Reborn

The hidden town

 

Fairy? Vampire? Werewolf? Beast or whatever they called that, I never believe in those nonsense myth or fairytale before. This is 21st century for God sake. There’s no such a fairytale in this world..But one day, those mindsets totally change when I witness something weird or better I called eerie old town behind my house.

The place where I never know and I never visit. The thing that I know is my house is located somewhere far away from others and it’s far from the town. If I need something, I must go to the town and it takes me 1 hour to reach there by bus.

Okay, back to the story when I found out about an eerie old town behind my house, I can’t sleep the whole night. Insomniac? That’s the right thing to called me right now. It’s drive me insane just thinking about that. But that memories will surely be precious. It’s all start when..

 

Flashback

‘’Yah, Yeri ah let’s go to Taehyung’s house tonight. We plan to throw a small party for Taehyung. You know his birthday is today and all the students in our class will be invited.’’ Yuju exclaimed while grins secretly.

 

Yuju is my bestfriend ever since I move in this city, Gyeonggi-do. Since I am a Seoul girl, I have no idea about the road in here nor the way to the school. Yuju taught me everything about the road and some of the area in Gyeonggi-do. That’s how I become a friend with her.

 

‘’I really want to go but you know my house is really far away from yours. I’m scared that I might arrived late or I don’t want to miss the last bus. Plus, there’s no one lived in my area except me.’’ I said, sound terrible as I remember about my new house at the rare area. Mom gots me that house because the cost is cheapest. We have a financial problem so they send me to live here for a few months until everything become normal again. Let’s forget about that.

 

Taehyung? Yes, Taehyung. One of the handsome guy in my class. I fell in love with him once I registered in this school. Even he never talks to me or looks at me, I still have a feeling toward him. I wish one day, he will notice my presence.

 

‘’It’s okay, I will accompany you home. Make sure you wear a cute dress tonight. Just come to his house in a time okay?’’ Yuju smile, making me smile as well. Finally, I can enjoy the party without worry about coming home. As I know, Yuju will not letting me go home alone because she knows how creepy and noiseless at my area.

 

The whole class suddenly become quiet as the homeroom teacher arrived at our class and he quickly start teaching about a new topic. My mind start to wander around, thinking about what to wear tonight, should I have a small conversation with Taehyung? Ahh, I’m so happy just the thought of hanging out with Taehyung tonight. I almost scream in happiness when suddenly the homeroom teacher turns around, facing all the students in a serious face.

 

‘’I’m going to tell you something but don’t freak out.’’ He said sounding serious and I know he’s not joking this time. Our homeroom teacher is a funny person that has a big tummy and playful face. He always joke around or sometimes he will plays prank on us.

 

All of the students stop doing their things when they sense something wrong when the homeroom teacher’s face become staid.

 

‘’Don’t leave your house before 8p.m if you don’t want to be in trouble.’’ He said again but now his eyes fix on me, his lips slowly creep upwards.

‘’Another joke right?’’ Yuju said out loud while cross her arm on her chest. The homeroom teacher then run out from the class and we can hear his laughter behind the door. Joke? It could be another joke right? But why did his eyes on me?

‘’See, I told you.’’ Another student said while others just agree with that statement.

 

I can’t take off my eyes from the door where the homeroom teacher just leave earlier. I don’t know why but his words keep replay on my mind.

 

‘’Yah Yeri, still daydreaming?’’ Yuju’s voice make me startled on my place as I quickly turn to her, receiving a giggle from her.

‘’No. Just thinking about- Nothing.’’ I smile, I know if I tell Yuju, she must be laughing at me. Nobody take a serious on what just happened earlier. They seem like they in their own world.

 

-

 

I look at my wristwatch and the short needle stop at 8p.m. I don’t want to be late at Taehyung’s birthday party but for this 30 minutes, I can’t see any bus that pass by this area. If I’m start walking from now, I’ll probably reach there when the party already end. How silly of me.

 

‘’8.20 p.m.’’ I become more nervous as I keep looking around, trying to find a transportation that headed to the town. The dark night takes over me as the sound of howling can be heard. I look to the sky, seeing a pale full moon visible behind a patch of clouds.

 

‘’Looks like I can’t enjoy the party.’’ I walk back down the path to my house. This is unfair. I should be at the party by now. But look at the reality, I am walking straight to my house.

 

The walks become faster than usual when my mind start working out, making me remember back about the homeroom teacher’s words this morning.

 

‘’Don’t leave your house before 8p.m if you don’t want to be in trouble.’’

 

That sentence somehow make my palm break into a cold sweat. I stop my pace when I sense someone watching me from distance. I gulp my saliva slowly and I can feel a strong wind hit me making my hair fly from my shoulder. This wind. Its feel like someone just go through beside me.

I look back at my wristwatch and something shock me even more. The needle in the watch move rapidly as someone had control it. Without thinking a moment, I run away as fast as I can, heading to my house.

