A Ludicruous Favor

Love at Non-Sight

Changmin was unimpressed, "So what does Kyujong want now?"

 

Kyuhyun ignored the exasperation in his friend's voice. He knew it had been a mistake to tell Changmin about the email he got from his twin brother. For some reason, his twin and his best friend suddenly developed an antagonistic attitude towards one another in recent years, which was worrying for Kyuhyun, not to mention, surprising as well, considering that they've known each other since they were in their diapers and have been friends ever since.

 

Well, he and Changmin were still the best of friends. Changmin and Kyujong though? Not really.

 

"He's coming home this weekend!" Kyuhyun told him excitedly, figuring that he can at least muster enough happiness to offset Changmin's lukewarm reception of the news. And besides, he was really happy that Kyujong was coming home, even if it was just for a while.

 

Kyujong, to put it simply, was the proverbial prodigal son. Kyuhyun however, believed his twin was just bitten with wanderlust due to restlessness, an understandable phase that most young people go through at one point in their lives. Nevermind that he and Changmin seemed not to suffer from it, nor any of his friends as far as he knew but Kyuhyun adored his twin and would never think ill of him. Kyujong had not stayed home for more than a week each visit for the last five years and his parents had finally stopped pleading with Kyujong to stay and take responsibility of his life. Kyuhyun suspected sadly that his father was deeply disappointed and was now indifferent to his twin's activities.

 

So it was no surprise that his twin's homecoming was only received with excitement by Kyuhyun.

 

"Money or car", Changmin muttered under his breath, these were the two things he was

was betting that Kyujong wanted this time, therefore the trip home. Kyuhyun pretended not to hear however and just planned on how to spend the expectedly short visit with his missed brother. Deep within himself though, he was harboring the same thoughts as Changmin.

 

So it could be viewed as a sort of consolation that Changmin was wrong.

Or maybe not.

 

Because what Kyujong wanted was a lot worse.

 

*************

 

Kyuhyun chuckled with equal delight and confusion. He was happy that the first thing Kyujong did when he came home was to seek him out and take him out to dinner. Kyujong's treat. If this had been any other person, this should have been enough to warn them that malice was afoot. But this was Kyuhyun and to him, Kyujong was always just the misunderstood younger brother.

 

"So, tell me what you've been up to," Kyuhyun coaxed as the waiter took their menus and got their orders.

 

“Oh nothing much,” Kyujong said airily, “Jessica had that fashion show in Hong Kong. Then she’s bringing it to Beijing this Saturday so I also have to prepare for that.”

 

Kyuhyun’s joy at spending time with his twin diminished somewhat at that announcement. But he knew Kyujong was busy with his…well, whatever took his fancy and at the moment, his twin had been convinced by a friend to work as a model, “This… Saturday? But you just got here! Aren’t you going to stay for a few days? Maybe even visit mom and dad?”

 

“No brother dear. Jess is adamant that I walk for her show. Then after that, we’re going on a celebratory cruise. All expenses paid of course. After all, I did help her on her show,” Kyujong had the grace to blush at that. Jessica after all was the designer and called the shots in selecting her models but he continued on nonchalantly, “Besides, I already planned to lunch with mom tomorrow and as for dad…” Kyujong shrugged, “He doesn’t care what I do. I did call him so that should make you proud of me,” he hastily added as he remembered what he came home for.

 

“Well, I’m glad that you took the time to visit before you go.” Kyuhyun had wanted to say that their father actually missed him but knew his brother wouldn’t believe him so he chose to stay silent on the matter. So he steered the conversation to safer topics, basically, Kyujong. True enough, his twin embarked on a continuous and amusing chatter about his activities and as usual, didn’t ask about Kyuhyun. 

 

The waiter arrived just then with their orders so Kyujong waited as the dishes were arranged before continuing. Arranging his face and tone to be at just the right level between casualness and urgency, he said in conspiratorial tones, “Actually, there’s something I want your help on.”

 

Kyuhyun was instantly alert. He put down his fork as he focused on his twin, “Anything! You know I’ll help you in any way I can.”

 

Kyujong hid his smile of triumph and instead, looked at his brother gratefully, “I’m glad you feel that way. So you see, Siwon had an accident…”

 

“Oh my gosh! Is he okay? By the way, who is Siwon?”

 

Kyujong almost rolled his eyes but refrained from doing so. “He’s my current boyfriend. Gosh Kyukyu…” Kyuhyun had to smile as his twin called him by his childhood nickname, “…haven’t you seen his pictures? He’s all over my Instagram.”

 

“Um, you have lots of pictures with other boys too,” Kyuhyun reminded him. His twin was active on social media and Kyuhyun had only opened a Facebook and Instagram account just so he could be updated about Kyujong’s life since he rarely communicated with their family. He was somehow glad that his parents detested social networking sites and only relied on him to know about their other son’s whereabouts. Because if they had seen what Kyuhyun saw on his brother’s accounts…   

 

Kyujong just continued almost smugly, “Well, he used to model and he’s very handsome! Like movie star handsome. He’s also a grandson of that Choi family who owns that chain of department stores in Seoul. And his mother, well she passed away when he was young, was half-English.”

 

“So what happened to him?” Kyuhyun only vaguely knew about the Choi family and even less about the younger members of it. 

 

Kyujong played with the food on his plate, his brows furrowed as he tried to recollect what he had been told and making sure that Kyuhyun understood the story, “Well, he was visiting his grandmother who lives in France and got thrown off his horse,” he nodded as he heard Kyuhyun gasp, “His grandparents have an estate on one of those French countrysides and they have a stable of horses. Anyway, there was a riding party which his grandmother hosted and they celebrated it with fireworks and stuff. One of the makeshift structures to hold the fireworks wasn’t sturdy so Siwon rode near it to right itself up. Apparently, one of the younger kids there had already lit it and it went off just as Siwon got to it. Long story short, one of the fireworks flew to his face. It scared the horse and bolted so Siwon got thrown off.”

 

“Oh my God! Is he okay?!” Kyuhyun was truly shocked but a bit of confusion was also beginning to creep into his awareness. If this Siwon had that accident, then what was Kyujong doing here instead of flying immediately to his boyfriend’s side?

 

“Siwon’s fine,” Kyujong couldn’t quite meet his eyes, “Well, not exactly fine. He got some bruises of course and a sprained ankle when he was thrown off. It will heal of course. It’s just… well…his eyes.”

 

“Why, what happened?”

 

“Well he was hit in the eyes and he’s blind right now,” Kyujong just shrugged then scolded himself for forgetting to act more concerned while Kyuhyun uttered a cry of sympathy. Kyujong quickly added, “It’s nothing to worry about, he’s going to undergo an operation to fix it. They flew the family doctor immediately from Seoul because his father didn’t like a foreign doctor treating his son. Their doctor had told them to wait for the swelling around the eyes to go down before it can be treated. That’s why Siwon’s still in France. His grandmother insisted that he rests there before he flies back here and have his operation.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded as he slowly chewed on his food. Then he asked the question that had been preying on his mind, “So what exactly did you want my help with?”

 

“Well…” Kyujong began hesitantly, this was the tricky part, “His grandmother called me and wants me to go there and cheer up Siwon.”

 

“Well you should definitely go,” Kyuhyun was confused and admitted as much, “I actually thought you’d fly there when you got the news.”

 

Kyujong cleared his throat, “Well I couldn’t because I was doing my fashion shows…

 

“What? You mean this happened days…no, that’s…more than a week ago?!”

 

“…And now I still can’t go,” Kyujong continued as if his twin hadn’t said anything, “I’m already committed to go with Jess on that cruise.” He now looked squarely at his twin, defiance written all over his face.

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t believe what he heard, “But- But he’s your boyfriend…” his voice trailed off as Kyujong still looked at him unblinkingly, “He’s badly hurt. Blind even. You have to be by his side!” Kyuhyun rarely scolded his twin.

 

Kyujong sighed, trying another tactic, “You don’t understand Kyukyu, Jess has also invited other fashion designers and models on that cruise. If I don’t go, they’ll surely get my place and I won’t get a spot on their lineup,” he explained almost pleadingly, “It was for my sake that Jess had thought of inviting those people.”

 

“But Siwo-…”

 

“He’ll be fine,” Kyujong hastily assured him, “Besides, once he gets here, I’ll be with him. I’ll even make sure to hold his hand while he gets taken to surgery,” he said seriously and convincingly, “He won’t know the difference.”

 

Kyuhyun was confused once more, “What do you mean? Difference?”

 

Kyujong stilled. Oh no! He completely forgot that important part.  Assuming his most pleading, most innocent and most helpless expression, he said softly, “Didn’t you just say that you’ll help me with anything?” Kyuhyun nodded. “Well, I just told you why I have to go with Jessica. It’s my chance to further my career. You do understand that, don’t you?” Then quite emboldened when Kyuhyun nodded more vigorously, he took a deep breath before he explained further, “And I also don’t want to lose Siwon. He’s the ideal catch! How many sons of prominent families are openly gay and their family are still supportive of them? So you see my dilemma? I need to be on that cruise and I need to be in France but I can’t be in two places at once.”

 

Kyuhyun stayed silent, he was about to comment on his brother’s very un-loverlike reasons for being with Siwon but just decided to wait for his brother to continue. Maybe he was just oversensitive. Maybe Kyujong just worded it wrongly. He didn’t know that Kyujong’s next words would truly affect his life.

 

“I can’t be in two places at once. I need to be on that cruise so I can’t go to France. But…we can make it seem like I was there,” Kyujong spoke slowly, letting the meaning of his words sink in. He saw comprehension dawn on his twin’s face.

