Good Luck Jinki

Good Luck Jinki

When it comes to love, Onew always believed that luck played the most important role in experiencing love. He believed that to be able to fall in love and to be able to receive someone’s love was the result of a simple thing called luck. After all, how many people actually had the fortune to meet someone who loved you back right from the very beginning? Or for that matter, how many were even lucky enough to find “the one”? It was luck that determined if you would get the person you love because Onew believed that the effort a person puts in courtship can only do so much. And it didn’t end there. If you had the luck to find love, you must also have the luck to be able to maintain it and live happily ever after. So Onew assumed that a person happily in love had to be lucky. The thing is, he was in love… he was in a relationship with the person he loved who actually loved him back… but Onew still didn’t know if he was lucky.

In all honesty, even though he knew it was bad for him to think this way, Onew would consider himself unlucky. His luck ran out too fast because he was the first to be caught by the management since he wasn’t one who could hide his emotions well. He was new to fame (which the Juliette era brought) and had not mastered the skill to keep his true emotions in check. Onew had made his feelings too obvious during the recording of Flower Boy Generation when he got affected by the hosts’ efforts to pair his own member up with the girl he had feelings for. Eventually, he was unfortunately summoned for a meeting with the higher-ups and warned (actually more like reminded since it was a clear rule right from the start) not to fall in love with his label mate. Yet, it came too late because what the company didn’t know was that Onew had already fallen in love. What’s worse (for the company) was that the leader of SHINee had already successfully gotten the girl of his dreams.

There was no doubt he was lucky when Jessica (yes, the Jessica Jung of SNSD) had accepted his feelings after a clumsy confession that went something like this.

“Could your feelings perhaps be the same as mine?” Onew sighed as he read the lyrics to the duet “One Year Later” that he was about to record, waiting for the producer to call him in.

“How ironic, I would love to ask Sica this… I should be singing this line instead.” He muttered out loud since he was alone in the recording studio… or so he thought.

“You… have feelings for me?” The voice of the girl he harboured feelings for ever since he was mesmerized by her smile entered his mind.

Onew instantly looked up with shock written all over his face. Jessica wasn’t supposed to be here, he was informed that they were recording this separately so why was Jessica in the same recording studio as him now? Onew quickly stood up from the couch, dropping his lyrics sheet on the floor and flailing his hands in the air in a state of panic.

“No! I mean, yes! No, that’s not it. Because yes, I do like you but oh crap, what I mean to say is, I… You know… We…”

Jinki could only thank god that he stopped blabbering when Jessica placed a finger on his lips and smiled the same smile he fell in love with.

“I like you too.”

And the last thing Onew registered in his mind before he was dragged into the recording studio was Jessica’s soft but certain “Yes” when he asked if she was now his girlfriend. 

One clumsy confession and two years later, Onew could still proudly (although not so publicly) call Jessica his girlfriend. He knew he was lucky to have her, but he couldn’t help but feel unlucky that he was with her in such circumstances. Circumstances that meant he had to condone all the news about Jessica, her popularity with boys and her rumoured relationships especially the one with Taecyeon. That was the one thing that bothered him the most. He knew Jessica was only good friends with Taecyeon, Jessica herself had the right to hang out with her own friends, but Onew really wasn’t happy one bit as much as he knew Jessica was true to him. All this on top of having different schedules and being apart from each other, it was not hard to understand why Onew felt like he was down on his luck. Perhaps all his luck had run out once he and Jessica found out they both had mutual feelings for each other… maybe things were indeed too good to be true.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?”

Onew, who had been staring into the dark of the hotel room, came back to reality and whipped his head to the right where the sleepy voice came from. There, the object of his thoughts (and affection) blinked expectantly at him.

“Sorry, did I wake you?” Onew moved to lie on his side and reached his hand out, brushing Jessica’s long fringe away so that he could see her face clearly. At times like this, Jinki was thankful he and Jessica were both under SM and that he was the leader of SHINee (in other words, he had a room to himself and Jessica could sleep over whenever they had SM Town tours together).

“With your loud thoughts?” Jessica giggled as a guilty expression appeared on Onew’s face because he was indeed caught red-handed. “Of course not Jinki, I woke up because I couldn’t feel you hugging me…” 

Onew was about to apologise but Jessica didn’t want to hear anything of it. And so, she spoke before Onew could say sorry.

“So… do you want to talk about it or should I just leave you alone and pretend to sleep?” Jessica asked, but her tone made it obvious that she would rather Onew talk to her.

“Sica…” Onew began. “Tell me honestly... where do you think our relationship is going?”

Jessica widened her eyes as her body tensed up. It wasn’t the question that Onew asked which startled her; it was the seriousness in the tone of his voice that alarmed her. He sounded so pessimistic that Jessica almost felt like he was about to initiate a break up with her.

“Is there something wrong, Jinki? Are you… unhappy? Being with me?”

“No! Of course not, I’m happy Sica! Beyond happy and so thankful that you like-“

“Like?” Jessica sat up on the bed and stared down at Onew. “Like?!”

Jessica was seething with anger, reaching out to clench Onew’s shirt in her fists and then pulling him upwards with all the strength she could muster. “Lee Jinki! I’ve been with you for two years and counting and you think that liking you is enough to make me stay with you?”

“Sica, i-“

“Shut up!” Jessica raised her voice. “You should know exactly how I feel about you, and it shouldn't be a question at all where our relationship is heading to! How could you… how could you...”

Jessica couldn’t speak no more as her anger threatened to overwhelm her. Onew was in an absolute state of panic, he had seen Jessica pissed off before but he had never been in the position of being the one who made her furious.  Not knowing what else he could do, he pulled Jessica into his arms and held her tight, kissing the crown of her head.

“Sica, calm down. please. I’m an idiot. I’m sorry, so sorry, I didn’t mean for our conversation to turn out this way. It’s just that with all the rumours about you and Taecyeon going around, I can’t help but wonder if you would perhaps be happier with someone else. You deserve so much more...”

“I dare you to repeat that.” Jessica punched Onew on his chest and boy did she not hold back one bit. Not expecting Jessica to throw a punch at him, Onew fell back onto the bed looking more dazed than ever. He was too shaken by the fact that his girlfriend had just literally punched him. This was Jessica Jung for you, she appeared cold, mean and nonchalant, and she was never one who showed her emotions so readily, never one to cry. She looked like the average girl next door but was actually nothing like it. After all, Jessica Jung was the ice princess.

“Did you just…”

Before Onew could finish speaking, Jessica burst out in a fit of laughter and fell on top of her bemused boyfriend.

“Jin- Jinki… you’re too adorable!” Jessica squealed and gave him a resounding kiss right on his lips.

Onew could only blink while Jessica looked at him with those dazzling eyes of hers, moving to straddle him instead.

“Hey, always remember Jinki, you’re the only one that can melt the ice princess. Don’t ever, and I mean ever, think you’re replaceable in my life, you hear me?” Jessica held Onew’s face in her hands and as a light punishment, squeezed his cheeks at the end.  

“Sica…” Onew’s hands found his way to Jessica’s waist.

“Mmhmm?” With her hands placed on Onew’s chest, Jessica tilted her head to the side adorably and waited for her boyfriend to speak.

Onew forced a stern look on his face. “Don’t ever, and I mean ever, punch me that hard no matter how stupid I get ok?”

He then avoided eye contact and mumbled to himself in a voice so low that Jessica almost couldn’t make out what he was saying. “Because it kinda hurts… both physically and my ego.”

Jessica giggled. “Hey! To be able to be punched by me is an honour. In fact, it should boost your ego! Do you know how many Sones would kill for that to happen?”

“But I’m different, I’m your boyfriend!” Onew squeezed Jessica’s waist.

“True…” Jessica nodded. “And because you’re my boyfriend, you’re the only one who’s entitled to this...”

With that, Jessica showed Onew his entitlement the good old fashion way. That is to make everything better by pressing her lips to his in gentle kiss that made Onew’s lips naturally curl up into a smile. And well, that basically answered Onew’s question, didn’t it? He was definitely, without a doubt, a 100 million percent, lucky in love.

 

(The next morning, Jessica stared at herself in the mirror and then stared at her boyfriend who had just came out of the bathroom. "Really Jinki really? We have a concert coming up tonight and you just had to leave a noticeable hickey on my collar bone! What if i can't hide it?"

"Get the coordi noona to give you some high collared clothes, that'll do the trick!" Jinki pulled on a clean shirt as he got ready to meet s at the hotel lobby.

"You did it on purpose, didn't you?" Jessica narrowed her eyes at a happy Onew.

And all it took was a y smirk on Onew's face to dazzle the ice princess into silence.)