The Start

The Start of Something Beautiful

Come on just a little faster, just a little further Baby. Your thoughts were racing almost as fast as your car. You were right on Youngjae's , which just so happened to be in first place, and there was no possible way you were missing out on this race's payout.

"Let's raise the stakes." Jaebum had suggested just before the race began.

"How much you talkin?" You had asked.

"$20,000 to race, an extra $500 if you lose?" Yugyeom suggested.

"You are so on!" Your competitive side just could not pass on a payout that big even if you had wanted to. It was then that Youngjae joined the race and if you were honest, it made you nervous. You had beaten everyone at least twice, except for Youngjae. He had practically been born racing and you had yet to beat him, you were good but he always managed to be better.

After everyone handed over the racing fee to Jinyoung you all lined up at the starting point.

"Kick kid we need this payout." your sister said into the window "Your engine should be able to handle however fast you need, but watch your suspension this course kills it and you know that Baby is gonna need a new one soon. But whatever you do, don't kill yourself okay?"

"I won't, I'm sorry if when I get back Baby might need a little work." You say as she kisses your cheek.

"Hence why we need this payout!" She yelled as she backed up to the rest of the crowd.

"Racers are you ready!?" Jinyoung yelled from off to one side, four engines roared in response, and Jinyoung nodded to Jackson who settled the crowd with his raised hands.

3

You had this you just had to get ahead of Youngjae and keep your lead. Jackson removed his snapback from his head.

2

A deep breath and the continuous roar of engines were the only thing you heard in your car. Jackson's snapback was in the air and you switched out of park into drive.

1

Driving was all you knew and you knew it well. Jackson's hands fell.

START

All four cars left behind skid marks where they were positioned as they bolted forward already trying to pass another. All that could be heard was the roaring engines, screeching tires, and the thundering crowd. You pulled ahead of Jaebum and Yugyeom easily but somehow Youngjae had managed to pull out into first.

"Damn it." You muttered as you switched gears. This was your turf, you drive this course almost everyday in all of your cars and bikes. These roads were home you know them better than Youngjae, you had to have someway to get ahead of him. You had managed to stay right behind Youngjae the whole race, at some point Yugyeom had spun out and hit a few trees with the passenger side and you just hoped your friend was okay but you had to win this race. Jaebum was close and getting closer, you needed to pull forward and the finish line was close, almost too close.

The last turn before the finish line was almost a surprise to newcomers but not to you and that was how you managed to pull in front of Youngjae. He made the mistake of taking the turn too wide out of surprise, a rookie mistake. You saw the opportunity, accelerated and took the inside of the turn, and passed Youngjae easily. You let out a yell of victory as you crossed over the finish line finally beating Youngjae and winning all the money.

Yugyeom was waiting, perfectly fine albeit a little banged up with a cold beer against his temple, with your $500 when you stepped out, though Bambam looked a little stressed at the state of their car. Jinyoung handed you the racing fees as he leaned against the hood of your car with a smile and Youngjae and Jaebum pulled up. Jaebum handed you the money with a smile as Jackson hit your shoulder, slapped Jaebum's back, and turned to check on the car. Mark said congratulations as he ran to the car Youngjae was stepping out of and raised the hood.

"Guess there really is a first time for everything, though, that first took you pretty long Shortie." Youngjae laughed as he handed over your money.

"Who you calling Shortie?" you half yelled half asked as you counted out ten thousand and gave it to Jinyoung with a smile. It was only then that anyone heard the police sirens pulling ever closer.

Suddenly the normally organized races launched into complete chaos as everyone ran to avoid getting arrested. You passed the money on to your sister as she ran for her own car, you really needed this money and she'd take a different route than everyone else, she wouldn't get caught. You tried a familiar getaway route but the police had that blocked so you tried another one, it was blocked too. Your only options were to take the route your sister had gone or get arrested. There was no way you were going to compromise that money, looks like you were getting arrested tonight.

"ing ." You muttered as you slowed the car to a stop and got out with your hands up. The cops were on you in seconds roughly pushing you onto the hood of your car and cuffing your hands behind your back.

“Hey! Watch the car! She’s worth more than you all combined!”

Forty minutes later you were sitting in a mostly empty holding cell examining your hands, still stained with grease from before the race when you were working on other racer’s cars for a little extra money. You smiled, sighed, and looked up surveying your surroundings.

The cell only had three occupants including yourself. One of which was a greying homeless man, who happened to be sleeping across from you on another bench, and the other was a rather nice old lady. You didn't know whether to be confused or fully understand why the old lady was there.

"High speed chase," she said with a giggle "I'm old and just wanted to have a little fun." You smile as you settle on the bench and five minutes later your name is called to make a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, its me."

"Oh my gosh, Y/N! Where are you? I'll go get you." You could hear you sister's keys rattle on the other end of the line and tools fall to the floor. She must of been working on her car, she does that when she’s stressed.

