High Voltage!

No Trespassing!

A/N: Once again, thanks for supporting :p Hope you enjoy~

 

3. High Voltage!

 

Eloped? At first, Jaebum thought he had heard her incorrectly. It just seemed like such an odd notion these days, with everyone wanting their lavish weddings and formal engagements, and besides, Hyejin was twenty-two, so why would she be in any particular hurry? Even if she hadn't told his mother, she would have at least told him

 

But then, little things began to click inside of his head. The finality of how she'd said goodbye the night before, the fact that she'd needed him to be surprised by her mode of breaking up, but most of all, the fact that she said she'd found away to make herself the indisputable villain in everyone's eyes. Everyone had excused her of everything for all her life, because all her episodes had happened off screen and with other people, so it was easier to imagine Jaebum instigating and small, pretty Hyejin tagging along. But there really was one thing they would never be able to look over, and that was Jaebum being the one hurt, right in front of their eyes.

 

He blinked, quickly remembering that he needed to be hurt instead of whatever it was he was feeling now-- happy for her, but at the same time terrified at how thoroughly she had set herself free.

 

Jaebum forced a slightly condescending smile. “Eloped? How could she? I'm right here, mother, she can't elope without me.”

 

His mother winced, and he had to hold himself back from going to comfort her. “She... she...” She shook her head, ing Hyejin's letter into his hands. “I don't want you have to read this any more than I want to tell you myself. But... I can't hide this from you. Oh, I should have never insisted... God help me for ever desiring the two of you together.”

 

Jaebum unfolded the letter. Dear Mr. and Mrs. Im, he read, I know you have asked me to call you mother and father with how things stand with Jaebum and I, but I can't. When you read this letter, you'll know that things aren't standing properly, and they never really did. Your son is a dear person, and you have been dear to me as well. But my appreciation for him is just that. Or maybe it's a little different. I never meant him to be, but he's always been my whipping boy. The one who dumped a caterpillar down Kwak Yoonju's shirt? That was me. Revenge for her scribbling in crayon on my library book and getting me in trouble. The one who came up with the idea of skipping school during physical examination day? Me. The one who paid for Jaebum's piercings and told him to get them in the first place? The person who was responsible for all the iljins roaming our neighborhood to pay a certain someone back for the kicking they received? Me. Always me.

 

I told my parents and you these things as they happened, but Jaebum was always punished, because I was a princess and princesses aren't at fault, and if they are, its the whipping boy who takes it for them. I hated it. I always thought one day I'd do something so bad and obvious that all of you would have to blame me for it, but no one ever did.  That side of me was never acknowledged, and even I wondered if there was a point to it existing if I was going to live my life as a business woman in designer suits no matter what I did or who I was on the inside. So I tried living that life around my parents. I tried down to the last detail, but I never felt it in my heart. It's not like I'm some person who needs to go around beating delinquents up or causing trouble, I think now all of those things were just stupid ways of rebelling, but the truth of the matter is that none of the things my family wanted for me were things I wanted for myself.

 

I, Kang Hyejin, dye my hair, wear fashions that would make my mother's blood boil, am for every progressive social issue my parents are adamantly against, and most of all, I want to be a writer, not an insurance agent. I am in love with an artist named Hong Yugchul, who my parents also hate. I am sorry to the two of you and to my parents and most of all to Jaebum for having put up with so much because of me and having looked after me all the same, but I can't keep trying to make this fantasy life work for me. Jaebum deserves better. He deserves both shares of Kang Im and not have to share it with someone who wants a completely different life. He doesn't need me to be happy. And you may not believe this now, but I don't think he ever did or ever will.

 

I sent a letter to my parents in Japan to tell them I have left and am marrying Yungchul as I have long dreamed of doing. I do not deserve anyone's forgiveness, and will not ask for it. One day I hope they will be able to visit Hong Hyejin, the real Hyejin, and be able to acknowledge her as their daughter, but until that day can come, I will keep my distance from those who will not wish to see me but pray you will always be happy and allow to Jaebum to live freely and as no one's whipping boy. He has done nothing wrong. This is all my fault. Thank you for your kindness, and I am sorry I did not return it better.

 

Love, Hyejin

 

 

Jaebum folded the letter solemnly, now unsure more than ever which emotions to show. Beside him, Youngjae squeezed his hand, his own little secret the world was in no hurry to accept, and in that moment he knew, even as broken hearted as he was supposed to be, he could not condemn her.

 

It's okay, mother,” he said quietly, handing the letter back to her. “I've known the real Hyejin for longer than anyone, and I didn't really think she'd be able to stay with me. I always took her punishments, after all. I never really ever tried to make you see who she was, or why she was like that in the first place. It makes sense that she would love somebody else other than me.”

 

Jaebum!”

 

And... it's better to know she feels this way now. Better for everyone.”

 

Oh, my son, how can you say that? She toyed with you... tricked all of us into thinking of her a certain way! And now she's exposed herself like this... like this, running away and eloping with god-knows-who when she said she loved you, how could she? Her father raised her to help take over the company, sent her to the best schools and gave her the best of everything, and this is how she thanks him? How could she do this to them, to you, to us?”

 

She didn't do this to them in the end. She did this for herself. Out loud, he didn't say anything. He could understand his mother's disappointment even though it was self-inflicted in a way, from not seeing Hyejin clearly for so many years.

 

His mother reached over and his head. “You always show such a brave face, but how hurt you must be! Another man? The nerve of that girl! As if another man could ever be superior to our Jaebummie! She has no idea just what she's throwing away! Well, you'll just have to go on and become more and more successful and show her, won't you? You haven't always been the most clever boy, but you are now, and you'll run Kang Im like a true professional when your day comes. We'll see how she feels then.”

 

Probably the same as she does now, Jaebum thought.

 

I need to have a chat with her mother about this horrible, horrible news,” Mrs. Im said, squeezing Hyejin's letter tightly in her fist. “Youngjae... you will be a dear and...” She made an obscure gesture, probably indicating for him to look after Jaebum.

 

Of course,” Youngjae said quickly.

 

When his mother left the room, Jaebum exhaled sharply. “She calls this a 'bad girl caper'? It seems to me like she wanted to run away in a way that would make everyone hate her the most.” 

 

I think noona may have felt guilty that they didn't hate her all those years before,” Youngjae said, resting his chin on Jaebum's shoulder. “And if they forgive her for doing this one day, for doing her worst, then she can be really sure they've accepted her.”

 

You're right. Still, I don't really want to hear what they'll say about her now.”

 

Yeah.” Youngjae closed his eyes. “I wonder if they'll be like this over us one day.”

 

Jaebum started in surprise. That thought had always been in the back of his mind, but he hadn't known Youngjae had been particularly concerned about it, especially with how happy he'd been lately.

 

If I get to her point of not being able to handle keeping the secret anymore, and you do too, we'll tell them,” Jaebum said firmly. “And if they can't take it, I'll still love you and will still take care of you. The end.”

 

Even if they're as disappointed in you as they are with her?”

 

Even then.”

 

You've known me for a year, but you've known them your whole life. You'll still pick me?”

 

As long as my heart loves Choi Youngjae number one, there's no way I'm throwing you away for anything, okay?”

 

Youngjae hid his face against Jaebum's shoulder and Jaebum could feel his lips smiling against his skin. “So I just have to do my best to stay number one?”

 

I don't think it will be too hard.”

 

And if we both decide its better to keep it a secret?” His voice lowered. “Noona was so upset about having to lie, but...”

 

I don't think being dishonest is such a bad thing,” Jaebum said, reaching around to hold Youngjae by his waist. “If it's to protect your happiness.”

 

Yes.” He looked up at Jaebum again, the smile returned to his expression. “Let's just make sure the process of showing Hyejin who's the most successful doesn't involve finding you a superior girlfriend on your mother's part.”

 

She'll have to allow me time to get over my broken heart, right?”

 

Not if you keep on acting like what Hyejin noona did is no big deal to you.”

 

Jaebum frowned. He didn't want to throw Hyejin under the bus, but Youngjae made a point.

 

Guess I'll have to stay all day in my room pouting.”

 

Should I keep you company?”

 

Jaebum tugged him down by his waist, holding him close to his chest. “I think I can live with that.” 

 

 

0

 

Under the guise of mourning, Jaebum spent most of the day in his room, with Youngjae leaving now and again to report his status to Mrs. Im and get him food and drinks. According to him, the Kangs were in a panic and flying straight home to Goyang at the earliest possible flight, though Hyejin hadn't specified to anyone where exactly she and Yungchul had gone. Since the Kangs actually knew Yungchul unlike the Ims, that was apparently extra salt in the wound according to to Youngjae, who'd overheard Mrs. Kang wailing over the phone about her daughter running off with an artist.

 

Jaebum frowned at that. “Their loss for not giving him a chance.”

 

Maybe you should take them online to show them 'Merchant of Death,'” Youngjae suggested earnestly. “It's so good, I bet they'd love it.”

 

Jaebum chuckled. “I don't think I've seen Mr. Kang read anything more exciting than the newspaper.”

