Cont.

Our Times

Super short update, hope you enjoy it!


 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Y-yes, yes, I am.” Mark grimaced at his own stutter, staring meaningfully at Jackson.

“.. Someone very important to me once told me, if someone says they are alright, it means they are not. Maybe I should bring you to the doctor’s.”

Jackson’s voice was lower than Mark could remember, quieter and smooth, like the years passed have settled him down, and there was a small smile playing at his lips.

It was just like Mark to keep quiet long enough to make anyone feel awkward before a soft “Maybe you should” slipped out. Jackson smiled fondly at that, making small bows to Mark’s friends as they make googly eyes at Mark, ushering him to just go, even if they have no idea who Jackson was.

-

They ended up in a cozy coffee house nearby. Mark was thoughtful as he watched Jackson made their orders at the counter. Jackson had offered to drive them to where they were now, closed and opened the car door for the brunette, held the coffee house’s door and made their orders. It almost did not feel like Jackson due to the fresh replay of memories thanks to the movie earlier, almost mocking since he could feel the difference so much.

“What’s with that half smile half grimace? …You’re still the same, aren’t you?”

Jackson mumbled, still the same fond smile on his face as he watched Mark’s eyes went wide in startle and then a little frantic before settling and focusing on the food tray Jackson had brought over, a grin immediately threatened to break his face as he scanned and spotted the chocolate cake and strawberry shake, then the chips and carbonated juice.

“And I see your food choices hasn’t kept up with your gentlemanly ways.” Mark commented before eyes went wider with realization at what he had said out loud.

He was rewarded with Jackson’s laugh though, thankfully.

“You think I’m a gentleman, Mark?” Jackson’s eyes twinkled with mischief, a glimmer of what seemed like anticipation entangled within.

“Who else holds doors, Jackson?” Mark’s sarcasm came back easily along with the comfort of being near Jackson again after hearing his name being uttered in that same tone, hands already busy setting food on the table.

“Well… It is you afterall.”