection. "Eii, molla... It's not like it's important." She left the room and went to wait in the living room. That day was the 3rd anniversary since they started dating and also the 1st anniversary of their engagement. Because of his passion in designing, they agreed to push back their wedding until he had achieved his dream of owning his own boutique.

 -----

Leo went home after he's done designing a few clothes for the company's upcoming fashion show. His steps died when he saw the full dining table. He let out a sigh. Again, he forgot their anniversary. He scanned the apartment and saw Sungrin, sleeping on the sofa. He walked towards her and carefully caressed her cheek. Sungrin stirred in her sleep for a while before slowly opening her eyes. A smile immediately appeared on her face.

"When did you get home?" She asked him.

"Just now..." Leo her head. "Mianhae, Sungrin-ah... I-"

"Kwaenchana, I understand..." she said with a smile. She caressed his cheek. "You look so tired."

"Not as tired as you are. You've already prepared everything and even waited for me." Leo couldn't hide his guiltiness.

"Are you feeling sorry?" She asked. Leo nodded. Sungrin got up and pulled him to his feet. "If you are, go and wash up while I heat the food," she told him as she pushed him towards the bedroom. Leo smiled. Before Sungrin walked away, Leo pulled her into his arms. Sungrin buried her face in his chest and wrapped her arms around him.

"Komawo, Sungrin-ah... Thanks for staying by my side..." he thanked her whole-heartedly.

"Aniya, oppa... I'm even more thankful... You've done a lot for me..."

Leo kissed her forehead and looked straight into her eyes. "You won't leave me, right?"

Sungrin cupped his face with both of her hands. "Only death can take me away from you. I promise you that," she promised. Leo smiled.

"Komawo..." Leo kissed her forehead again before entering the room. With smile still plastered on her face, Sungrin went to the kitchen to heat the food.

 

When Sungrin was slicing the fruits, a pair of arms s around her waist. Leo pecked her cheek and rested his head on her shoulder. Sungrin softly knocked her head against his.

"Oppa, if you friends saw you like this, they'll make fun of you for the rest of your life, especially Ken."

Leo always appeared cold and ignorant when he's around people, except kids and animals. He rarely smiled and always maintained his poker face. His friends always made fun of him.

"Which is why I do these things when I'm with you," he stated. Sungrin chuckled.

"Aigoo, my future husband is so cute."

"Eii... I'm manly, not cute..."

"You won't believe how cute you are right now."

Leo let her go. "Aish... An kwiyeowo!" He left the kitchen and sat in the living room.

"Aigoo, look at this guy. How come you can furrow so easily?" She complained. To show his protest, Leo stayed silent. Sungrin continued to serve the food while holding back a smile. "Oppa, the food is ready."

Leo made his way to the dining table without a word. After putting the food in his plate, Sungrin went to their bedroom to take the gift she had prepared for Leo. She put the wrapped box in front of him.

"Happy anniversary, Jung Taekwoon," she wished. Leo's gaze softened. He opened the box and took out the gift. It was a phone case designed by Sungrin herself. She put their photo together and wrote 'Until death tear us apart' at the bottom of the case. She took out her phone and showed him the she made for her phone. "I know it's kind of cheesy and seems a bit overboard, but I want people to know we belong to each other," she told him. Leo pulled her towards him and hugged her waist tightly. He rested his head against her flat tummy, meanwhile Sungrin his hair.

"I love it, jagi. Komawo, and happy anniversary to you too. Saranghae," Leo softly said.

"I love you too." After a while, he finally let her go. She sat down on the chair next to him as he put on the phone case. Sungrin beamed. She also began to eat her food. Once in while, she glanced at Leo. When she noticed that he was smiling, she couldn't help from feeling happy.

"I didn't know you still have this dress," Leo suddenly said.

Sungrin's eyes widened. "You remember?"

"Geureom... It's my favourite dress." Leo looked at her. "Can you wear it to sleep?" He requested. Sungrin smiled and nodded.

----- 

The sunlight slowly woke Leo from his sleep. He rolled to his left to hug Sungrin, but when his arm landed on the cold bedsheet, his eyes snapped open.

