fly

Butterfly

He sat right next to me. Right here. I can still feel the warmth of his body next to mine. I remember his laugh. He told me he would make me laugh. He told me he was going to do something funny, and that I shouldn't say a single word, tracing my lips with his finger. He whispered that I should just keep laughing. He told me he wanted to hear my laugh, that I should never stop laughing no matter what happened. He made me promise him. He made me promise that I'd always stay by his side, that I should never leave him. He said he'd do the same and that he'd always be here for me. Right by my side. 

 
And he stood up. I can remember everything. He stood up and his warmth left me. He grinned down at me and stumbled to the tower and climbed.  Smiling the whole time. He climbed so high. It was graceful, the way his limbs flew up the tower. 
 
He climbed all the way to the top. All the way. And he stood still like a frozen being, smiling the whole time. He never stopped smiling. I should have known there was something wrong with his smile. He told me I'd laugh so much. He shouted at me, crying out that my laugh was beautiful and I should laugh louder so he could hear me. He told me he loved my laugh, he loved my voice, he loved how every soft syllable fell against his waiting ears. He loved everything about me. He told me he loved me. 
 
My body became alert, I knew something was wrong then. There was a feeling I couldn't explain. There was something wrong about his smile, something wrong about his laugh, something wrong about what he was telling me. And everything wrong with what he was doing.  As I watched him stand so high up above me, smiling the whole time, I had a bad feeling in my gut. It was an unfamiliar pain and I didn't know what it was. I shouted at him, asking, telling, begging, pleading him to come down. 
 
"Taehyung please!!!" I choked out, sobs escaping my raw throat. "Taehyung come down!!" 
 
He shook his head and grinned, telling me it was okay and that I should keep laughing. And then he flew. His movements, once again so graceful. Not rough in any way. His limbs gliding majestically. He flew straight into the light, like a butterfly. 
 
He didn't hear my laugh. He heard my scream instead.