...

Treasures

T

 

The gem in his palm glinted in the dim light from the flickering fire. It’s green color distorted slightly as he admired it by lifting it up slightly to hold between a couple fingers. “So pretty.” He breathed as he laid it down on the cloth on his thigh before wrapping it up and placing it in the chest at his feet. His nimble fingers found the next gem even before his head turned to look at the crate full of beautiful jewels from their raid earlier in the night. When knuckles raked against his thick oak door he sighed as his first mate called from the other side. He placed the unpolished gem back into the crate before stepping over to the door and pulling it open with a raised eyebrow. Minho smiled at him through his messy bangs, “Hiya there Capt’.”

 

“You knock, you come in, and tell me what you want,” He stated as he pulled the man through the doorframe and kicked the door closed. “You don’t knock, call for me, and wait for me to get up. Next time you do I’ll open it completely save my boots.”

 

The other man just belly flopped on the huge bed up against the wall, and after turning over and sprawling his long limbs over the plush surface he snorted. “You’ve walked around here with a sock on your Capt’. I don’t think you have much to intimidate me with.”

 

Kibum grumbled as he went back to sit by the fire and polish his jewels. “Nothing to intimidate me with he says. Well humbumbah.”

 

Minho snorted, his leg kicking the pillow off the bed. “We are out of range of Jokwon’s boats.”

 

“Great!” The man’s face really didn’t reflect his tone of good spirits. He looked up with a raised eyebrow, “I had enough of a fight to take the itch out of my bones getting out of that cave.”

 

His first mate grimaced. “I knew it was too good to be true finding that opening.”

 

Kibum sighed before placing the jewel back into the unpolished crate. His mind wasn’t on the treasure he manage to succeed in taking. His joints cracked as he stood, slipping off his leather jacket and hanging it on the hook on the wall. After a moment getting lost in the flames his eyes flicked over to Minho. “Jonghyun is okay isn’t he? And Woohyun?”

 

There was a warm smile on the man’s face as he sat up and swung his legs against the end of the bed. “Both are sleeping warmly in their beds. Both are fine. Jonghyun won’t be able to fight for a couple weeks but he’ll live.”

 

Kibum smirked. “Unfortunately.”

 

“Captain.. I think you should sleep.” Kibum shook his head making Minho frown. “You had a rough night and you should sleep. We have Navigation in a couple hours.”

 

The man’s eyes had gone back to look at the fire, his eyes glazing over as his hand came up to move the rough blue gem tied with a rope around his neck. “Minho do you ever think we chose the wrong path?”

 

“What? Stealing this ship or becoming pirates?”

 

A soft chuckle rumbled in the slightly older man’s throat. “Don’t they kind of go hand in hand?”

 

“Kibum do you have a point?”

 

Ring covered fingers pushed through the man’s damp, matted hair, “Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I stayed at that brothel.”

 

Anger flashed over Minho’s features as his fingers curled in the comforter. “You’d be dead. The crown would have had your head.”

 

There was a glint in the Captain’s eyes as he said, “Isn’t that better than being on the run my entire life?”

 

“Bummie…”

 

Kibum flashed a smile. “Get going. I’m going to go up and watch the stars for a little bit. Think ya know?”

 

The man was gone before Minho could stop him.

 

                            ----

 

He glanced down the stairs leading further into the ship for a moment debating if he should go visit his injured men. He decided that they needed their rest more than they needed improved moral, so he continued on to cut through the navigation room and out onto the quarterdeck.

 

The moon was full above him as he stepped through the thick wooden door. It thunked softly as he pushed it close. The sky was clear above him, not a cloud in sight, and he smiled. He needed the calming effect of the waves crashing against the hull of the ship, and the soft breeze against his face. He thought about sitting up at the front of the ship, but decided he needed a more closer look at the dark waters beneath the ship. He glanced up at Junmyeon standing up on the poop deck, hands gripping the wheel and eyes scanning the water. Seeing his captain he smiled and bowed his head. Kibum flashed a smile before climbing down to the main deck. Usually there were people on watch, but given the raid a couple hours before their positions were suspended for a good nights rest.

 

He leaned on his elbows on the edge of the ship and sighed. With his eyes closed a smile his lips as his hair whipped against his face with the wind. For a moment he regretted not asking Jonghyun to cut his hair shorter before the raid, but then he figured he kind of liked it. Though bathing would be an adventure if he kept going down the road he was going.

 

He saw the glint of something shiny a moment before something pulled at his necklace, causing him to almost fall into the water as the rope snapped in two. The only thing he saw when he caught his wits was the end of a fin, and the water splashing as whatever it was sunk deeper into the dark depths.

 

What he thought he saw made him rub his eyes with a knuckle. No that wasn’t a man smiling up at him tapping his necklace against his teeth, but when he opened his eyes again sure enough there was somebody in the water. It wasn’t a man though at further inspection. The creature was wading in the water by the small movements of his long tail. The moon in all it’s glow didn’t really give much illumination to the thief in the water. “Yah that’s mine!”

 

The creature cocked his head to the side before looking back at the necklace. He pointed to it curiously as he looked up at the pirate. “Yes that you thing! Give it back.”

 

Whatever it was blinked up at him before flashing a smile and turning around to dive into the water. It was as the strong tail flicked him into the water that Kibum realized what the creature was.

 

He was a mermaid.

 

or Merman.. he didn’t like to label.

 

                            ----

 

“MINHO!” Said man sputtered as he launched himself off the side of the bed in fright. The comforter was wrapped around his bare legs, hands up rubbing his eyes, and a groan falling from his lips. Kibum wasn’t sure if it was from the fall, or being woken up at all, but honestly he didn’t care. A mythical creature just stole his damn necklace. “Get the hell up! You gotta help me.”

 

The ship’s first mate squinted at him. “If you need help throwing yourself off main mast crows nest then I’ll gladly help you. Otherwise I’m going back to bed.” He turned his head to pull the pillow that was half hanging off the bed and curled up to it. He seemed peacefully going to sleep when his pillow was pulled from his grasp. He growled before sitting up and glaring at his best friend. “You better have a very good ing explanation.”

 

“I need to find a merman.”

 

“Yep I’m going back to bed.”

 

“Minho! Please,” Kibum’s voice softened as he ran his fingers through his hair. “They took my mom’s necklace.”

 

That got Minho’s attention, his big eyes finding the bare space on the man’s chest where it usually was, and slowly standing up as he realized. “Oh… a merman stole your necklace?”

 

“Yes and he was headed southeast.”

 

Minho rubbed a hand over his face before sighing. “I’m not getting sleep tonight am I?”

 

Kibum smirked at him, “First round at the first tavern we go to is on me.”

 

The other man grunted as he pulled on his pants and worked on his boots. “Make it 4.”

 

“2.”

 

As he placed his glasses on his nose and moved his hands on his hips Minho said, “3.”

 

“Deal.”

                            ----

“Taemin!” The merman looked around for his friend to no success. His bottom lip jutted out. He had very important news to tell the younger one, so where in the deep blue was he. “Taeminnie! I got a shiny thing!”

 

The soft jingle of metal reaching his ears made him look up and there was Taemin smiling at him as he squeezed through the very tiny hole at the top of their cave. “Good because I did too.”

 

“Shiny things?!” Jinki’s tail was swishing against the huge rock he was sitting on. It was a tell tale sign the merman was excited. He grabbed his long hair that was swirling around him and twisted it tight to lay over his right shoulder. It still floated up, but it was much more manageable. “Gimme gimme.”

 

The bag they had made out of a sunken ship’s ripped sail was gently tossed to him, drifting through the water to land in his lap, and he happily opened it to see what pretty treasures Taemin had found on his adventures that night. There was a small golden box in the bottom of the bag that caught his attention the most. After pulling it up out of the bag he looked over at Taemin with a wide smile. The younger merman just fondly looked at him, “I thought you’d like it.”

 

Jinki was like a child as he set the bag to the side of him and brought the box up for closer inspection. “It’s so pretty.”

 

“Open it.”

 

“It opens?!” After fiddling with the clasp his eyes widened, “ Oh my jellyfish. It does.”

 

Sitting in the bottom of the plush inner box was a ring. Jinki couldn’t believe it. The gem was a pretty red, the metal around it intricate and golden as it wound itself around the ruby. Taemin’s soft voice fluttered over to him, just loud enough to be heard over the gentle swish of their tails in the water. “Since we lost the other in that race down at shark’s cove, I figured you’d enjoy this.”

 

“It’s for me?” Taemin nodded, his purple tipped hair swirling around his head as he did. Jinki squealed before sliding it on his finger. The other was just happy he caused that happiness. “I gotta show this off!”

 

Jinki was swimming up in attempt to leave out of the top, only to get stuck by his hips. Taemin giggled as the other frantically tried to force himself through, but there was no way his tail was fitting through there. They both knew only the younger could fit, but that just made him laugh harder when Jinki gave up and went limp through the hole. “Stop laughing and pull! I’m stuck.” Came the other’s distant voice.

 

Taemin snorted before going to wrap his arms around the other’s thick tail, “You always get stuck. Stop eating so many seaweed wraps!”

 

When the fin of the other’s tail smacked against his face Taemin glared. Why was he even helping him? “Stop thinking about the why and pull you limp coral.”

 

He sighed before tugging again. He wasn’t that skinny… was he?

 

----


 

Kibum scratched at his scruff as he eyed the map laid out on the huge table. Minho was saying something, what the captain wasn’t really sure what for he had drifted off into his thoughts long before that point, and Jonghyun was sitting on the chair opposite looking like he needed something stronger than water in his cup. He was brought out of his thoughts when both men turned to him. “So Captain what do you think?”

 

“Uh, huh?”

 

Jonghyun’s lips quirked into a small smile as he swirled his water around in his cup with his good arm. “He wasn’t listening Min. Not in the least bit. He’s in his daydreams again.”

 

Before Minho could say anything Kibum pushed out of his chair and placed his hat on his head. He was fiddling with his sword when he commanded. “Forget the merman. It’s been a week and there’s no sign of him. It’s been almost 3 months since the men have been on leave. Find the closest safe port and set course there. I’ll be in my rooms.”

 

He heard the soft, worried mutter of his name for a second before the door closed behind him.


 

                            -----

 

It so happened that the closest port was maybe a 3 days sail from where they were. His men seemed very excited for the 4 days free time awaiting them once they made port. Days filled with women or men, alcohol and shopping, but their Captain wasn’t sure even boos could erase his thoughts.

 

Night had fallen and there were more men than normal working the ship to make sure they got to their destination in a very timely matter. Kibum however wasn’t paying much attention to his crew. The dark waves crashing against his ship were hypnotising, lulling him deeper into his mind. He was snapped out of it by a warm hand on his shoulder. Minho was leaning beside him when he glanced over and he let out a sigh of relief. “You know we could have kept looking.”

 

Kibum shook his head. “It’s just a stupid rock given to me by a woman I knew for maybe 6 years of my life. It’s not worth risking my crew’s loyalty.”

 

“Bum I know how much that necklace meant, no means, to you.”

 

“It means nothing to me Minho. The less I have connecting me to that life the better,” He hummed. “Don’t you have inventory to do?”

 

“Yes Capt’.” With a wave of Kibum’s hand the man was gone.

 

                            ------

 

The sun was just rising over the horizon and the Captain of the Ghost Pearl felt alone on the deck full of men. His fingers gripped the spyglass in his hand, a gift from his first mate some years before. He gritted his teeth as he looked out at the sparkling waters of the early morning. He had no idea why he was out here so early. He had given up looking for the merman days ago, but he still was standing here on the deck of his ship holding his spyglass if looking for something. He wasn’t about to be honest with himself.

 

He lifted the spyglass to his eye when he spotted what he believed to be movement in the distance. What he saw had him running up to the quarterdeck and through the door leading to navigation. Minho looked at him with wide eyes, drink all over his shirt from him jumping in fright. His eyes narrowed when his Captain stated, “Navy ship. Coming straight for us.”

 

It seemed their time of leave wasn’t going to come so soon.

 

                            ----

 

Jinki almost never was near the surface unless it was dark above the water, or he was far away from places he had seen the big, brown floating ships. He did like the feeling of the sun against his tail, and he hadn’t been able to feel it in a while being as he hadn’t gone to his secret place in over a moon cycle. So what would a little time near the surface do?

