Fifth Step: Hello

Just One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunggyu was sitting at a table in the usual small stall where he and his brother ate at, daydreaming. He was so out of it, that he had missed his younger brother sliding into the chair across from him. “Big brother Sunggyu,” the lad started, as he observed Sunggyu closely he noticed something was strange. “What’s wrong with him? Hey big brother,” he called, except this time he clapped his hands together before the older, bringing him back to reality.

Annoyed, Sunggyu in his breath, “What, what is it?”

The younger scoffed, “What is it? Big brother, are you okay? It looked like you were dreaming or something,”

“Ah….It’s nothing,” Sunggyu lied.

“Sure, you’re not a good liar big brother,”

“So what? It’s none of your business anyway,” Sunggyu countered.

The younger sighed, “Big brother, remember when you asked about that lady?”

“What lady?”

“Soojung,” the younger said.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well,” the younger blushed and pulled back, “I’m seeing her again,”

Sunggyu nodded and sighed, “Hey you, when are you going to learn? Didn’t you say she scam all of your money?”

The face on the younger’s was to die for afterward, as he wore a hurt impression, “Why? You were asking about her last time so I thought maybe you would be fine with it? I even showed her to you,”

“That’s only because I thought she was another Soojung I knew,” Sunggyu said.

“Oh! Who is it? It’s rare for you to know another woman, who is this woman?” the younger asked nosily, dropping the topic of his own Soojung.

“Just someone I met,” Sunggyu said before wearing a serious face, “why do you ask? You should worry about the woman you said took everything from you last time,”

“I misjudged her big brother, she said she really needed the money but when she mistreated me, it was only because she still loved me. She thought if she spread ill rumor about me then no girls would want me, that way she can have me,”

Sunggyu sighed in disbelief, “You bought that?”

“Hey big brother, let me tell you something from my experiences with women. There are no good women out there, women are greedy and only want two things. Money or a man. So just snatch whichever woman is obsessed with you, that way she’ll only know you.”

Sunggyu his breath in and hit his younger brother on the head with his knuckles, “You rascal just study will you?” His brother pulled back, annoyed and in pain.

“Ah, big brother! Seriously that hurt!”

Soojung looked at the counter where she had laid out the only six potatoes she got from Sunggyu’s grandmother. Everything in the house was taken, except for the small items. Soojung picked up a pot that had been dropped onto the ground and started to boil water in it. The sun was already high up in the sky, yet she was only having breakfast. Right when she thought she was all alone, she heard a familiar voice outside her doors. Soojung turned off the stove and head out, where she saw her mother and uncle.

“M-mom,” the word stuck in . Her mother looked healthier compared to when she was still living under the same roof as Soojung and her father. As she took a step forward the lady approached her and grabbed onto her wrist.

“Soojung come with me,”

“W-where are you going, mom? Dad isn’t here,”

“We don’t need him, come with me. We’re going to your grandparents.” Soojung couldn’t resist the older woman as she pulled Soojung after her, “Big brother let’s go,” her mother said to her uncle. The man placed a hand on Soojung’s back and guide the two to his car. Soojung sat in the back while her uncle drove and her mother sat in shotgun. As they drove by the bus stop, Soojung watched how dead the waiting area was. She didn’t get her chance to say goodbye to Sunggyu, but somewhere in her, she thought it would be alright. After all, they were still strangers. However, something also pulled at her heartstrings and made her uncomfortable.

Before they could get any farther, Soojung convinced her uncle and mother to pull over for a moment. Where she ran back to the bus stop and glanced at the ground for a chalk. To her luck, she found the last one, nearly done for. Soojung grabbed it and quickly wrote over their old writings th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter