All Surrounded

Bite the Bullet - Oneshot Introduction

A mix of yells and shouts echoed throughout the abandoned girl’s middle-high school when a desk shot through the weak bars guarding the window. The distant crash of the desk into the field wild with overgrown yellow grass reverberated into the air as echoes of birds flocked into the sky from the scare. The crash was nowhere as exhilarating as the utter panic and angry confusion leaking through the girls inside the room crammed with desks.

“Don’t move!” someone screamed.

“Let her go!” another retaliated with gun raised in the air, the gun clicking.

Nearest the board scrawled with graffiti and unreadable white chalk writings fading over time two furious women stood beside their companion with glocks in hand, ready to shoot. Their hard eyes observing their opponents equal in group number.

The sun was beginning to fade outside the three broken windows in the room. Out somewhere in rural South Korea they had somehow become trapped in an abandoned girl’s school. The building consisting of two wings, five floors each. Age had viciously demolished the building. Paint on the walls was peeling, flies buzzed about, and wild dogs continuously howled, barking in the distance.

The school abandoned due to a dwindling number of students enrolling was now nothing but rubbish in the open, in the middle of nowhere forgotten and trashed – a perfect location to murder and bury the dead; only none of the six girls were willing to go down.

It was obvious the uniformed women were here to bring the trio of thieves into custody. On the left of the room two righteous women ruthlessly stared them down, determined to get their partner back on their side – the pretty long haired woman whose head was sandwiched against the desk and the merciless hand of a fair woman whose face was cut and bruised from a punch.

Further pressing the gun to agent Son’s head Namjoo screamed, “Tell us what’s going on!”

“I won’t say it again,” Yoon Bomi hissed tightening her clutch onto the handgun, her face damp with sweat and strands spilling out from her tied back hair. “Let her go.

Sidestepping into her view to block Namjoo, Chorong dangerously tilted her head back stubbornly with aim on point at Bomi’s forehead. Whispering back to Namjoo, “Keep her down. We’re going to get out of here.”

“Back down,” Eunji immediately ordered when the aggressively tall woman beside Chorong shifted toward a desk. Turning her immediate attention back to the petite woman with an old white button down tied into a knot over her blue tee, she hissed, “Move. We won’t shoot.”

Chorong did not miss the side eyed glance Eunji shot her partner. In the split of a second she screamed out, “Do it now!”

Kicking her long leg out Hayoung immediately shoved a row of desks toward the two government agents, forcing them back. They would have run if not for the strange rumbling sounds coming from outside.

“Fall down!” Eunji screamed.

Out of confusion, Namjoo let Naeun go and immediately dropped to the ground along with her gang members. A roar of pellets blast into the room so fast that her heart jumped up and none of the six moved for the two minutes the shots continued firing.

The silence that came after was deafening, haunting.

Raising head up someone whispered, “What was that?”

“Stay down,” Eunji warned, quietly crawling toward the window to peek outside. The yard was barren but her eyes quickly shot toward the left wing to see shadows lurking among the halls. Her brows twitched in utter confusion before a soft stampede of dozens of footsteps scurried down the hallway.

On instinct she crawled forward on her knees, pushed down a desk for cover just as another round of bullets roared into the room from the open doorways and window of the classroom. As glass shattered one of the thieves swore loudly, “What the !”

Hidden flat onto her tummy, Bomi whispered from beside her, “What the hell is going on?!”

“I don’t know!” Eunji hissed in reply. “We can’t stay here! Move!”

Raising her head up with the extension of her arm she immediately pulled the trigger of her gun. The heavy weight of a man tumbled down to the wooden floorboard outside. Beside her, agent Yoom Bomi rose up onto her knees and crept around the room to angle her aim at the doorway. Three more rounds and two perpetrators outside were down.

“Move!” Eunji screamed out.

Everyone scrambled up immediately. From the corner of her left eye she caught sight of the petite thief lashing her arm out to attack an attacker head on with a headlock before tumbling him to the ground senseless. In the midst of confusion one by one footsteps of men eased into the room for a direct assault.

“Eunji, no!” she felt Naeun lock arms around her behind to keep her gun low. “They’re government soldiers!”

Her mind immediately went point blank before Naeun shoved a branded government tag she'd retrieved from a fallen soldier in front of her eyes. The dim glow of the setting sun allowed her to recognize the unique government mark similar to theirs. As doubt zipped through her a fist shot out, slamming so hard against her face she thought she heard her jaw cracking along the way to the floorboards. Naeun gave out a shout as she toppled underneath her. Within a mere second her head twisted to the side upon the head of a gun pressed to her temple.

Her brain would blow, scatter as he pulled the trigger and the bullet crashed into her head. She had done it numerous times herself and recalled how the warmth of blood splattered onto her face as her victim dropped to the ground dead. This time, something deep inside her told her she wouldn’t be the murderer, the champion. She would be the victim.

A grunt bellowed above her. A kind of sick noise sounded when Hayoung pulled the knife out of the soldier’s back before shoving him to the side. The tall woman stared down at her with a dangerous glare in her eye as miscellaneous noises continued to crash in the air around them, everyone locked into their own battle of survival.

“Get up, unless you want to die,” Hayoung savagely said.

Rising to her feet, Naeun after her, Eunji stared at the woman appalled and grateful for the help. Another round of footsteps swarmed toward them from outside and realizing that if they didn’t escape the classroom, would be trapped like a bunch of dogs against hornets.

“We have to run!” Eunji shouted. “Everyone, out!”

Shoving and pushing against the bodies of the man Eunji made it out of the hallway grabbing the arm of whoever she could. Outside the window as she, along with whoever was behind her, the moon rising in the sky followed. Their footsteps pounded the stairs and without knowing where she was going slid a door open. Her heavy step clambered against the gym door as darkness swarmed in around her.

Turning around she called out, “Bomi?”

But the heads of the two persons behind her made no reply. All of a sudden small hands snatched the collar of her button down, pulling her forward dangerously.

“Who are you?” the familiar voice hissed. “What is a government agent doing running from her own mates?”

“Chorong…” Hayoung called out from behind.

A hand released her before Chorong pulled a switchblade out from her shirt and held the small blade up to her neck. “Since you’re alone without your partners, I can easily kill you.” Chorong stared into her eyes with a bloodthirsty stare. “Answer me.”

~~>~~>~~>

“Who are you?!” Naeun shrieked, wielding a desk in her hand swinging it around ferociously, her handgun having been lost from the earlier fall with Eunji. The brusque man before her dodged skillfully but Naeun, too, skillfully moved from side to side to keep the gun in his hand low.

She was starting to pant, her arms tiring. Someone – something jumped in the air colliding with the man. They landed on the ground with a loud thump. In the next second Naeun heard the man grunting along with the vicious sound effects from punching of his face until he was barely moving. Tossing the desk aside Naeun watched the woman who’d previously held her down straighten up to look at her with a malicious glint in her eyes.

The classroom became sullen and quiet, barely disarrayed with darkness now that the sun had suddenly disappeared. Before Naeun could do anything Bomi rushed in, tightening an arm around the thief’s neck and pressed her handgun to her forehead.

“Don’t move,” Bomi panted, her hair now a mess loose of tangles.

The woman raised her hands coolly as if admitting surrender, eyes jotting toward the side as if to look back at Bomi. The glint in her eyes was so cold it made her appear barbaric. Bitter from how she’d been aggressively manhandled by her earlier Naeun bent down to grab the unconscious man’s gun and held it to her head.

Cold wind breezed in through the warm room as silence spun around them now that the men who were earlier heading their way had gone after the other three.

“Your group mates have abandoned you, it seems,” Bomi commented. “Make a move and I’ll shoot.”

Namjoo neither stiffened nor cowered. As fast as a bullet she gripped onto Bomi’s gun twisting it up toward the ceiling and kicked Naeun away. Freeing herself from them she rushed out the open doorway, immediately halting when a soldier waiting for them lifted his rifle at her. Bomi and Naeun who had quickly rushed after her immediately halted as well.

Like earlier, Namjoo threw her arms up as Bomi and Naeun froze behind her. Bomi turned to look behind her upon the noise of incoming footsteps. A fury of debate washed through her mind. Just before she could act Naeun shot the man down, leaving her left ear ringing deliriously then brushed past her.

“We don’t have time. Eunji already left, we need to run too and find them,” Naeun whispered quickly before running down the hall. Bomi shot Namjoo a glare before breaking out into a run after her partner. An instant later she heard Namjoo running behind them as the pounding footsteps behind them became more urgent.

For a long five minutes they zigzagged around the same floor confused, re-entering the connected hallways before finding themselves back at where they had started. Trapped back in the classroom Naeun’s eyes scurried around in search of an idea before she heard more glass shards flying to the ground behind them. Glancing behind her she caught sight of Namjoo clearing the broken glass from the window and poked her head outside.

“What are you doing?” Bomi questioned.

“Go out there, you die,” Namjoo whispered, “this is the only way out.”

“We’re four floors up!” Bomi raised her voice, frantic with the idea of jumping outside.

“Then you waste the rest of your bullets in here, because I am not going die like a dog before I find out who they are,” Namjoo muttered before leaping out. Naeun watched Bomi race over to the window to look out then turned to her.

“Lets go,” Bomi said.

“What? Are you crazy?” Naeun questioned then glanced behind her at the nearing stampede of soldiers. Biting her lower lip she listened to Bomi say, “She’s right. We waste our remaining energy and die in this room or we find a way out.”

Naeun watched Bomi leap out, her faint footsteps landing onto the field below. With breath caught in Naeun closed her eyes and jumped out as well, but the second she landed onto the prickly grass slipped over onto her knees. Heights were her worst enemy. Now her heart was rampaging more than panic.

“Naeun!” Bomi screamed from the distance. She barely lifted her head up before ducking when bullets flew out of the second floor window and she caught the shouting of men’s voices to one another.

“!” she cursed before a shadow lunged across the field.

“Will you ing hurry up?” she recognized Namjoo’s voice as the woman lugged her to her feet. Letting go of her hand as she broke out into a fast run Naeun hurried after her. It was dark now and following her was an obstacle.

“Hurry!” Bomi urged from the door she held open by the corner. She slammed the lightweight door shut when the three of them were in. Due to the darkness and unseeing steps they collided down one after another, landing on the hard concrete below.

“…” Namjoo swore before clambering off Bomi and coughing from the dust swirling around them.

“Where are we?” Naeun rose to her feet and listened to someone swipe further dust off their clothing.

“Hold on,” Bomi reached for her phone.

“We have no reception out here,” Naeun reminded.

“Flashlight. I still have some battery left.” Bomi stated turning her phone on.

“We’re going to get caught, put that down,” Namjoo ordered as the light of phone glowed in the room.

Naeun cautiously scanned the room before Bomi’s flashlight flashed out a bright ray of light. The walls smelled of mothballs. Drawings on the wall – the marking the graffiti and some other things passersby had done to left their mark. Animals seemed to have visited the basement through the broken window by the high ceiling.

“…it smells,” Bomi raised her wrist to her nose.

“Looks like the basement,” Naeun commented walking forward. “There’s an entryway over there.”

“Head back up to get shot by someone waiting? I don’t think so,” Namjoo rudely remarked with a shake of her head.

Bomi shot her an irritated glare. “We have no choice. We need to find the others.”

“No,” Namjoo stubbornly refused, staring the two of them down then pulled out her gun and raised it. “You two are tricking me. You’re going to get me killed, aren’t you?”

Naeun’s brows twitched at the assumption. Bomi first cut in, “Then what the hell were you doing here first? You answer and I’ll answer you.”