 

Taemin was smiling widely at him before he was shooting out of the water and diving back in with a giggle. Jinki just rolled his eyes and slowly floated up. The air was cool with the sun still half set. “You look like a very unmajestic dolphin.”

 

The younger merman stuck his tongue out as he waded a little ways away, “Just because you can’t get your whale tail out of the water doesn’t mean you should talk about yourself like that.”

 

Jinki blinked at him, “That makes absolutely no sense.” Taemin shrugged before flicking his tail and swimming forward.

 

“Where are we going anyways?”

 

“Remember those hot springs? That deep cave with those air pockets?” Taemin stared out into the distance for a moment before nodding, “Well I want to do my hair and those waters are nice for tangles.”

 

“You and your hair.”

 

Jinki pouted. “You always used to say it was pretty.”

 

“It is!” Taemin giggled as he reached over to run his fingers through the hair still in the water. “Really pretty honestly so pretty.”

 

“Well I’ll need someone to twist it.”

 

“Me! ME ME ME ME I call it.” Jinki just smiled. Of course it would be Taemin. It always was.

 

“Such a silly barnacle.” He mumbled before smiling and flicking his tail a little harder to speed up. “Come on slow poke.”

 

Taemin gleefully kicked up his speed and giggled. It was then they heard the big explosion travelling over the surface of the water. Both looked to the right and before Taemin could even think of anything Jinki was diving under the water and moving toward the two giant ships covered in fire. “Neptune oh so help me.” He mumbled before lowering into the water and shooting after his stupid friend.



 

                           -----



 

Jinki knew this was a hundred different kinds of stupid, but as he dodged the bullets and debris he finally made it to the surface. He looked between the two ships, and noticed on the piece of wood connecting the two ships were two men fighting. One was wearing a simple clothes, and knee high boots. The other was in something a lot more fancy. To Jinki it looked like the clothes from one of the pretty treasures down in his cave.

 

His attention was snatched from the two fighting men when his hair was pulled back with a hiss of, “What in Neptune's name are you doing?”

 

Jinki pointed up at the fighting men, “The one on the right, dark hair… isn’t he the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?”

 

“YOU RUSHED OVER HERE PUTTING YOURSELF AND ME IN DANGER TO LOOK AT A PRETTY MAN?” Taemin was lucky the sounds of the canons were loud enough to mask his voice, or he would have to bust his out of here.

 

“Well no. I came because I was curious, but-” His voice died off as he turned and watched his pretty little human falling into the deep water. He looked up to look for the other one, to see him staring straight at them. “Taemin go.”

 

“What!?” The other shrieked.

 

“Go.” Taemin had never seen Jinki look at him like that, to sound so serious, so he decided it was about time he listened to him. He took one last look at the other merman before turning and flicking his tail in the other direction.

 

Jinki locked eyes with the man above him for a minute, before he dove under for his pretty human who still hadn’t come up.



 

                            ----




 

Swimming with the added weight was a little more difficult, so was twisting through the opening to his cave. Every so often he pressed their lips together and blew air into his mouth. He wasn’t sure if he would need it as much as he blew, but he figured it was better than not having enough. Once placed on the sand Jinki moved up the unconscious man and checked for any bleeding injuries. Thankfully there weren’t any, so he could focus on getting the water from out of the man’s system.

 

He hadn’t used the ability in decades and never on a person. He placed his palm on the man’s chest and the other on his throat. He closed his eyes and tried to distinguish between saltwater and the water the man actually needed in his body. Once he was focused enough he began to move the water up out of his throat and out of his mouth. When the stream of water splashed into the nearby ocean Jinki’s hand shot off him, heavy breathing mixing with the other man’s coughing.

 

“I really need to practice that more.” He mumbled as he wiggled over to occupy himself with his shells.

 

He glanced over at the human when he heard a groan. Their eyes were beginning to flutter open, limbs moving to find purchase on the ground, and head lolling to the side. Jinki’s nose scrunched up as he noticed the drool dripping down the man’s mouth. “Ick.”

 

The man however didn’t wake up fully. With a soft groan all movements stopped, and Jinki sighed before jumping into the water. He had things to do, and looking after a dumb human who jumps into the water without having a tail wasn’t one of them.



 

                            ----




 

Once Jinki broke the surface of the water in his cave after going and finding out things he needed, he was met with sharp eyes staring at him. His voice was even more piercing. “Where am I?”

 

“Uh a cave.”

 

After his lips the other continued. “And you’re the merman who stole my necklace.”

 

“Stealing is agree to disagree type of uh term.”

 

The other blinked at him as the merman pulled himself up onto the sand. “You pulled it off my neck.”

 

Jinki hummed before turning with a raised eyebrow. “Why did you fall into the water?”

 

“I didn’t do it on purpose.”

 

“Why didn’t you float?”

 

“I had too much lobster for dinner.”

 

Jinki hummed as he played with the shell he had picked up from the sand in the cave. “I still don’t understand how you fell off your ship.”

 

“I didn’t!” The other exclaimed. “I was tossed.”

 

Jinki cocked his head to the side. “Tossed?”

 

“Yes.” The air breather sighed, “Like picked up and thrown over the side. Like wanting me to go splat.”

 

The merman nodded in mock understanding, “Splat is like going squish right?”

 

“Right.”

 

Another hum, and a moment later Jinki was asking. “Why didn’t you go splat?”

 

“I DON’T KNOW FISHY MASTER FISH.” Jinki tapped his shell against his tail before setting it down and twisting his hair to lay over his shoulder. The human was the first to break the silence. “My name’s Kibum. If you uh wanted to know.”

 

“Mine’s Jinki.”

 

“Thanks… you know for saving me.”

 

When he looked over at the creature he had been tracking for 3 days he received the warmest smile he had ever seen. “You’re too much of a pretty thing for me to allow you to be taken.”

 

Kibum’s eyes quickly moved from the other, heat rising to his cheeks, before a hand was touching his arm and bring his attention back. The same hand was grabbing his wrist, turning his hand over and placing something in his palm. When the other removed his hand, Kibum’s eyes laid on the necklace taken from him days before. “My necklace... “

 

Jinki smiled when dumbfounded eyes found his own. “It’s such a pretty thing, but information can be found easily once one looks. I’m sorry I took a treasure that meant so much to you.” Before Kibum could say anything the other was speaking again, “You should rest. I’ll take you back to your people once you’re well enough to swim with me.”

