003

Lost Stars

Flashback 

          “Damn it!” she cursed, throwing her playing cards down at the table. “How do you always win? I’m the queen of blackjack.” Jungkook grinned proudly, showcasing his cards. 

          “Well, I’m the king of blackjack. And king always beats queen.” Cara sighed, unknowingly jutting out her bottom lip as she slouched back in her seat. The two were at the thrift shop again, spending another hour playing around while listening to The Eagles. “Well then beat it, Sonic. You’re cheating.” She accused. 

They engaged in a playful argument for another ten or so minutes, with Cara accusing Jungkook of cheating as he tries to defend himself. 

“Fine. I cheated.” He lied, just so Cara could stop accusing him. “See? That wasn’t so hard, now was it?” She smirked, gathering the cards back in one pile. “Another round?” Jungkook asked, checking his phone for the time. 

“Mm. No. I’ve conducted a new theory.” She said, earning interest from the latter. “I have a theory,” she began, “that we should go to a casual party.”

“ hat wasn’t a theory.” Jungkook blurted, and Cara threw him a glare. “I’m not done yet, Sonic. We’ll go to a casual party- where normally people wear normal clothes- in formal clothes. Everyone would definitely be confused.” 

          Jungkook frowned. That doesn’t sound fun at all. He thought. “Come on,” she begged, “it’ll be fun. Plus, my cousin’s throwing one of those parties this weekend so we could just go then.” Jungkook pondered for a bit, contemplating whether he should go and make a fool of himself in front of everybody or become a fool of himself in front of Cara. 

“Alright.” He said with finality. Cara grinned and clasps her hands together. “Great. Pick me up here? At seven?” Jungkook nodded and smiled back, unsure what has yet to come.

 –

          It was Saturday, the night of the party Jungkook and Cara were going to. Standing in his neatly pressed suit and black leathered shoes, Jungkook made his way to a mirror, fixing his bow tie. “God, this is going to be embarrassing.” He muttered. Jungkook pulled up his sleeve to check the time on his watch, which read 6:45. He left his apartment complex and drove to the thrift shop, where they opened until midnight. The store was quiet, as usual, with the dim lights making it hard to see. “Cara?” he called out her name. 

Shut up.” Jungkook heard a voice ahead of him. 

It was Cara. 

          Cara hid behind a bookshelf where the records were kept, holding her phone up to her ear as she was engaged into a conversation with someone over the phone. Jungkook leant against the other side of the bookshelf, listening quietly. 

         “Wow, you think?” she asked, anger fuming inside her. “So you just happened to write an obituary for someone you know?” There was pause after that, as Cara listened intently to the other end of the line. “Flattered?” she scoffed, “Flattered that I, how did you put it, was grateful for the time you spent sitting at my hospital bed? Helping me through the pain?” Jungkook could hear the speaker on the other end of the line trying to explain, but it was muffled. 

          “Oh, sure!” she said sarcastically, “You totally weren’t trying to exploit me. Your words not mine.” The other line went quiet, before trying to speak again but Cara cut through sharply. “No, I don’t care. And I don’t want to hear it. Because the thing is I’m not sick. I’m not dead. I’m not dying. And here’s another thing, while we’re at it. I hate you and I never want to see your face again, you coward.” 

          Jungkook could tell that she hung up, because the next thing she said was, “Jungkook, I know you’re listening.” He froze, not knowing what to say. He could hear Cara sigh and walk to the other side of the bookshelf where he was. She stayed at the end of the bookshelf facing him, her arms folded as she leaned on one side against the shelf. “Not too bad.” She eyed his outfit, trying to lighten up the mood. And that was when Jungkook noticed. Cara had on a strapless pink dress that flowed out so gracefully and glides with her every step, rhinestones decorating the hems and was placed at random. Her dark brown hair had soft curls, framing her face and she wore so little makeup that he could barely tell. She was stunning. 

“Ahem,” she interrupted, looking slightly uncomfortable. “Thank me later for this brilliant idea. But maybe we should go?” Jungkook nodded subconsciously and followed her out into his car, where the two drove off to their unofficial first date. 

End of Flashback 

          Jungkook jolted up from the bed, with cold sweat on his forehead. His whole body was shaking but he didn’t know whether it was just his nightmare that scared him or his high fever. “.” He cursed, his eyes glassy with tears as a tried to get a grip. 

His body trembled as he harshly wiped the tears away, staring hard onto the bed and gathering a fistful of blanket sheets into his hand. After a few moments trying to calm down, Jungkook reached for the notebook he placed by his window, cold from the lack of use. 

He flipped through the pages, his eyes scanning through some words until he reached where he left off. He grabbed the nearest pen and wrote down vigorously, muttering to himself. 

I’ll be damned, Cupid’s demanding back his arrow.