Namjoo narrowed her eyes, “You’re government people. So are they.” Her eyes shot toward the trademark badge plastered to the hip of their jeans. “I heard you say it earlier.” Her eyes dashed over to Naeun. “Explain to me first, what is going on.”

Huffing, Bomi bolstered toward her with heavyweight steps and grabbed the collar of her shirt. “I would have killed you earlier, you rude vagrant. Think about that.” Shoving her back Bomi turned to walk toward the entryway. “We’re here to be slaughtered too, otherwise,” she turned to shoot Namjoo a stare through narrow slit eyes, “they wouldn’t have attacked us.”

Naeun shot Namjoo a glimpse through her callous eyes before brushing past to follow Bomi. Pressing her teeth together Namjoo followed.

~~>~~>~~>

Eunji stared straight into Chorong’s dark pupils. Grabbing her hand she shoved her back grumbling, “I don’t know.”

The answer was unsatisfactory. Chorong snatched her collar again and hissed, “I need a better answer than that.”

“Someone’s coming,” Hayoung warned. They turned at the faint sound of footsteps. Chorong switched her attention to give her a last warning through her eyes before scampering off to hide in the darkness. Gripping her gun Eunji darted toward the bleachers and leaned against it. She, too, would love to know what was going on.

Closing her eyes, Eunji listened to the sound of footsteps counting the pair of feet entering the gym. Their footsteps were light and cautious, an approach to let them know they were surrounded. Probably more than a dozen of them had entered. Why the hell were their government soldiers here? And more than that, why had she along with Bomi and Naeun been lured here?

Damn it, she silently cussed. She shouldn’t have split up from Chorong and Hayoung. It was dark; she wouldn’t know who was who if everyone began fighting all at once. But Hayoung had a knife on her, Eunji noted. Among the men Chorong was petite. She would also need to find out why the three underground thieves were here to be haunted down like animals.

Remaining as quiet as an ant she crept out from behind the bleachers, struggling to adjust her eyes to the dark. On the other side, Chorong and Hayoung were carrying out their own plan of a direct attack. The three of the thieves used to sneaking their way around bodyguards and skillfully stealing jewelry from all over South Korea. The soldiers weren’t much different than the many vicious gang members they had come across. They might not have built muscles like gym trainers but they were equal in power, many of their tactics relying on particular parts of the body, not just on muscle mass.

Lurking among the men on her knees Chorong leapt up, winding her arms around the first victim’s neck and squeezed. There was a grunt as Hayoung slashed his Achilles tendon and Chorong flipped him flat onto the gym floor. Swiftly moving onto her next target holding him blindly from behind she waited for Hayoung’s knife to plunder into his stomach before tossing him away like a rag.

There was a gunshot that made the men in the room move around furiously. One more, two more, thrice more the shots came more furiously. Chorong pulled Hayoung back as one by one the men started dropping to the floor.

“Over here!” Eunji screamed.

Chorong glanced at Hayoung through the darkness before pulling her toward the voice. The government agent blindly reached out for them and together they hurried toward the bleachers. The stampede of government soldiers followed, pounding up the bleachers in search of them.

“Stay together,” Eunji whispered, “if you don’t want to get shot.”

Upon the tug of her arm, Chorong pulled her switchblade out and stabbed the blade into the wrist of whomever before kicking him aside as he screamed from pain. Then pulling her gun out with her other hand began shooting throughout the gym. Shadows seemed to loom over them from every which corner and their backs brushed as Hayoung continuously bumped back into them from kicking and swinging her dangerous knife around. The various shouts of men floated onto the ground floor before Hayoung urged them toward the light streaming in through the hallway.

The full moon shone brightly into the room through the window in the hallway as they ran out and darted down the hallway.

“How the do we get out of here?” Chorong hissed from behind.

“I don’t know. If the school wasn’t so big…” Eunji muttered.

The stairs down were up ahead but as they ran past a window a random bullet blast through the window, forcing Eunji down to her face as the bullet struck her shoulder. At the speed of light Chorong and Hayoung ducked down onto their knees to keep out of view.