 

You gotta start somewhere, though.”

 

True.” Jaebum glanced over to the end table where there was still a wrapped present resting. He'd gotten her a pair of the fang earrings she liked so much, but now he had no idea where to send it. He supposed he could text her, though if she wanted to stay hidden, she'd probably turned her phone off. “Too bad she left without her gift.”

 

And before giving you yours.”

 

Oh yeah, she said she left it under the bed.” Jaebum swung partially off the bed and spotted a gift bag tucked underneath with a card taped onto it. He opened the card first, wondering if she would offer any more explanation for her disappearance, but it was fairly succinct.

 

Jaebum, she'd written, by now you know that I'm gone, and I'm sorry I couldn't tell you myself. You've always been such a good friend and I've been a pitiful one, so if there's anything I can do for you or Youngjae one day, please feel free to tell me. For now, I'll help you along with the more fun part ;) Love and Merry Christmas, Hyejin

 

Taped to the other side of the card was a printed e-mail listing a reservation to a hotel for the next evening, all expenses paid. Jaebum stared at, trying to imagine why she would possibly want to reserve him a hotel room when he had perfectly nice rooms at home, and glanced back at her message for clues. She'd underlined “fun part” three times. Fun part?

 

Oh my god...

 

OH MY GOD!” Youngjae yelled loudly next to him. He had the accompanying gift bag in his hands, and whatever was inside had apparently elicited his reaction. Jaebum was pretty sure he knew what it was.

 

Sure enough, when he leaned over to look, there were “supplies” meant for the hotel room in the gift bag. Nothing experimental, thankfully, but condoms and lube enough to make him happy that he'd remembered Hyejin telling him where she'd hid the present rather than have his mother discover it next time she vacuumed.

 

She got us hotel reservations, too,” Jaebum said, showing Youngjae the card and trying to sound like he wasn't freaking out internally thinking about what he'd be doing this time tomorrow.

 

Youngjae laughed nervously. “Well, problem solved.”

 

Problem solved.”

 

Um, but you will go through with it though?”

 

Jaebum stared at him blankly. “No, Youngjae, we'll spend the whole time watching dramas in bed.”

 

R-really?”

 

That was sarcasm. Why wouldn't I go through with it?”

 

Youngjae flushed. “You... I assumed since you put it off so long and didn't seem as excited about that as I thought when I passed my exam, that you might now want to do it. Plus...” His voice got suddenly smaller. “I wasn't 100% honest. I passed bio, but I didn't pass all the exams. I'm going to have to retake math.”

 

Jaebum shrugged, frankly unsurprised at Youngjae's confession. “We can study for math all you need, all right? That's not it at all. It's just that there will a lot of cares I'll have to take to make it good for you, and I'm just anxious that... that it won't be as much as you're hoping for.”

 

Oh.” He studied Jaebum carefully. “I know that it won't be easy the first time and all, but for every time after that, I think I'll live.”

 

I know. And trust me, I won't be so anxious when... you know...”

 

Youngjae grinned. “Or you could just finish the sentence even if I do know.”

 

No way.” He placed a hand over Youngjae's mouth. “Anyways, don't start one of your laugh attacks, we're supposed to be depressed over here. I have a broken heart.”

 

But aren't I supposed to be making it better?”

 

Jaebum couldn't help smiling all over again. “Of course. You always do.”

 

 

0

 

The situation at home had barely calmed down by time Jaebum decided it was safe to reemerge from his room, but his parents did at least try to lessen whatever burden they assumed it would have on him. His father seemed to think it was all still salvageable, and that Hyejin was simply acting out after an argument with Jaebum, but his mother had already resolved that Hyejin was a demon who was never to be allowed near Jaebum ever again. Even Jaebum had to remind his father that even after an argument, one usually didn't get revenge by eloping with someone else right out of the gate.

 

But the partnership,” Mr. Im mourned. “We were so looking forward to our children taking over.”

 

Jaebum had a feeling that would be the difficult part for Mr. Kang to reconcile himself to as well. It really was an amazing thing, how carefully people planned out the lives of their children, forgetting that they had wills of their own.

 

Um, Mrs. Im?” Youngjae asked tentatively.

 

Yes, dear?”

 

I was wondering if it would be all right to take Jaebum over to Jinyoung's tomorrow to stay the night. Jinyoung's just so good at... lifting people's spirits.”

 

Oh, that sounds like a nice idea. Jinyoung lives nearby?”

 

Yes,” Youngjae lied. Jinyoung was on break a good twenty hours away.