"No, don't! I'm fine. I'm at the police station, I ran out of options. I'll only be in here tonight it's fine." You say into the phone.

"Like hell, Mom would kill me if she knew I let you spend a night behind bars." You can hear her hood close.

"Mom would kill us both if she knew we were racing here like we did at home."

"I know, I know."

"If you absolutely have to come get me at least pick up Baby first, okay? I can spend the night behind bars but I can't have her bearing the punishment for my mistakes."

"That'll take a little while." Your sister sighs but you can hear her keys settle on something hard and metal, her toolbox most likely.

"I'll be fine there isn't anyone here I can get into any trouble with, just a homeless dude and Granny Speedracer." You laugh.

"I'll be there as soon as I can Kid."

"I'll be here Mother." You smiled and hung up the phone.

An officer comes to you back into the cell and you settle back against the corner, close your eyes, and prepare to spend the night like that, until you hear the cell door open and close, you assume it's just someone finally coming for Granny Speedracer or the police station releasing Henry The Homeless, that was until you heard Granny giggle, Henry roll over, and felt a presence settle in front of your feet.

When you open your eyes you're met with the very lovely sight of a guy around your age in fingerless gloves with brown hair and eyes, a really cute smile, and paint smudged on his cheek. Despite the very attractive face he has, his presence so close to you was a little creepy, especially since you like your personal space and he was very obviously invading it.

"Hi...?" You say as you back up further against the wall trying to gain back a little bit of your personal bubble. He must of sensed your discomfort because he gave you some more space and muttered an apology.

"Hey, sorry, its just that in all the times I've been here I don't think I've ever met you. But you don't look like this is the first time you've been in a cell, so what is it?" He asked excitedly.

"Excuse me?"

"What do you do that lands you in a cell every so often?"

"Are you serious?"

"What it's a valid question! Shoplifting? Drug dealer? Drunk driving?" he stopped, gasped, put a hand on his heart, and asked "Assassin?"

You couldn't have stopped the laugh that bubbled out of you even if you had wanted to. Wow is this dude for real? you asked yourself.

"You know I don't think I should really tell you my whole life story, I mean I don't even know your na-"

"Hoseok, Jung Hoseok." he flashed another smile and held out his hand. You smiled back as you replied and shook his hand.

"Racing." You said as you settled back into your previous position against the wall no longer minding Hoseok being in close proximity to you.

"What?"

"Racing, I race. Cars, bikes, jet skis, anything. If it has an engine and is capable of getting above 60, I can, have, or will race it."

"No way! I totally didn't take you for a racer." The shock was evident in his voice

"Excuse you, I am a fantastic racer!" You say defensively.

"No that isn't what I meant. It's just that of all the racers I've met in my life, which is surprisingly a lot, you don't come off like they did."

"Come off like how?"

"Well they always came off as pretty stuck up and rude, they own whatever they touch, and are real s. But not you, you’re actually pretty cool and down to earth.” He said and then added, “I also don't think I've ever met a racer as beautiful as you." Another smile.

By now you're blushing but still you have to ask "I couldn't have spoken to you for more than 5 minutes, how do you know all of that from the very short time we've been talking?"

"I'm psychic, yeah its a real burden." You could practically taste the sarcasm in his tone.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"You're right must be a real big burden for you seeing everything that's going to come."

"Yes, massi-. Wait, what?"

"Like this." and you hit him on the shoulder, not very hard just enough to get your point across, though that didn't stop Hoseok from acting like someone had just shot him, which honestly you thought was hilarious. The both of you were being so loud that an officer had to come warn the two of you to keep it down but the officer had to laugh too because now Hoseok was rolling around on the floor asking the officer if he could file an official assault report.

After you all had calmed down there was a lull in the conversation that was filled with a comfortable silence and the occasional bumping of shoulders. Then you had to wonder, what had Hoseok done to be arrested? So you asked.

"Street art, graffiti, whatever you feel like calling it. The piece me and my friends were working on tonight, I just couldn't leave it unfinished. I knew that I could finish it by myself just before the cops got there so I made my friends leave when I heard the sirens. I already have a record, they don't need one too." Hoseok said as he scratched the back of his neck and examined his stained hands.

"How truly noble of you. Can I be your friend? The second sirens are heard on the track, it's a free for all. I mean me, my sister, and our friends try to make sure we all get out okay but the money needs to be out before any one of us. That money is what keeps our garage going with enough left over for us not to drown in debt." You didn't know why you had confided in Hoseok but you felt it was safe to be a little less tough with him than others.

And so the rest of the night passed like it had begun with laughs and small moments of vulnerability passing between the two of you. Throughout the night people came and went in and out of the cell but in the corner you two were occupying, it was as if you were in your own little world.

"Jung Hoseok and Y/N?" You looked up "You're free to go." one look at your confused faces and the officer added, “You’ve been bailed out.”