 

“Swim?” Kibum choked.

 

The merman smiled. “How else do you get from under the water but to swim?”

 

The pirate captain swallowed thickly.




 

                            -----




 

The water was surprisingly warm as he pushed off the shore. Jinki was wading a little ways away, a soft smile on his face as his tail flicked deeper in the water. Kibum’s hand was still on the shore as he nervously flicked his eyes over the blue of the water, “So it’s a pretty short swim right?”

 

Jinki cocked his head to the side, thinking things over before shrugging, “Distance in the sea is different for you and I. You take moon cycles to travel what I can in days.”

 

“Just… don’t kill me okay?”

 

The merman smiled brightly at him as he swam over to hook an arm around his waist and pull him from the shore. “Just hold onto me. I’ll get you to the island you’re ship will be at.”

 

“How do you know where it’ll be?”

 

Jinki just smiled, “Hold your breath Pirate.”

 

Kibum at maybe 5 seconds to gulp before he was being pulled under the water.

 

                        

 

    -----




 

Jinki found out that it was a great thing that he had blown air into the human’s mouth on the way down. If the way Kibum was clawing at his throat was any indication. He shook his head and pressed their lips together, blowing hot air into his mouth before flicking his tail to go faster. He had to do it 2 more times before they finally broke the surface and Kibum was gasping for air and glaring. “You know for someone… who’s fast…. that was AWFULLY SLOW!”

 

The merman just beamed over at him. “Your squishy little human body couldn’t take me at my full speed.”

 

Kibum groaned before looking around him. There was an island behind them and it took him a minute to recognize it. “This is Macaw Bay.”

 

Jinki shrugged. “It’s Catfish circle to us, but you’re boat is here.”

 

Kibum’s eyebrow shot up, “How do you know?”

 

The other smiled as he drifted away slightly, “Seagulls are such gossipers.”

 

Then he was gone leaving Kibum to yell, “HOW THE HELL DO I GET TO SHORE I CAN’T SWIM.”

 

He figured out a way.  

 

                        -----


 

“So you’re telling me that the merman we were searching for saved your and brought you to us?” Jonghyun asked in a non believing tone.

 

Kibum sighed. “YES you dip.”

 

Minho giggled behind his hand only to get a piece of bread thrown at his head. “Don’t waste that I bought that.”

 

Jonghyun smiled shyly before stretching. After finding their Captain wandering around the market looking for them they had taken him back to the inn they were staying at while their ship was repaired. The two men filled Kibum in on the fight, and how they barely made it out, but that no one was killed. That was something the captain was grateful to hear.

 

Then he had started to tell them about his adventures, starting with how he managed to have his necklace back around his neck. “Well I’m off for a nap. I spent the whole night with Mr. Worry over here.” Minho glared at the injured navigator and Kibum just smiled.

 

He was trying to keep the feeling of Jinki’s lips against his out of his head.



 

                                        -----



 

He failed. For the rest of the time it took for his ship to get fixed his thoughts were on Jinki. His pink hair curled around his face and shoulders, and how he looked with his head thrown back as he smoothed his hair back out of his face. His collarbones and chest, and how his tummy was sculpted but not overly so. The color of his tail, so rich and beautiful, as it went from the pale pink at his waist to the deep purple of the fin. He had been with him for maybe a couple hours, and yet Jinki was in every single thought. Even his dreams were filled with the other’s sweet smile.

 

Kibum felt like he was losing his mind.

 

He had hoped none of his crew would notice, but that was stupid thinking when he was with them for so long as soon as their ship was fixed. Though not one person said a thing he knew they had things to say if given the chance to. He was just happy to be out on the ocean again. He missed seeing the moon reflect off the ocean, and the waves crash against the hull of his ship.

 

The only problem now was that the ocean reminded of Jinki for a new reason.

 

For his beauty and not his quick hands.



 

                            ----



 

Jinki was almost suffocated the moment he squeezed through the opening to their treasure cove. Taemin’s nose was pressed into his neck, thin arms tight around his head, and quick words mumbled into his skin. He didn’t mean to worry the other, and never this badly. He moved his arms to wrap around Taemin and pulled him in tight, “I’m sorry.”

 

Taemin sniffled, grip looser, but nose sniffling as he mumbled, “Don’t do that again. I thought I would have to find another partner.”

 

He smiled, “I’m fine. Kibum was just heavier than I imagined.”

 

“Kibum?” The other asked after pulling back.

 

“The pretty human. His name is Kibum.”

 

Taemin’s eyebrows shot up. “You know his name.”

 

Jinki sighed. Now he knew sleeping wasn’t going to happen at all as Taemin shot off on his million and three questions. He just laid down and swung his tail slowly through the water as he listened. What had he gotten himself into?



 

                            -----



 

When Jonghyun walked through his chamber door he barely casted him a glance up from the letter he was writing. Eunhyuk of the Shining Sun was looking for someone to look after something for him and had reached out to his brothers on Kibum’s ship. Jonghyun stood before his desk with his arms crossed, face soft as he waited for his captain to finish. That or get annoyed and look up. “What do you want?” Ah it worked every time.

 

He dropped the small bag on the desk a little ways from the paper present. “This was found on the deck, and it doesn’t belong to anyone here. Junmyeon claims he saw something jump out of the water and place it there.”

 

“Shoot out of the water? To place this piece of dirty cloth on my ship?” Kibum snorted. “Does that make sense to you?”

 

Jonghyun just smiled as he pulled the drawstring and gently shook the contents out to tumble across the table top. “I don’t know Captain. You tell me.”

 

Kibum picked up the giant pearl with hesitant fingers. He had never seen one so big. As Jonghyun closed the door behind him without a word Kibum knew there was only one person who could have given it to him.

 

It just made him wonder why Jinki would give him such an expensive gift.