 

And also horror.

 

“No!” Kyuhyun almost shouted then ducked his head when some of the other restaurant patrons turned to look their way. “You can’t be serious!” he whispered pleadingly to Kyujong, “I-… We-…How can you even think of doing this to your own boyfriend?!”

 

“But I thought you understood why I have to go with Jessica?”  

 

“Then why can’t I go with Jessica pretending to be you? Or even tell her about it. I can talk and mingle with the others as you, and Jessica can guide me. This will be a bit…kinder.” To your boyfriend. That last thought, Kyuhyun didn’t say out loud.

 

Kyujong just raised an eyebrow at him and said almost condescendingly, “I’m sorry my dear brother. But even though we look the same…you…” He paused as one hand followed his gaze, slowly looking from Kyuhyun’s shiny, black locks to his big, round eyes, and the lean shoulders and chest. “…won’t do. You don’t have that quality I have. The designers look for that certain aura to model for them. You’re gorgeous of course,” Kyujong added hurriedly, in case Kyuhyun got offended and refused to help him, “We both are. We’re identical twins for god’s sake! But you’re too raw. They want more polish.”

 

Kyuhyun may adore his twin but he didn’t suffer from other illusions. Kyuhyun had always been the family favorite, the smarter twin, the more popular among their childhood friends and it was because of these reasons that Kyuhyun had unconsciously made him want to protect Kyujong. The guilt that he was born first, got more attention, was more cherished by the people who were close to them. On some level, Kyuhyun knew that this had been the reason why his brother had wanted to get away. 

 

So Kyujong’s comment didn’t bother him at all. There was that unbidden thought in his mind that Kyujong didn’t want him on that cruise because he might actually get booked for shows. And it would be all Kyuhyun’s doing. No, what concerned Kyuhyun more was how could his brother even think that he could fool Siwon. They were physically similar and Siwon may be blind now but he would definitely know he wasn’t Kyujong, not to mention Siwon’s relatives.

 

Already anticipating Kyuhyun’s misgivings, Kyujong explained quickly, “You have nothing to worry about in France. I’ve only talked to his grandmother on the phone but we haven’t met each other yet. The only relatives of Siwon I’ve met are his sister and one of his maternal cousins and they both won’t be there,” Kyujong raised a hand to stop Kyuhyun from speaking, “Siwon and I have only been together for less than three months and as we’re both very busy people, we kept in touch more by phone and just went out for a grand total of not more than ten times. Enough to get to second base or whatever necking is considered which base but we haven’t slept with each other yet, so don’t worry your al head over it, “Kyujong smirked at his blushing twin.

 

Kyuhyun sputtered, his face getting redder as he looked around the restaurant, looking to see if anyone heard what his brother said, “I-… Its-… It’s not that!” Kyujong had always been more ually mature and had been out of the closet since they were adolescents. Kyuhyun though had been somewhat of a late bloomer, only platonic relationships until he graduated from college. He had dated girls but had only actually been in a relationship with a boy. So yeah, he was also gay. If this hadn’t been the case, Kyujong would have been asking for the moon right now, adored brother or not.  

 

“That’s not what I meant and you know it,” Kyuhyun hissed then at Kyujong’s questioning glance, he elaborated, “How do I talk to him? I obviously don’t know what your topic of conversations are or know your mutual friends. Or what you’ve already talked about. And what about-”

 

Kyujong clapped his hands in glee, “So you’re going to do it? That’s great,” he didn’t wait for his twin to reply and motioned for the bill. Ignoring Kyuhyun’s protests, he paid for the food and almost dragged Kyuhyun out the restaurant.

 

“Now let’s get home quickly. I need to coach you on Siwon’s profile and then tomorrow, we’re going to the hairdresser’s,” Kyujong saw Kyuhyun clutch his hair protectively and snorted, “Relax, your hair is shorter than mine so we can’t do anything about that. But Siwon met me with this color,” he patted his soft, brown hair proudly, “so we need to have it dyed the same color.”

 

Kyuhyun’s head was whirling. Surely Kyujong must realize that everything was wrong with this plan and that his hair color was the least of their worries.

 

Then Kyujong suddenly grabbed his arm just as he was about to take out the keys to his car. “There’s one important thing though that you have to remember,” Kyujong said seriously.

 

Kyuhyun looked at him questioningly, wondering what could be more important than Siwon finding out he was an impostor. And hoping his twin finally realized that.

                 

Kyujong’s voice was pleasant but there was an underlying threat in his tone which belied the smile on his lips.

 

“You will pretend to be me. But never forget, Kyukyu, Siwon belongs to me.”

 

---TBC

 

A/N: I'm not entirely sure if I still know the people here or if some still remember my unfinished fics xD. Anyway, for those who do, I have a partly boring explanation on my LJ http://cicquerette.livejournal.com/10256.html  at the spoilered end. For those who don't, well hello fellow WonKyu shippers!