Best of the best of the best

Best

 

People started talking to each other after awhile but no one really talked to me so I sighed – louder than I thought it would be.

 

I should have brought my iPod with me…

 

I saw the guy beside me looked at me through my peripheral view. No. He actually glared at me. His problem? I have no idea. But I think I knew then and there that he isn’t someone I would probably get along with.

 

It made me feel vulnerable and alone.

 

After a few minutes, the door opened and a sea of adults – ranging from the young and the old – flooded in front of us. In the middle, a man, who we all love and respect, stood. We stood up and bowed, “Good morning, headmasterPark.”

 

He stepped forward, smiled at all of us while gesturing for us to sit, took in a deep breath and said, “Twenty-five people who dreamt of nurturing their God-given talents. Twenty-five people who dreamt of becoming the best. Twenty-five people who were chosen from the best.

 

It’s been a while since I’ve established Seoul School of Music. And despite having a name that sounded too aesthetically bad,” he said with a face that seemed to really disapprove of the name. I kinda don’t like the name, too, as it lacked the creativity a Music school is expected to have. But names are just names. This school is guaranteed quality.

 

He continued, “it has created an empire of amazing and talented musicians and composers that will forever be remembered in South Koreaand various parts of the world.

 

SSM has created a legacy. And this year, I’d like to tell every one of you, that you will be the start of a new legacy.

 

Every year, thousands of people from varying countries and even races send in their application to be part of the best. And within those thousands, only hundreds get admitted. You,” he paused and gestured to all of us students, “are part of those chosen few. The best.

 

Singing, dancing, playing an instrument, songwriting… Even Science and Math, were taken into consideration. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to happily announce that you are sitting amongst the best of the best. The twenty-five best of the best freshmen.”

 

My eyes widened at what he said and the room was filled with gasps.

 

“We have gathered all of you in one section to become heralds of other students in every aspect you choose. And of course, to stir competition.

 

Competition is said to bring out the best in a person. And that is what we want here… We want all of you to exert your best effort to become the best of the best of the best.

 

However, we are also aware that competition brings out the worst in a person. And this is why a competition is a healthy way of knowing which among you are truly the best of the best of the best.”

 

The way he said the word best feels like… He’s stuffing it inside my skull.

 

“Only a man of character can truly be the best and we are hoping that all of you are.

 

I hope none of you will fail us.” He paused and smiled in a very creepy way. I shivered.

 

The teachers at the back started clapping and the whole class followed. The headmaster bowed and started introducing the other teachers.

 

I don’t know. I don’t know how I should feel about being called as one of the best of the best. It seems like it’s such an overstatement for me.