 

            

                              -----



 

Every morning a small bag was placed on the handle of his door from a crew member who happened to find it on deck on patrol. It was different depending on the day, but they were all extremely valuable. An emerald the size of his fist. A diamond necklace fit for a queen. Even a bejeweled tiger statue. Kibum found himself smiling wider each and every morning when he opened it to see the small tan sack. The gifts were wrapped against in the bag they came in and placed safely in his desk.

 

After a week full of gifts he figured it was about time he was there to receive them himself. He smiled as he pulled on his boots and made his way up onto the main deck once the sun had set and the moon had risen. The presents were always found in the same spot, so he sat against the thick wood of the railing and waited.

 

He heard the splashing before he saw him. At first he thought it was just the ship cutting through the waves, but it was a different sound. He looked over the distant ocean and a smile pulled at his lips when he saw the moonlight reflecting off the merman’s tail as he dove through the dark water.

 

Jinki looked up with confused eyes when he noticed someone was on the deck of the ship, before he recognized him. That big, warm smile was on his face before he was diving further into the water and shooting up. His hand gripped the railing of the ship and he pulled himself up. He beamed up at the pirate before flicking his hair out of his face. “I’m guessing you’ve gotten my treasures?”

 

Kibum held up the red ruby ring present on his finger, “My crew have made a competition out of who can find it and give it to me first.”

 

“I’m uh glad you like it.”

 

His eyes flickered to the small bag present in Jinki’s palm. “Is that for me too?”

 

“Oh OH yeah.” It seemed dropping them off anonymously and in person were two different things. He pushed the gift over the deck with a finger as pink dusted his cheeks.

 

He was rather cute while blushing Kibum concluded a moment before pulling the present open. “It’s beautiful.”

 

“I uh, know it’s not as shiny as the other’s, but it’s my most valuable treasure.”  

 

It was a necklace, just a simple blue pearl and small shells on twirled twine. Jinki was right, it wasn’t valuable like the others, but it meant more. “You wore this when you saved me.”

 

Jinki nodded. “My Dad gave that to me when I left the Reef. It signifies the last time I’ve seen him.”

 

Kibum’s eyes widened, “Oh Jinki you don’t have to give me this.”

 

But the merman was pushing his hand back and curling his fingers over his palm with a soft smile, “Out of all my adventures, and all the treasures and shiny things I’ve found, I’ve never met something so pretty. I feel kind of idiotic sitting here on your ship telling you that you’re my biggest treasure and this is only the third time we’ve talked.”

 

The pirate hummed, “If it makes you feel better I haven’t stopped thinking of those talks since you dropped me off at that island.”

 

“Oh?”

 

A soft smile was present as he looked over through his eyelashes, “And this talk isn’t so bad either.”

 

Jinki tapped his fingers on the deck before looking over and asking, “Does that mean you’ll keep my necklace?”

 

“If you keep mine.”

 

That night when Jinki dove back into the water there was a blue gem glinting against his chest,  a warm feeling on his lips where Kibum’s had touched his, and a promise of another moonlight meeting.



 

                            ----




 

Minho noticed his change of jewelry first thing in the morning as soon as his captain stepped into the navigation room. Before Jonghyun came from his bed and Junmyeon from the wheel, he slipped into the seat beside Kibum and smirked at him. “Soooo.”

 

“Sooo?” Kibum asked softly, all sleepy.

 

“Why the necklace change?”

 

Kibum’s eyes narrowed and his hand came up to cover the pearl and shells. “None of your business.”

 

Minho sighed. “I tracked a merman for 3 days for that damn necklace so it is my business.”

 

When the answer finally came it was almost too quiet to catch, “Jinki gave it to me last night… and I gave him mine.”

 

The First mate just planted his forehead against the thick table covered in maps with a groan. Kibum couldn’t even feel bad for the man as Jonghyun stepped through the door followed my Junmyeon. Once they found their seats he stood and smiled, before pointing to a spot on the map. There was a little blue flag wrapped on a toothpick stuck to signify the inhabitant island. “Set sail for there.”

 

“There’s nothing there but jungle and beach.” Junmyeon said in disbelief.

 

But Kibum just smiled widely. “I know. It’s perfect.”

 

“If this is about that damn fish…” Minho muttered under his breath loud enough that only Kibum could hear.

 

He got a fist to his gut.




 

------




 

The breeze was cool against his skin as he walked barefoot against the white sand. The blue green water of the ocean was pulling at the shore, waves crashing before receding, and though it was beautiful it wasn’t as pretty as the merman waiting for him on the rocky shore just ahead. His pink hair was over his shoulder, but the wind was blowing strands of it over his face.

 

“I was starting to think you wouldn’t show up.” Kibum said as he climbed up to the big, flat rock Jinki was on.

 

“I’ve been here for days. You’ve just been looking at all the wrong places.”

 

The pirate shook his head before pulling Jinki into a soft kiss. He nudged their noses together as he smiled and pulled away. “I’m happy you’re here now.”

 

Another hesitant press of lips, hands skimming over skin with unsure movements, but the embrace deepened. Kibum leaned back, pulling Jinki up between his legs. Their chests were pressed together, still damp skin against the soft cotton of the other’s shirt. Jinki brought his hands up to curl around the other’s long dark locks, a moan rumbling against their lips. Neither were sure who it came from.

 

They weren’t sure where this had come from, but neither could bring themselves to pull back and slow down. Kibum moved down his neck, gentle mixed with harsher ones with the intent to mark. Jinki’s breathing was hot against his skin, little noises pushing past his red lips. They didn’t part until Kibum gasped when the other shifted against the thing pressing against his tail.

 

Jinki was unceremoniously tossed off him. Kibum was rushing over to the edge of the rock, his back toward the merman, and head hung low. “What in Neptune was that for?” Jinki asked pushing up off the rock with his elbow.

 

Kibum looked over his shoulder with dark eyes. “I really don’t want to explain how blood rushes to this meat stick when I’m enjoying something too much to my merman of a lover.”

 

“I’m your lover?” Jinki asked with a soft smile.

 

“That’s not wh-”

 

“And you like kissing me that much?”

 

With pink cheeks he exclaimed, “Your lips are like molded by the gods why wouldn’t I enjoy it?”

 

“You’re really cute.” Jinki mumbled as he pulled himself closer and pressed a kiss to the base of the pirate’s neck.