 

‘’Come on, come on.’’ I search through my bag, looking for a key. I don’t know what’s I’m afraid of. It’s not like I’m being chased by someone but I feel the urge to run away.

 

As the key already in my grip, I quickly open the front door and enter my house without looking at the back. The thing that I don’t know is a figure of someone watching me from a distance now become closer.

 

‘’Why did I become so afraid? I never act this way before.’’ I said to myself as I take a sit on the couch. The night was freezing cold, and the full moon was shining through the window.

 

10p.m

 

I fell asleep on the couch from running through the night. The night was so quiet until a drop of water from the sink splashed, making a ‘tut’ sound. I wake up by the sound of water and rub my eyes steadily.

 

‘’What was that?’’ My eyes grew bigger when I heard a noise behind my house. The noise that unpredictable. The sleepiness in me suddenly fade and the curious feeling wrap around me.

 

I walk slowly to the kitchen that connected to the backyard while grab a torchlight from the cabinet with me. I switch off the kitchen’s light to make sure that I’m in a safe mode. Looking outside the window, I saw an old town..wait, I saw an old creepy town with a strange dweller.

 

‘’A town? Seriously? This area..only my house in this area.’’ I said to myself. I keep looking outside when suddenly I feel a pair of eyes on me.

 

*knock knock

 

A sudden sound in the doorway startled me. I look at the doorway and it seems like the front door is a miles away from me and to make the thing worst is the hallway totally dark. The only thing that I could see is a front door since the door was coloured by white paint. I wonder who are the person that come to my house at this time. It’s already midnight.

 

‘’Yuju? Is that you?’’ I scream out loud from the kitchen, hoping whoever person outside my house hear my loud voice and respond to my words.

 

Silent..

 

I try to ignore the knocking sound so I can focus back on the unfamiliar town but the sound of someone knocked the door become stronger. Gulping my saliva while praying in my heart, I strenghten my mind to walk at the front door. Throwing away all the negative thoughts, I barely make myself on the half way.

After take 10 minutes to think about positive things, I found out that I’ve already stand at the front door, shaking as much as I could. Grabbing the door knob at a slow pace, I turn to the right and letting the door hang open.

No one outside the door.

 

‘’Yah, don’t play around.’’ I said with my shaking voice when I saw no one in front of me.

 

After take a last look, I quickly get back into the house and lock the door. When I about to go back to the kitchen, a knocking sound suddenly echoing through the hallway. I turn back to the doorway and quickly open the door, thinking that I can caught who’s the person that play a prank with me.

 

‘’Yahh..It’s not funn-

 

My mouth agape when I saw an unfamiliar figure in front of me. A guy. A handsome guy actually. I almost fall for that looks but then I come to my sense. Our eyes met for the first time but it’s feel like I had look in that eyes before.

 

‘’Who are you?’’ I said, sounding so polite to this peculiar guy.

 

...

 

Silent fill the night air. He didn’t said anything instead he just stare straight at my direction. Did he looks at me? I feel shy all of sudden. Why not? A handsome guy that you don’t even know him just staring at you. But then I realized how his eyes move to my direction to the kitchen window. I follow his gaze and to my horror, he was looking at the unfamiliar town behind my house.

 

Don’t tell me this guy is-

 

He suddenly cuts of what’s my mind trying to tell me by grabbing my wrist hardly. His hand..It’s feel so cold. Did he sick?

Seems like he knows what I try to figure out right now. He points his forefinger behind me and smile sweetly.

 

‘’Let’s go there.’’ He said, holding my hand in his. Once again, I almost melt by hearing his voice but then I come to my sense. This is not right. I can’t go anywhere at this rate.

‘’Go where?’’ I ask him like a fool when I know what’s his talking about.

‘’There.’’ As he said that words suddenly the hard winds gather around me. Making my eyes closed due to the furious wind.

 

I feel like my body being taken somewhere else as my leg didn’t touch the ground. It’s creep me out but I feel secured. After about a minutes had passed, I can feel the ground under me again. The atmosphere here is totally strange from me. I heard a weird voice. I smell a different air. And the important thing is I stand on the other world.

Opening my eyes, I feel fascinated by the things around me. It’s feel different. Totally different. I look at my back and I saw my house. It’s seems that my house is a miles away from me. It’s really freak me out. I turn to my side and find out that the guy that invited me to this old town is still beside me, holding my hand tightly on his.

 

‘’Wait, where are you going to take me this time?’’ I said in a serious tone. Trying to brave up myself.

‘’To my place.’’ He smirks and being the fool me, I almost melt. But wait? Did he just smirks? This guy is driving me crazy.

‘Wait..Waitt..Can I know your name? You know it’s a bit rude when you suddenly take me here and I don’t even know who you are.’’ I said, try to deceive him. This is the only way to back home. As soon as he tells his name, I will escape from this old creepy town. My mission is run toward my house as fast as I can. Wait.. No, no. If as fast as I can, I won’t be able to make it in time. I need to run like a crazy person.

