I Fell for the Enemy

Masquerading with the (un)Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Listen to this while reading Fell for the Enemy by Chris Crocker.

 

Beautifully intricate chandeliers glittered  in the high halls of the Wu Family mansion. Every nook and cranny of the mansion was decorated with glowing lights. The grand staircase leading to the second floor was laden with a bright red carpet which stood in a stark contrast to the white backdrop of stairs and walls.

 

Everything was glaringly white in the mansion, making it glow naturally, like a place in heaven but don't be fooled it was not the residence of heavenly or divine creatures but rather the residence of Creatures of the Night. It was the mansion of the ruler of all vampire clans in the world. It was the residence of Wu Yi fan and his family.

 Tonight, a masquerade ball was held at his grand mansion, meant for royal pureblooded vampires from all over the world. It was the eve of Halloween and Yifan just wanted to humor himself by celebrating a human holiday.

 

Truthfully Yifan couldn't remember his birthday from his days as a human because he has been a vampire for almost 800 years now so he decided to celebrate it on Halloween every year. What better an excuse than that to celebrate a day and throw grand parties like he had done today and also he was tad bit fond of the irony of it all, frankly.

 

The party had just begun with royal vampires trailing in elegantly with their mated ones and alongside their clans.

 

The first ones to arrive was Irene's family from Spain. Irene was the leader of all the vampire clans in Spain, and an old friend of Yifan's. She had a long history of royal ancestry behind her and not to mention she was a capable leader herself. Her family was still pretty small consisting of only five members, as they were relatively new in this world and were still unmated. Their navy blue masks, lined with silver, glittered under the bright lights of his mansion. Being their leader, Irene had a special mask herself with peacock feathers emerging from the corner of her eye mask.

 

It was an unspoken rule for the family members to follow a color code in their masks. Yifan was not responsible for this one but it was more like a tradition followed by the royals since a long time and now was recognized as a rule. Yifan never said anything about it because it was simply convenient for him since he didn't like not knowing what kind of person was he associating himself with and he really didn't believe in the spirit of masquerade.

 

All five of them- Irene, Seulgi, Joy, Wendy and their newest addition Yeri, formally bowed to him and his mate Zitao, as a greeting and a form of a respect since he is the ruler of rulers. Yifan's Perle-Veneziane Volto mask composed of Gold and White colors stood out in the growing crowd of vampires, differentiating him from the rest. His mate, Zitao was wearing a  mask identical to him, indicating his status as his mate and so were his family members, albeit with different designs but still identifying themselves as the most powerful family in the world.

 

The next to arrive were the Jung sisters of France in their royal purple masks, lined with beads and feathers. The sisters alone ruled the French vampires, never bothering to build a family of their own. Jessica Jung didn't bow to Yifan like the other vampires but she simply nodded at him, acknowledging his presence and superiority. She was a favorite of his when it came to female vampires since both of them shared a lot of similarities the most prominent one being their cold and stern exteriors but internally some of the warmest people for their family or loved ones.

 

They both handled everything with a sense of style only both of them possessed in the room full of vampires. It was a side reserved for only a few people as they still had to lead large clans of bloodthirsty creatures. Krystal Jung complimented Jessica well when it came down to handling the French folks. If Jessica was cold and ruthless then her sister was even more so. Yifan curiously wondered of this was the reason, they were still unmated but in the end it was not his business to mind.

 

Yifan organized these social gatherings for this very purpose, perfectly aware that royal blooded vampires never got along with each other in normal circumstances and were too prideful to introduce themselves if they were the latest additions to the family. It was a way for everyone to meet and greet each other, under his careful eye, lest they tried anything cheap. All the royals present in the room were too busy to maintain their social lives, busy solving bloody disputes, so Yifan made it possible for them, he was a good ruler after all.

 

His face completely covered by the mask but there was not a person in the room that recognized him because his mask was a special work of art by the Perle family of mask makers in Italy. The golden beads draped quite artfully on his mask, framing his blank looking face quite exquisitely and light patterns of gold on the pure white mask, complimenting with the white and gold outfit he wore, to match his mask.

 

Behind him, stood his mate, looking identical except for his midnight black hair whereas Yifan had golden hair. Behind his mate, stood Jongin, The heir to Wu Family in the same Golden and White colors, looking handsome and perfect in his half mask, revealing his golden skin and plushy lips. Then after him stood, Luhan, Yifan's right hand man and then stood Yixing, the angelic soul amongst the dark creatures.

 

All of them stood in a diagonal line, welcoming their guests with smiles plastered on their faces, courtesy of his mask, Yifan would say.