 

“Bite me.”  He honestly didn’t think Jinki would do it.

 

He was mistaken.



 

                            ----



 

For months Jinki would meet the pirate at various islands during the ship’s breaks. Even when they were restocking their supplies the merman was there peeking over the dock waiting to catch the soft smile of the pirate Captain. He always disappeared when someone else noticed him however. He was a folktale, talked about in dimly lit taverns after a couple rounds. He would like to stay that way.

 

He still left gifts for his lover, from shells to little trinkets he and Taemin found on their adventures. It was a random night that he found something waiting for him. It was a little pastry, something he had never seen before, but he had seen it in the picture down in his cave being lifted to a man’s lips. He figured it was safe enough to eat.

 

The rich flavor exploded on his tongue, causing his eyes to widen and happy little grunts to sound as he nibbled on the treat. He was definitely going to ask for more of those the next time he saw Kibum in person.

 

                            ----



 

“Do you ever braid your hair when you swim?” Kibum quietly asked as his fingers worked on the long pink hair of the other.

 

Jinki shrugged. “Anything I find to hold it together falls off so there’s really no point.”

 

Once finished, he tied his bracelet around the end with a smile and kissed the merman’s shoulder happily. “Hopefully this works.”

 

He pulled his hair over his shoulder and turned with a bright smile as he ran his hands over the tight braid. “Thank you.”

 

Kibum pulled him into a kiss with a smile, “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

                            -----



 

The afternoon sun was almost baking the crew of the Ghost Pearl when the other ship was spotted on the horizon. The flag was blurry from such a distance, but as precaution the men rushed to their battle stations. Kibum was running out of his chambers as soon as Minho opened the door telling him of the ship, and he snatched the spyglass from Jonghyun’s hand as soon as he slid to a stop against the railing of the Quarterdeck. “ The odds that ship is friendly is the same as me being a woman. Make sure the canons are ready to be loaded and fired.”

 

“Aye aye Captain.” Leo rushed down the stairs to the main deck and disappeared for the steps leading to the inner workings of the ship.

 

“You don’t really think we can take that can you?”

 

Kibum turned toward his First Mate. With the number of his men aboard Eunhyuk’s ship he was almost certain they wouldn’t make it out of this alive if the ship was hostile, but he couldn’t tell his crew that. “If the men are in position and they do their job there’s no reason we shouldn’t.”

 

He didn’t even believe himself.

 

                        -----

 

Dread sunk deep within him as he saw the deep red flag flapping in the wind. “Poachers.” He mumbled.

 

“Why would poachers attack us?” Minho asked, fingers gripping the rail tightly.

 

“Supplies? Itching for a fight? They’re s? I don’t know, but Poachers are never a happy experience.” Kibum pulled out his gun and made sure it was loaded before glancing at the fast approaching ship.  “Look if I don’t make it out of this-”

 

A finger was pressed to his lips and usually warm eyes were piercing as Minho stepped closer, “Don’t you dare have this conversation with me. We promised to NEVER have it again.”

 

“But-”

 

“No.” Minho shook his head. “You want Jinki to know you love him, you’ll tell him. I won’t go looking for a god damn merman to tell him something you want me to because you were dumb enough to die. No.”

 

“Minho come on.”

 

The man seemed like he was going to punch him with how tight his fist was clenched, but then the first cannonball cut through the air, falling short and crashing into the waves. It wouldn’t be that long before it would hit the wood of the hull. They were climbing up to the poop deck when the first one crashed through the ship, rocking it off course and making them fall from their feet. Kibum cursed as he pulled himself up.

 

One more cannonball collided with the Ghost Pearl, crashing straight through the middle of main deck, before silence fell. Kibum looked with confused eyes to see the ship slowly turning away and out of range. “Why in hell?’

 

Miles away Jinki whispered I love you as his fingers curled around the necklace around his neck. He glanced behind him, at the huge ship gaining on him quickly, and sighed before flicking his tail harder in hopes he could get away.

 

As the net fell in front of him, tangling his arms in the thick rope, the only thought was Kibum was safe.

 

                                                                          ------

 

When Kibum arrived at the port and saw no sight of Jinki at all in the three days he walked up those beaches he knew something was up. He was walking into the tavern to find Jonghyun when he saw the flyer.

 

There was a rough sketch of Jinki on the parchment and his heart was in his throat. “No.” He whispered before he was ripping the flyer off the post and running to his ship.

 

                            ----


 

When he had slammed the flyer in front of Minho who was checking off boxes of supplies present on the deck of the ship the man sighed. “What do you want from me now?”

 

“Jinki’s in danger.”

 

“Look I know he’s ditched you the last couple days but-”

 

“MINHO FOR S SAKE.” That shut the man up. In the 12 years he had known Kibum, not once had he looked so stricken. “He’s been captured and is up for sale in 11 days. He can’t be harmed!”

 

“Hey hey calm down Capt’ I’m sure it’s just a fools tale.”

 

Kibum shook his head. “Look at the seal. It isn’t some sick joke.”

 

“Alright. I’ll get the men from the island. You start mapping out our course.”

 

“What if we’re too late?”

 

Minho smiled, “Standing here thinking that isn’t making us get there faster Bummie.”  

 

                        ----

Getting on the shore of the island was pretty easy, but getting past the line of trees leading further in posed a problem. “There are gunmen up in the trees. We step 5 more feet and this is going to be a story told to show what not to do.” Minho muttered as he reached back to pull an arrow from his quiver. “And I can almost bet reinforcements are on their way now that they’ve let us on land.”

 

Jonghyun looked over at him with bored eyes. “Do you ever say anything chipper anymore?”

 

“Can you take them out Minho?” The man just smiled at his Captain before standing up and raising his bow. An arrow flew, cutting through the air and a moment later a body fell from the line of trees with a thump. “Gonna take that as a yes.”

 

While he worked on the first line of defense Kibum looked around for any sign or marker leading to the future auction. He knew it was a fool’s hope to believe it would be that easy, but he still looked anyway. There wasn’t a big sign screaming here here the merman is here, but there was a small boat docked slightly northwest of them just past the line of trees. He nudged Jonghyun and motioned toward it without being too obvious. “I think that’s our best bet. I need you to take the crew through the big opening, keep them busy once Minho finishes the gunmen.”

