Chapter 1

Klexos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The whistling sound of the tea kettle filled the kitchen as I sat at the breakfast table. It was a small room, just barely big enough for two people to move around in, not to mention the table taking up space. It was cramped, but it was the best one bedroom apartment I could afford at the moment. Besides, I was never one for living in big, open spaces. It just felt lonely to me without someone there to share it with. Thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about that. Joshua was usually over when he didn’t have classes at the nearby college.

“Here, this should help.” I heard him say as he placed a steaming cup of tea in front of me. Looking up, I attempted a smile that really was just more of a quirk of my lips. He still looked worried. I wished I could get rid of that expression, but I honestly looked a mess. Before he had gotten here, I took a quick look in the mirror to find that I honestly looked like a hag. Not that I didn’t always in the morning, but today it was worse than usual.

“Thank you.” I murmured, picking the cup up with both hands and bringing it to my lips to blow on it so that it cooled down. He nodded with a warm smile and took a seat next to me.

“Ran, are you sure you’re okay?” He asked after a few moments of silence. I told myself not to look at him. If I looked at him, I’d tell him everything, and I wasn’t ready to do that. If I told him that the real reason why I kept having nightmares was that my whole town was slaughtered by vampires when I was younger, he’d surely think I was insane.

But I did look at him. I was always looking at him. No matter how much I stared, I could never get enough of Joshua. From his perfectly dyed red-orange hair to his mocha brown eyes that crinkled at the corners when he smiled or laughed, I never got tired of it. “I’m fine now, Joshua, honestly.” I said, nodding in what I hoped was a firm way. A doubtful look was sent my way.

“If you say so.” His eyebrows furrowed slightly in concern. I could tell he wanted to argue, but it was too early in the morning to be debating whether or not I was fine. Quiet fell once more as I sipped at my tea, feeling the warmth spread throughout me.

“You always make the best tea.” I murmured distantly, missing the fond smile that he sent in my direction.

“Things made with love tend to be pretty good, yeah.” He said with a grin. I snorted, rolling my eyes at his words. He was so cheesy, he always had been. From the moment I met him, he had been ridiculously cheesy. Friendly, too. I had barely even talked to him for an hour before he was telling me that I could call him by a name different from his given one.

(“Calling me Jisoo is like calling me a stranger. We’re friends now, so call me Joshua.”)

“You’re so lame.” I said with a slight laugh, nudging his shoulder with mine. I could already feel my spirits begin to lift. He was always able to make me feel better no matter what. It had always been like that. Even before we started dating, he could make everything alright again when things went wrong. He was an angel, as cheesy as that sounds. “Lamer.” I chuckled, feeling my smile become genuine instead of forced.

“Yeah, but I’m your la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter