Route 66's Ghosts

Motels Down Route 66 || A Jungkook/OC fanfic

With the radio well and truly broken, Nari was even more bored.

 

No cars showed any signs of turning up anytime soon. After checking on her dying phone very fast, it seemed like she took the scenic route instead of the main highway. That meant the only people who would think to take this route were the tourists, and who knows how many of them there were out their right now with school starting soon. Most families were probably at home finishing summer homework and picking out supplies.

 

Nari tried honking her horn a few times to see if maybe there was a house nearby she some how couldn’t see but nothing happened.

 

Nari began to idle flip through the book she had thrown at the radio once her tears had dried and she could make out the print on the page. It was the book she had bought out of desperation to see the restroom on her first stop of her road trip. It was titled Route 66’s Ghosts in a font that rivaled Comic Sans in tackiness and had the most pathetic looking photoshopped ghost Nari had ever seen. But hey, she wasn’t as bored as she had been before and at least she was getting use out of her impulsive buy.

 

The first few pages were just a boring introduction that she completely skipped after one paragraph of the writer begging the reader to believe in ghosts. 

 

Th first chapter was called, “The Ghost of the Attic in Illinois” and it rivaled horror films in how stereotypical it was. All it needed was a dad saying that the creepy old house would be a fresh start for the family.

 

The second chapter was better only in that it included a picture that “Was taken at the haunting.” Except, the person taking the picture didn’t notice a mirror in the background that didn’t reflect the ghost.

 

But then chapter three caused goosebumps to raise on her arms. The pictures accompanying the passage were of a familiar hotel room. The passage talked about a plumber that had been killed during a storm and how he haunted the room to this day, looking for a way to transcend to the spirit world. Last night with Namjoon flashed through her mind. The room was the exact one she had been in the night before.

 

A large gust of wind hit Nauru’s truck, making and loud rushing sound as it swayed the vehicle from side to side. She glanced around nervously before wrapping her blanket around herself tighter. She flipped past the story that was eerily similar to the ghost’s she had met last night in hopes to return to something cheesy.

 

The next chapter told the store of the owners of a bar. The first ones died in a mysterious accident. The second got killed in a bar accident. The third’s bloody body was found in the bar closet one night with not a single finger print anywhere. Patrons and employees of the bar claim that all the owners still occupied the place. Apparently, they have a sense of humor and love to mess with things so the employees can never find the cleaning products when they need them.

 

In Oklahoma, the spirt of a Native American chief wanders the road, looking for his severed head. All you can make out of him is the light he holds holds to guide himself down the road in the dark. On nights when the moon is hidden by thick clouds, you can hear the sound of his head rolling after it’s body.

 

During the 80’s, a girl who was traveling by herself was stabbed and left to bleed to death on the side of the road. Now she follows other girls who travel the road, appearing at everyone of their stops. She vanishes after the girls die of mysterious circumstances.

 

A murder mystery house in Texas has a few real victims among the fake ones. When the glamorous mansion was still someone’s home, a relative killed them to get ahold of it’s deed. Long after their murder died and passed on the mansion, his victims still haunt the house and make sure it is well kept. If it is not, then they throw violent fits that end in more death and more ghosts to haunt the mansion.

 

A house in Kansas has a small room in the basement with a mirror with the most unholy ghost haunting it. When someone sleeps in the same room as it, they will have nightmares so terrible and realistic  they can’t distinguish them from reality. They loose sleep over it, too afraid of what they might dream to even try to rest. When they began to hallucinate, the mirror begins to project images of themselves being happy whenever they look into it. As the person spends more time in front of the mirror then anywhere else, trying to find some from of happiness in their living hell, the ghost lands the final blow. It shows an image of a doppleganger lying on the bed peacefully while the real person mutilated in pieces on the ground. The person dies by their own hand as they can not take the horrific image.

 

A car was abandoned on the side of the road on Route 66 with the key still in the ignition. When driven, the driver’s hours are counted as they’ll meet their death in the car. People had been driven over by the car, flung out of the car, and crushed in terrible car accidents. But the car itself always resurfaced not long after with not a catch on it’s body.

 

The was the rumbling of a vehicle in the distance and Nari froze. The sun had just set, staining the sky red with blacken clouds hanging heavy over the horizon. As it came closer, she sunk deeper into her blanket, until her face was hidden from view. Her heart began to pound painfully and her breath quicker so much felt raw.

 

It was a idea to read a book filled with ghost stories while she was alone on the side of the rod in the dark.

 

 

A/N: AnuifbiUGBUrgb it’s 4 in the morning where I live and now I’m too scared to go to bed after writing this chapter

 

Sometimes I think writing this story is a terrible idea because I am tERRIFIED OF GHOSTS