A Road Trip?

Don't Stop Driving
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You looked at the clock to see that it was just about 8:00pm and then looked around your living room at the familiar faces that were your friends - or at least your friends that were on time. Which were Junhoe, Anna, Chanwoo, Hanbin and surprisingly Donghyuk; who had missed a number of previous meetings for university days and workshops.

Out of all 10 of the people in your group, Donghyuk definitely had the clearest idea of what he planned to do in the future, whereas the rest of you were all kind of just floating about in a cloudy abyss of options and wasted careers and decisions meetings with your old school’s career counselor. At the time, all of the constant pushing to take the meetings for granted had seemed like a waste of the teachers’ breath but now it went without saying, that you all - apart from Donghyuk and Lana, who had a vague idea of what she wanted to do as well - regretted not listening in or attending at all.

Since then everybody had left school and so far your summers had consisted of a lot of sitting around at each other’s homes, playing about, watching films and various other typical teenager activities. The peak at this point being your graduation day ceremony as there was an after party at somebody’s house that at the moment, sat on the top of your ‘exciting things that happened in the summer between the end of college and the start of university’ list.

Other then that, the list was upsettingly empty.

It’s not that the group is mundane, it’s just that we don’t need a lot to have a good time, you thought to yourself before your mind process was cut off by the overdue entrance of Yunhyeong and more noticeably to you, Bobby.

“Why are you guys late? Even I’m on time today”, Donghyuk joked as he stood up to take the bags of snack they had bought with them.

Holding up the bag next to his face, Yunhyeong shook them and said, “What does it look like? We bought snacks.” His answer was swiftly followed by Anna stating the obvious - which was that buying snacks is not an excuse for being over an hour late as buying snacks is not an hour long activity. Most of the time. Yunhyeong simply just stuck his tongue out and joined Donghyuk in sitting on the floor and picking through what he had bought.

Honestly you couldn’t fault him too much, he had just spent a small wad of money on name brand snacks. He didn’t have to do that, bless him. Being real here, own brand is just fine. And anyway, Bobby is probably the reason that they took so long.

“Let’s start the film now then!” Declared Hanbin who was now sat directly in front of the tv, flicking through the genres on Netflix.

Bobby threw himself down into the free seat next you and winked, “Look at us, Netflix and chilling for the 4th time this week, still waiting for the day where I turn up and it’s just me and you though.”

You scoffed, trying to act as if he had no effect on you at all. Bobby was Bobby. Friendly to everybody, liked by most, the crush of many. And you were you. Friendly to many, liked by most, crush of few at most and hoping that Bobby was one of them. Your relationship with him had always been flirty, it was just that somewhere along the way it had shifted from friend flirting to the type of flirting that made you nervous and that you blushed at the thought of. But your relationship was at an overall stalemate as regardless of what kind of flirting it was, it was still just friends who were flirting.

“What about Jinhwan and Lana though?” Chanwoo said. Poor Chanwoo. He was just thinking about his friends and being considerate. He just had the misfortune of expressing his concern to Hanbin who even though it had been over a year since Lana and Jinhwan had become a couple, was still salty about it as ‘it’ll be awkward if they break up’ and how ‘when they argue, the group will have to pick sides’ or mostly and mainly about the fact that Jinhwan had began to spend more time with Lana instead of him after it happened.

“What about them.”

Of course. Hanbin. Scary as ever. His voice literally changed from his everyday 18 year old, group-mom self to something more similar to a 50 year old with pent up aggression due to being in the middle of a divorce and just being told to do overtime at work despite being so close to retirement. You imagine that, that's what he sounds like at least. You didn't actually know any 50 year olds in that situation so you couldn't quite say.

Luckily enough for both Chanwoo and themselves, before Hanbin had time to go in on Chanwoo, Jinhwan and Lana entered the living room. Seems like God is on Chanwoo’s side.

“Finally.” Hanbin remarked but before he could start the movie, Yunhyeong wanted to make an announcement of some kind.

He started off slow and cautious as if it wasn’t obvious that what he was about to say was prepared beforehand, “I’ve been thinking and as much as I enjoy watching as many movies as possible until everybody falls asleep every other night, it’s our last summer as truly carefree teenagers. After this, we will all go to different universities and as much as we’ll stay friends and see each other, we won’t be as together as we are now, you know? We should do something amazing and unforgettable. All of us. Together.” Aware of how cheesy he sounded, he choked on, “So in order to commemorate the last 7 years we’ve spent together and our final summer, what should we do?”

“Didn’t you give a speech like this between the end of highschool and college, when we all had the option to go to different colleges…” And again, poor Chanwoo. Sometimes he just didn’t need to speak and this time there was nobody to save him from what was coming. God could only have his back once in such a short time period.

Yunhyeong simply stared at him with dead eyes and a smile before his rebuttal. “This time it’s a bit more real. Chanwoo. Reality is soon coming and our current existential crisises can only last so long before we are forced to come to a final decision and we’re not all going to the same university now, are we?”

At least he went easy on him. Kind of. Yunhyeong had created a sight truly scarier than Hanbin’s. RIP Chanwoo. For on this night, he was gracefully murdered by The Yunhyeong himself.

“We could go on a holiday abroad together, a lot of people have gone to party places like Ibiza”, Donghyuk suggested.

“I don’t know Donghyuk, you’re not exactly the best at drinking. And something about cheap hotels and week long hangovers just doesn’t appeal to me,” you replied.

“What about a more refined European tour type thing? We can stay in hostels and travel by coach and visit landmarks like the Eiffel Tower or check out fancy museums?” Jinhwan spoke up this time but instead of pitching that idea to the group, it looked more like he was just looking at Lana and thinking about what she’d like the most.

“Just my style!” Sarcasm was expected from Bobby in this situation and honestly this was one of the rare occasions where you actually appreciated it. He continued to say, “Listen, what about we do something that really kind of smushes everybody’s ideas into one massive montage of crazy, unconnected activities that everybody wants, will love and will remember for so long that we’ll tell our grandchildren about it?”

For a slight moment, everybody just exchanged glances between each other, thinking about what Bobby had just said. Obviously, it was the best suggestion so far but he had been really vague and he didn't really suggest anything, also as ideal as it was, how would it even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter