Chapter one

Leave Him Alone
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yoongi stumbled into his classroom, bowing and walking to his seat at the back of the class. "You're late, Min Yoongi, that's the fourth time this month," his homeroom teacher snapped at him. Yoongi didn't care. He mumbled an apology and slumped into his chair. 


His teacher shook her head, "where was I?" She paused for a second, tapping her lip with a finger before continuing, "ah, we have a new student. He should be arriving at any point now. Please treat-" The sound of the door opening interrupted her, and immidiately all the students stood up and bowed as their head teacher walked in.


Behind him was a small boy who kept his head down. His hair was oak brown and messy, and he wore huge glasses on his face. After the head teacher and homeroom teacher quietly exchanged words, the boy was brought to the front of the class, and the homeroom teacher asked him to introduce himself. 


The boy looked up at the class. His cheeks were slightly chubby and flushed with colour, and he spoke quietly, but Yoongi could make out a Busan accent. "Hello, my name is Park Jimin, I just moved here from Busan. Please welcome me!" He flashed a smile that made his eyes disappear, and Yoongi found it adorable. He looked away, blushing. Min Yoongi doesn't find people 'cute.'


The new boy, Park Jimin was placed right in front of the kid he sat next to, school bully Jeon Jungkook. Yoongi could only imagine how this could end up. He noticed Jungkook eyeing the boy as he walked over, a smirk on his lips. When homeroom was over, Jimin turned around to face Jungkook, a huge smile plastered across his face, "Hello, I'm Park Jimin, nice to meet you." The boy extended his hand. Jungkook scoffed, "And? Turn around kid, I don't wanna look at your face, it's putting me off my lunch already."


It bothered Yoongi when he saw the boy's smile fade, and he awkwardly took away his hand, turning around. 'What an .' Yoongi hated Jungkook. They were good friends some years ago, but as Jungkook reached puberty, he became more attractive, more popular, and more nasty. Their friendship ended in a fist fight, with Yoongi and Jungkook being arrested. They fought because Yoongi was getting sick of the younger letting his newfound popularity go to his head. 


Yoongi sighed and put his head on the desk. It wasn't his business. He didn't have time to get involved. He closed his eyes and went to sleep. English was next, and he hated that subject. Luckily, on the other side of him was the best English student in the class, and his best friend, Namjoon. Namjoon allowed Yoongi to copy his answers in tests so that he didn't fail. 


He was so tired that he even slept through economics class too. The teachers had given up on waking him up in class. They never got anything other than a grumble, and maybe him staying awake for another five or so minutes before drifting back to sleep again. 

 


"Lunch time!!!!!!" The daily alarm sounded Hoseok yelled. Yoongi lifted his head and groaned. Hoseok and Taehyung, the class clowns were circling the classroom, flailing their arms about. He noticed Jimin watching them in awe. "Yoongi, are you coming?" Namjoon asked, already standing at the door. Yoongi yawned loudly, and shook his head, leaning on his desk again. He was tired and had a headache, and the last thing he needed was the loud canteen making his head worse.


The room finally went silence and Yoongi sighed happily. He thought he was alone until he heard a Busan accent speaking nearby, "Hello? Hi dad." Yoongi looked up to see Jimin on his phone. "Yeah, everyone's really nice here," Jimin lowered his head, and Yoongi thought back to earlier when Jungkook had been rude. His stomach twisted slightly. "How is mum doing?" Yoongi plugged his earphones in and went back to sleep, this conversation wasn't his business.

 

 

 

As Yoongi stepped on the bus, he noticed Jimin quietly sitting at the front of the bus. He had his earphones in, and so did Yoongi, so he decided not to bother him, and instead sat elsewhere. It was a quiet bus, since most kids went to town after school or stayed behind for clubs. Of course Yoongi was too lethargic in nature to do either of those things, and he preferred going home. Occassionally Namjoon would persuade him to come out, but that was never often.


Jimin got off at the hospital stop, and Yoongi became curious. He shrugged it off and continued doodling over his notebook as the bus took off again. It wasn't his business after all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Hey! That's mine! Get your own lunch!" A Busan accent interrupted Yoongi's thoughts, and he looked up from his fried rice to see what was happening. He saw Jimin sat at a table alone, chopsticks still in his hands, and Jungkook and a few of his loser friends standing around him. It looked like Jungkook had taken they boy's lunch. It wasn't an unusual thing to happen, Jungkook always stole somebody's lunch.


"It's my lunch actually, you bought it for me. Go and buy yourself some food if you want," Jungkook sneered. "Please give me my lunch back. I don't have any more money," Jimin pleaded. The boys scoffed and walked off. Jimin stood up, "Please! I will buy you some lunch tomorrow! Just please give me my lunch today!" The boy sounded desperate, and by now, everyone in the canteen had turned to watch.


Jungkook looked down at the tray of food as if he was deep in thought. "You really want your lunch that much?" He asked, and Jimin nodded shyly. "Okay, I'm not that mean of a person," he said, walking towards Jimin, who had a huge smile on his face. Jungkook looked down at the boy, who was much shorter than he was. "Here," he said, tipping the tray and all of its contents over the shorter boy. Curry sauce slopped all over his head, dripping down his face and onto his uniform, followed by rice.


There was complete silence as everyone watched what was happening. Yoongi watched as Jimin ran out the canteen. "What an ," Namjoon whispered to Yoongi. Yoongi stabbed at his rice with his chopsticks, not wanting to get involved. But for some reason he felt guilty. "Yeah. He's always been an ," he muttered under his breath.

 

 

The classroom was filled with sneers and giggles as Jimin walked in. He was wearing a sports uniform that the school had lent to him for the rest of the day. Yoongi noticed how his eyes seemed puffy and red as he walked past him, slumping into his seat. He still had noticeable amounts of curry sauce in his now-damp hair. He kept his head down and scribbled in his notebooks. Yoongi put his head down on the desk. It wasn't his business. Even so, his heart ached and he thought about Jimin all day after that.


Yoongi pretended to listen as the teacher drawled on about different mathematical equations. He was bored. Why did maths matter? It wasn't important for what he wanted to do. Yoongi wanted to be a music producer, not a mathematician. He looked over at Jimin who was taking notes almost furiously, scribbling down diagrams and side notes. 'Cute.'

 

 

 

 


The bus stopped at the hospital and Yoongi looked up to see Jimin getting on. He became more curious about the boy, why was he getting out of the hospital at 7:30 in the morning? He ignored it, it wasn't his problem. Still, he found himself glancing at the boy often. Jimin stood at the front of the bus, allowing some elderly people to take the last seats.  


When they arrived at the school, Yoongi walked behind Jimin, keeping enough distance so that he wouldn't feel uneasy. For some weird reason, he wanted to stay close to the boy, almost like he wanted to protect him from Jungkook. "Yoongi-hyung!" Taehyung annoyingly called, running towards him with his best friend, Hoseok following closely. Yoongi sighed and stopped walking, still keeping watch as Jimin walked into the building. "You're not late for once!" Hoseok cheered, wrapping his arms around him. Yoongi hated skinship with a passion, he rudely pushed him away, but Hoseok just grinned widely. Everyone was used to Yoongi's cold and uncaring attitude, and Taehyung and Hoseok knew not to take it personally. 


He ended up walking into class with the two clowns, who were excitedly discussing how much money they thought was in the late fee box. "How much money have you given the school, Yoongi?" Taehyung asked curiously. Yoongi just shrugged and sat in his seat. "He's given in enough money to pay for a new sports hall, probably," Seokjin joked, turning around to join their conversation. 


Yoongi directed his attention to the new boy. He was sat quietly, unpacking his bags and preparing for class to start. Yoongi swore the boy was frowning. "Oh Jimin!" Hoseok called, and Jimin turned to face them, his eyes wide. "Y-yes?" Yoongi thought he was probably expecting more harrassment. "Did they have a late fee at your old school?" The boy's face visably relaxed, and he smiled slightly, "yes we did. I was only late once though," he explained.

Please log in to read the full chapter