Fourteenth Hour

Our Time Together

"So what made you want to eat lunch with Joy?" 

Seulgi looked like she was about to growl at Joshua. The only boy only showed a bright grin before giving himself a bite out of the sandwich he bought in the canteen. Honestly, the three girls were shocked when they saw Joshua and Joy conversing. It was obvious that Joy wasn't comfortable though. Knowing her, Joshua asked if he could join her for lunch and she couldn't say no to Sungjae's friend. 

"That's rather rude, Seulgi," Joshua said, pretending to be hurt," After everything we went through in our freshman year?" 

"What? What did we go through?" Seulgi raised an eyebrow before shaking her head. "If you have any unpleasant plans with Joy, I advise you to just stay away."

"Do you really think I'm that kind of person, Seulgi? I am offended," Joshua sarcastically said before laughing," You're overprotective when it comes to Joy."

"Because she's an idiot," Irene bluntly said, earning a smack from Joy. "Ow, it's true though. Who would fall for someone like Yook Sungjae anyway?"

"A lot of girls, you know," Joshua muttered," But they're irrevelant. I'm cheering you on, Joy. I approve of you!"

"I don't need your approval," Joy mumbled while she was pouting," It's not important if he doesn't approve."

"Also, I was hoping it would be just the two of us," Joshua sighed. "At least I have a harem of my own."

"You wish," Irene scoffed before she pulled Yeri's arm towards her," Let's go elsewhere. I don't want to eat here. I'm losing my apetite."

"But, Irene," Yeri wanted to stop her but Irene suddenly winked at her. Was she planning something? Yeri glanced at Seulgi and saw a smirk on her face. Joy, on the other hand, wasn't looking at them at all. She was just talking while eating. She felt awkward being with Joshua like that after all. Aside from that, Joshua's knees were touching hers and that was too close for her. Yeri then looked at Joshua and saw him wink at Seulgi. 

"Sheesh, alright," Yeri sighed," Sorry, Joy. Irene's stubborn, you see." 

After the pair left, the student council suddenly called for Seulgi. She apologized countless of times to Joy before threatening Joshua. And that was the time that Joy was afraid to come. She raised her head and met eyes-to-eyes with Joshua.

"I'm sure you want to return to your classroom," Joy mumbled. Joshua raised his eyebrows before chuckling. 

"I asked you to lunch because I wanted to be alone with you, Joy," Joshua confessed," I want to know you more. I mean, we were never classmates, right?"

 

"Are you okay, Sungjae?" Chorong asked. Sungjae blinked a few times before slowly nodding. 

"Yeah? Do I look not okay, Chorong?" He asked. She stared at his face for a few more minutes before shrugging. 

"For me, you don't look okay. Something bothering you? You want to stop for now? I think I'm stressing you out," she offered. He shook his head before looking again at the formulas on the notebook. 

"No, Chorong, this is nothing. You're not a bother," Sungjae told her. Chorong stared at him a bit more, not believing a word he was telling her. But she had no choice, right? Sungjae will never tell her if something was bothering him. 

"Uh, Chorong," Sungjae inhaled," I have a question."

"Huh? That's new," she looked surprised," You don't usually ask me anything, except if it concerned PE."

"Well," Sungjae bit his lower lip, doubting himself if he should ask her. 

"Shoot me the question," Chorong told him," Is it personal?"

"Not really," Sungjae scratched the back of his head. He shook his head before smiling at her. "Nevermind. It's nothing, really. I thought of a solution."

"A solution?" Chorong tilted her head. Sungjae only smiled at her and showed her the notebook. He didn't answer any of the personal questions Chorong asked her. He only continued teaching her and preparing her for the tests. He was sure he could finish this before the bell rings. If he did finish it, he didn't have to review Chorong during the dismissal and that's when he'll face this weird feeling he had been having for a few minutes already. 

"A solution to a minor problem. I just needed the right formula for it and it just became simple."

 

"It's nice talking to you, Joy," Joshua smiled at her. Joy slowly nodded, still feeling conscious. 

"I didn't expect we'll be, you know, knowing each other like this," Joy whispered to herself," but you never told me the reason why you asked me to lunch."

"Well, wanting to know you more is an enough reason, right?" Joshua said without second thoughts. Joy became flustered before she shook her head. 

"I also thought you looked kind of lonely without Sungjae. I know I can't replace him but at least you have better company. I admit I'm more charismatic than that guy," Joshua boasted. Joy could only laugh. 

"I admit I got to talk to you more than I ever talked to Sungjae though. You're easy to talk to," she told him. Joshua patted her back and grinned at her. 

"Thanks," Joshua noticed he was nearing his classroom," Let's do this again, Joy?"

Joy nodded at him with a smile on her face. 

"Sure. I'd love to."

 

"Hey, Josh," Sungjae faced Joshua when he sat on his seat," What were you doing with Joy?"

"Does it really concern you, Sungjae?" Joshua had a playful smile on his face. "I mean, you were having some sweet time with Chorong."

"I was tutoring her," Sungjae cleared that out," Are you really teasing me now?"

"I always tease you, you know," Joshua snickered," Perhaps, were you jealous?"

"Jealous?"

"You know! Jealous!" Joshua clapped his hands. "I mean, I was alone with Joy. I asked her out."

"I wasn't," Sungjae insisted," Why would I be?"

"Because you like her?" 

"Shut up," Sungjae rolled his eyes," I don't like Joy more than a friend. We're just friends."

"Then you'll be fine if I steal her away?" Joshua asked," Or if any other guy does?" 

"Yeah," Sungjae answered with no second thoughts," But she did say she likes me, so I don't know how you'll make her fall. I did nothing and she fell for me."

"You're really pathetic, aren't you, Yook Sungjae?" Joshua whispered to himself, without Sungjae hearing it," God help Joy with this boy."

 

When dismissal arrived, Joy immediately raced towards Wendy's classroom. She didn't hate Joshua's company but it felt unnatural for him to approach her. They've known each other since middle school. Why didn't he approach her back then? They're going to graduate high school soon, so why now? She knew Wendy could never answer her questions but she thought if she was with Wendy, Joshua wouldn't approach them. She hoped Joshua wouldn't talk to Jongdae just to take Wendy away from her. 

"Well, you're early," Wendy commented when she finally went to her room's door," Did something happen? I saw you with that Joshua guy."

"Yeah, he was with me," Joy twitched," It was weird. I knew him because of our mutual friends but we never really talked before."

"It is weird," Wendy looked up," Maybe he has some kind of motive, since you know, you like a close friend of his. He's putting you to the test or something. I wouldn't know. I never knew him personally. Actually, I think we never talked before so I wouldn't know. Why don't you ask Sungjae?"

"I can't! I can't even casually start a conversation..." Joy's voice drifted off before she looked at Wendy again," He might not even care since he was with Chorong that time."

"Because of your silly doubts, you will not be the victor of your love story!" Wendy almost shouted. Joy slightly panicked, looking around to see if anyone heard her. Lucky for her, no one even cared about their little conversation. 

"Wendy, you do know it's difficult for me. You understand me the best," Joy held her best friend's hands," I guess I'll just ask him if we get the chance to talk again. I'm sure he's busy with Chorong for now."

"I'll seriously beat up that Yook Sungjae if he continues to lead you on," Wendy made a fist. Joy laughed. 

"He's not leading me on. I'm the one who continues to hope for something to change," she told her. 

"Park Sooyoung!" A familiar voice called out. Joy froze on her spot while Wendy looked at who was calling her. She snickered before forcing Joy to look at the direction where the voice was coming from. Joy couldn't force herself to look up. She felt nervous. Her heart was beating so fast. Why now? Why when their topic changed to him? She felt two hands holding her cheeks and making her look up. 

"Yook Sungjae," were the only words she could say at that moment.