Groaning, Eunji reached up to touch her bleeding shoulder. “…”

Turning back to glance out the window Hayoung whispered irate, “Who the …”

“Get up,” Chorong ruthlessly ordered. “We need to move, fast. We’re probably surrounded.”

Rising to her feet Eunji clambered down the stairs as warm liquid seeped through her shirt and poured down her arm. Chorong immediately pulled her to a halt as they reached the corner wall by the stairs and ripped a part of her old button with her switch blade. Tearing a long piece of she wrapped it up her arm and over the wound on her shoulder.

“It’ll be a pity if you die like a pig out here,” her bitter eyes landed on hers.

“A pity it would be,” Eunji agreed and muttered a thanks before they resumed their escape. Once they entered the corridor lined with windows they began crawling one after another to keep from view.   

“There should be a village if we travel on foot,” Eunji explained. “I looked up a map of this area before we were sent here.”

“Sent here?” Hayoung repeated.

“We were told to come investigate a drug case here, instead we ran into you guys,” Eunji told.

“We were chased here,” Chorong confessed. “What the hell is going on?”

“I don’t know,” Eunji breathed starting to become exhausted. “It feels like we’re being exterminated here. Those guys keep on coming. Someone’s probably watching us, just don’t know who.”

“Exterminate?” Chorong frowned from the absurdity of it. “Why the hell would they want to exterminate us, like they want to get rid of us. Locking us in would make more sense.”  

“That’s why…” Eunji glanced out the corner of her eye into the soulless classrooms they passed, “something is weird.”

~~>~~>~~>

“Quiet,” Bomi ordered ing her hand out to stop Naeun and Namjoo. Switching her phone off she tucked it back into the back pocket of her jeans and glanced up into the impending darkness.

“Someone up there?” Naeun whispered.

“Not sure,” Bomi replied before stepping forward cautiously with her gun out in front of her. “Stay armed.”

Naeun and Namjoo quietly moved behind her, all their bodies glued along the wall as they crept up the stairs. Hearts pounded hard against their s as they held their breaths and neared the top landing.

Bomi quickly swung her arm back and forth frantically around the hallway white with moonlight. No one. Clear and empty.

There was another doorway up ahead that led toward the soccer field outside. She recalled Eunji mentioning a nearby village before they arrived here in their SUV. If they could get to their car again…

Her heart nearly burst upon the incoming rumble of footsteps and barely pulled the trigger. “Bomi!” Eunji shouted.

Narrowing her eyes she stepped forward slowly before quickening her pace. Eunji rushed toward them with the two others, her shoulder badly bandaged up.

“What happened?!” she demanded when they neared.

“Gunshot, it’s fine,” Eunji explained. “There’s a doorway…”

“The car,” Bomi stated with a nod. “I have the keys. We need to leave.”

“We’re surrounded,” Chorong reminded coming up from behind Eunji.

“The car’s not far,” Bomi began but Namjoo cut her off.

“The school’s big. We’re open targets out there.” Namjoo pointed out.

Hayoung ran her eyes over them, “We just have to hide along the building. It’s dark out.”

“We don’t have a choice,” Naeun muttered. “We need to leave now.”

Eunji nodded in agreement, “There are more soldiers in this school. We can’t continue to stay here and make ourselves targets either. We need to go now.”

With quiet approval they moved as one toward the front door and clambered down the steps quietly with half of them out on the lookout behind and the others at the front. The second they walked through the doors a flash of bright white lights blinded them, forcing them to a halt. A dozen portable bulbs had been set up a mile away and a line of soldiers all armed with long rifles and arms of the like were aimed at them, ready to massacre.

“Put your hands up,” a voice blared through the speakerphone – the man standing between the rows of government soldiers. “And drop your weapons.” 


***Woot! Fierce girls ftw! Well, the oneshot introduction ends here. If I have time in the future I'll write up the storyline but for now back to my current story.