|| FINAL

Reaching for You

// FINAL


 

The free sessions weren't necessarily Min Yoongi's cup of tea, but he had to admit - it was nice to laze around in the school library with the ambiance of murmuring voices as the younger percentage of the school dashed around outside, moving from class to class as time passed by.

Mondays weren't exactly Yoongi's favourite either. Actually, they were his least liked day of the week. Waking up early after a lazy weekend and then going through a combination of math, history, literature and science all in one day was practically torture, and it was only the last 2 hours of school that he could "relax".

The pink haired boy lay on a sofa, leisurely flipping through a random magazine that someone hadn't put back. His friends were out, so he was pretty much alone. The area in which he was in was only occupied by him. From his position on the piece of furniture, he could see bookshelves all around him and a few glimpses of some students' backs in the quiet study cubicles. In short, he was bored. Really bored.

 

Park Jimin sat on a table together with his friends; Jungkook and Taehyung. The three boys were determined to finish their group project that was actually due this morning. As expected, they had gotten in trouble for it, but were allowed until the end of the day to hand it in. Jungkook groaned as Taehyung once again nodded off to sleep. Jimin laughed. He wasn't really dead set on finishing the poster quickly since they were already fourth fifths done and there was a while until school ended so he prefered to joke around instead of finishing work.

Double free sessions were definitely Jimin's favourite. He was able to hang out with his friends and read the occasional novels and manga, so the subjects that they had on Monday weren't half-bad considering the free time that they got.

"No, Taehyung, you've got it all wrong," Jungkook moaned, rolling his eyes tiredly as he explained the concept to the brown haired elder for the umpteenth time as the said elder complained.

Jimin lay his head on the table, using his forearms as headrests. The voices of the two younger classmates that also occupied the circular table gradually  drowned into murmurs as Jimin focused his senses elsewhere. His eyes caught on to a group of girls huddled in a corner. Gossiping, it seemed. He frowned a bit but kept looking around since he wouldn't be able to hear the girls even if he tried. There was a bookshelf that stood in the way of his exploring but he squinted to see inbetween the shelves. He saw that the study cubicles were filled. It was expected, since exams were coming soon and the upperclassmen were obviously worried about their grades.

Jimin looked to the reading area. A rose haired boy lay on the sofa, casually flipping through a fashion magazine. Jimin blushed. It was Min Yoongi, the object of his shy love for about 3 years.. Min Yoongi was the name that made Jimin's heart palpitate, but Jimin didn't recall ever actually having a conversation with him. Sad.

Jimin snorted when he saw that Yoongi pose made him look like a woman in her forties, but continued to watch the strange boy. The boy was yawning - out of exhaustion or boredom, Jimin didn't know. Jimin smiled when he saw the boy flip the last page of the magazine, therefore finishing it and throwing it on the floor and pouting. Cute.

"Jiminnie hyung," Jungkook said, poking Jimin and lifting him out of his daydream, or small exploration, "Can you get a book for me? I need it to explain the concept further to this useless blob of flesh over here." Jungkook's face twisted in distaste as he glared at a snoring Taehyung. The boy handed Jimin a reference code and proceeded to tickle the poor sleeping boy in the waist. Jimin smiled and stood up. "Sure," he said, not bothering to ask Jungkook why he wouldn't just get the book himself because he knew that the cute, raven haired kid had a thriving crush on the strange, 4D alien.

 

Yoongi gazed at the carpeted floor. Gray. Like his life right now. "I could write a whole song about this to be honest," he mumbled, swinging his hand to and fro. So boring. He'd usually be hanging around Hoseok right now, and just his presence was entertaining enough, but guess what? The damned horse boy was at home being sick.

Yoongi looked around him. "What to do...what to do..." he hummed, scanning his surroudings. Well one thing was definitely around him. Books. Yoongi wasn't a big reader. Everyone knew that, but in this situation, even reading would satisfy him. He lazily stood up and blindly walked to the fiction area.

 

Jimin approached the manga and manhwa shelves. He'd already grabbed Jungkook's desired book, and decided to go find some other books to read while the two youngers argued. Jimin walked slowly, browsing the lower shelves before looking up. His eyes widened and sparkled.

