Final

His Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

            ‘But, I only have one more year of high school left. Do we really have to move?’

            ‘Look, it ‘s a great opportunity and I can’t lose it. Our lives will get so much better if I accept this offer.’ My mom explained in a calm tone while I was screaming at her.

            ‘You only think at you. It’s the last year, my last year I said. I will not only lose my friends, but who knows what kind of professors are there.’

            ‘It can’t be that bad, you’ve been through this before.’

            ‘Exactly, I’ve been through it before and I am sick and tired to change schools and to lose friends because that’s what you and your boss want. And when I thought that we finally settled down... Can’t I just stay one year here and come to you after? I really can’t go right now, I can’t say goodbye to this place, at least not now.’ My mom listened to me silently, she didn’t try to counterattack, she just listened to what I had to say, but her look said it all, it will never be how I want it.

            So here I am, inside a plane that it’s headed to South Korea, one month after that fight. After all it’s her that won. She always wins and all I have left is to obey her. I won’t even have the chance to spend my last summer vacation with my friends. As soon as school was finished she packed everything and we left. She says that I have to learn at least the basics of korean. So as soon as we arrive in South Korea, I have to start korean classes. This is my ed up fate.

            I know I will miss my friends. “We have skype and facebook, we will talk to you every day”, they said. But how long can we communicate like that. And if I will make new friends I’ll eventually stop talking to them. That’s our reality and I can’t do anything to change it because I have to obey Her Highness (mom).

            I fell asleep at half the flight and only woke up when we were already landing. I could see the buildings clearly and as we got closer to land I hoped this would be a dream. I poked myself.

            ‘Ah!’ I winced at the sudden pain.

            ‘What’s wrong?’ Mom asked startled by me.

            ‘Nothing…’ I said rubbing my arm. It’s not a dream…

            We were outside the airport waiting for someone to pick us up. Apparently it is one of my mom’s colleagues. The road to our new apartment felt quite long, but I didn’t have time to get bored. My eyes were wandering from left to right. Everything was so different.

            ‘Are you ready to start your korean lessons?’ Mom’s colleague woke me up from my trance.

            ‘Uh… yeah, I believe. I don’t really have a choice here.’

            ‘It’s not that hard. Your mom says you are smart. I am sure you will do alright.’

            ‘If mom says so… but I don’t know if 3 months will be enough.’

            The silence from earlier settled down again. I kept watching out the windows and my mom and her colleague talked from time to time about work. You could hear some music in the background. I liked some of the songs, but one caught my attention more than others.

            ‘Do you happen to know the name of this song?’ I asked my mom’s colleague.

            ‘I believe it is DAY6’s Congratulations, I’m not sure though.’

            ‘Thanks. I’ll search for it.’ She got it right. I wanted to listen to their whole album, but as I was downloading it we got to our apartment. So it had to wait a little bit more.

            ‘Are you sure you don’t need my help with your luggage?’ My mother’s new colleague asked while closing the trunk of her car.

            ‘We will be okay.’ Mom said. ‘We have an elevator after all.’ She smiled and took a suitcase. ‘See you tomorrow.’

            ‘Sure. Have a good night.’

            ‘Thank you. You too.’ Mom took another suitcase ‘Let’s go.’ She said looking at me.

            The elevator was full of our suitcases… I still wonder how we had the money to take all these with an airplane. The doors opened at the 5th floor and as we were trying to get our entire luggage out of the elevator someone approached us.

            ‘Do you need help with those?’ I was busy with a suitcase so I didn’t pay attention to whoever that was.

            ‘Well, if you don’t mind.’ Mom answered.

            ‘Here, let me take that.’ He took one of the suitcases my mom was carrying.

‘You can give that to me too.’ This time he took one of my suitcases. I finally lifted my head and saw a guy about my age, maybe a few years older, smiling at me while taking the suitcase from me. ‘T-thank you.’ I mumbled surprised. I must say, he looked good, he was tall, and his smile was mesmerizing. He also gave off a familiar vibe, but I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter