Your World

Your World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of your voice carried off by the wind, floating off into a space where no one could hear but yet everything could hear. The world was all around you and even if people tended to forget that they weren't the only ones who could speak and listen, you enjoyed the thought of your audience being the ones that people forgot about. The plants, animals, insects, water, clouds, stars, they were all around and they truly saw everything, they heard everything, they felt everything. Late at night in this spot, a little niche of nature not too from from your house and off the beaten path so to speak was comforting to you. Your voice could be as loud or as soft as you wanted and your audience heard you. It was peaceful, a place where you could sing uninhibited with full confidence. A home away from home type of feel to you.  This spot was always quiet in the sense that people weren't around being their bumbling noisy selves. Even though it was quiet, it was alive and that energy filled you up from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head. The wind brought a soothing blanket around your skin that sometimes made you shiver but always felt nice.

 

Tonight was no different. It ruffled your hair but you didn't mind, didn't bother to fix the stray hairs that now strung across your face because you were singing proudly about whatever your heart felt like singing. Sometimes you sang whatever words came to mind like a story one would write down on paper. Other times you'd sing a song that was popular on the radio. Right now was an old favorite of your parents. One of those songs you grow up hearing throughout the house and by default know all the words to and like simply because of it's warm familiarity. The creaks and moans of the nature around you was comforting, so much so that you barely noticed them anymore. They just were just as you just were. Here in this place, in this time.

 

'Crac-k...'

 

A broken branch? Perhaps? Who did it? Maybe a critter that was scuttling about. Your ears had picked up on it but your mind was lost in your song and couldn't be bothered by it. Except that inate feeling of something else being there couldn't escape your body. The back of your neck and arms felt it. Goosebumps sporadically dotted your arms, the hair standing straight up. However looking behind you wasn't an option. Your song didn't want to be interrupted and quite frankly you didn't mind. The silence that enveloped the area wasn't something that could be ignored. Your little world had an intruder of some sort. The longer you stood there the more apparent it became. The plants, the animals, insects even the wind was at a standstill. An interruption could no longer be ignored even by you.

 

Letting out a sigh, you glanced behind you to find that very apparent intruder not even bothering to hide. He stood tall gazing back into your eyes. Turning back to the view in front of you, the city lights and the sky above you hoped he would leave. The man was unrecognizable to you and this was your place. Sharing didn't particularly appeal to you. Neither you nor he said anything but you could feel his eyes on you.

 

'Crack'

 

Another branch broke underneath his foot. This man didn't know how to walk quietly in the wilderness. Most people didn't, they lived in the city, not on the land. It was different. It wasn't long before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter