Bullying is Bad

Big Sister To The Rescue!

My name is Sadie and I just moved to South Korea. My mom remarried a Korean man named Hyun. They met while my mom was on a business trip in Seoul and there was an instant connection between the two. I was happy for her because she was so depressed after my dad decided that he wanted to get an divorce. They dated for two years before Hyun proposed to her. During those two years I met Hyun multiple times and I slowly grew more and more fond of him. I was able to eventually see him as a father figure. The one person whom I didn't get to see as much was his son, Sehun. He was younger than me, but that was okay because I always wanted to have a little brother to boss around. Althought there really isn't much of an age difference. He will turn 16 next month and I turned 16 two weeks ago. We get along well, but he enjoys making fun of my korean. I don't get very mad though because if we are going to be honest here, my Korean really does . 

Now that my parents are married we are all moving in togeter. My mom made the deciscion to move to South Korea. She told me that I would love it. Both of my parents were very sucessful in the business world so we were able to afford a nice house in Seoul. We still stayed near Hyun's old neighborhood so Sehun was able to attend the same school with all of his friends. Honestly speaking, I don't typically get nervous for anything, but I am super nervous for school tomorrow. My Korean is still really shaky and my communication skills are no where near polished. Going into a new environment without knowing much about culture would make anyone feel like an anxious pile of goop. 

Sehun  talked to me the night before and reassured me that I would be just fine the next day at school. He practiced introductions in Korean with me and helped me pick out my outfit (only because I begged him to). His little pep-talk gave me the confidence boost that I needed for the next day.

I woke up to my alarm which sounded like a four year old opening presents at Christmas. Needless to say, it was irritating. Hyun gave both of us a ride to school in his Audi and told us to have a good day. Sehun walked with me to the front doors. Unfortunately I received a lot of unwanted attention but that was to be expected because I was a foreigner. As we walked through the hallways, Sehun was greeted by many people who he seemed to know. I eventually snuck away from my very popular brother in order to find my locker. 

When I arrived to my first class, which was Biology, our first names were written on tags at the table. Luckily my name was written in English. I sat at my seat once I found my name. Next to me was a beautiful, sun kissed boy who grinned at me when I sat down next to him. I introduced myself the way the Sehun and I had practiced the night brfore. He told me that his name was Jongin. The name sounded oddly familiar but I let it slide for the time being. The teacher was a total oddball. He was demonstrating how to do a lab and he lit his sleeve on fire. The students seemed used to this kind of an accident so they easily helped the teacher put the fire out. He also dropped a test tube on the floor and caused it to shatter. I was kind of glad to be out of that class because  I felt like it was a threat to my life. 

Jongin was kind enough to walk me to my next class, which flew by fast because we just had to fill out a bunch of introduction papers. Since it was an English class we had to answer in English and I was relieved to hear that. Halfway through the class my stomach started to growl. It was loud enough that the boy next to me heard it and looked at me. I blushed and he chuckled silently. Finally the bell rang and I rushed off to lunch. Thank goodness Sehun showed me where it was so I wouldn't get lost. 

When I was walking I noticed a blonde head that belonged to Sehun pop up in the distance. Then I looked at the person next to him and something in my brain clicked and I realized why the name Jongin sounded familiar. It was because he was Sehun's best friend since birth. I felt dumb that I couldn't even remeber my brothers best friend considering that I had seen multiple pictures of them together. I was so focused on what was going on in my head that I missed what was going on around me which caused me to crash into the person in front of me.  There was a huge circle formed in the middle of the hallway. I couldn't see what or who was in the circle from my position so I moved around the circle and stood on my tiptoes. Surprisingly, even with my height, I still could not see what was going on. I crouched down and finally was able to see. In the circle was Jongin on the ground, clutching his arm. The other person was my little brother who was about to be charged by a larger classmate.  

Hyun had mentioned to me before that Sehun has had bullying problems in the past but Hyun said they stopped.  Ever since I heard that Sehun was bullied I've been even more protective of him because I can't stand to see someone being bullied. No one deserves to be treated like that and I'm willing to stand up for anyone that is in that position. 

So without thinking, I crawled into the circle. Jongin saw me and his eyes widened in shock. I looked at the attacker and for once in my life I was glad that my mother put me through 10 years of martial arts because what I was about to do next I wouldn't have been able to do without it.

Sehun's attacker was still closing in on him. Before he could make a move I tapped him on his shoulder. He turned around and glared at me. Before he could say anything I shot my fist out and landed a punch right to the middle of his face hard enough that I heard bones crack. I'm assuming what he said while holding his face were not very nice words. He stood up and charged me. He really underestimated me because he did not try to defend himself. I saw the opening he left and took a chance and was able to land a solid kick to the place where the sun doesn't shine. Now he was down on his knees and I grabbed his collar and snarled, "If you ever mess with my little brother again I will make you regret your choices!" I said in broken Korean. I would have thrown in a few swear words if I had known any but I think my glare was enough to show him that I meant business. The boy that I had beat up was too shocked to move. The crowd broke apart when a teacher came to investigate.

I ended up with two weeks of detention but I was given the reputation of being the school hero. It was worth it though because I was able to stand up for everyone who had been bullied by that guy. I will not tolerate bullying especially when it involves my brother and his friends. My goal is to be a good big sister for Sehun even though we are basically the same age. I think I managed to accomplish that goal on the first day.