 

The next to make a grand entrance in his party was Kibum's family of five in various designs of emerald green colour masks, lined with silver colors and feathers in some case. Kibum's mate Jonghyun towering next to him as they entered, followed by Minho and his mate Taemin. Jinki was the last one to enter, the only unmated member of the family, having lost his mate in a battle long time ago. even before he was turned into a vampire. His lover's death was the prime reason he became a vampire in first place to avenge him but to no avail.

 

All of them bowed to Yifan and his family, paying him their respects. Kibum was the leader of vampire clans in Japan. People easily misunderstood him beause of his diva side but nonetheless he was a stern leader under all the layers of his personality. He had won a blood battle to become the leader he is today, it was not handed to him by ancestry which is why Yifan admired him and maintained good relations with the Japanese leader. Minho was the heir to Kibum's family, a charming yet strong vampire.. Yifan did not know much about Minho but he trusted Kibum's decision because it was his family after all and Kibum never made wrong decisons, that was for sure.

 

Yifan impatiently checked his clock beause he was waiting for one particular family to arrive before officially opening the ball. He fiddled around with the beads framing his mask when the next family arrived. It was Kim Taeyeon and Leeteuk's family composed of eight women and ten men. Previously, they were too separate families that had to merge together on the account of so many of their members mating the members from the opposite family. Taeyeon herself was mated to Leeteuk. They all were wearing similar masks of crimson red and pure white sometimes added with linings of gold or silver. T

 

he entire family ruled the English clans of vampires. Taeyeon and Leeteuk were charming and alluring vampires who could easily fool anybody with their exteriors. It was probably an advantage for them, Yifan concluded because only he knew how vicious both of them could be. They shortly bowed to him before taking their places in one corner of the hall, looking out at the party of vampire like bats look for their prey at night. Oh the irony, Yifan chuckled to himself.

 

 

The Kim Family is here, Yifan thought gleefully, upon sniffing the air. Not very other vampire could sniff out the scents of other vampires but Yifan was exceptionally skilled and not to mention experienced as well. The Kim Family led by Kim Junmyeon ruled the Korean clans. Did Yifan ever mention he was based in China? Well now he did. Yifan nodded to his family members signaling them of the arrival. They were required to be on red alert for this one.

 

Everyone in the hall was aware of the tension between the two families, particularly between Yifan and Junmyeon. Their history goes way back, actually. Yifan and Junmyeon were the last of the pureblooded vampires created by Count Dracula himself before his death. These two were the original vampires that were supposed to rule the world side by side as per The Count's last wish. But it was Junmyeon who tried to rebel his way out to be the sole leader of all the leaders. Wanting to test god-knows-whose prowess, he declared a war on Yifan.

 

The War of the Two Moons (Titled so by people around because like the one and only moon in the sky, there could only be one ruler unlike the way it should have been) Yifan does not like detailing that nightmare again and again but that (un)fateful day he lost some of his trusted and powerful members; his first family Jung Yunho and Park Changmin. But then again he met his mate on the battlefield, (Zitao was a soldier in Junmyeon's army) with the help whom he turned tables on Junmyeon. You see, ,mates strengthen each other infinitely and Junmyeon was unmated back then so Yifan was the undefeated leader as the outcome.

 

Since then there was an unspoken, but very much obvious animosity between both of them and their respective families. Yifan wouldn't have carried this ridiculous grudge to this date if it weren't for Junmyeon making him lose some of the very important members of his family repeatedly. He was a sort of person who could go to any extent to overthrow Yifan from his throne and these kind of social gatherings were perfect opportunities served to that fox in a lavishly decorated platter. That cheap shot, Yifan thought bitterly.

 

His train of thought was interrupted by The Kim family filing in the hall, one by one dressed in masks of midnight black and bright gold. The color black was meant to signify their rebellion against The Wu family and gold highlighted their status as royal vampires, intentionally chosen so, so as to irk the Wu family and to remind them of the commonness they once shared but now they had split up.

 

Suho(as he liked to addressed) himself was wearing a Feather Volto Pizzo Venetian Mask  made of darkest of blacks and had some feathers lined with gold, it was meant to irk him, Yifan noted and internally chuckled. All of them snobbishly proceeded ahead without even acknowledging the Wu family. And the Yifan' family themselves stood motionlessly, their eyes focused like hawks on the people entering the hall. Yifan mentally counted Junmyeon, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae and Minseok as they entered paired up together. Junmyeon with Kyungsoo, Baekhyun with Chanyeol and Jongdae with Minseok.

 

Yifan narrowed his eyes because one member was missing from the family, a new member that he had heard about but had never seen because he was still being kept hidden by the Kim family. Yifan's eyes darted to Luhan, his informant who never fed him wrong info without proper confirmation. He accusingly narrowed his roaring red eyes at him to which Luhan just shrugged because he really didn't know.

 

Yifan took a deep breath calming himself, this is not the time, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter