Chapter 7

When Worlds Collide

 

 

*Back to Haeun's POV 

I ended the rest of the weekend on a good note. I was able to get some tips and send some money down to my family and finish all my homework for the next two days. I hung out with Izzie for the most part since she was my roommate and all I did was sleep other than work. I hadn't spoken to Joowon since we spent time together after he picked me up from work on saturday. I still couldn't shake this feeling about him. It was like he wanted to tell me something, or he didn't and was hiding it from me. He was confusing me. I was honestly very surprised when I saw him that night. I didn't expect him to be the kind of guy to be, well, nice. Not that he was a mean person but he just seemed so cold to everyone, me included. I thought that was the only side to him. Anyway it was back to shool and I had already went through three of my six classes already. All I had to do was get through Spanish, Math and Art, which was photography for me (one of my favorite things). But before I did any of that I was walking to lunch. I was starving and today I was walking alone because no one else had my last class. I thought I would get there without being bothered but of course it was to good to be true, because I could see Seoyeon and her friends walking up to me. Other then the occasional pushing past me in the dorms she didn't really bother me this weekend, mostly because I'm always working, I guess she was here to make up for that. I try to keep walking hoping maybe for once I'm wrong, nut she grabs a hold of my arm and pulls me back to stand in front of her. The books in my hand falling to the floor. I drop on my knees, tucking my hair behind my ear as I begin picking up my books while I hear Seoyeon begin to talk. 

"Were you just going to walk past and not say hi to your friends Haeun? That must not be it right?" she says, putting on a fake friendly voice as here friends giggle. I stand up but I keeo my head down. 

"You must not have seen us right?" she says, her voice becoming colder and she pushes my shoulder, me stumbling back a little. I look up, sighing, still deciding to stay quite. "Hey guys, it looks like we might be bothering here." she says chuckling and looking to her friends who scoff and chuckle with her. "Im sorry Haeun, do you not want to talk to us? Are we bothering you?" she says getting closer. I can't help but to think of how nice it would feel to slap her, but I stay still. "dangsin-eun uliga simjieo singyeong yeong-gwang haeyahanda. jonjung ui beolim eul baeunda. (you should be honored that we even bother with you. learn some respect outcast.)" she says before raising her hand and slapping the books out of my hand, making them fall to the floor for the second time. "nappeun e dangsin-i naleul ihaehaneun babo e iss-eo (to bad you're to stupid to understand me)" she says sighing with contentment before stepping over my books and walking away with her friends. 

I wonder if she knew I could understand if she would be so quick to say such harsh things to me. I hold back the tears and pick my books up again. I walk into the cafeteria and immediately sit down at the table where everyone else had already gotten their food. 

"Where were you"? Youngdo asks 

"naega yaegihago sipji anh-ayo (I don't want to talk about it)." I say before crossing my arms on the table and laying my head on them. 

"What did she say?" it was Nick this time 

"She says she doesn't want to discuss it" Dohyun replies. I can feel everyone's eyes on me but I ignore it. 

"Are you not going to eat?" asks Jordan

"No" is all I say. And for the rest of the lunch perioe I don't speak to anyone. 

****

After the awkward lunch session I finish my classes and go straight to the dance studio. On my way I get a few calls from Jordan and Rebecca but I decide to just turn my phone off. I get to the dance studio and for the next few hours all I do is dance. I was so stressed, and at that point all I could think about was dancing. After dancing for a while when it happened, I began to cry. It wasn't the first time. Every once in a while everything I have built up slowly comes out and I would cry, releasing everything as I danced. This was another one of those times. That is until I look in the mirror and see someone standing behind me. Startled I gasp holding onto my chest, tears still streaming down my face. I stop the music and turn around facing Joowon. 

"Why did you come?" I ask 

"dangsin-eun wae ulgoissda (why are you crying)?" he asks.

I decide to not answer his question. Standing up and wiping my face with my hands I mumble back "I'm fine." before beginning to grab my bag and put my jacket on, a little upset that he walked in on me. 

"I'm sorry if I upset you by coming in, it's just that your phone was off and you hadn't explained anything at lunch. Everyone was worried and I remembered Youngdo telling us you danced, so I came here to see if my assumption was accurate." he says, with me now standing in front of him. 

"It's ok" is all I can bring myself to say, surprised that he would even care. It's silent before I decide to just walk past him and out the door. I didn't want to come off rude but it was all I could think to do. Soon though I feel who I can only assume to be Joowon grab my arm, but he doesn't stop walking. In fact his pace is quick and I try hard to keep up. I don't know what this is leading to and I become a little nervous. 

"mwohaneungeoya? (what are you doing?)" I ask 

"geunyang nal ttalawa (just follow me)." 

"naneun seontaeg-ui yeojiga byeollo eobsneun (I don't have much of a choice)". I say, referring to his hold on my arm. We reach the parking lot and he unlocks his car and lets go of my arm walking over to it. I stand firm in my place. 

"deul-eo oseyo (get in)". He says looking at me before sitting in the drivers seat. I think for a minute just standing there. Where could he possibly want to go now? And an even more important question, why on earth would he want to go with me? I let my curiousity get the best of me and I walk over to the passenger side opening the door and getting in. I buckle my seat belt and look over at Joowon. He's now on his phone viguriously typing before sitting down and starting up the car. We don't say anything as he drives, the only noise being the music from the radio system. I realized that he was using gps and I tried to see where the destination was set for but I couldn't see it. After about 15 minutes he parks, I frantically look around to see if anything stands out. He gets out the car grabbing his phone and keys before walking away from the car. I get out and follow him across to the street and into a pizza place. He brought me out to get pizza? I was confused. He grabs two menus before walking over to a table and sitting down. I make my way over and sit in front of him. He looks up from his menu at me. 

"Have you been here before?" he asks 

"All the time." 

"I figured you would be hungry, you didn't eat lunch. I also figured we could get off campus seeing as how you aren't having one of your better days. I chose this place becuase pizza's one of my favorite foods." 

"Mine too." I say slowly. Pizza was really one of my favoirte foods, I eat it all the time. "Why do you care though?" I ask 

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you being so nice to me? Why does it matter to you whether or not I have a good day? I know I'm friends with the other guys, but I never expected you to want to be friends." I speak honestly 

"What if I want to?"

"What?"

"What if I want to be friends? Would that be ok? For us to be friends too?" I'm a little taken back by his questioning, but thinking on it I have no reason to see being friends with him a bad thing. 

"Yeah, we can be friends" I say, smiling slightly. Someone comes over in that moment and takes our orders. Turns out we both like the same pizza. Pepporoni. After we get our food we eat and talk, and even though I'm a little awkward at first, I become comfortable with Joowon, almost like we've always known each other. We finish up and pay along with leaving the waiter with a tip before leaving. We walk out the pizza place and head back to his car. 

"Thank you Joowon, I actually am feeling a lot better." I say honestly 

"Good. That's what I'm here for"

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask. He chuckles 

"Nothing" he says, getting in the car. I do the same and we drive back to school. We get back and I get a text from Nick saying everyone is in the student lounge. It took me a minute of convincing, but I got Joowon to come with me. We walk in and people notice, some become quite. I notice some of the korean students in a corner looking at us and whispering. Joowon begins to walk over to our friends, and I follow. 

"We didn't see you guys at dinner, where were you?" Dohyun asks

"We went to a pizza place" I say 

"So with that being said I can assume you're feeling better" Jordan says chuckling. Ichuckle too and nod.

"Yeah, I am." 

"Good! Because I did not want to deal with a sad roommate tonight!" Izzie says, making us all laugh. We all stayed in the lounge for a few hours after that, laughing and joking around, playing games and just having a nice break. It was around ten when we decided it was best for us to go and get some sleep, it being a school night. I thanked Joowon again for today and we all went our seperate ways. After getting back in the dorms Izzie and Becky began to ask me about everything that happened with my mode earlier and with Joowon after. I told them the story and after that we all went to bed. I was tired and definitely needed it.