 

Well, if you're both interested in going, I have no objection. Jinyoung certainly seemed like a nice, sweet boy when I met him. Won't that be lovely, Jaebum?”

 

Jaebum nodded, but made sure it was still despondently. His mother tutted sympathetically and scuttled off into the kitchen to make comfort food.

 

Lying to your mother-in-law?” Jaebum whispered to Youngjae once she was out of the room. “Giving her the impression of pure intentions, are we?”

 

Well, we will be lifting your spirits, won't we?”

 

Sure.”

 

And we can't let the effort noona made on those reservations go to waste.”

 

Very true.”

 

It's too bad I'll have to go back home soon, though.”

 

Let's not think of that.” He felt himself growing somber at the thought. He didn't want to spend the rest of his break alone with his family, having to be sad all the time, and then to face the Kangs coming back and making it worse. He wished he could always have Youngjae's sunshine around, the only thing that was giving it its bright side.

 

But it would have to be okay. The being apart would make the coming together all the sweeter, he was sure. It wouldn't be long.  And he'd at least have a beautiful memory to hold with him during that absence; with someone so present in his heart, maybe it would be difficult to feel lonely in the end, as long as he carried that.

 

0

 

Jaebum wasn't at all familiar with the hotel Hyejin had signed them up for, so simply punched the address into his phone and let it tell him how to use public transportation to get there. The two of them had packed slightly for their trip, carrying backpacks with clothes for the next day as well as Hyejin's Christmas presents. There was a nervous energy between them as they left the house and got on the train, but that was to be expected, he thought. Still, whenever he looked at Youngjae's face, he couldn't stop smiling. How did he get to be this lucky? He didn't know how many stars had to align for them to have found each other, but he was happy that they had, that every moment before now had led up to this.

 

After twenty minutes, they got off the train and arrived in a nice business district, nearby where Kang Im was based. “We're looking for the 1100 building,” Jaebum said, checking the address again.

 

I don't think we dressed up enough,” Youngjae murmured.

 

What do you mean?”

 

Look at all these people here. It's all suits and ties.”

 

That's because it's still afternoon, and they're working. I'm sure in the evening...” He trailed off, his jaw falling open. They'd arrived at the 1100 building, and it was massive. There were neatly dressed bellhops outside and a red carpet leading up to the hotel's door. The people heading in prior to them were indeed dressed in expensive suits, and one of the bellhops hurried to help them, bowing repeatedly.

 

I don't think we're dressed up enough,” Youngjae repeated. This time Jaebum had to agree with him. How had Hyejin been able to afford this?

 

The remaining bellhop glanced at them and their backpacks dubiously, but led them into reception for check in, where the woman behind the counter also looked at them dubiously. However, their reservation cleared without issue and they received their keys, most likely written off as the kids of someone rich, which was fair enough since Jaebum doubted anyone their age could actually afford to stay at someplace like this without help from their parents. Hyejin had probably had one last hurrah with her family credit card before her parents cut her off.

 

Want to look around for a bit before going up?” Jaebum asked. Youngjae nodded, looking around excitedly. The lobby headed into several different directions, and they read them off the plaque hanging on the wall. Billiards, fitness room, and pool to the left. An in-hotel restaurant and bar to the right. A ballroom through the thick doors ahead. The two of them roamed around, peeking into the smoky billiard rooms and then the restaurant and bar where it looked like several different business meetings were being hosted. There were still elegant Christmas decorations placed here and there, pine garlands and red velvet ribbons and branches of holly. Everything had a nice, comfortable smell to it like fresh baked gingerbread.

 

When they had finished exploring, they took a glass elevator up to their room. They were huge, bigger than anything Jaebum had ever stayed in with his family before. Connected to the entryway was a black and white bathroom with a huge bathtub that he was almost surprised didn't come pre-sprinkled with rose petals. The bedroom itself had a wide king sized bed covered by a black comforter, a tall wardrobe, several cozy armchairs, and a desk with a neat stack of pamphlets discussing all the amenities of the rooms and things to do nearby. Jaebum was almost nervous to set his backpack down into such a setting, as classy and prim as it was.

 

So this is what it's like to be rich,” Youngjae said, awestruck. “I feel like I shouldn't touch anything.”

 

Go ahead and touch it all so we can get our money's worth,” Jaebum said, though he was wary of starting himself.

 

Youngjae set his bag down and gently ran his hands along the armrest of one of the chairs, then traveled his fingers along the length of the desk, then across the black fabric covering the bed. Jaebum watched him, his heart pounding. It really was too perfect, like a portrait where a single wrong could mar its beauty. He was half afraid to move, so he stood where he was, only his eyes moving to follow the slow movements of Youngjae's fingers. Only Youngjae could move just right like this, not disturbing anything, a natural part of the scene's perfection. It felt like he could watch him forever, holding his breath without ever losing it, not needing anything else but the sight of him and the blissful silence.