 

“And you?”

 

“I’ll be finding Jinki, and you all will find me after. Great plan? I know.”  Jonghyun growled, but Minho lowering his bow prevented him from saying anything else. Kibum beamed at him. “Any riches you find is yours. Meet you at the ship.”

 

                        ----

 

Kibum squinted into the distance as he rounded the curve of trees, to try and make out what was in what looked like a huge hanging net. He couldn’t quite make it out, but it was his best hope in finding Jinki. After the arrow was let go Minho was by his side looking where he was. “I need you to keep these people back. I’m going to go find Jinki.”

 

“Yes Captain, but what if-”

 

He flashed a wicked smile, before pulling out his gun, “See you at dinner. You owe me an ale!”

 

Minho growled, but he was turning to shoot an arrow into the shoulder of a man attacking Jonghyun before he could even attempt to run after his best friend.

 

                            ----

 

“Where the hell are you?” Kibum mumbled as he looked around the building he was currently pressed up against. When two men appeared from around the wall he cursed and slid his sword from his hip. One went down fairly quickly, but the other put up more of a fight. Kibum hissed as the sharp metal of the other’s blade cut his cheek, before he brought his own home in the poacher’s chest.

 

Once he pulled it from the man he glanced up to see the net hanging up by a wooden fixture. It was then he recognized the splash of pink hair. Something sunk inside him when it hit him that it wasn’t as long as it used to be. After a quick glance about and noticing the coast was clear Kibum sprinted over. The creature in the net slowly turned their head, and the broken look in Jinki’s eyes pained the pirate. “Kibum?” The merman muttered as fingers curled around the pieces of rope. When he was sure it was his human he brow furrowed and he turned slightly to cover the other’s hands with his own. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Saving you of course.” Kibum slid his sword back into it’s place at his hip and pulled a small knife from the inside of his boot. After straightening the man frowned as he lifted his hand to gently touch the merman’s haphazardly cut hair. His voice was soft and pained, “What did they do to you?”

 

The sadness in Jinki’s eyes was one of deep loss, as if a part of his soul was missing. Kibum knew how much his hair meant to him; to his people. “They… they thought they could get something for it.”

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t sooner.” The way Jinki reacted was no where near what he expected.

 

He was glaring at him harshly, “You gotta go Kibum. Go! Before more come.”

 

The man just brought the knife to the rope and began to saw. He looked up and flashed a smile, “First thing we do when we get back to my ship is get you a haircut.”

 

He figured Jinki gave up on arguing over his rescue so he focused on cutting the merman out. He was done with almost 3 bits of rope when he noticed the discolored parts of his usually beautiful, sparkling tail. His head snapped up, eyes blown with worry, only to receive a small, almost sad, knowing smile. “I’ve been out of the water for too long… this,” He whispered as he ran a hand over his tail, “Happens when I’m not touching water for a long time.”

 

Kibum looked at the contraption holding him up one last time with more scrutiny before a glint flashed in his eyes. He put his small knife back into his boot before grabbing his sword once more. He locked eyes with Jinki for a moment as he apologized. “I’m sorry love, but this’ll hurt.” Jinki had maybe 5 seconds to contemplate about what exactly the man meant before the sword was arching above his head and slicing the net all the way through. The merman hit the hard pier with a loud thunk and a groan of pain. Jinki tried to roll over and find where Kibum was, but then there were warm hands underneath his arms and a soft voice against his ear. “Let’s get you into the water.”

 

They were maybe 4 feet away from the edge of the pier when the loud voices were heard. Both looked up to see 3 poachers running full speed toward them. Kibum was pulling out his gun from his belt and firing two shots in rapid succession before Jinki could even blink. The men on the outer sides collapsed into the sand. The remaining attacker’s movement’s shuddered for a moment before his eyes darkened. Kibum pressed a kiss to his lips and whispered. “Get to the water. I’ll take care of him.”

 

Kibum was intercepting the man with a loud clang of his sword and against everything in his heart Jinki decided to trust the reputation the other always gloated that he possessed. He winced as the wound on his tail slid against the unpolished wood of the pier, but he used what strength he had to ignore the fighting sounds behind him and drag himself to the edge. He’d be safer in the water. He could see the blue sea just over the edge he was so close. His body screamed for him to stop, and when he looked back he could see his blood trailing behind him.

 

A gasp caught his attention and caused him to not jump into the water. When he looked back at where the fight had started his heart stopped in his chest. Kibum’s back was toward him, but through his left shoulder was a silver blade. The pirate stumbled back with the impact before ing his own sword through the middle of the man. The poacher fell to the ground in a groaning heap.

 

Kibum’s knees began to buckle before he caught himself. He turned and the way his face twisted in pain as he pulled the sword from his body made Jinki’s chest tighten. With almost wobbling steps the man began to make his way back to his merman. He was maybe 2 feet away, a smile on his face when he noticed how close Jinki was to the edge, relief on his face as if he believed he would be safe, when the shot pierced the silence.

 

He looked in horror past Kibum to the man he had thought he had killed. His gun was held with a shaking hand as if he used all his strength to shoot that bullet. Jinki didn’t know where the shot had landed on Kibum, but the way he staggered and fell to his knees told him that it had hit him somewhere.

 

Blood was seeping into Kibum’s shirt, and without a glance at the water Jinki pulled himself over to the man. “What are you doing?” He gasped out as he tried to add some pressure to the wound.

 

“Rescuing you of course.”

 

“You little .” Jinki tried to smile, tried to reassure him, but then he was stumbling forward and would have fallen on his face if the merman hadn’t caught him.

 

“Shh.” Jinki chewed on his lip as he flipped the man over and peeled away his shirt.

 

Seeing the look on his face Kibum reached up with his right hand to cup Jinki’s cheek. “Hey Love it’s not that bad.”

 

Jinki glanced at his hand as he lifted it away from the wound, “You’re bleeding so badly… I… where’s Minho?”

 

Kibum just shook his head and moved to squeeze the merman’s hand. “I want you to go into the water Baby.” He paused to take in a harsh breath. “I need you to leave me here. I’ll find Minho on my own.”

 

“Bull!”

 

“Jinki!”