"That was a lot faster than I was expecting." The two of you mumbled under your breath as you walked out. It was really surprising to see 16 obviously different criminals in front of the station, eight situated around fast cars just talking and laughing every now and again and the other eight had four resting against the wall and the other four were ballroom dancing with each other in the middle of the conversation their companions seemed to be having making everyone giggle every so often. You and Hoseok just stood under the entryway for a minute watching

Youngjae was the first to notice you.

"Shortie!" He ran towards you, lifted you up, and spun you around. All you could do was squeak helplessly. His outburst had taken Hoseok by surprise but caught the attention of everyone there.

"HOSEOK!"

"Y/N!"

The next few minutes were filled with hugs, hits, and probably one too many lectures for both you and Hoseok. Accidentally you and Hoseok made eye contact and for some reason you couldn't make yourself stop looking at him and then suddenly he smiled that smile and you practically melted.

"Who are you looking at?" Bambam asked you the same time Taehyung asked Hoseok and you were both forced to take your eyes off of each other.

"What?" by now everyone was staring at you expectantly.

"Who. Were. You. Staring. At?" Bambam repeated very slowly.

"Shut up I heard you"

“Well then who was it?”

You glanced over you shoulder and saw Hoseok walking towards you with his friends in tow. You almost started to panic but then he smiled and you felt calm, the kind of contentment that filled you at the sight of his smile was something you had only felt behind Baby's wheel. 'Damn that smile.' you briefly thought before Hoseok slung his arm around your shoulders and turned you towards his friends.

"Meet Y/N. Y/N meet Seokjin, Yoongi, Namjoon, Jimin, Taehyung, Kira, Jae, and Jungkook." he pointed to each of them in turn and it was so obvious they were Hoseok's group because they practically had a uniform. Paint stained shoes under paint stained pants under a paint stained hoodie under a paint stained face, and all under a very paint stained beanie or snapback. The couples that had been dancing were roughly standing togther, Kira was standing in front of Taehyung but they were holding hands and in a backhug while Jae was holding Jungkook’s hand though you could’ve sworn you had seen her dancing with Jimin.

"Hi, nice to meet you." You laughed out.

A chorus of greetings were said before you asked Hoseok a very serious question.

"Do you have a cult or just a dress code?"

"What?" Hoseok asked obviously very thrown off by your question.

"You're all wearing basically the same thing, Hoseok. It doesn't take a psychic to see that." You giggled as he looked himself and his friends over.

"Okay only a loser would ask something like that." it was his turn to laugh and avoid your hits aimed at his head.

"Now it's your turn." You said when you missed for the fifth time.

"My turn for what?" he asked but you didn't say anything, you just grabbed onto his shoulders and steered him towards your friends and sister.

"Meet Hoseok. Hoseok meet Mark, Jaebum, Jinyoung, Jackson, Youngjae, Bambam, Yugyeom, and my sister. Hoseok is my prison buddy and who I was looking at Bams." You said very innocently

"Hi, I'm Hoseok Y/N's prison buddy and the one she was looking at Bambam." he said with that stupid smile but this time you didn't miss his head. There was now a group of 16 people in front of the police station at 4 in the morning introducing themselves and laughing.

"So, we should totally get going before the police decide they want to arrest us all." you said as you fixed your hair after smacking Hoseok and Jimin's hands away from where they were playing with it. Hoseok's smile faltered only slightly but you still caught it.

"You're probably right." Your sister muttered and it was only then you saw her holding hands with Yoongi as he continued to speak with Jaebum.

"We all need to hang out again somewhere that isn't in front of a police station." Bambam said as he and Yugyeom got into their car.

"Get in." you said to the group though you looked at Hoseok, "I don't see why we should put off hanging out when we can just do it now, unless you all would rather wait but I know the garage is closed tomorrow and we don't have anything going on..." you trailed off.

"I'm in."

"Sure."

"Why not."

A chorus of agreements met your ears and you could practically feel Hoseok's smile.

"Which one is Baby?" Hoseok asked excitedly.  

"The dark gray one." You say as you get the keys from your sister.

"Wow! You...keep her...maintained well...?" Hoseok said as he was rubbing the back of his neck. You could tell he was thinking really hard and you couldn't help but giggle.

"Yeah...it's easy to do when we own a garage..."

"Right..."

"Hoseok?"

"Yeah?"

"You don't have to pretend to see anything other than a car."

"OH THANK GOD!" He looked as if a great weight had been lifted off of his shoulders.

"Get in." You laughed as Hoseok continued to say all he saw was a hunk of metal on wheels controlled by a circle and some foot buttons. As you drove off into the early morning, you’re hand was resting on the center console and without saying anything or looking at you he reached over and interlaced his paint-stained hand with your grease-stained one. You smiled, returned the pressure, and stepped on the accelerator a little harder. This could really be the start of something beautiful.