 

Youngjae turned just slightly, smiling over his shoulder at Jaebum, and his body at last wanted to move, desperately wanted it. He stepped forward, reaching out to touch Youngjae's arm. Youngjae grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers together before sitting down on the bed. The cold metal of his twin ring brushed against Jaebum's finger, making him shiver.

 

Jaebum,” Youngjae said quietly, squeezing his hand.

 

Yeah?”

 

I trust you. Please don't worry about anything else. I don't think there's anything that could make me happier than getting to be with you.”

 

Jaebum in his breath, for once letting Youngjae see his slightly flustered reaction before leaning in to kiss him. He held it for just a moment, then pulled away and cupped Youngjae's face in his hands. “I love you,” he murmured.

 

Yes,” Youngjae whispered back. “I love you.”

 

No matter what.”

 

No matter what.”

 

He kissed him again, wrapping his arms around his waist. He was so beautiful, so slender, and he wanted to see it uncovered, his narrow hips, his legs, the veins coiling underneath the surface, his pale skin. He held onto him tighter, feeling his heart racing. Youngjae really was trusting in him. Why was that? He'd done so many things wrong, and even though Youngjae had ended up falling in love with him, he'd probably shown so many less desirable sides of himself in the process. How was he able to be loved so much? What had he done, in this life or the last, to deserve this?

 

The moments melted together, one after the other. The feel of his lips, familiar but less restrained than they'd ever been before, the mounting heat, the soft breath that grew quicker, the obtrusive fabric of his sweater until it was on the ground, out of the way of his hungry fingers. Youngjae's skin, warm and smooth, as beautiful as he'd imagined it, pale white but slowly flushing with heat, with the marks his lips left as he trailed against it. His neck, his wrist, his stomach, his thighs, his ankles, every part beautiful, every part making him hungry in new ways. The impulse to lose himself entirely, to dive in and take everything, leaving nothing unclaimed, swept over him. But Youngjae's voice echoed through him. I trust you. He had to be worthy of that. He wouldn't take something beautiful and give it something any less.

 

So when he touched him, he touched him gently, listening to the sound of his voice and if it was happy. Youngjae's own fingers were running over him, up and down his back, through his hair, against his face, slowly just as he had used them to explore the hotel room. Every part of him felt electric, like it would fizzle and explode if he was continually both treasured and tortured like this. Maybe Youngjae was starting to feel the same way, since he took Jaebum's hand and led it, their eyes locked together.

 

Please,” he whispered, and all the electricity in Jaebum's body surged.

 

Jaebum held his eyes, holding his breath as well without realizing it, and whispered him name. Youngjae. Youngjae murmured his back, a smile crossing his lips, his watery eyes turning up at the corners. Though their curtain was drawn, everything seemed to have a new glimmer of light from that, his body warmed from the inside, and his veins seemed to fill with fire.

 

“I love you,” he murmured one last time. His hands reached down to grab his bag and open it.

 

0

 

Jaebum thought he'd be garbage at pillow talk, but Youngjae, in spite of his exhaustion, was taking care of the matter for him. By laughing, in his out-of-breath state. He wasn't sure if he should be flattered, since Youngjae always giggled when he was happy, or highly concerned that what he had thought was one of the most loving and passionate things he'd ever done was circus entertainment to Youngjae.

 

Luckily, Youngjae never liked to keep anyone in suspense.

 

“Can I get any happier than this?” he asked through one of his little chuckles. “You really love me. You really do.”

 

“Yeah, we've been over that,” Jaebum said, lazily trailing his fingers up and down Youngjae's hip.

 

“But seriously. I wasn't worried before you made me worry about it, but it was good, wasn't it? You made me feel so good even though it was supposed to hurt more, so really you must love me if you could do that, right?” He smiled sweetly, nestling his face into Jaebum's shoulder. Jaebum almost started choking. What was this kid, an angel?

 

“I suppose so,” he said, trying to recover.

 

“Hehehe, you're getting gruff with me. I know what that means.”

 

“Stop it, you.”

 

Youngjae smirked and kissed his shoulder before lifting his head and looking at the digital clock by the bed. “Want to take a bath?”

 

“Both of us?”

 

“The tub looked big enough for it.”

 

“I guess we could try.”