 

“You think I can just run away? You think I can just jump into the sea while you bleed to death? I’d give up everything as long as you were safe. That’s why I helped you get away from that other ship. That’s why I gave myself up. ”

 

Realization sparked in the other’s dimming eyes. “You showed yourself to take the ship off our trail.”

 

Jinki softly smiled as he cupped his lover’s cheek. “Better me than you.”

 

Kibum grimaced in pain as the adrenaline began to leave his system. “You’re so stupid.”

 

“But I’m your stupid.”

 

Kibum watched to smack him, wanted to yell and scream for him to leave, to throw him into the water himself, but darkness was starting to pull at his thoughts, and Jinki’s face began to blur as his eyelids fluttered in their fight to stay open. He couldn’t even hear the rest of the words cried against his lips.

    

                            -----


 

The man on the bed winced as sunlight filtered through the window of the small inn. A groan rumbled from his lips as the pain set in. The white bandage wrapped around his right shoulder and chest had spots of red from the blood seeping through the fabric. The lanky man sitting at the desk a little ways away looked up worried that the sleeping man was feeling too much man, but seeing his Captain’s eyes fluttering open was not what he expected. He closed his book and slid it onto the table before rushing over to the bed.

 

He squeezed a cloth in cool water before gently patting it on Kibum’s forehead. He smiled when the injured man’s eyes focused on him, “Hey Capt.”

 

“Min-” A firm hand was placed on his uninjured half of his chest, pushing him down on the bed when he attempted to move.

 

“Shh. Kibum you’re still recovering. Try not to move so much.”

 

The man seemed to understand and settled down. He was rather enjoyed the soft caress of the cool towel on his forehead when he his eyes went wide and his fingers curled around Minho’s wrist harshly. “Jinki… he got out right? He’s safe?”

 

Kibum wasn’t too fond of the expression on Minho’s face, but the words made his gut twist. “He wouldn’t leave your side. I had to toss him off the pier for him to go.”

 

“Toss him?” It was barely a whisper.

 

“Bum I have never seen someone so distraught as Jinki was when you took those bullets for him. He wouldn’t even let any of the crew near you. It took me for him to finally let anyone approach. SO yes. I tossed his stubborn into the water. He was willing to suffocate to protect you.”

 

Kibum chewed on his lip for a moment before his eyes rose back up, “Where is he now?” Minho’s expression was a grim one as he pushed up off the bed and over to the desk. He pulled out a little silver box. When he stood there for more than a minute worry bubbled up, “Minho where’s Jinki?”

 

Minho looked over his shoulder for a split second, at the furrowed brows and the worried eyes, before clasping his other hand over the silver box and carrying it over to the injured man. He gently took a hold of Kibum’s hand, spreading the fingers from their curled position and keeping it there as he moved to open the box. “He’s gone Kibum.”

 

He didn’t want to believe his friend. He didn’t want to believe Minho like every other time in his life. Jinki couldn’t be gone. He just couldn’t be. “No.. no he’s not-” Kibum’s words were cut short as the very familiar looking necklace was set in his palm. The realization set in deep within his chest as his lip quivered and his sight blurred. He curled his fingers over the light blue jewel, and whispered, “No…”

 

The look in Kibum’s eyes hit Minho square in the chest. He quickly nuzzled his head into the man’s good shoulder and hugged his head close. “He waited until he knew you’d make it. No matter how many times I begged him to go away from the dock he stayed. He kept coming back waiting for me to walk down and talk with him. When I said that the inflammation was gone and that you were healing well he smiled at me and handed me that, telling me to give it back to you and tell you that he loves you.” He gently began to wipe the silent tears falling from his Captain’s cheeks. “He didn’t want to cause you any more harm Kibum. He called you his greatest Treasure.”

 

Kibum’s finger tightened around the gem, a broken sob falling from his lips, and the throb of his injury fading away as the pain set in his heart. Jinki was gone.

 

And he wasn’t coming back.



 

                        ----

 

Thin fingers moved over the other merman’s slowly growing hair. The owner of the fingers frowned when he felt Jinki tremble. “It doesn’t look that bad.”

 

The older merman looked up eyes showing how hurt he was. “It’s not.. it’s not-”

 

“About the hair, I know Jinki.” Taemin gave a soft smile before swimming around him to hug him from the back. He pressed a kiss to his hair, “I can’t tell you if what you did was a good or bad decision, but if you don’t stop crying the ocean is going to rise more than the normal average this year.” Jinki snorted, but didn’t say another word. Taemin frowned deeply when he noticed how the other’s fingers were aimlessly moving across his chest and collarbones, as if looking for the necklace that was no longer there. “Think of it this way, Kibum is safe. He’s alive. He’ll be happy.”

 

Jinki tried to feel happy as he smiled, but the emotion fell short. He figured that repeating the logic that made him leave over and over again would make him actually believe it, so when the other merman flicked his tail at him he laughed and swatted at him. “I guess you’re right. At least he’s alive.”

 

“Good.” Taemin beamed. “Now let’s get going. The coral reefs are looking marvelous and we haven’t been in FOREVER.”

 

“Okay Taeminnie, let’s go.”

 

He took one last glance up towards the surface before closing his eyes. He tried to remember what Kibum’s face looked like when he smiled, the sound of his laugh as he used his entire body to show it, and how good his lips felt on his jaw. When he opened them once again Taemin was staring at him with an expression with a mix of worry and curiosity. “You okay?”

 

With the thought of how Kibum whispered I love you as he played with his hair, Jinki smiled for real and took his friend’s hand. “I’m more than okay.”

 

Taemin looked relieved as his fingers curled around the stubby fingers. As they swam further out to sea hands still intertwined together, he glanced over and smiled. Jinki looked different without his long hair, but it seemed to show just how much he had changed. Taemin hoped the change was for the better.

 

“Hey Jinks?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What would it be like if we were half octopus?”

 

Jinki stopped swimming and stared at the other. “What in Blue giant is going through your mind?”

 

Taemin gave him a huge smile, “I mean think about it, all those tentacles. You could do so much.”

 

As he was pulled to swim again Jinki hummed, “True. I could eat, scratch my tummy and pet a fish.”

 

The other giggled. Maybe things would be okay again.