"Sungrin-ah!" He called out. Silence. He got up and went to knock on the bathroom's door. "Sungrin-ah, are you in there?" When he received no answer, he swung the door open, only to find an empty bathroom. He slowly began to panic and began to search the whole apartment while yelling out her name, but Sungrin was nowhere to be found. He went back to their bedroom and opened the closet. Almost all of Sungrin's close were gone and her suitcase was missing. Leo let out a scream of fury and started thrashing the whole bedroom. The bedsheet was pulled out, the closet's door was smashed, the dresser was swept clean, he did anything he could think of. He finally slumped onto the bed and began to cry. He was, yet again, left by the person he loved the most.

*** 

Sungrin pushed her suitcase into the apartment while humming a random song. She left the suitcase in the living room and went to get herself a drink.

"Is Leo oppa still sleeping?" She asked to herself. She went to the bedroom to check on him. A gasp escaped her lips when she saw the overturned bedroom. "What the..." she carefully stepped on the floor to avoid the glass shreds from the smashed bedside lamp. She sat down on the bed, next to Leo who was sleeping in fetal position. Tear marks could clearly be seen on his cheeks.

Sungrin caressed his cheek. "Oppa, wake up..." she said softly. After a few tries, Leo finally opened his eyes. He bolted into sitting position when he saw her. "Oppa, kwaenchana? Why is the room like this?" She asked him. Leo grabbed her arms and pulled her into his arms. Sungrin panicked when he started to cry. "Oppa..."

"I couldn't find you anywhere... Your clothes are gone... I thought you've left me..."

She finally realized her mistake. She should have left a note, telling him where she went. Leo was still traumatized by his previous relationship. Without any obvious reasons, his first love left him without a note. Because of that, Leo had spent years fearing love. Until she met him.

It was difficult for Sungrin to get his attention in the beginning. Not even his friends could change his mind. When she confessed to him, he rejected her without a second thought. He began to feel afraid when he started to fall for her. He's afraid of being left again. One day, when he was leaving for work, he found Sungrin sitting next to his car with a small box rested on the floor next to her. She fell asleep while waiting for him to leave for work. When he woke her up, she quickly apologized to him and left the place hastily she forgot to bring the box with her. He checked the box to see if it was something valuable. When he saw the birthday cake with 'Happy Birthday, Jung Taekwoon' written on it, Leo realized that Sungrin was different than his first love. Later that day, he sent her a return gift. He got the info from Ravi that she loved chocolate, so he sent her some chocolate with his polaroid photo with the cake. At the bottom of the photo, he wrote the location and time for their first date. That was the turning point for both Leo and Sungrin.

Sungrin returned his hug. "Mianhae, oppa. I should've left a note for you. I went to my apartment to change my some of my winter clothes with spring clothes. Mianhae, oppa... cheongmal mianhae..."

"Kwaenchana, now that you're here. Please don't leave me, Sungrin-ah..."

"I won't, I'll never leave you. As long as I'm breathing, I will always be with you." She broke the hug and kissed his lips. Leo held her waist and hoisted her onto his lap, causing her to break the kiss. She gave him a look. "You know we won't be able to stop once we started," she reminded.

"I've never thought about stopping."

She cupped his face. "I can wait, oppa. I know you're still not ready because of what had happened to you. I don't want you to regret it later."

"After what have happened today, I know how much you mean to me. You're not just my fiancee, Sungrin. You are my lifeline." He took her hand and kissed it. "We'll start preparing for our wedding tomorrow. Let's not hold it back any longer," he said to her. Sungrin's eyes widened.

"Oppa..."

"Saranghae, Sungrin-ah. Even if I yelled my lungs out, those words can never describe how much I love you. Let's get married and start a new life. I want to make love with you endlessly and I want you to bear my children. I want to proudly show to people that you are my wife. I love you... I can say this a million times but it's still not enough to show you how much I love you," Leo said softly while caressing her face. Sungrin was speechless. Leo brushed her tears away with his thumbs. "I love you, Kim Sungrin. I love you so much."

Sungrin wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. "I love you too, oppa. I will always love you. Thank you..." she sobbed. Leo smiled in content and buried his face in the crook of her neck.