 

The bath was big enough for the both of them, and although there were no rose petals or candles, there was a sample bottle of bubble bath provided, which they poured into the water. It smelled like vanilla, and made the bath thick with bubbles, like the kind you played in when you were a baby, giving yourself foamy beards or chest hair. They were just mature enough not to do that, though Youngjae did grab a pile of bubbles in his hands and blew them at Jaebum slowly, laughing as he batted them away.

 

“You're sure you're all right?” Jaebum asked. The last thing he'd expected was Youngjae to be his laughing, upbeat himself right after. Jaebum himself still felt in a bit of a stupor, his body still processing the beauty of connecting with Youngjae and how wonderful he had felt. Perhaps Youngjae had stamina in spades, but now he had to wonder if he'd gone a little too easy on him.

 

Youngjae seemed to catch some of the genuine curiosity behind his question and leaned forward, resting his bubbly hands on Jaebum's knees. “It's not that, exactly. But I guess rather than feeling tired from it, I feel...” He pursed his lips. “Relieved, maybe?”

 

Relieved?”

 

Yes.”

 

This isn't about you thinking I didn't want to do this with you, right?”

 

Not all the way. It's...” He ducked his head a little bit. “Look, I told you that I liked you really early on, right? But I really thought for all that time that it would only be just me in love. I liked that you spent so much time with me, but friends do that, and I thought that's all it was. I thought that one day you'd fall in love with some girl or another and I wouldn't be able to take it, and maybe we wouldn't even be able to be friends anymore. And then I even thought you might be interested in Jinyoung, and because of that I thought I wouldn't be able to see you without feeling jealous or hurt or whatever, so I tried to stop altogether. When you told me that it was me you liked... I had to replay it in my head every night just to believe it was real. It was the last thing I was expecting.”

 

Youngjae...”

 

Youngjae shook his head. “So I think I wondered up until now whether at some point everything would shatter and you would fall in love with someone else like I always thought you would. Until I met Yungchul hyung, I was freaked out that it would be Hyejin, since that's what everyone wanted. But all that time, you were only looking at me. And now...” He flushed slightly. “I'm not such an idiot that I don't understand everything you were giving to me. So that's why I got so happy, and didn't focus on anything else. Because you really love me. And I'm now more sure than ever that you won't change your mind about that.”

 

Jaebum stared at him in amazement. “Of course I won't. I've never been this crazy about someone in my life, and I'd be an idiot to look elsewhere when I'm about as happy as it gets right now. How long are you going to make me keep saying these embarrassing things?”

 

Forever, hopefully. As long as someone like you can still get embarrassed, I know for sure that you're still crazy about me.”

 

So your master plan is to keep making me crazy for the rest of our lives, huh?”

 

Won't that be fun, though?” Youngjae shifted his position and leaned forward to kiss Jaebum, the kind of kiss that really might succeed in driving him crazy. He hooked his arm around Youngjae's back. No way he was letting this person go.

 

Hey,” he murmured one last time when Youngjae pulled away. “You're definitely all right?”

 

Mmmm.”

 

All right enough to play with my Christmas presents some more?”

 

Youngjae grinned. “Yes, better get our money's worth, right?”

 

Jaebum simply growled and hauled him out of the bath, still dripping wet.

 

0

 

Leaving the room the next morning was one of the hardest things he'd ever done. It was slightly more difficult for Youngjae who grumbled the whole time about needing a wheelchair, but for both of them it was hard to go with the knowledge that they wouldn't be able to have a private world of their own like that for a long time. And the moment they were home, it was back to mourning Hyejin for Jaebum and packing up his bags to go home for Youngjae. It was back to stolen moments in Jaebum's room at night, which were lovely, but couldn't quite compare to the magic of their first time together just yet.

 

He felt horrible on the morning Youngjae went back. He accompanied him to the airport like one of those mopey boyfriends in dramas, though he didn't try to chase him down after he entered security or scream out his name when he turned to say goodbye. It would only be a few weeks, he knew, and plus, he did have some dignity left, as in love as he was. Jaebum wanted Youngjae to have a happy time with his family and not to be burdened by how much Jaebum would miss him. So he waved him off with a smile on his face, and the moment he was out of sight, texted him another goodbye, knowing it would be the start of an unending stream of messages between them until they were reunited back at school.

 

He wasn't terribly happy to go back home alone to everything that waited for him there. The Kangs finally made it back from Japan, and were naturally more infuriated by Hyejin's actions than Jinyoung's own parents. They were sympathetic to him, but he felt a little bit of resentment under the surface. After all, he'd always been the bad one in everyone's eyes, and they weren't ready to have that its head and revealed to be their daughter. They probably wanted him back as Hyejin's scapegoat if that meant they could have her back the way they had thought she was. But Hyejin's words were at the same time impossible for them to erase. That girl had never existed, and they had to contend with the real woman she was now. She'd written them all with wedding pictures, taken by friends and showing her and Yungchul looking terribly happy in their casual wedding clothes, her black hair littered with red streaks and his tattoos peeking through the sleeves of his shirt, and she'd scribbled her new address on the back of the card. They could have reached out to her if they wanted, but they didn't. He supposed it was far too soon for forgiveness from anyone but him.

 

After receiving the letters from her, Jaebum visited their webtoon page and saw that they had included a link to “meet the creators.” The picture on the screen showed two smiling faces, Hong Yungchul and Hong Hyejin, leaning over a storyboard, him sketching the figures in place and her adding liner notes. How happy, he thought. The kind of happiness you just have to hold onto.

 

As the days of break wound down, his mother stopped in his room to help him with his laundry. “Hmmm,” she said thoughtfully, glancing at his bed. “I rather miss Youngjae, don't you?”

 

“Of course,” he said, looking up in surprise. Well, of course he did, but he was a bit surprised that she did.

 

“Yes. You were so happy when he was around. I thought it was because of Hyejin at first, but he even managed to keep you happy after that. What a marvel, that boy. That's the kind of person you stay friends with for a long time, you hear me, Jaebum?”

 

“I hear you,” he said, still reeling from the shock. She probably didn't even know the full depth of what she was saying, but this was approval he was happy enough to get.

 

0

 

His mother drove him back to university as soon as they were allowed back into the dorms, and Jaebum took the train to the airport from there. It was a few hours early, but he was willing to wait, watching parents chase around their overly excited children and tired passengers arrive at the luggage stations, bundling together and tiredly waiting for their bags. He watched their bags go round and round and one by one disappear as they gathered them up, then a new batch come through. He waited and waited, not doing much of anything but expectantly looking at his phone.

 

When a call came through, he practically pounced on it. “Youngjae?”

 

“You're here? My stuff is going to come through at station 6, I'll be there in a second.”

 

“Or faster,” Jaebum said, jokingly even though he really wasn't.

 

“I want to see you, too.”

 

“Then get here.”

 

He waited at station 6. The bags started coming through, but he watched for Youngjae instead of Youngjae's bag, grinning wider than he even thought possible when Youngjae stepped out with the disgruntled sleepy look of having spent the morning navigating the airport. But all of that vanished the moment he saw Jaebum.

 

They tried not to act like couples in dramas, so running towards each other and throwing their arms around each other seemed entirely out of the question. So Youngjae took steps to him and Jaebum took steps as well and suddenly those steps became a little faster until they were right in front of each other and-- screw it!-- his arms were flying around Youngjae and pulling him close, and Youngjae's head was snug against his chest, laughing gleefully into his bulky coat.

 

“I missed you,” he heard between the happy laughs.

 

“I missed you, too.” They gave each other a few manly smacks on the back, but took a few more seconds to pull apart. Luckily no one seemed to be staring at them too much.

 

“How's your family?” Jaebum asked.

 

“Great, like always. Yours? They're not still upset, are they?”

 

“They're getting better. Mom says she missed you.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Because you make me happy.”

 

Youngjae blinked. “Well. I'm glad she thinks so, too.”

 

“Yes. And about that. We don't have biology to study for anymore, and if you were good about studying for math and pass your make up, it'll be smooth sailing for that as well. We'll get to start being together even more legitimately this term.”

 

“What about Yugyeom?”

 

“Weren't we going to set him up with Jackson?”

 

“Ugh, the effort that will take, though.”

 

“Well, what about him and Junho? Or we could just get him a girlfriend.”

 

“Or we could lock him out...”

 

Youngjae couldn't help grinning. “Eager, aren't we?”

 

“Well, I couldn't let you be the only one.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Jaebum shook his head, grabbing Youngjae's hand and squeezing it. “Anyways. I'm just happy you're here.”

 

“Yeah,” Youngjae said, leaning into him. “Me too.”

 

0

 

It always ended up with group of them sitting together and eating, whether it was the cafeteria or the bistro where Yugyeom worked. Today it was the cafeteria. Mark and Jinyoung had fairly uneventful holidays, but Yugyeom and Jackson had gotten into a fight, and BamBam and Jackson had wound up getting together. So much for their grand matchmaking plans. It wasn't at all fair that Jinyoung and Mark had found a way to get their room free when they'd pretty much had little trouble getting BamBam out of the way to begin; comparatively, Yugyeom had always been the much bigger obstacle.

 

“So you two had a very fun holiday, riiiight?” Jinyoung asked, turning to Youngjae. Jaebum narrowed his eyes. Youngjae must have texted him, after all.

 

“Well, we got unknowingly involved in an elopement, if that's what you mean,” Jaebum said after Jackson started cackling knowingly.

 

“You're married now?” BamBam asked, cocking his head.

 

“UNKNOWINGLY involved in SOMEONE ELSE'S plan,” Jaebum clarified. “Hyejin noona and her boyfriend's, to be exact.”

 

“Sounds fun,” Mark said.

 

“She had to pretend to be dating Jaebum to pull it off the way she wanted,” Youngjae added.

 

“And you actually agreed to that?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Just because you're super possessive, doesn't mean everyone is, Jinyoung,” Jackson butted in.

 

“Says the guy who tried to beat me up because you thought I was after BamBam,” Yugyeom muttered.

 

“If you're talking about Hyejin, don't leave me out!” came a familiar female voice from behind them.

 

Jaebum knew before he turned his head that it would be Hyejin, but he was excited to see her again all the same. Her ever changing hair was back to blonde, and she was wearing Yungchul’s leather jacket, even though it was far too big for her and practically hung off her body.

 

Hey, troublemaker,” he said wryly. “Or should I say Mrs. Troublemaker?”

 

Oh, please, don’t start with the Mrs. nonsense right now. At least give me the rest of my twenties before I start becoming matronly.” She gave him a few affectionate whacks on the shoulder. “So, just how much of a demon does the family think me right now?”

 

Do you really want to know?”

 

Not too particularly. And really, it doesn’t upset me at the moment, since it’s what I pretty much asked to happen. I am sorry to you, though. Did you have to act broken hearted for very long? I hope you were able to get over me quickly, even if it helped hide things with Youngjae.”

 

No, I pouted over it all throughout break.”

 

Well, I suppose I can be flattered, then. Apologies to you too,  Youngjae. Although I do hope you enjoyed your Christmas present?”

 

Youngjae started coughing.

 

Yes, it was lovely,” Jaebum said in deadpan. “Moving on. You don’t know Jackson and BamBam yet, do you?” He pointed them out to her. “Jackson Wang and BamBam… I can’t actually pronounce his name, sorry. Jackson, BamBam, Hyejin noona’s a childhood friend and one of the creators of ‘Merchant of Death’.”

 

Dude! I SWEAR by that,” Jackson yelled. “Why is someone as cool as you friends with Jaebum?”

 

Isn’t that insulting yourself?” BamBam pointed out. “You’re Jaebum’s friend, too.”

 

My husband is the artist, you should meet him sometime.” Hyejin paused. “Wow, ‘husband’ will still take some getting used to, saying it outright like that. I like it, though.” She smacked Jaebum’s shoulders again. “When you see my family or yours again, you will at least let them know I’m all right and happy, won’t you?”

 

Yes, noona.”

 

Good. Then all that’s left is to keep being happy yourself, all right? You too, Youngjae. Noona will root for you.” With a wave and a small smile, she left their conversation as quickly as she had joined it.

 

Man, Jaebum, she could have been your fiancée!” Jackson said, a little awed. He immediately winced after, and Jaebum sincerely hoped that BamBam or Youngjae had kicked him under the table.

 

I’m happy with who I have, thank you,” Jaebum said.

 

Yeah, Youngjae would make a good wife,” BamBam said, sticking out his tongue.

 

Oh god, isn’t it enough that all my friends have decided to start dating each other, do you need to encourage everyone to get married, too?” Yugyeom groaned. “Mark, please stop looking at Jinyoung like that.”

 

Like what?” Jinyoung asked, whirling around to look at Mark.

 

Don’t worry, we’ll at least wait until we graduate,” Jaebum joked.

 

Hahaha, Mark’s from LA, he could totally do it, I bet that’s what he’s thinking,” Jackson snickered. “Yo, BamBam, what’s the rule in Thailand?”

 

If you even think about it, I’ll kill you,” Yugyeom snapped.

 

I would not make a good wife!” Youngjae finally protested, as soon as he could actually get a word in.

 

The others kept on arguing, but Jaebum just leaned back, laughing. Even with their sharp words, everyone was happy, and even if it was in their odd little ways and maybe they would be the only ones who would ever understand it, it wasn't such a troublesome thing, after all.

 

 

A/N: Fufufu. We just have the epilogue left :D I hope you enjoyed. And I'm sorry for cutting short a certain scene, but this is not an M rated story, please forgive me. Once again, thanks for your support