The Orphanage

Orphan

▌Chapter 1

「Your POV」

I played with my doll as I fed her some cookies that I found inside the fridge. I pouted, bemused that it’s not opening its mouth to eat my special cookie. I dropped the cookie on my plate and looked at the front door then shifted my gaze to the window. It was already dark, but mommy and daddy haven’t comeback yet.

I stood up, feeling defeated by the stubbornness of my eyes closing, wanting to sleep. I went up to my bedroom but I was stopped on my tracks when the front door opened. As my ears perked up, I made my way to the door only to find an old woman there.

“Are you Oh Mi-Young??” the woman asked me.
I nodded, holding tightly to my doll. I bit my lip wondering where my mommy was.
“Come with me” Said the old woman, her voice was solid, like the serious tone my daddy uses when he lectures me.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 
People were rushing everywhere, I was inside a hospital. I was beside the old woman, and as we turned left and we entered a much quiet hallway. She stopped and opened a door. She led me inside and I observed the room. It was full of beds, only it was metal like and cold. And on it were white sheets covering something. I stared at it, blinking once.
“They’re your parents”
Blinked twice.
“They’re gone”
Blinked thrice.
“They’re dead Mi-Young, they will never come back”
And that’s when I felt a tear roll down my cheek, death, my mom never taught what to do when that happens.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I looked up to the big bricked building in front of me. It was big and old. I looked beside me, there my bags standing before me. I looked up as the old woman talked to a younger woman and looked at me and flash me a smile.
I didn’t smile back and look away. I watch as the kids play, and others talk happily together. I wonder if they lost their mommies and daddies too. I sighed and fiddle my dress.
The old woman looked at me for the last time. She didn’t said anything, and she just walked away.

The young pretty woman bent down to face me. She smiled at me and said “I’m Hae-ra, you’re new unnie” 
“I’m Oh Mi-Young” I held my hand to shake hers. And she look startled for a minute then her eyes turn to amused ones and shook my hands.
“Nice to meet you”, I heard her say
“Come let me show you around” She offered and led me to the playground. The kids were playing around the monkey bars, slide, and the swings. I felt my legs go wobbly. I wanted to go home.

“See those kids there? They are your new brothers and sisters. Go play with them” She offered with a reassuring smile.

I didn’t move, I bit my lip and nodded. As I walk towards the swing beside the big oak tree. I watched Hae-ra wave and walk away.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Days passed, still no friends. It was evening, and I felt the sting of loneliness and I missed my mommy and daddy. Before I know anything, tears started to roll down on my cheeks like rain. I closed my eyes and hold onto my doll tightly.
“Hey, stop crying”
“Wae??” 
“It’s annoying and you’ve got a booger on your face”
I sniffed and wiped my tears. 
“What’s your name?” the boy asked

“Oh Mi-Young” I muttered in between the sharp breaths.
“And yours?”
“Cho Kyuhyun” the boy said. His dark eyes and pale skin made so contrast that he felt luminous to me.