On the highest shelf was the book that he was destined to obtain. It was the manga that he'd started reading sometime last year but couldn't be bothered waiting for the last volume. And now that it was right in front of him, the plot flooded back into his head and his determination to grab it was stronger than ever before. But it wasn't rocket science that Jimin was way too short. Despite that, he leaned in and stood up as much as his foot would allow. The excruciating centimetres that kept his hands from the book brought him pain and he stood back on the full span of his feet. Jimin puffed out his cheeks and frowned. Second try.

 

Yoongi looked around the shelves. He couldn't see anything that he was particularly interested in. It was sad, really. A whole hour left until school ended and he really didn't see anything that especially caught his eye. His pace slowed as he slid his fingers on the book spines and the occasional drumming on the shelf. He turned right, turning into another line of shelves and it took him a few moments to make sense of the scene in front of him.

Park Jimin, the class rep was standing tip toed and arm outstretched trying to reach a book on the top shelf. It would be a lie to say that the pink haired boy didn't find the whole scene amusing. Park Jimin was his long time crush, although he'd never admit it. Him with a sunny guy like Jimin? It wouldn't work out. Funny, isn't it? He had noticed the black, red haired boy as soon as he'd walked into the class four years ago. As it was, he was a transfer student, moving school because of the general change of father's job thing. Love at first sight? Yoongi wouldn't admit to something as stupid as that.

Damn it. You look so cute and helpless trying to reach that book, Jimin.

He stood in silence for a few more moments, inwardly laughing at the poor boy's failed attempted to try to reach the book that he seemed to want so bad. The whole sight was cute. After a few more seconds, he began to feel guilty. Jimin would probably give up sooner or later, but he seemed like he wanted that book real bad. And maybe he'd score some attention from the younger. That'd be cool.

Yoongi stepped over.

 

"Here - let me help," said a voice from behind.

A startled Jimin froze and tried to turn around, but a tad too late because before he could, he felt a firm but soft board like structure push against his back. There was as arm on his shoulder, presumably the person's left hand, and another hand was extended to where his arm was only seconds ago. The person inched in closer, pushing Jimin further into the shelves and subtracting their distance to a clean 0.

As expected by now, Jimin's face was a beet red. He could feel his nape and ears turning red by the moment and he couldn't do anything about it. He withstood the tight space for about another twelve second before the tension released and he exhaled the breath that he didn't even know that he had held in.

Jimin turned around quickly, wanting to see the person's face and his face turned even redder when he saw that it was non other than Min Yoongi.

Jimin choked mentally.

 

"Here you go," Yoongi said, pushing the book into the boy's chest. He looked down at the red faced boy who was looking at the ground and slowly turned red himself. "Uh...you're welcome I guess," he said, scratching his neck and averting his eyes slightly.

"Thank you," Jimin squeaked. Earning a blush and a small "It's cool" from the pink haired elder.

Oh no ... don' t be embarassed

The two boys blushed and stood in silence.

"Ah... this is embarassing," Jimin smiled, bringing his palms to his cheeks in an attempt to cool them down.

"No... it's alright," Yoongi mumbled, trying his best to avoid any eye contact with the other in danger of his face getting even more redder, but his curiosity got the best of him.

Oh my god don't blush like that you're killing me and now I'm blushing too oh god please.

"Say something, Yoongi come on," Yoongi urged himself. The silence drew on long enough, and the two were just standing awkwardly. "Think of something...to...say..." The silence became painful.

"UhIlikeyou," Yoongi blurted, then brought his hand to his mouth in a panic.

I DID. NOT. just say that

Jimin looked up, eyes wide. "E-excuse me?"

"I - I mean - nothing" Yoongi squeaked.

"Did you just--" Jimin started but his mouth was clamped by Yoongi's hand. "No I didn't" he said, face furiously red. But Jimin released himself from the hold.

"--say that you like me?"

"I --- no - I mean -- yeah -- no -- I mean -- yes, no -- ughhhh," Yoongi looked away and stepped backward. "I'm sorry -- I'm creepy --  I'm sorry I'll go now."

Jimin grabbed Yoongi's hand before he could escape. Just like a scene out of a anime.

"I like you too!" Jimin said, eyes wide and cheeks blushing.

Yoongi turned around, his usually pale skin now completely red and his legs numb, "What?"

"Yeah!"

They both shared relieved, gummy smiles