Fallback

Maybe Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The cans were already collecting dust when Nayeon trudged away from the murky room. Pitter-patter of rain was heard as wonderful and soothing lullabies play in the background. Nayeon held a tight grip around the stool bar and slowly felt herself shrinking. She felt a tad bit of pain in the pit of her stomach and seems to have a wild growling animal. Her morning started just as worst as how this night will be ended. Nayeon felt a numbing sensation, teeth chattering occasionally because her cringe-worthy sweater damped with alcoholic spoor isn’t enough to cover her skinny body from the cold breeze. The room was painted by the dispersion of stained glass spraying it with a hue, ice blue circle Styrofoam. “Stop it with your fake snow.” Nayeon whacked the offensive tiny circles on her clothes and glared at the beaming Tzuyu. “That’s not the way you should be talking to the person who you just vomited to and called in an ungodly hour.” Tzuyu muttered. Nayeon’s face fell dark. “Did I do it again?” Nayeon bellowed. “Very much.” Nayeon stood across her bed and faced the mirror—which seems to be her archenemy. She wore clothes like she’d be going at a Goth party. Smudged makeup. Her lips were tainted black and if it wasn’t for her pale moon face then she must have camouflage in the dark probably losing herself. Tzuyu’s eyes softened as she threw away the bottle of fake snow in the trash bin. “Hey, don’t be too hard on yourself.” Nayeon gave a smile. “I’ll try not to.” Now holding a glass of water, Tzuyu peered out of the window. The sun is now rising and she had to leave.             Nayeon grumbled. “Already leaving?” Tzuyu took off her jacket and complacently pulled it to Nayeon. Nayeon threw her a pout. Tzuyu juggled her keys, hesitated, then leaned forward to ruffle Nayeon’s hair. “Silly girl, work’s waiting on me. Take care of yourself, okay?” The door swung open at once and Nayeon caught herself staring at it. She plugged her earphones and started listening to Tom Misch’s indie songs and threw her head in the cushion. Her hands remained flat on her belly. She can do this for a whole day.

 

∞∞∞

 

It was an evening on which Sana had met with Dahyun for the research work and had gotten a slim chance that a job would come by. “Pretty sure that book store’s looking for new attendants.” Dahyun said. Once bus away and there she is in front of the book store. Sana pulled the door wide. How she was accepted trice is something she would really have to thank for. Though she remembered Dahyun saying, “You’d be accepted in no time. People love smiles.” The manager told her all she need to do is sort out and align the books. Best thing is: in idle moments she could sneak in the stockroom and read books and magazines. Not like she’s really a fan of those. Her allowance isn’t really that much, but it would be able to suffice at least her food budget. At the very least, she could leave the transportation fees because walking from Myoui’s residence to her school isn’t that far. She had met cool people in the store, but depended on two the most. Minjun was a quaint guy with broad shoulders and muscular body. He’s at least five years older than Sana. Sometimes his wonderful voice while singing a trendy song would linger in the background and Sana would catch herself listening and zoning out. Then there’s Momo who likes to eat food every chance she gets. At first sight, she’s filled with glamor then the very next second she acts foolish and acute dumb. They were of the same age and the youngest in the book store. She had nothing to worry about. Everything was going beautifully and in a year she could finally move out with her father. Well, she hopes so. “Hey Sana!” Sana jerked awake, knocking the book in her lap onto the floor. “Kid, had a rough day?” Minjun murmured. Her eyes blinked against the lights. Sana’s shoulders slumped back in relief. “You scared me.” “Thought it was somebody else?” Minjun smiled. “What? No, it’s not even five o’clock.” Minjun gave a laugh then smacked Sana’s head with a book in jest.  “Thought you had a day off. Good thing I had to return this book and saw you here,” He points to a clock just behind him. “It’s 5:42 by the way.” “I fell asleep.” “Yeh.” His tone was almost like a mockery but was immediately wiped away with an understanding smile. While Minjun was toiling heavy books from the stand, Sana cut the silence. “Do you need help with that?” “Naw. Go home now.” “Oh.. right… err.. I should head home.” Sana said diffidently. “Take care.” Sana nodded absently and gingerly placed the book from the ground to the stand. Through the dusty window of the bus Sana watched the lights of the buildings and hotels of the city collapsed in a slow dance of integration. Late night musings were crowding inside her head. When Sana marched in the Myoui’s residence, she lay huddled on her bed. Already exhausted from a day of work. Oddly enough, Sana’s known to have a low stamina. A quick shower would do.

 

∞∞∞

 

Mina laid atop her chair reading two words in her head for a full blown minute. Emergency meeting. Technology is dramatically developing and then a teenager uses primitive language. The screen dimmed a millisecond, then a light illuminated from her phone. +Can’t you not just say it via chat? Chaeyoung replied. +It needs to be said personally. Tomorrow after class. Tzuyu replied. Mina brushed her fingertips from the wooden table back to her blank canvas. Mina lightly squeezed the paint tube and applied a small amount on her palette then dipped her paint brush. With a silent sigh, Mina studied the canvas. All she could muster to do right now is gloom. It was as if her painting was made to endorse loneliness.   Suddenly there’s a bird chirping. Or a rustling. It evokes a minute mellow sound that echoed in the air. She shrugged it off, but it didn’t waver her curiosity. She placed down her paintbrush and wiped her hands with a clean tissue. Slowly, Mina tiptoed hoofing on the threshold. She placed her ear on the door listening to the soothing muffled voice. It certainly isn’t just a bird it was somebody. Mina was ready to turn back, but betrayed herself. Even though she didn’t know the song Sana was sin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter