Bon Vivant

PHILOPHOBIA |PAUSED|

 

 

 

Bon Vivant - A lover of live; He who lives life to it's fullest


 

 

Chanyeol hated long car rides. Being situated in one place for an extended period of time was not his forte. He almost felt trapped, like a jack in the box who was only freed of his confinement when needed. Of course it was an exaggeration, but that's just who Chanyeol was.

 

He was an oversized happy-go-lucky kind of guy with a heart in proportion to his height.

 

Today was a little different. Today was his first day at a new highschool, in a completly new part of Korea, and he could not stress how stressed out he was.

 

On top of that, he had only gotten 5 hours of sleep the night before and was exhausted. Great way to start a new year, he thought.

 

By new year, he meant new half of a year because he transferred when school had started like four months ago. He blamed that on his dad. If his dad hadn't gone off and gotten himself arrested he would have come here earlier. But as his mother used to tell him, 'bad things always happen to good people'.

 

Anyways, after four long months of signing useless paperwork and completely wasting Chanyeol's precious and juvenile time, they were here.

 

Not a very dignified school but a school nevertheless. That and it was a close distance from his new house, only a couple blocks away.

 

Chanyeol had been told that this specific highschool was the birthplace to one of South Korea's most notorious gangs. His 'friends' were almost worried about him. Chanyeol just thought it was cool.

 

--

 

Chanyeol had arrived at the door of the school. It was big and looked straight out of a horror movie. He held tightly onto the straps of his backback, ignoring the shivers journeying down his back, making his way inside.

 

The inside of the building wasn't any different. The corridors were dim and there was a small hole on the ceiling from wich droplets of murky water fell.

 

Chanyeol gave no thought to the pungent smell of mildew and headed straight to where, he assumed, the principal's office was.

 

"Good morning", a haggard looking man stood up from an aged leather chair and greeted Chanyeol with confusion, "may I ask who you are young man?"

 

Said boy diverted his eyes to the worn out wooden floor and spoke in a hushed voice. "Im Park Chanyeol sir. I was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but my mother had very important business to attend to, and since we haven't properly moved in, she found it necessary for me to come to school today. I apologize for the inconvinience." Chanyeol bowed his head politley.

 

"No need to apologize son," the mans eyes crinkled with kindness, " I'll see what arrangements we can make for you today. For now you are free to wander around the school, familiarize yourself with it so you won't get lost tomorrow. But no entering classrooms okay?" The principal stood and gave Chanyeol a small pat on the back.

 

Chanyeol did as the man said and quietly walked through the lonesome hallways. His ears picking up on every little squeak and echo the floorboards made when he stepped down.

 

~Everybody Everybody Every-Everybody, ne mameul heundeureo~

 

Chanyeol jumped a good 10 inches and gave out a small grunt when he felt his phone vibrating against his hip. Three big letters appeared on his screen. MOM. Thankful that no one had heard him, he answered.

 

"What do you want mom? Why are you calling me right now?" Chanyeol tried his hardeset not to raise his voice at his mother.

 

"Did they tell you anything at school Chanyeol? Will they not let you in? Oh no, did they give you detention!?" Mrs Park seemed more interested in that last part than in anything else.

 

"Everything's alright mom. They said everything was okay, and I honestly don't see the point in you worrying after you left me off at school." Chanyeol could hear his mother's breathing get heavier and more pronounced.

 

"Chanyeol I don't want ANYTHING going on your permanent record okay!? I don't want you getting F's or D's or C's and I most definitely do not want to see a mark on your perfectly pristine school record, UNDERSTOOD. I need you to tell me if you got scolded or not."

 

Chanyeol burst through a blue door at the end of the hallway that read 'Boy's Restroom' hoping it was empty. "I SAID I WAS FINE!" Chanyeol instantly regretted screaming at his mother. She could be stubborn and very irritable at times, but she always did it so her son could have a promising future, and not have to marry off like she had to.

 

"Im sorry Channie, I didn't mean to yell. I'll see you at hime later. Love you darling. Bye."

 

Chanyeol wasn't about to apologize, but felt that just hanging up would be a bit too mean.

 

"Love you too. Bye." He hung up and was about to head out the door when he heard something like a whimper coming from one of the stalls. Chanyeol was never one to in on other people's problems but some kind of strange magic forced his feet to move forward and check on the crying boy.

 

When he approached the stall he saw a pair of feet lift up from the ground and disappear from his sight. As much as Chanyeol wanted to unhinge the door and see what was wrong, he knew he couldn't. Whoever was in there obviously didn't want to be bothered, even if they did need help.

 

So he turned around and left, not without giving one last glance at the boy trapped behind the grey wall of plastic.

 

He stood outside questioning what had just happened, completely forgetting about the previous argument he had had with his mother. He heard the door behind him start to open, so he dashed behind the wall separating the classrooms and offices. He saw a small figure step out, and although he couldn't see clearly, he knew the boy had been crying.

 

The boy was rather short and had auburn colored hair, perfectly matching the seasons colors. Chanyeol thought for a moment that if he were to lift the boy, he would weigh less than the backpack he was carrying at the moment. The boy just seemed so helpless and fragile.

 

Chanyeol pondered about why in the world he was worrying about a boy he had only seen moments ago. A boy who Chanyeol had never seen in his life. Chanyeol almost felt nauseous.

 

Chanyeol noticed said boy walking over to where he was. Had he been caught? Chanyeol squished himself against the wall behind him, praying not to be seen. The boy just zoomed past him, quickly turning left and out of Chanyeol's view.

 

He was left alone in the dim hallway, asking himself why his heart was beating so fast. He clutched at his chest and sat down, inhaling slowly to even out his breathing.

 

Chanyeol stared at the place he had last seen the boy with the light pink backpack, who was now imprinted into his memory, swearing to look for him tomorrow. Maybe they would get along and become good friends. Heck! Maybe even best friends. Maybe.

 


A/N: Sorry if it took a while to update. School is hard so you know. This is also barely edited so sorry!

(Feel free to give me any feedback)