 

‘’Zelo.’’ His only words.

‘’Zelo?’’ I ask him back. I never heard of that name before.

‘’That what they called me.’’ He said, point to others people around the town.

‘’They?’’ I said, the negative thoughts gather back around me. They? What ‘they’ actually?

 

Zelo looks at me, his eyes never left me even a second. I feel a bit uncomfortable under his gaze when I know he’s not a normal person. I mean, he’s not living in our world but he’s stayed at a different world. I don’t know whether he is an angel, devil or a beast.

 

‘’Can I ask you something?’’ Without looking at him, I brave up myself to ask him a question. He hummed, letting me know that I can do so. My eyes wander around, trying to think a suitable words before said anything to him but then I saw something. A pair of red eyes looking straightly at my direction.

 

What is that? A beast?

 

Wait, how could I forget about my plan earlier. Without thinking twice, I run away from Zelo’s side like a fool and sprint my leg out toward my house. This is wrong. I’m supposed to be in Taehyung’s birthday party right now not in this freaking town.

Zelo’s eyes turns to a sad one when he saw how scared Yeri are.

 

As I reach my house, I quickly open the door and locked the door before I run to my room. This is crazy. I never dreamed to be in that freaking town before.

 

‘’Dream?’’ I sit on the edge of the bed and trying to think hard. Dream..Dream..Yesss..I’m dreaming right now. This is not real. This is only a dream. Only dream. Yes. In the actual world, there’s nothing behind my house. There’s no such a town behind my house. But in this dream, anything can happen.

 

‘’Let’s sleep and pray everything will be fine after I wake up.’’ I smile to myself and lay on the bed. My eyelid become heavy as soon as I put my head on the pillow.

 

2.30 a.m

 

I wake up to the sound of thunder. It’s rain heavily outside. Reminisce about the town behind my house, I quickly stroll to the kitchen to see whether it’s only a nightmare or not.

 

‘’It’s too dark outside. The thick fog behind my house make it worst. I can’t see anything.’’ I let out a heavy sigh. Should I go out to investigate or not? Reaching an umbrella beside the door, I saunter to the backyard and I can’t believe my eyes. That town. It’s already disappear. The rain finally stops after a while.

‘’It’s just a dream.’’ I sigh. Somehow I feel sad thinking it’s just a dream. I’m not supposed to be sad, I should feel relieved. But I ended up feeling pretty miserable.

 

The night skies were somber and starless. Turning back to my house, I saw someone in front of my front door. It can’t be him right?

He stare at my direction and in a second, I find him standing in front of me.

 

‘’Are you afraid of me?’’ He said. Speechless by his question, I just stay still. Of course I’m afraid of him and everything just happened in one day.

‘’I know. I’m sorry that I had frightened you with a sudden town behind your house. I’ve been watching you all this time.’’ He confess.

‘’Watching me all this time? Why?’’ I said. It’s him all this time.

‘’Since I’m from the other world, we can’t even talk because I know you’ll be afraid but I wanna get closer to you.’’ He said but this time he stands behind me. I can feel his hot breath against my bare neck. My heart beat faster and I don’t know what’s this feeling refers to.

‘’Now I’ll gather the courage to confess to you. Even I know you will rejected me because of my unnatural existence, right?’’ He said. His voice sounds sorrowful to me. I don’t know what should I said right now in this unplanned situation.

 

Hearing nothing from me, Zelo let out a sigh.

 

‘’I will go now. I love you, Yeri ah.’’ My heartbeat quickened as Zelo’s sweet words echoing through my ear. I feel sad all of sudden.

‘’Even if you don’t say you love me, I can feel it.’’ He said, turning my body facing him. A warm smile lifted the corners of his mouth and his eyes fix on mine.

‘’I’ll come back so please wait for me.’’ With only that words, I feel a strong wind push me a bit, making my eyes closed.

 

Opening my eyes back, I saw no one in front of me. It’s feel like a dream. I walk back to my house and sit on the couch. Zelo’d disappear after that. The old town also vanished. But still, I can feel a pair of eyes on me.

 

-

 

‘’Yah, why don’t you come to the party. You missed a lot of interesting part.’’ Yuju said as soon as she saw my shadow.

‘’The bus didn’t come.’’ I said, but I didn’t feel that bad for not attending Taehyung’s party.

‘’You wanna heard something unimaginable?’’ When I’m about to tell Yuju the incident last night, the homeroom teacher make his appearance. Yuju gestures to me, saying tell-me-after-the-class-end. I nod my head while taking out the book from my bag but stop my movement when I heard the homeroom teacher’s voice.

‘’We have a new student in our class. Applause!’’ He said happily.

 

I lift my head to look at the front and to my suprised I saw him.

 

‘’Annyeong, I’m Choi Junhong or you can called me Zelo.’’ He looks at my direction and flashed a warmth smile.