Drabble

Heated Argument

Taemin’s practicing his kanji in a children’s workbook he bought in Japan, tongue sticking out in concentration as he tries to match the elegant characters in the example.

When Kibum screams, blood curdling and tormented, Taemin flinches in surprise. The last pen acquires an upwards spike, and he frowns down at the rows of writing.

A series of hurried footsteps, heavy in their urgency, draws Taemin’s attention to his bedroom door. Kibum bursts in, a crewneck in hand.

“What have you done??” Kibum shrieks, shaking the pullover in Taemin’s face. “It’s ruined!”

Taemin had hoped his hyung wouldn’t notice the dark brown iron burn on the back. It’s not that prominent, Taemin thinks, amid the colorful design. In fact it looks good. Artistic.

“You were muttering yesterday about being the only one in the dorm who does laundry,” Taemin smiles, faint and coquettish. “I thought I’d help you out.”

Kibum gestures frantically at the arrowhead burn, mouth opening and closing in frustration. When he finally finds the words, his voice is uneven. “This…is from the 2015 Armici summer collection. The designer sent it to me as a gift two months before its release! Two months! Before release! I haven’t even worn it yet!”

Taemin blinks up at the wailing Kibum, whose knuckles are white as he clenches the garment to his chest.

“Forget it,” Kibum moans as he turns to tread slowly away. “It’s ruined, ruined…I have to wait two more months…”

The door clicks shut behind Kibum, and Taemin redirects his focus to the page of Japanese in front of him.